Sporks and Butter Knives

London and New York have about the same population.  The Times reports that in February, London managed to finally beat New York in the number of (monthly) murders due to "a dramatic surge in knife crime".  London looks like it will beat the yanks again in March 22 to 21.  It's been a long time coming as for the past few years London's murder rate has steadily increased (even excluding Islamic terrorism) while New York has seen a steady decrease.

The knives are to blame.

This begs the question, when will the Brits come to their senses and finally ban knives and similar pointy objects.  Brits (and Europe in general) just aren't responsible enough to handle anything beyond sporks and butter knives (and we may have to rethink the butter knives).

Anyone who disagrees with this is complicit in murder by the way.  You heartless bastards!

Comments

Pardero Added Apr 2, 2018 - 4:27pm
TexasLynn,
I strongly considered writing on this subject, though you have done a better job than I would have. The Brits are determined to reach parity with us, in all the wrong areas. Criminals seem to be willing to ply their trade, no matter what the available tools of that trade happen to be.
Leroy Added Apr 2, 2018 - 4:36pm
Oh my gosh!  Will Opher now turn inward to problems in his own country?  We all know the answer to that.  The US must die.

While in China, the thing to do seem to take a knife and slaughter a bunch of school children.  I imagine that far more children died in these slaughters than children in the US.  If wasn't uncommon for a dozen to be killed at a time.  The government unsuccessfully tried to hide the stories.  Eventually, retailers were forced to put big knives and meat cleavers behind locked doors.  To buy one, you had to give your national ID, or, in my case, passport number.  If someone is determined to kill, they will find a way.  There are psychos everywhere.
Thomas Sutrina Added Apr 2, 2018 - 4:36pm
I can suggest a spoon and fork combination that will cause less chance of murder, a spork or a  foon.   So you could have a round non sharp elongated spoon that would have the sides be a knife, knoon or spife. Not the real solution is to then put an extension of three 'v' spikes on the tip and get all three in one but you may have to poor the contents of the spoon into the mouth, sporife.   Made from plastic and your home with a poor everything but especially a weapon.

Maybe we need to go digital and use thick credit card (an ad on TV has a sharpener getting the edge of a normal credit card that cuts tomatoes) with a optical transfer transmitter and reader.  Can not use magnetic waves because someone not intended can spy on you.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 2, 2018 - 4:44pm
Lynn, you will be shocked but it is sometimes difficult to buy a kitchen knife in London. Young people have to prove their age to buy one. I bet that some are completely forbidden. It is utterly ridiculous. The police is bogged down in paper work and hardly armed. They only get tough when they look after thought crime. And the Mayor is a cuck.
TexasLynn Added Apr 2, 2018 - 5:49pm
Pardero >> I strongly considered writing on this subject, though you have done a better job than I would have.

Thank you for the compliment.  We all know that I am a Zen master or sarcasm.  I was a natural to begin with, but now have been honing that skill for many decades. :)  I often pity those who suffer at the tip of my pen. :)

Pardero >> The Brits are determined to reach parity with us, in all the wrong areas.

And us them when it comes to socialism.

Pardero >> Criminals seem to be willing to ply their trade, no matter what the available tools of that trade happen to be.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... criminals?  They are as much the victims here as anybody.

That issue is secondary to the much bigger problem of the general availability of sentient pointy objects in the hands of a populace too backwards even hope to resist their influence.  It's as if the object wields the person. :)

And how could Parliament (a hundred or two hundred years ago) when these things were regulated have ever of conceived of such objects that are both pointy AND sharp at the same time.  It's madness I tell you! :)
TexasLynn Added Apr 2, 2018 - 5:50pm
Leroy >> Will Opher now turn inward to problems in his own country?

An obvious rhetorical question. :)

Leroy >> The US must die.

Yes die, but with no hatred or malice towards that which must always die, die, die!  :)

Leroy >> While in China, the thing to do seem to take a knife and slaughter a bunch of school children.

Whoa... I was totally unaware of this... I guess the Chinese state media was pretty good at their job there.

Leroy >> If someone is determined to kill, they will find a way.  There are psychos everywhere.

And here we thought it was a strictly American phenomenon.
TexasLynn Added Apr 2, 2018 - 5:51pm
Thomas >> However what do you do with pencils, pens, keys, etc.  You know anything that is long and thin that will sufficient force will puncture flesh?

I would suggest that Brits start eating with the hands and writing with poo.  Not necessarily at the same time.

Once all pointy objects are registered and then confiscated there will be no need for keys.  All will be serene and safe; thus, no need for locks.

As for cars, they are fossil fuel burning monstrosities anyway whose drivers should be flogged.  Transportation can be achieved with a combination of green energy, pixie dust, and good intentions.
Dave Volek Added Apr 2, 2018 - 5:51pm

TexasLynn Added Apr 2, 2018 - 5:52pm
BG >> Lynn, you will be shocked but it is sometimes difficult to buy a kitchen knife in London.

Little shocks me today... but I have to admit that I am a bit shocked here.  What about the likes of axes, hatchets, and machetes?

