Moderation Doomed the GOP for 2018

This week Paul Ryan announced he would not seek re-election as have a myriad of other Republicans over the last year.  Why, is obvious.  The GOP is in for a shellacking in the mid-term elections.  The Democrats will take back the House and likely the Senate.

Many blame Trump.  I don't.  The fate of the GOP is their own dammed fault.

Yes.  The leftist irrational hatred for Trump will have an impact.  Leftist would crawl over broken glass to vent their collective spleens.

Yes.  History is a factor too.  The party not holding the Presidency consistently loses seats in the legislature in the midterms.

BUT... neither of these is THE main reason the GOP is doomed in 2018.   So, why is the GOP doomed?

Moderation.

There are several political axioms that I hold to be true. I have repeated them verbatim (and in general) in my writings for years.  Here is one...

"A moderate is someone who pauses in the middle of the road... before turning left.” — TexasLynn

Paul Ryan has lead a wave of GOP moderation for the last three years.  Now that the chickens of moderation are coming home to roost, Mr. Ryan is ready to exist stage left.

The perfect example of moderation dooming the GOP is Obamacare; or more specifically the lack of repealing it.  After much wailing and gnashing their teeth for seven years concerning Obamacare, and after passing a repeal SEVEN times (when Obama was President)… when Trump became President... NOTHING.

This might confuse the political novice who might ask… "Why didn't they just pass the same bill of repeal they passed seven times before". The answer is they can’t (or won’t… take your pick).

This might confuse the political novice who might ask… “Why not?” The simple answer is, once Trump was in office, they didn’t have the votes.

This might further confuse the political novice again, who might ask… "But they passed it before?" The answer to that is yes, but that was when they knew that the vote meant nothing, that was when they knew it would be vetoed. The GOP (mostly the moderates) was willing to stand on conservative principle only when conservative principles were guaranteed not to be applied.

Those repeal votes were the proverbial pause in the middle of the road... with their blinkers bright and shiny, flashing on the right side for all to see.  But as soon as it counted, where the rubber meets the road... (as they always do) ... the moderates quietly turned left.

And Obamacare is just the old example that proves the rule.  Since then the GOP hasn't been able to wave the white flag fast enough.  This culminated in the massive Omnibus spending bill; which to his shame, Trump signed.

It didn’t have to be this way.  To be sure there have been a few executive and legislative victories.  Trump has rolled back a massive amount of bureaucracy.  And a decent tax reform was passed into law (which did severely cripple Obamacare by ridding us of the individual mandate).  But perception is everything and the surrender on spending erased any perception of gains that was out there.

So, the third thing the GOP has going against them is that surrender monkeys don't inspire their guys to get to the polls.  With this on top of all the other factors that will influence the next election... expect the worst in 2018.

The one positive aspect of all this is, given the mood of the left, they will over-reach.  So, 2020... is a different matter.  It may actually insure Trump for a full eight year term. :)

Comments

Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 12, 2018 - 3:12pm
I don't want Trump to be in the White House for eight years. I want a conservative there. I want Tom Cotton.

Geez, Trump want the TPP back and is fibbing around with Syria. The wall is still not erected and his daughter and her husband should be nowhere near decision makers. Why don't conservatives ever win?
TexasLynn Added Apr 12, 2018 - 3:47pm
BG >> I don't want Trump to be in the White House for eight years.

Well, just like with the last election... that depends on the alternatives.

We'll see if anybody acceptable runs against him in the primary.  The only one I'm sure will right now is Bill Kasich, and He is barely a step above the Democrats in my opinion.

Kasich is also the exact kind of moderate I speak of... pause in the middle... then turn left.

BG >> I want a conservative there. I want Tom Cotton.

Me too... There are plenty of real conservatives (including Tom Cotton) the GOP could turn to.  But, I expect Trump to be the nominee if he wants it (and he wants it).

BG >> Geez, Trump wants the TPP back and is fibbing around with Syria.

I'm in wait and see mode on both.  I'm not optimistic given his recent signing of the Omnibus bill.  Trump is no conservative.  That is why I didn't vote for him the first time and why I'm still on the fence for next time.

On Syria, I was a little skeptical on the narrative that Assad didn't do it, until I saw the response to Tucker Carlson just asking questions.  When you can't even respectfully question the narrative, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

BG >> The wall is still not erected

I'll give him slack on this one.  The Dems are the problem here.  Trump offered a compromise that was more than fair and the Dems told him to go to hell.  He has made a good faith effort on the issue.

BG >> and his daughter and her husband should be nowhere near decision makers.

Agreed.

BG >> Why don't conservatives ever win?

