Singing Up a Spring

Hey, I wrote a song!

It's not a great song ... but then, I'm not a great song writer. There are two problems: First, I meant it to be humorous, but it comes off as kind of depressing; chalk that up to the weather and my sinus infection, I suppose. Second, it's a song, and I was hearing the music in my head while writing the words (It has a country vibe). But I can't play it for you because I can't write music ... so it probably won't work as well as a poem. Maybe it's for the best, though, because I'm also not a great music writer. Or ... any music writer.

I should hold some contest, like: If I sell thirty books by the end of April, I'll post a video of me singing this. But that might lead to negative sales. "For Heaven's sake, don't sing! I'm sending your books back to you."

I call it: Springing Out of Springdom.

(I'm not a great title writer, either.)

I like to ride in the countryside

just to take in spring.

The flower blossoms, birds at play

and all the greening things.

But this year I've come to realize

something that's made me sad.

We won't get a spring this year

'cause we've all been too bad.

Yeah, we've all been too bad this year,

we just can't get along.

We fight and fuss and disagree

Even as the days get long.

Mother Nature said "Screw you!"

"I'll just evaporate."

So winter just won't end this year;

she left us to our fate.

So now the temp's below average

just like all our moods.

Plants are brown and grass is dead,

let's face it--we're all screwed.

Our tulips won't come up this year,

They're underneath a drift.

The robins are hitchhiking south,

their frozen wings won't lift.

Yes, we've all been too bad this year,

we don't deserve the spring.

Mosquitoes can't come out in this,

it's frostbite that'll sting.

Mother Nature said "Stuff it!"

and left us all to freeze.

so winter just won't end this year,

no flowers, birds, or bees.

So let's all try to get along,

we just don't have to fight.

At this rate our nice summer

will become a year long night.

It's not that we all must be friends,

but hatred hurts our souls.

If we don't make up by Christmas

At least we can heat with coals.

True, we've all been too bad this year,

and spring will never come

if we don't get our butts in gear

and stop being so dumb.

Mother nature said "I'm done!"

and winter's staying strong.

So dig back out your salt and plows ...

or try to get along.

I think I can, I think I can ...

It's so quiet, you can hear a tree drop.

Hey, it's spring, let's take a walk ... never mind.

This would be more like it.

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Apr 4, 2018 - 1:24pm
Mark

Can you send it to me ? Would be interested to hear it !
Stone-Eater Added Apr 4, 2018 - 1:27pm
....but wow good lyrics. That's my style, although you have the advantage of a more complete vocabulary ;-)
Dave Volek Added Apr 4, 2018 - 3:41pm
Nice message.

Mark Hunter Added Apr 4, 2018 - 6:27pm
It would only be acapella, Stone, and I'm not going to do that to you. Also, if I recorded it that might violate the terms of the protection order that specifically says I'm not allowed to sing out loud within town limits, or anywhere children or people with heart conditions might overhear.
However, if I do sell thirty copies of my books in April, I'll find a well soundproofed room and record myself singing it, and just post it with a content and quality warning.
Mark Hunter Added Apr 4, 2018 - 6:29pm
Thanks, Dave! Weirdly, I started out just planning to have a little fun with a humor piece, and it went a little serious. I like to tell people I hate being serious, but sometimes it happens despite myself.
opher goodwin Added Apr 4, 2018 - 6:53pm
Great sentiments Mark. I can hear you singing it!
Stone-Eater Added Apr 4, 2018 - 6:56pm
Mark

I'll try to make a song out of it. I get back on it.
Neil Lock Added Apr 4, 2018 - 7:58pm
Mark: Great work.

But here on the other side of the pond, we have a different but similar sized problem. We've had the wettest March I can remember, and the most March snow too. The potholes in the roads around me right now are worse than anywhere I've lived except Chicago... and there, they are (used to be?) set up to fix them. Of course, we'll be told that all this is due to "global warming" that we have caused.

It isn't we who've acted bad
It's politicians. We've been had!
Tubularsock Added Apr 4, 2018 - 10:17pm
Mark dude!

Tubularsock loves your poem/song but forget Western vibe! The West died with John Wayne's fucking bull shit.

No Tubularsock hears it as all RAP!

And think, Mark ........ with RAP you don't have to sing!

Trust Tubularsock here.

And all kidding aside, well done!
Leroy Added Apr 4, 2018 - 11:53pm
If it were me, I would threaten to sing it at the top of my lungs if I didn't sell at least 30 books.  Even my four year old can't tolerate my singing.   How could anyone make Daddy Finger sound bad?
Mark Hunter Added Apr 6, 2018 - 3:43pm
Sorry I disappeared for a few days--my mom went to the hospital with congestive heart failure Wednesday. She's been moved out of CCU to a regular room, and will hopefully be home Sunday, but we had quite a scare for awhile.
Mark Hunter Added Apr 6, 2018 - 3:44pm
opher, if you could hear me singing it you'd be hitting the headache pills pretty hard! But maybe Stone can fix it up.
Mark Hunter Added Apr 6, 2018 - 3:45pm
Neil, our spring has also been very wet here in Indiana--we're three inches over our normal snowfall for the season ... actually, it would be closer to five inches at this point. And that doesn't include the rain we've had. Our roads look like they were shelled with artillery, and the temperature today is about fifteen degrees below average.
Mark Hunter Added Apr 6, 2018 - 3:48pm
Not at all, Tubularsock, country western music is still huge in many areas of the country; I don't listen to it myself, but that's only because there's so much rock, classic pop, movie scores, and classical music to hear. As for rap ... I prefer music!
Mark Hunter Added Apr 6, 2018 - 3:49pm
I think you've got something there, Leroy. It's my Constitutional right so sing, doggone it--which means people have to pay me to stop!

Recent Articles by Writers Mark Hunter follows.