BG >> Young people have to prove their age to buy one. I bet that some are completely forbidden.

Well, I suspect that an unaccompanied child might be forbidden from buying a sharp knife in a store (here in the U.S.), but that would be at the discretion and common sense of the clerk. (So 50/50 now that I think about it) There would definitely be no paperwork if the purchase went through.

Police processing paperwork for people buying knives?  Moronic.

On a totally unrelated subject, the last time I bought a gun (a few months ago); I was very surprised and impressed with the process.  I filled out the forms (for the background check), the owner input the information, got the clearance, and fifteen minutes later I walked out the door, weapon in hand.  No human being on the federal end was ever involved as far as I can tell.

BG >> They only get tough when they look after thought crime.

We can't preach on that one... "Hate crime" is nothing less that thought crime here in the U.S. dependent on subjective judgment.

BG >> And the Mayor is a cuck.

Yeah... that's obvious and all too common.  Canada has one for Prime Minister.  We (the U.S.) just got rid of one in our last President.

I'm glad to see a little Yippee ki-yay cowboy diplomacy for a change. :)
TexasLynn Added Apr 2, 2018 - 6:18pm
Dave >> This article seems to suggest that those of us not happy with the current freedom of firearms really want to to ban all firearms.

Really?  That wasn’t my intent, BUT… now that you mention it; present company excluded... yes... yes it does.  Some are honest about it (which is refreshing) some are not.

One who is honest about it: Repeal the Second Amendment, by John Paul Stevens, retired associate justice of the United States Supreme Court.

Dave >> This is nowhere near the truth.

Oooops... let me give that link again... Repeal the Second Amendment, by John Paul Stevens, retired associate justice of the United States Supreme Court.

Dave >> Many of us have no big issues with hunters, target shooters, and  collectors.

And many of you do.  More do than care (or who are willing) to admit it... again, present company excluded.

Dave >> While we ourselves prefer other pastimes, we are not about to ban those pastimes.

The right to keep and bear arms (here in the U.S.) is not a "pastime".  It is an unalienable right.  As unalienable as the right to free speech, the right to assembly, and the right to religious freedom.  To attempt to degrade it to a mere “pastime” is a gross mis-characterization to what it really is.

Dave >> To my thinking, using a gun should require a license. The license should show 1) competence, 2) clean criminal record, and 3) mental stability.

Yeah... I was just thinking the same requirements should be placed on the freedom of speech (before moving on to other constitutional pastimes).

It's only logical, the founding fathers could not have foreseen the speed of communications today... radio, TV, 24 hour cable news, the advent of the Internet, Facebook.

Surely, we can all agree, with all this unforeseen advancement we can toss the Bill of Rights written by old dead white guys aside.  What's good for the goose (the 2nd Amendment) is good for the gander (the 1st).  Is it not?

Dave >> If someone is using a gun and there is no license, the gun is confiscated. Do this a few more times, then there should be a short prison sentence.

Absolutely.  As soon as we require a license for all other unalienable pastimes... I'm in.  But then again, one of the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to defend against such abuse of the 1st… so hopefully it won't come to that.

Dave, thanks for teeing that up so nicely. :)
A. Jones Added Apr 2, 2018 - 7:15pm
The UK in general has a much higher rate of violent crime than the U.S.: e.g., assaults, muggings, battery, rapes, and as you pointed out, knife crimes, are more numerous in the UK than they are in the U.S.

Part of the problem with crime statistics — aside from the usual problem of defining and categorizing different sorts of crimes uniformly between the two countries — is that the UK (unlike the U.S.) has for many years simply lied about the number of crimes committed in its borders. UK newspaper articles have attested to the fact that their police have been pressured to under-report crimes (or miscategorize them) in order to make it appear that the rate of violent crimes is lower than it really is.
Mark Hunter Added Apr 3, 2018 - 4:28am
Spoons can be sharpened into shanks, you know. I suggest liquifying all public food, and having it stored in plastic bags that are too small to suffocate people with.
Shane Laing Added Apr 3, 2018 - 4:29am
Now the view from the UK.  Yes knife crime is on the increase, youths carrying knives to school, carrying them when in their gangs. Yet the UK government gets rid of stop and search by the police because the police targeted mostly young black youths,  who were the most prolific group carrying knives because it was racial profiling. Oh well, lets forget about crime as long as political correctness is paramount.
Leroy Added Apr 3, 2018 - 7:48am
My, how the times have changed.  I used to carry a pocket knife to school every day from an early age.  Teachers and school administrator were well aware of it.  It's a habit that continues to today.  I even carried one on airplanes until they cracked down on knives.  I remember in the 90s traveling back from Paris, I was screened by Delta.  They said I wasn't allowed to carry a knife onboard and said I had to give it to Delta and then pick it up in Atlanta.  While standing in line, Inspector Clouseau from the airport security approaches me an asks me why I was standing in that line.  I told him.  He asked to see the knife.  When he saw the Swiss army knife, his response was, "Dat little ting?"
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 9:02am
AJ >> the UK (unlike the U.S.) has for many years simply lied about the number of crimes committed in its borders.