I don't know about you... but for me, I'm assuming it's karma.  Doing the math, I was either Hitler or Stalin in my previous life. :)  Thank goodness, I'll have an easier go of it next round (seeing as I'm a saint in this one). :)

(Side Note: To all you nuts ready to pounce on the Christian speaking of karma... that was satire (look it up))

Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 12, 2018 - 3:53pm
He doesn't even need Congress to build the wall. It's the border. He's commander in chief and can redirect any military spending towards securing the borders. And believe me i know that the US military budget is completely bloated. Most of it is child care for adults.
Pardero Added Apr 12, 2018 - 5:45pm
TexasLynn,
We need a new Patrick J. Buchanan. All they give us is Neo-cons. Even Trump is behaving like a Neo-con.
They are actually 2 sides of the same uni-party. A real conservative could never get elected.
Naturally, I would like to see a peace candidate run. We will probably never see one, because there is no profit in peace.
I sent Dr. Kelli Ward a few bucks. She is running for US Senate in Arizona. A fake conservative stalking horse is running against her in the primary.
I hope our Neo-con Senator gets a primary challenge. I will volunteer for the challenger's campaign. I hope Cruz doesn't have too much trouble. He ain't so bad.
Thomas Sutrina Added Apr 12, 2018 - 5:53pm
I can not think of one conservative that would want to be in Trump's shoes.  Conservatives would be facing the same attacks from the Democrats, Media, and moderate (progressives or old fashion Democrats of the 1960's) Republicans.

The GOP and Dems job number one in Washington DC is to raise money and congressmen are judge by their performance.  What a chair then raise the money to purchase one.  Want to be on a committee raise the money.  Everything is for sale.  And the ability to use the equipment and list of donors is all based on playing ball.
Why does the speaker  and leader of the Senate and the opposite party leadership have so much of a say is the fact that they control the tools and chests of donors information and money.

Trump is doing a good job because he is use to dealing with opposition.  He is not taken back by it and knows from experience how to fight.  No conservative with significant public stature has anything close to his level.  Session is a good example of the typical congressman and senator.

Now do I like the fact that Trump thinks more like the old time progressives and seems to have no ideology.  I actually am glad he doesn't have an ideology because if he did he would be the Democrat party President.

Trump believes in his heart that if the Constitution falls and we end up with a socialist state the damage to his inheritance will follow what will happen to the citizens of the nation, Venezuela  type results.  Trump has put more on the line then most of us have to offer.  I believe that he didn't think he was going to put this much on the line.  Trump has not wavered and for that I support him.

Recall that starting in 2014 and a year ago, April 2015 the media and Democrats were already proclaiming victory, Hillary as president.  The deep state was willing to expose themselves.  Mueller I think resigned due to being compromised by playing ball with the deep state he built up in the FBI, Obama, and the Clintons to sell nuclear material to the Russians.  He is trying hard not to find himself disgraced or even in jail.

Obama and the Clintons believe this was the point in time when the government would transform to a socialist/ Marxs state.  The influx of illegal immigrant would have been turned into votes for 2018 and the demographics would place Dems in control while they dismantled the remains of the Constitution.

The cover up is worse than the crime applies to the Russian conspiracy witch hunt, and the level of exposure is so great that it will make the all passed administration childs play.  This should be and can be the deciding factor in November 2018 election.  The exposure of Congress on the democrat side will clean house at the top and it may also clean house in the GOP leadership.  But the GOP was not invited to the Obama party to transform America so the damage to even progressive Republicans will be minimal.

The conservative are calling for a special counsel investigation, never happen.  GOP leadership, and Sessions has control of the approach now being used.  The goal is to keep Trump at bay with Mueller as long as possible.   Sessions seem incompetent but he needs to have the deep state in the FBI and Attorney General's office identified with Rosenstein, Comey, and McCabe.  His investigation will be picking up steam only after all the candidates are on the ballots and the Dems have started to attack on taxes and health care.  Then they will be caught flat footed and find them defending the Obama administration and the complicity.

Who will win depends on many unknowns.  The game is just beginning and I do not think anyone knows all the cards.  We are the jury and as any attorney will tell you that the outcome is never assured.  Just ask Hillary that still can not believe the jury's choice.
Pardero Added Apr 12, 2018 - 6:27pm
Thomas Sutrina,
"Woud want to be in Trump's shoes."
Good point.
Jeff Michka Added Apr 12, 2018 - 7:20pm
The Sutrino decays: Obama and the Clintons believe this was the point in time when the government would transform to a socialist/ Marxs state. -So, you've decided good ol fascist red meat is better than FDR to get WB rightist foaming over your lame comments...AND How many men would want to face all the vicious attacks from the deep state? Many decent men will decide it isn't worth it.- Well it would depend on how many of "those men" believe in the deep state as much as they do the Easter bunny or Santa Claus. The Easter bunny died for your sins, Pard.
Bill H. Added Apr 13, 2018 - 1:11am

Again - both parties are out of touch with anything even close to logic or any realization that the government serves the people's interest, not the interests or priorities of corporations. Especially when you look at the percentage of foreign ownership of US corporations, which is probably much higher now that in 2002 when the link's numbers were published.
So who is really at the controls?
We really need to get our priorities inline.
Flying Junior Added Apr 13, 2018 - 5:09am

You are not paying attention, Lynn.

The republicans lacked the votes to repeal Obamacare.  IF I recall, Senator McCain left his convalescence to vote down the bitch because in his own words. "It was the right thing to do."

But the dumb Trumpies, and I include you among them, did manage to gut the heart and soul of Obamacare with two deliberate acts of sabotage.

First, the crowd that would have seen the presidency of Barack Hussein Obama utterly fail, no matter the cost to our economy and to the citizens of the U.S.A., cruelly attached to their budget bill a token to kill the individual mandate.  The core principle that made Obamacare to function.

Then the heartless, America-hating bastards laughingly discontinued the federal reimbursement of losses incurred by the insurance comapanies in implementing the PPACA.

I'm sure that Blue Cross wasn't too bummed.  Neither were you.

The costs will be reflected in greater insurance premiums for all Americans.

Honey Badger don't care.

If you can't see this, maybe you could secede in your own mind.
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 1:12pm
All... sorry for the delay in my responses...

Benjamin
Yes, I've heard that (use military budget to build wall) as well, and who can deny there isn't a budget emanating from Washington that isn't bloated.  I'm a little hesitant to use that means to an end.  I know it's not the same thing, but Obama decided he didn't need Congress as well (via Executive Orders) and now everything he did that way was reversed.
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 1:34pm
Pardero...
On Neo-cons... Careful; I'm probably not as pure at heart on the matter as you are. :)  Trump certainly is headed that route with John Bolton.  I'm not as anti-Bolton as some (including you I presume).  He's the first Ambassador to the U.N. to figuratively piss on them; so that buys some leeway in my book.

I've heard a little about Kelli Ward... mostly that McConnel didn't like her; so that's good enough for me.  We definitely need a lot more primary action in my opinion.

I don't think Cruz is going to have much trouble.  Every time anybody runs against him or runs for governor; the media hypes it to no end.  Then... they don't even break 40% in the election.  Dems have learned this is a great means to raise a lot of money (out of state), and then spend just enough on the race to say, “I tried”.  End result?  Flush with cash for something else.
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 1:45pm
Thomas,
You are right that the media will pull this crap on whoever is the republican candidate or President (if elected).  I think Trump has it a little worse than others would receive but the pattern is there.

I'm not as convinced as you are as to the job Trump is doing.  I like some of it (regulations, tax cut) and not some of it (spending, tweeting).  I don't know if he's thought the Socialist State ramifications through all that much.  If he has... I haven't heard it and would like to.  It would give him more credibility in my book.

As for the deep state... if I were a betting man; I'd bet on them winning this mess.  I don't think Obama, or Clinton, or Mueller or Comey have as much to worry about as Trump (or anyone who serves his administration).  Remember, they have home field advantage, and experience, and the system, and the media...
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 1:49pm
Bill H,
I can't say for sure if the corporations are as in control as you think. But one thing is for sure... it's certainly not the people. Your assertion is as good as any I've heard.

We lost our priorities decades ago, they will not be returning any time soon... more likely, never.
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 1:58pm
FJ,
I should have been more specific.  I was talking about the House (not the Senate) votes on the matter.  They had the votes seven times to repeal it; then zero times when Trump became President.  What the Senate would have done is immaterial if the House can’t even do it.

If I must wear the scarlet T (dumb Trumpie) for my support of sabotaging Obamacare… I’ll wear it with pride.  It was a massive corporate give-away to the insurance companies.  Something you leftist generally despise.

It’s a completely different subject, but we don’t have a health insurance problem in this nation.  We have a shortage of affordable health care problem.  All of Washington is trying to fix the wrong problem.  Insurance is not the answer.

I do care… I just want actual solutions to the actual problem.  Obamacare was not it (a solution).  In fact, it was the exact opposite of it.
Rick W. Added Apr 13, 2018 - 2:55pm
>Yes. The leftist irrational hatred for Trump will have an impact.

It's not irrational. He asked to be hated. He worked the hate up into a fine broth. It's his brand, and by extension, his party's. It's what his supporters love him for.

>Paul Ryan has lead a wave of GOP moderation for the last three years

I'm not a Paul Ryan fan, but I wouldn't accuse him of moderation, or by extension, failure as a conservative leader. His role was to lead a coalition of establishment Republicans and new Tea Party challengers -- an impossible task. I can't think of anyone else who could've been more successful.