That doesn't surprise me, as a nation loses its freedoms, the state suppresses and controls information to fit it's narrative.  Our media is complicit as long as the left is the government.  It becomes the "resistance" when the right is in charge.
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 9:02am
MH >>  I suggest liquifying all public food, and having it stored in plastic bags that are too small to suffocate people with.

Forgot about those dam plastic bags!  Good catch.  There's no way British forefathers could have foreseen the advancement in bags.  How big and air-tight they could be made.
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 9:04am
SL >> Yes knife crime is on the increase, youths carrying knives to school, carrying them when in their gangs.

Yes... it's the same thing over here with gangs and weapons.  I really would like the statistics broken down into what percentage of gun/knife deaths are really gang bangers killing each other.

Yes... that's still a problem; but less so than the death of innocent victims.

SL >> Yet the UK government gets rid of stop and search by the police because the police targeted mostly young black youths who were the most prolific group carrying knives because it was racial profiling.

Same here. Political correctness must rule supreme.  It's a left/socialist mindset in that all must suffer equally (and the process be less effective) so as to not offend the minority that is the cause of most of the problems.  That goes for street crime to airport security.
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 9:06am
Leroy >> My, how the times have changed.  I used to carry a pocket knife to school every day from an early age.  Teachers and school administrator were well aware of it.

You and I were of the same mindset.  I always had a pocket knife with me and still do today.  There was a policy against it when I went to school but the teachers ignored it if you showed a modicum of common sense.  As I stated before, I also had guns in my pickup parked in the school parking lot.  Luckily, they never threated anybody.

Leroy >> I even carried one on airplanes until they cracked down on knives.

As did I when before the Islamic terrorism made everything crazy.

My one experience was watching an 80+ year old man in a wheelchair get caught with a pocket knife at the airport screening.  The security guys flipped into fascist mode terrorizing the man and his family.  I think the only thing that brought them back to reality was the few hecklers and the cell phones recording what they were going.
Dino Manalis Added Apr 3, 2018 - 9:14am
Knives can be dangerous, too, it's not just guns!  Criminals and the mentally-ill are determined!
Bill Kamps Added Apr 3, 2018 - 9:31am
Metal butter knives can be sharpened without a lot of effort.

Perhaps just plastic knives.
Bill Kamps Added Apr 3, 2018 - 10:20am
One thing I find amusing about the airlines, is that they will give you a real metal steak knife in business class with your dinner, but they wont let you take even a pen knife on the plane in your pocket.  Just one of those oddities of the weird security we live in.
Rusty Smith Added Apr 3, 2018 - 11:36am
This is horrible news, until now I thought we could become safe if we locked up all our murdering guns...  oh but now it's knives too.  Please give me a moment of silence of while I clutch my pearls.

Oh but perhaps I'm safer here in the US because our culture is different, we're not crazy like those Brit's.  I think the UK needs to take drastic steps and consider strong knife control laws.  No one needs a knife!

That's a fact everyone with kids already knows, food can be cut up in factories where the knives are more easily accounted for and can be locked up at the end of each shift so they can't kill anyone at night.  In China they don't have knives at the dinner table, Brits don't need them either.  Wouldn't it be worth giving them up if it saved one life?

Perhaps if Brits were required to take knife safety classes before buying one they would know better than to stab and slash each other, heck it might not even be the knife's fault...  Ok I know better, if the knife wasn't there...

I wouldn't be surprised if some Brits commit suicide with knives, there should at least be a waiting period and background checks before one can be bought.  Perhaps it's also a storage problem, if they had to be locked up when they weren't used, fewer might get out and kill someone.

Even more obvious no one should be traveling with one unless it's securely locked in a suitable container.  You never know when one might try taking a lunge at some innocent bystander.
opher goodwin Added Apr 3, 2018 - 11:43am
Lynn - Yes New York has become remarkably civilised, in comparison to other US cities. How have they done that?
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:28pm
Opher >> New York has become remarkably civilised, in comparison to other US cities.

Opher!  And here I was expecting you to sit this one out!

Your statement/assumption concerning New York is unfortunately erroneous.  New York has simply followed the trend throughout the U.S. since the 90s.  It has done better than some cities and not as well as others.

The bigger question IS, why has London recently gone in the opposite direction given what we know about European controls?

Opher >> How have they done that?

WE (the U.S.) have done that mainly via support of law enforcement AND incarceration rates.  Two things the left would have us reverse (so as to be more woke and like Europe).

Let me throw you a bone.  Under Rudy Giuliani and even Bloomberg, New York cracked down on crime.  Everything from pissing on the sidewalk to ... yes, illegal possession of guns.  This worked because they had a stop and frisk policy for gang bangers (mostly minorities).  I think that policy has since been discontinued now that de Blazio is mayor and political correctness has returned.
Bill Kamps Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:29pm
Rusty, just think how much more painful it is to be stabbed to death with a knife, especially if the person does not know how to use it properly.  It is easy  to make the case that guns are a much more humane way to kill someone.

Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:29pm
knife crimes, are more numerous in the UK than they are in the U.S.

Sure, Why bother with a knife when you can have a gun LOL

BTW: I never felt really unsafe neither in NYC or London. Why ? Because I mostly knew where to go and where not, and I felt more unsafe in smaller US cities or suburbs.

Never in the UK. Just go to the closest pub, joke and drink with the guys and they protect you ;-) That's what I did in the US too. Depends on one's behavior. You don't walk around Dakar at night with jewellery hanging from everywhere or get cash out of a machine at 3am.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:32pm
BTW: Everything can be a weapon. A screwdriver, even a ball pen. The surprise moment is what counts, nothing else.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:36pm
BTW2: That's why I recommend everybody who plans a longer travel to learn Jiu-Jitsu (as I did), Karate or a similar defense system. That way you have at least a chance to avoid that surprise moment and/or can react quickly. A pencil in your neck is no fun...
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:40pm
BTW3: I never carried a knife or a weapon with me. Why ? Because when you pull it the guy on the other side might know better than you how to handle it and suddenly it sticks in you LOL
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 12:46pm
Rusty

Huh ?? How do they cut meat then ? I mean every dinner table I have seen in my life has at least one per person, often two (one to use combined with the fork and one to cut the meat), and we use sharp ones in Switzerland.

Never heard of an incident with a knife on a dinner table.
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 1:43pm
One thing my father explained to me concerning pulling a gun on another man.... If the situation has reached that point, make the decision if you're willing to pull the trigger before you pull the gun.  And if the answer is no; don't (pull the gun).
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 1:44pm
Rusty,
You have, or course, hit on the gist of the entire post.  The weapon of choice is not the problem.  In one city the guns are prolific, in the other they are banned and murder by various means continues in both.
Tamara Wilhite Added Apr 3, 2018 - 2:06pm
Banning guns obviously doesn't stop bad people from hurting others.
And the UK is suffering from a horrific rape problem because they won't admit WHO is committing the crimes.

Why Did British Police Ignore Muslim Gangs Abusing 1,400 Rotherham Children? Political Correctness

Grooming gangs abused more than 700 women and girls around Newcastle after police appeared to punish victims

'Girls must be saved from going through this hell': Call for public inquiry into Telford sex scandal as it emerges up to 1,000 children as young as 11 were drugged, beaten and raped over 40 years

But the British will arrest people who criticize Islam's rape culture under their hate speech rules.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 2:45pm
Tamara

One could think that all of Europe is under an agenda of destabilization, and the politicians in power are greased to follow this agenda.

Otherwise it would not be possible that people like Merkel let a million refugees in KNOWING that among them there MUST be potential terrorists who plan and do attacks if they can.

Patriot act and fear can produce results like we see them already: Mass surveillance and control.

The question is: What's the ultimate goal ?

That's what I think. These people aren't dumb, while we dumbphone and watch stupid soap operas and are occupied to feed our families on low-paid jobs.

Keep people occupied, tired, and then manipulate them because they don't have the power left to THINK.
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 2:47pm
Tamara, Really good points.  Sometimes not falling in line with the official narrative becomes a thought crime.    The sane among us see this as a horrible direction.

I'll remind everyone that in George Orwell's 1984, Big Brother was not content for the main character (Winston) to give lip service to the state narrative.  The system to deal with such malcontents did not seek simple compliance, but unwavering belief and love for the system and the narrative.

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother." -- George Orwell, 1984, last paragraph
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 2:51pm
BTW: Political correctness does not exist. It's a method to flatten edges and de-individualize people. At least that's what I think. And when they don't have an identity of their own left, they will also not be capable to judge what's wrong or right. Because EVERYBODY IS NEITHER WRONG NOR RIGHT. No personal opinion = no point of view. Only 160 emotional letters on Twitter.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 2:57pm
Lynn

That's what I mean. PC is a part of big brother.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:14pm
BTW:

I see that gun discussion in the US from two sides:

1. Less guns with the ordinary guy means more control by the economic dictatorship (="democracy"). Open question is what John Doe can do against SWAT teams and IF he would have the courage to go against them.

2. Status Quo in guns means crime and shootings go on as ever. But then ask yourself what creates that violence ? Not the guns but the living conditions people are in. More jobs, higher standard, less violence. Less jobs, underpaid jobs, less health care...

Now WHO would be interested in either condition ?

1. The government (economy). Control stays with them for sure.

2. The government (economy) as well. Why ? Less jobs will force more poor youths into the army to serve as cannon fodder for wars abroad, because at home there's no jobs. Cash for the MIC. Violence will also enable the government again to even stronger tighten the laws and set up MORE SWAT teams.

Either way, people lose.

Until they stand up and SEE what shit happens. And let go of the unidirectional indoctrination that "socialism" is the devil and only neoliberal capitalism brings a bright future. Does it ? I think not...why ?