Let's keep in mind, since getting elected, Trump has largely embraced Ryan's views -- lower taxes on the rich and cuts to the welfare state -- which are the *opposite* of what Trump campaigned on. From a policy perspective, Ryan won.

And, he's still relatively young. I bet he runs for Governor or President in 2022.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 13, 2018 - 4:23pm
Rick W., I hate you right back! xoxo
George N Romey Added Apr 13, 2018 - 4:46pm
Ryan will bow out for awhile because he doesn’t want to take the chance of being tied to a failed or taken down Trump. But once the coast is clear he’ll be back.

Trump was a liberal Democrat then a conservative Republican. In actuality he doesn’t stand for much but will latch on what promotes his personal brand.
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 10:44pm
Ric W >> It (hatred of Trump) 's not irrational.

I don't know what to say.  It's hard to explain Trump Derangement Syndrome to the infected. :)  This is the same as Bush Derangement Syndrome... but on steroids.

I actually think I'm the guy objectively overlooking the madness on both sides (being that I wish a pox on both their houses).  Trump is boorish asshole, but the left is indeed irrational in the hatred are response to Trump.

Rick W >> It's what his supporters love him for.

More than that, they love him for calling out the media for the biased hypocrisy.  In reference to the post... the right is tired of losing practically every freaking battle because our guys surrender by default.

Rick W >> His role was to lead a coalition of establishment Republicans and new Tea Party challengers

Which would make him at odds with conservatism and not a conservative leader and someone pushing... moderation.

Rick W >> I can't think of anyone else who could've been more successful.

Maybe not... but I can think of a few who would have at least tried... and not surrendered.
TexasLynn Added Apr 13, 2018 - 11:01pm
GNR >> Ryan will bow out for awhile because he doesn’t want to take the chance of being tied to a failed or taken down Trump.

I don't think this has anything to do with Trump.  We've seen it many times before.  The House is about to be lost... the Speaker resigns or quits.

GNR >> But once the coast is clear he’ll be back.

No telling.

GNR >> Trump was a liberal Democrat...

OK?  I've always just saw him as a crony Democrat.  But I'm no expert on liberal Democrats.  He did change his mind on abortion.

GNR >> ...then a conservative Republican.

I am an expert on conservative Republicans.  He not one... he never claimed to be one.

GNR >> In actuality he doesn’t stand for much but will latch on what promotes his personal brand.

Perhaps... I do question if he has core values and if so... what they are.

Flying Junior Added Apr 14, 2018 - 1:15am
Well Okay Lynn,

The only problem I have with the sabotaging of the PPACA would be that it was a day late and a dollar short.  By killing the heart and soul of the PPACA in the only clumsy way that the monster had at his disposal, all that he and his republican congress critters  had in their quiver was to kill the individual mandate and before that to kill the federal reimbursement for losses incurred by the insurance companies.

Nice job you dumb Trumpies.

So if Obama and the democratic congress were able to pass this historic legislation aimed at increasing the number of Americans with health insurance...  Well it was passed in 2012.  The plan was logically implemented in increments from 2013 through 2016.  I read each and every one of the planned changes.  It was a beautiful thing.  You republicans nursed your cuts and wounds until you finally had the chance to destroy the entire thing.  But no…  There was no support for repealing the PPACA, so you had to satisfy your tiny minds with just wrecking it for everybody.

I find it ironic that the soul voice between disaster and recovery was a man who was suffering from a very real threat to his own life.

"It was the right thing to do."

Maybe it was the cancer talking.

My thing is nothing could possibly be more stupid and destructive than to watch the democrats pass the PPACA and then bide your time to try to repeal it.

BTW,  I have no more love for the idiot Mitch Mcturtle and the fitness kook Paul Ryan, author of the Pathway to Poverty…  Well maybe a little bit more love.  I certainly harbor no hatred for these two misguided, and in one case senile, haters of all that is beautiful, serene and has been accomplished by so many good America.

Both of these clowns are just caught up in the maelstrom of republican politics in the twenty-first century.

So instead of apologizing, said monster just checks in with his devilish advisors.  They can't repeal it.  But there is something that they can do to make the cold-hearted haters happy.  Just gut the PPACA, no matter who gets hurt.

So as it broke down, it turned out to be the worst possible scenario for the American people.  Maybe not so bad for people who already had lined up insurance before 2010, but wait just a minute or more likely next January to see just what it did to your healthcare insurance premiums.

Think about it.  What could possibly be worse than passing the PPACA and then deliberately sabotaging it?

Well...  Nothing.

What the hell were you guys thinking?

The worst thing that could have possibly happened would be exactly what did happen under Trump.  All of the patient protections remain in place.  The thing where college age young adults are able to stay on their parents' medical insurance.  The thing where pre-existing conditions do not disbar a person or cause them to pay more for their medical insurance.  The whole thing about no more lifetime limits.

All of us will feel the pain when we renew our medical insurance in January of 2019.  Silver lining.  If you are still working full-time, it probably won't hit you too hard.  If you are lucky and smart enough to have some pension that partially or completely covers health insurance...  Well just hold on tight.  Goddess willing, your healthcare insurance premiums will not exceed your pension at least for 2019-2020.
We will all find out what happens next Christmas.  Get ready to pay more.

Ironically the people that will be hurt the worst will be the working professionals and others who choose to pay their own way with individual insurance policies.  Why do not any of my republican opponents know this to be true? Mark my words.  Health costs have been spiraling for twenty years.  Nothing worse could have happened than Obama trying to be LBJ followed by the mental midget, DJT.

Up.  Look for your costs to go up.  Mark my words.  If only the biggest problem that we had to deal with coming from the republican party was moderation.  Moderation in all things, right?
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 14, 2018 - 1:52am
Trump returns to TPP, has just started a pointless war with Syria, signed a Chuck Schumer budget bill and won't build the wall. I would rather vote David Duke or the devil himself than a rino or a democrat. I would also NOT abstain from voting. The elites must be hurt. They like to hurt us. We continue to be nice. They hurt us more. If any policy changes were explained with ARGUMENTS
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 14, 2018 - 1:53am
...I would accept them, but they only always betray the voters and voting itself.
Flying Junior Added Apr 14, 2018 - 3:43am
Dammit Benjamin.

You blame the budget on a democrat?  How is the agreed upon and signed budget somehow the fault of the senate minority leader?

You're a dummy.  The biggest problem with the budget is the Pentagon.  At least you are not stupid enough to define Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security funding as part of the budget.

There exist people that stupid.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 14, 2018 - 3:54am
Chuck Schumer about the omnibus bill, “At the end of the day, as the minority party, we feel good about being able to succeed in so many ways. We don’t have the House, we don’t have the Senate, we don’t have the presidency, but we produced a darn good bill for the priorities we have believed in.”

FJ, you are a moron.
Mark Hunter Added Apr 14, 2018 - 4:40am
Certainly the left hates Trump, but another reason why the Republicans don't get anything done is that they also hate Trump. They want him to fail even if it results in shooting themselves in the foot, just because he's not one of them. The last thing they wanted was someone in office who didn't tow the party line and keep the status quo in order.
John Minehan Added Apr 14, 2018 - 7:52am
Leroy Added Apr 14, 2018 - 9:34am
I used to think that the Senate was out of reach.  The GOP seems to be failing on its sword.  It may be possible.  It's would be remarkable if the GOP lost control.  It would have nothing to do with the Blue Wave and everything to do with its own stupidity.

I don't know Bill Kasich.   Perhaps John Kasich was meant.  He has appeal to women and could be a viable candidate.  He's not conservative, but he does appeal to conservative women.  I used to like him, but he seems to have gone stupid.

The left is still grieving.  It may be enough to get them to turn out in droves for the mid-terms.  The right may not be so motivated to go to the polls.  However, the talk about a blowout for the Democrats may be enough motivation.  The polls were wrong for Clinton.  Let's hope the polls are wrong this time.
Gerrilea Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:07am
Flying J--- What's your beef with Obamacare being gutted?  Fear-mongering that premiums will go up?  Dearie, mine have, over the past 6 yrs, almost 60%.  My deductible went from $250 a year to $3000. Don't piss on my back and tell me it's just the rain.

Obamacare was the same plan (except for the personal mandate) the Republicans put out against Hillarycare in the '90's.  The fact that an alleged Democrat passed it is infuriating.

It's helped no one EXCEPT the insurance companies,  their stock prices (up 400%) and their CEO's pay/compensation. Aetna, the insurance company my employer opted for, their CEO makes $30 million a year.  IF their business model can't survive WITHOUT tax-payer funded bailouts, then they don't have any right being in business.

And that's the key, they don't manage the costs of healthcare or services BUT THE RISK. They don't give a hairy-rats-butt what the price is for a procedure or medication.  They still make money!

You want to blame Trump for everything, but reality is Obamacare was going to fail anyways.  It has to, it's just another ponzi scheme to keep us enslaved to our corporate overlords.

TexasLynn and Everyone Else (except for Jeff M, he's a troll)--until you review who actually owns your Congress-Critter or Senator, you'll never understand that our desires will never be realized.

Here, look them up yourself.

We are a Fascist State & will always be, thanks to the Supreme Court.