Because people in the US were never ALLOWED to understand what "socialism" really means. Talk about big brother ;-)
Tamara Wilhite Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:15pm
Stone-Eater Friedli End goal, undermine Western civilization because liberals think it is evil and everyone else is inherently better. That's why they both want more immigrants and say that for them to assimilate is bad.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:28pm
liberals think it is evil and everyone else is inherently better

That's a simple perversion of '69 ideals and being used by the econopolicy.

Nope. Many of them (here) think like that because they're fed up by the wars that cause the refugees and have real mercy. But they don't consider the fact that people bring their culture with them.

And that goes deeper and breaks through again once they are better off. Often the parents are grateful and assimilate. I see that here. We have had economic immigrants in Switzerland since the 1950's. But their kids who were born here don't find a job, want too much, rebel against the parents who ARE assimilated, and use a false pride to release their aggression against a country they were born in but "refuses to give us a chance because we're not REALLY native". And unsocial media plays its part. Did you notice that many problems started with social media ?

It's complicated.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:33pm
BTW: My wife is African. My stepson too. My daughter is mixed. I've had many fights with my stepson who said "Swiss are all racist !" I told him: Listen, your mom brought you here, and I agreed. You can always go back. You won't have more chances in your home country. We're not racist. But we don't like people who use "racist" as an excuse for own failure or laziness.

That's all.

I'm neither a liberal nor a conservative or any -ism asshole. I just tell things as they are.
Doug Plumb Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:47pm
I'd rather be shot than stabbed. I'd rather be stabbed that having my skull crushed with a blunt object.

Dave re "To my thinking, using a gun should require a license. The license should show 1) competence, 2) clean criminal record, and 3) mental stability."

What about knives, blunt objects ? You need to deprogram Dave.

Its all designed to drive you mad. All the fear and stupidity will drive you mad as the Muslims hide stores of weapons inside their Islamic Society buildings and wait for Allah to give the command. All the Jews go back to Israel after we exterminate their enemies in the ME. Then the PTB exterminate the Jews. Everybody dies, Plato's Republic emerges. Its logical. Kill everyone over the age of ten, create a new society based on "perfect justice" as if there is a pie-in-the-sky thing.
Mankind is the enemy of these banks and they have to get us to kill each other. Everything is too crazy to believe otherwise. Everything is being wrecked. The West used to work very well for people, it wasn't perfect, but its where everyone wanted to be.
Doug Plumb Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:48pm
Dave re "This is nowhere near the truth. Many of us have no big issues with hunters, target shooters, and  collectors. While we ourselves prefer other pastimes, we are not about to ban those pastimes. "

Is fear of government irrational?

A. Jones Added Apr 3, 2018 - 3:50pm
the state suppresses and controls information to fit it's narrative.

Yep.

Of course, a private media venue (e.g., The New York Times) is perfectly capable of suppressing information — cherry-picking some facts while omitting others — in order to fit its own narrative. But at least with private ownership and a politically free press, there's the real possibility of competition among different media venues, so that the "truth" — or at least, a more complete picture of events — can find its way out to the public.
Doug Plumb Added Apr 3, 2018 - 4:01pm
Recently a Muslim got convicted for raping ten women, worse since Paul Bernardo. You won't hear that on the CBC. They are wrecking the news too.
Rick W. Added Apr 3, 2018 - 5:18pm
Did you happen to read about the acid attacks? In London, 465 last year alone. It's both a means of robbery and terrorism. For robbery, throw acid, or threaten to, and take a moped/delivery truck/purse. For terror, one guy sprayed acid onto 22 people in a dance club, and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Should there be acid-control? I'd say yes. Show your license to buy Drano, just like we do to buy cough syrup and sudafed, and track purchases. Will it stop the abuse? No, but it would make it harder to get away with it. That's all laws can do.
Dave Volek Added Apr 3, 2018 - 5:40pm
Doug

I got my position from the former president of the Canadian Firearms Association, Dave Tomlinson. I remember him speaking about this circa 1987. It made sense to me then, and still does.

In Canada, we are kind of close to those principles. One just cannot walk into a store and buy a gun. Pistols require more paperwork. We sort of went off course with that gun registry. That was almost as silly as registering knives.

When we fear our government, then we have not built the right kind of government. Check out this alternative.

TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 6:02pm
Rick W >> Did you happen to read about the acid attacks? In London, 465 last year alone.

I have heard of them, mostly in relation to the night club.  I don't remember that being a "terror" attack.  I thought it was just a bunch of punks feuding and one went too far.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I vaguely recall a terror related attack on a bridge or tourist location or something.  I was unaware that the practice of using acid as a weapon had reached such a level in terms of robbery.  But it gets back to human nature making due with whatever is available to make weapons.

It's logical, the acid buys you some form of reach that a knife (without being proficient at throwing one) doesn’t.

I still don't have enough information to speak on the control of acid.  But where does it ever stop.  Track everything everybody buys... I'm not sure I'm there.  There is still the 4th Amendment aspect of reasonable privacy.  I think I would rather see how a few public floggings and/or hangings worked out first.
TexasLynn Added Apr 3, 2018 - 6:07pm
DV >> When we fear our government, then we have not built the right kind of government.