Moving forward, can we get Ron Paul brushed off and back in? I even like Trey Gowdy, most of the time.
George N Romey Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:14am
Obama was nothing more than a neoliberal hack. Nothing more than eight years of continuing the Bush doctrine. BTW I’m uninsured because it would have cost me $1500 a month. $1500 in this bullshit debt peonage make believe economy I could never afford.

Screw every moron that thinks Bush, Clinton, Obama, Trump and just everyone in DC actually gives a damn about this country. Your nothing more than glorified serfs easily fooled.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:14am
Rand Paul, Trey Gowdy would be wonderful. I would even sign up for Ted Cruz by now. Won't happen. Some Stalinist will take office. Elections will be a farce. I know that you guys claim that they are already, but that is BS. You will see what it looks like. In Germany the candidates don't even make specific promises. They just put up posters with their pictures and group alliance, no message. When asked they say vague stuff like 'more employment, better healthcare' more better nicer happier. If they are on the lists, compiled by the party leaders (seriously) they get into parliament, if not then not. That is European democracy. And you gonna have it in future too. Too much immigration changes attitudes as to what constitutes a democracy. Stupid.
opher goodwin Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:17am
The reason they will be trounced is because they have been arrogant extremist jerks.
Trump is proving to be a major liability who puts the icing on that cake.
They could be gone for a generation.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:22am
You are an arrogant extremist jerk, Opher.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:46am
Flying Junior,
So, your main complaint is HOW the GOP crippled Obamacare?  You would have been OK with it had they just built up support and repealed it outright?  I doubt that.

Obamacare was passed following the rules and it was crippled following the rules.  The left would have done the same thing against something passed that they didn't like.  A perfect example might be welfare reform years ago.  The left didn't repeal it... they just stated giving tax rebates to people who don't pay taxes.

If Obamacare were so easy crippled by doing two simple things, perhaps that speaks to its flawed design and popularity.  When those GOP monsters plied their trade, why didn’t the left scream “Look!  They are removing the part where you are forced to buy something you don’t want!  Look!  They are removing all those subsides and bail-outs of the insurance companies!”?

Why didn’t they?  Because it was an argument they couldn’t win in the court of public opinion.  If your plan includes such idiotic and unpopular ideas, and these ideas are foundational to the plan; exactly how good of a plan was it?

I agree we've got lots of pain ahead with medical costs.  Working for a small company, I assure you I feel it.  You mentioned "insurance" ten times in your response.  As long as we're trying to solve this problem as an insurance problem (and everybody is) ... that pain will continue.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:47am
Benjamin,

I share most of your concerns.  Trump never claimed to be a conservative, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised about the budget being blown out of the water.  BUT he did run on us getting screwed in trade deals and our involvement in the middle east.

As I stated in the post, that budget was a complete surrender to the left (Chuck and Nancy were ecstatic).  Those whom the GOP depend on for votes noticed.  It’s the same old thing (surrender) all over again.

I do acknowledge that the left was holding military spending hostage.  I also acknowledge that practically every budget coming out of Washington is bloated (including the military).

TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:47am
Mark,
Very good addition concerning the nature of Trumps relationship with the GOP (especially the establishment GOP).  The establishment GOP is the enemy of conservative voters.  It gives them grief to no end that conservatives will not be for them, what blacks are to the Dems.  The establishment GOP is also an enemy of Trump.  That unfortunately does not equate to Trump being our friend/ally.

I think all these relationships are immaterial as to why the GOP finds itself where it is, and likely to lose power in the mid-terms.  I think their situation is more of a decades long systemic problem of the GOP only giving lip service to conservative principles.

Like you said... their main interest is... the status quo.  The GOP will NEVER be the solution this nation needs.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:47am
John M >> Everyone hates the PPACA but no one agrees on what should replace it.  So, it stays in place.

Well, parts of it do (remain in place).  As FJ correctly bemoans, the GOP did find a way to replace unpopular parts of it that can arguably be said to have crippled it.  Other parts stay in place.

What ultimately stays in place... is the underlying problem.  Neither side has the desire (or cojones) to address that; which I say is a monopolistic and non-market driven system of health care which has so inflated the cost that the common man cannot afford it.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:47am
Leroy,
You and I are always on the same wavelength.  The Senate is a steeper hill to climb but it is attainable by the left.  Another political axiom that I believe in is "Never underestimate the ability of the GOP to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory."  This will be their own dammed fault.

"Bill Kasich"?  What idiot would replace "John" with "Bill"?  Yes, it's John Kasich...

I was never a fan, but I much less of a fan today.  Kasich is the perfect example of my axiom on moderates.  He wrings his hands on issues, considers all facts and viable options... and then ALWAYS turns left.  I refused to vote for Trump because he was no conservative.  I've got a few years to decide if I'll support Trump the next go-round.  I would NEVER support Kasich.

If I'm not mistaken my "moderate" buddy Rick W. is a fan. :)  Him and all those illogical women. :)

The left is still grieving.  They were in the mourning and rending of clothing stage of grief for about 24-48 hours after the election.  They immediately jumped into the rabid, irrational, I'll burn everything to the ground stage of grief immediately after that.  As for as Trump is concerned, this is the last and perpetual stage of grief for the left.  They will indeed turn out in droves.

The right... will not.  I don't even think even Trump or the ideal of a Dem majority can motivate them to do so.  I say this with all the expertise and track record of a guy who (along with everybody else) thought Hillary Clinton was a shoe-in.  If there is one thing for sure today, it's that nothing is for sure today.  Here's to hope. :)
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:47am
Gerrilea,
Exactly!  Obamacare didn't do me any favors on insurance costs and deductibles. (George is also a victim of Obama’s compassion.)  The one saving grace I've had over the last decade is an HSA (Health Savings Account) that Obama and the left wanted to get rid of.

Am I upset that the insurance companies got screwed in the end.  Not a bit.  I hope they think twice before colluding with the likes of Obama next time.  If I have my way, the screwing has just begun.

We are the voices in the wilderness that acknowledge that insurance is the problem, not the solution to our health care woes.  Until market forces are re-introduced affecting prices (affordability) and the purpose of insurance... this major problem will remain with us.

Gerrilea, I may not be achieving your high standard on understanding the oligarchical nature (which I consider different from Fascism) we find ourselves in; but I do take it seriously and do acknowledge we have devolved past the point where the people are being represented.

I do follow your links and really appreciate your contribution.

Also, I appreciate you pointing out that Jeff M is a troll (and nothing more).  More of us should point that out much more often on WB when he comments.  Unfortunately, that might just be feeding the troll.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 12:02pm

George,
I appreciate the personal account on where you find yourself health insurance wise.  It helps to know that guys like you are suffering.  I don't have it as bad because I do have insurance through my employer.  BUT my costs (and I'm sure his) have skyrocketed.  We pay all these massive premiums and our deductible is still $5000 and goes up every year.

There are slight differences between Bush, Clinton, Obama... but they were all part of the Washington establishment.  Trump and his supporters say he's different.  He's more so that the others, but the fact that he signed that budget... I'm not as convinced as I once was.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 12:02pm
Benjamin,
I really appreciate every time you give me more insight into the EU.  It's amazing how ignorant we (us in the U.S.) are of the sad state of western society in Europe.  It scares the hell out of me.

And you're right... we're just two steps behind.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 12:03pm
Opher, you’re just displaying the Trump Derangement Syndrome pandemic in all the left right now.  I'm pointing out their lack of balls and action is what will doom them, and you think their actions are extreme.  Your side will show up to the polls because they believe what you believe and my side won't because they believe what I believe.

Every extremist thinks the opposite extreme is on the verge of disappearing for a generation.  I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard that proclamation.
Gerrilea Added Apr 14, 2018 - 12:18pm
TexasLynn-- I really hate to say this....NOT... but health insurance can never be the answer, controlling costs of health products & services is.  I'm not sure that a truly free market with viable alternatives and competition can either.  I've argued with Flying J about this a couple times.  As big as our problem is, we'd need to make it non-profit for a while, like hospitalizations, medical procedures and prescriptions.

I say this from what my Mother experienced just a few years ago, before she ended up dying from brain cancer.  Briefly, her Doctor misdiagnosed a bladder infection and ended up with Sepsis.  The only thing that could cure it was a pill patented in 1932 & the direct cost to her & my father was $1200 per pill. Thank God they had the money saved.

It's this kind of fleecing that needs to be regulated, and for that I cannot apologize, even though I feel inclined to do so.

My father worked until he was just over 78 yrs old, just after my Mother died he finally retired, JUST to keep the Blue Cross & Blue Shield coverage he got through is work.

Perpetual slavery, that's what we're in, whether we realize it or not.

John Minehan Added Apr 14, 2018 - 12:32pm
On PPACA, how can a system built around high-deductible insurance as a norm ("Bronze Plans') work without having HSAs to let people put away pre-tax dollars to meet the deductibles?

It is an absurd plan design.
John Minehan Added Apr 14, 2018 - 12:36pm

Pardero Added Apr 14, 2018 - 1:16pm
TexasLynn,
I see a lot of praise for 'conservatives' like Tom Cotton.
He is the Neo-con type of big government perpetual war advocate.
Cotton took 700,000 from an Israel PAC, an astronomical sum.
He is the opposite of Trump's, apparently insincere, America first and non-intervention pandering.

Cotton is a loathsome creature that makes Younger Bush look like a prince.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 2:14pm
Gerrilea >> health insurance can never be the answer, controlling costs of health products & services is.