A healthy fear of government is like a healthy fear of a fire near your home.  Both should be watched continually and kept well within scope (size) and bounds (purpose).

Fail to do those things and disaster follows... no matter the government.  It all gets back to understanding the basic principle that government (by its nature) is a necessary evil.  We've forgotten that for too long.
Rusty Smith Added Apr 3, 2018 - 6:26pm
Stone-Eater Friedli I guess I'm not very good at writing sarcasm, but to your point, yes in China it's very rude to unthinkable to have a knife at the table; knives are tools of violence and they consider themselves to be more civilized.  Those same people think it's polite to pick up the bowl and scoop and slurp stuff into their mouths; not a bad thing just different cultural values.

And to be more specific about your question, most things are pre cut into bite sized pieces in the kitchen, but I must say even things that aren't like large fish, they skillfully dissect and chop up using only their chopsticks.

Incidentally it would not be new to outlaw knives that resemble weapons from our dinner tables, that was done in Europe and there was a mandate that all kitchen cutlery be blunted...  That's where our current style of cutlery comes from that has very blunted ends.  It was done to prevent them from being used as weapons, and millions of kitchen knives had the sharp ends cut off at that time.  That is how hard they tried to disarm their citizens, even kitchen knives had to be dull and blunt.  Until that time it was common for people to eat with their fingers and a pointy knife.  The blunting of knives also made forks much more necessary and popular.

This is not the first generation that tried to reduce crime and the potential for an armed insurrection by taking weapons away from the people.
Leroy Added Apr 3, 2018 - 7:20pm
Those chopsticks are pretty wicked weapons.

Doug Plumb Added Apr 3, 2018 - 8:13pm
re "Dave Tomlinson. I remember him speaking about this circa 1987. It made sense to me then, and still does."

The president of a gun control organization is not going to tell you that you should fear your government.

re "There is an art to cutting up meat with chopsticks.  And it is ok to pick up the entire slab of meat with chopsticks and bite off what you want.  "

You should have a license.
Doug Plumb Added Apr 3, 2018 - 8:16pm
re "In Canada, we are kind of close to those principles. One just cannot walk into a store and buy a gun. Pistols require more paperwork."

I don't believe that its unlawful for a citizen of Canada to possess a gun. I may be wrong, but I think its like speeding tickets. Usually government exceeds jurisdiction in policy and workers are too dumb to know the difference. This is why we need to start learning the law because the law enforcement bureaucrats will just do what they are told. Picture a Canadian citizen bent over watching the news his smart phone while a bureaucrat with a giant pen rams him from behind, blood on the floor but he doesn't even notice.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 4, 2018 - 3:34am
Rusty / Leroy

Thanks for the info !
Shane Laing Added Apr 4, 2018 - 5:32am
Tex.  The government has pulled its finger out with acid attacks and are brining in laws to stop its sale (apart from schools, labs etc) to make it harder for people to get hold of. Acid attacks were mainly used by men of an ethnic minority group (I wont say which one) to disfigure women who rejected their advances. Then some youths thought they should use it against other gang members.
It was the same ethnic minority group who were doing the grooming/abusing young women.
Police admitted that they failed to investigate properly due to the fact that they didn't want to upset the ethnic community.
TexasLynn Added Apr 4, 2018 - 9:35am
SL, Thanks for the clarification on the acid attacks.  We may suspect the origin and predominance of the practice, but it's not as if that information is readily available to the public due to media malfeasance and political correctness.

Still, I think it's obvious that this type of attack has been adopted by a few in the general community as well.  The nightclub that really made the news was a Caucasian guy if I remember correctly.  And I also remember reading about another you man (again Caucasian) who had himself euthanized because he was disfigured with acid from a jealous girlfriend.

We have a sick (Western) society due to many factors.  If we don’t stop the hemorrhaging and then address the real problems… we’re doomed.  With that in mind, and the state of our leadership… we likely doomed (on both sides of the pond).
Rick W. Added Apr 4, 2018 - 10:49am
>TL: I still don't have enough information to speak on the control of acid. But where does it ever stop.

I find this response to be frustrating (not personally, just philosophically). Where does it stop? The answer is always: somewhere. Wherever we, as a people, decide.

If I have a beer, where does it stop? At two or three or when I throw up. If I give my kid an allowance, where does it stop? When I say "go get a job." The whole slippery-slope thing, to me, is just a way of avoiding the problem. We have a gun murder problem in America that's way worse than any other first world country. We need to address it. What's the solution? I have some ideas, but one of them isn't "do nothing, because... slippery slope."

We're at the point now where the NRA's knee-jerk "no new regs" position is just going to be ignored when the Dems get back in the driver's seat. And that's too bad. Anything that will work for the whole country, long term, needs input from right and left.

One of my ideas, that could possibly get left-right buy in: Require gun owners to have gun insurance. When gun use abused (like a car), don't sue Ruger (or Toyota), sue the jackass who misused the weapon. And yeah... that'd mean some people don't get to legally own guns, because they have violent records or leave loaded weapons around the house where children can get them, and have proved themselves uninsurable. Would that solve everything? Nope. Neither does requiring car insurance -- lots of people are driving uninsured. But it helps. It's sensible. It's better than throwing our hands up and doing nothing, because, gee whiz, criminals don't follow the rules.
Rusty Smith Added Apr 4, 2018 - 11:02am
I have several bayonet style meat carving forks that would make excellent weapons.  They are strong, sharp and have longer prongs than most fixed blade kitchen knives.

I don't know of a place that bans meat carving forks specifically, not even on airplanes.  However I suspect they might be banned as a tool that's over 7 inches.  You can't fly with a pair of pliers if they are over 7 inches long, total length.
TexasLynn Added Apr 4, 2018 - 11:05am
Rick W >> I find this response to be frustrating (not personally, just philosophically). Where does it stop?

Sorry I touched a philosophical nerve... but it is sometimes a valid question.  Sometimes where it stops (like with socialism and fascism) is gulags, concentration camps, and 10's of millions of dead people.

If I had ended my comment with that phrase... you might have a point, but I gave examples of where it might go.  Tracking everything we buy and abuse of the 4th Amendment.  I'm not willing to let it reach that point (or at least I'm willing to fight it).  It needs to stop before that point.  Yet, that is a point to which I could foresee government taking it (in the name of safety which is how liberty and freedom are generally destroyed).

Rick W >> ... gun insurance...

While we are currently off on a tangent... gun control through insurance is way off on a tangent.  It's a unique proposal.  It's something I'd would love to discuss and a very popular topic.  Post your proposal... and I'll add my two cents.  Though you already know where I would stand on the issue. :)
Rick W. Added Apr 4, 2018 - 11:06am
>Post your proposal... and I'll add my two cents.  Though you already know where I would stand on the issue. :)

Cool idea, thanks. Guess it's time for me to start another blog. :)
Dave Volek Added Apr 4, 2018 - 12:58pm
Doug

I hang around a little with people who like target shooting and hunting. While they grumble somewhat with the bureaucratic hoops they have to jump through, they still get full enjoyment of their hobby. I fail to see how Canada has repressive gun laws.

Rusty
Nice analogies with the Chinese cooking and blunt knives.

John Minehan Added Apr 4, 2018 - 5:52pm
As a fan of the products of Col. Harlan Sanders for at least the last half century, I have to ask why sporks have never caught on.

(Although, since I did not know there was a name for the thing other than "those weird forks you get at Col. Sander's," until an Army buddy of mine mentioned the name, maybe I'm not the best source.)
TexasLynn Added Apr 4, 2018 - 6:15pm
Dave, the problem is that you perceive this little gun fetish we Americans have as a "hobby", a "pastime"... like watching TV, eating yogurt, or speed walking.  That might be what it is to Canada... but for us in the U.S. the RIGHT to keep and bear arms is AS important a RIGHT and responsibility as the right (and freedom) to speak, to worship, and to assemble.

To help with perspective... take whatever restriction you propose to place on this little "hobby" called the 2nd Amendment and apply it to the 1st.  You want to require a license to own a gun?  How would you feel about a license in order speak or publish or worship...?  If it's not a reasonable, valid requirement for the 1st... it's not for the 2nd either.

Dave >> Yes, it is true that criminals won't follow gun laws. But when they don't, it gives us another reason to put them in jail.

What!?  You're not going to convince me that making criminals more guilty is what we really, really need to finally start holding them accountable.  The argument is just silly.

But at least you're acknowledging that just about every gun control measure proposed is aimed strictly to curtail the rights of the law abiding knowing it will have little or no effect on actual gun violence.  That's OK (for the left) because the gun violence is the secondary concern here; eroding the overall right being the first.

Dave >> I think the firearm enthusiasts should take a more sensible approach to crafting laws rather than hide behind the second amendment. Someday the liberals are going to write and pass those gun the enthusiasts really don't like.

So, your argument is that we should curtail our basic human rights before someone else curtails them worse?  Surrender a little bit before you're forced to surrender completely?  I don't think so.

The argument assumes we're stupid enough to believe that the little leftist fascist would say "Oh, well, I was going to try something drastic, but now that I've seen you meet me half way, I'll hold off on that."  Name one time that's worked before.

I think the main difference you and I are having is the perception of what we're talking about.  You see the 2nd Amendment as trivial as a hobby.  I see it as important as a God given (unalienable) right.  The chasm between those two perceptions is immense.

I'll simply add that the founding fathers (of the U.S.) agree with me.  That's why it was in the Bill of Rights.  That's why it was number two out of ten.

Ooofff, we way off on a tangent here...  Rick W, I think you're already seeing my argument against your license idea.
Rusty Smith Added Apr 4, 2018 - 6:56pm
TexasLynn inalienable, (God given), are "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", those are the three examples listed in the Declaration of Independence.

The Constitution was written a little later and lists personal freedoms that our government is not allowed to violate, with the obvious intention of preventing the government from evolving and creating laws to oppress the people.  That's were the 2nd amendment is... Almost but not quite a God given right it you like guns as much as I do.

You are trying to convince people who might as well be from another planet that our lifestyle is not evil when they have no personal experiences with guns that might counter what they see on the silver screen.  They don't own guns, they never use them for fun, hunting or self defence, so they know it's possible to live without them and think you and I should too, especially if it could save lives.

There is only one huge problem with that line of though, it presumes they are objecting to guns because they are appalled by the carnage, but in fact it's the guns they had not the carnage.

Most don't think twice about driving more than 25 mph even though we could save thousands of lives a year if we lowered the speed limit that much.  They think that's absurd because they consider the carnage from driving faster acceptable losses for the convenience they get by getting places a little faster.

If it was all about the carnage they would take over easier steps and safe more lives, but they don't because it's really the guns they hate and anyone who owns them.
Leroy Added Apr 4, 2018 - 7:07pm
"Someday the liberals are going to write and pass those gun the enthusiasts really don't like."

Someday we will have a second revolutionary war against tyranny.
TexasLynn Added Apr 4, 2018 - 7:56pm
Rusty, right on point.  I would propose that the Bill of Rights and particularly those rights/freedoms guaranteed within to be encompassed by the inalienable right of liberty.  Liberty is in fact impossible without them.  I'm sure you and I are in complete (or at least near complete agreement).

Government in an ideal situation is created to sustain and protect those precious God given rights.  It cannot grant what id does not own.  This is a devil’s bargain since the nature of government is to suppress if not destroy freedom and liberty.

I understand we have a huge gulf in understanding/perception with those who don't a) see government as a necessary evil and b) see the inalienable right to arms as the check and balance to counter that evil.  I'm a little too blunt and rough on these guys... but it is a subject I'm passionate about.

You make an excellent point concerning the obvious hidden agenda and target.  We keep hearing that "if we can save one life"...  But there are hundreds of things we can do to save many more lives than end the 2nd amendment.  25 mph... alcohol... bacon... sugar...
TexasLynn Added Apr 4, 2018 - 7:57pm
Leroy >> Someday we will have a second revolutionary war against tyranny.

I hope we will still have the character and fortitude to do what is necessary.  As we are often reminded of on Veterans day... "Freedom isn't free".
Michael B. Added Apr 4, 2018 - 10:01pm
I was in Britain for two weeks about ten years ago, and I will never go again if I can help it. It was like being in an enemy country. I was struck by how much violence and insanity that was happening in and around my hotel, and the morning papers and evening news were loaded with violence and mayhem, as per usual. The police were called (and arrived in force) at least half a dozen times to remove groups of drunken Limey hell-raisers who trashed, and were trashing, the rooms, walls, doors, ceilings, and anything and everything they made contact with. When I was checking out at three in the morning, I had to block, punch, kick, dodge, and duck my way through a mini-riot. It became obvious to me why Britain banned guns, as they seem to be too violent and stupid to handle them. And the fuckers put US down as being "uncivilized"? Been to a Limey soccer stadium lately? LOL
Shane Laing Added Apr 5, 2018 - 3:34am
Michael as you well know the media get a kick out of reporting bad news rather than good. As to your hotel, was it the Savoy? It must have been because it would only be at a posh hotel that the police would bother to attend. Honestly mate if you get out of the cities and go out to the countryside you would find it totally different. Same as if I compared New York (where people don't talk they shout at eachother) and Conroe Texas where the people were polite and friendly and as soon as they realised I was English went out of their way to make me feel welcome.
Rusty Smith Added Apr 5, 2018 - 10:40am
Shane Laing the same principle applies very well to guns in the US.  Just as sports stadiums an even hotel lobbies in some parts of your country are cesspools of violent behavior, so are our worst neighborhoods.  And it's also true just as you mentioned that if you stay away from those areas the violence disappears and you feel like you're  in another country.

The folks who want to get rid of guns in this country never consider the fact that most of the country is delightfully peaceful even though they have guns, while at the same time many very small places where violent people congregate are extremely violent and will continue to be so with or without guns.

It's not the guns that make them violent and it's not the gun laws that make them safer, it's the people who are either normal peaceful folks that don't abuse their or violent hooligans who willingly ignore all the rules and use any tools they can get, including guns, to mug and murder each other.

I was watching a TV special about one neighborhood that included about 6 large apartment buildings, and had 21 or 27 murders in 1 year.  A mile away there were none that year.  The murders were all between drug people and those were just the murders.  Many of those who were shot survived and I'm sure the other crime was horrific too.

The laws in the bad neighborhood were exactly the same as those a mile away where crime was not a problem, it's not the laws it's the people.
Rick W. Added Apr 6, 2018 - 12:51pm
>Post your proposal... and I'll add my two cents.
God help me, Lynn. I did my best. :)
TexasLynn Added Apr 6, 2018 - 2:17pm
Rick W >> God help me, Lynn. I did my best. :)
You fool!  You have fallen into my trap. :)  I shall have no mercy!

Recent Articles by Writers TexasLynn follows.