We're in complete agreement here.

Gerrilea >> I'm not sure that a truly free market with viable alternatives and competition can either.

The free market is never perfect because of human nature, but it's always better than monopolies, socialism and government control.  A conglomerate of those is what we have now.

Gerrilea >> As big as our problem is, we'd need to make it non-profit for a while, like hospitalizations, medical procedures and prescriptions.

I understand the frustration that leads to this inclination, but I just can't agree with this approach.  Government just isn't capable of pulling something like that off.

Gerrilea >> I say this from what my Mother experienced...

I'm sorry for your experience.  It speaks to the fact that there is a role for government in curtailing abuse.  That role should mainly be to ensure fair and maximized competition.  Preventing gouging and monopolies are also within it's province; so, I see some common ground between us there.

Gerrilea >> My father worked until he was just over 78 yrs old…

Yes... we see this problem more and more of people working for the insurance coverage.  But I still hope you and I agree that the artificially high price of health care is the real problem.

Insurance should be cheap and for catastrophic coverage only, not paying day to day bills.
TexasLynn Added Apr 14, 2018 - 2:33pm
John M >> how can a system built around high-deductible insurance as a norm ("Bronze Plans') work without having HSAs to let people put away pre-tax dollars to meet the deductibles?  It is an absurd plan design.

The plan was meant to get everyone to throw up their hands and equisetum to universal government health care.  When looked at in that light... it was the perfect plan.  Had Hillary been elected we would have been well on our way.

John M >> I disagree on moderates, because I think we need people who see outside the box.

I think I would disagree here.  Moderates, I think, are the ultimate keep the box steady and predictable people.

John M >> On the other hand, most moderates (on either side of the political spectrum) don't do that either.

The whole point of my post.  Like proverbial Pharisees, moderates love the label and the show but are very dependable to do the wrong (turn left) thing in the end.
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Apr 14, 2018 - 3:51pm
Ryan was ineffective.  Bye
opher goodwin Added Apr 14, 2018 - 3:52pm
Ben - Thank you. You call me an extremist! Well that's a turn out for the books. what about you
opher goodwin Added Apr 14, 2018 - 3:59pm
Lynn - my views are based firmly on what I see and hear.
John Minehan Added Apr 14, 2018 - 4:03pm
There have been some solid moderates, COL (R) Gibson who was the Congressman for 20th NY.
John Minehan Added Apr 14, 2018 - 4:08pm
Seems that there should be support for things like taking some things out of the Business Judgment Rule, rather than passing more laws or the executive branch promulgating more regulations.
Don Added Apr 14, 2018 - 5:46pm
Texas Lynn Where in Heaven did you come from? Finally someone on Writer Beat who knows what is going on and who writes well. I got so sick from reading those writers who
"To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -- Herman Melville (Moby Dick). So many articles had the stinking smell of brimstone all over them. I finally had to take a break for the sake of my spiritual health.
Because I have been gone a while, I didn't see your articles.  Autumn sent it to me hoping it would bring me back but I am not ready yet.  Autumn kept burying my articles around the hundred reader mark.
I get more readers than that everyday on my own blog.  I just passed the three quarter million pages looked at on my blog since inception.
Dino Manalis Added Apr 14, 2018 - 7:26pm
Moderation is responsible government, but it should be to the Right of Center usually.
Flying Junior Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:16pm
Thank you for reading my rambling rant, Lynn.

I'm not sure just how you made any sense of it.

I appreciate a conservative voice such as yours.
Flying Junior Added Apr 14, 2018 - 11:26pm
Hi Gerrilea,

What could be more beautiful than a friendship between two so opposite poles of the American political equation such as you and me.

Let's talk again in an attitude of mutual respect and kinship.

Where did you grow up?
TexasLynn Added Apr 15, 2018 - 10:42am
Don,
Thank you for the compliment.  I've been here awhile.  I remember a few of your articles just before you left; so, there was a little overlap.

WB runs the gamut in both ideology and quality.  When things get overwhelming I just concentrate on a few quality authors.  Personally, I'm not looking for an echo chamber so I'm grateful there are a few quality authors on the other side of the aisle.

I thought the Melville quote was one of the best ways to describe the irrational response the left has towards Trump.  There are still plenty of those around but that's just a reflection of society in general.

I hope your spiritual health is properly on the mend.  There is nothing more important.

I also hope you reach a point where you will consider coming back to WB.  I enjoyed your work and think it adds a lot to the site.  I'm planning on sticking around for a while.
TexasLynn Added Apr 15, 2018 - 10:50am
FJ,
I read and value your comments (and your posts).  We often disagree, but that's OK.  I don't think either of us is looking for an echo chamber; so the appreciation goes both ways.

I think we (you and I) have work to do on our tone sometimes.  We're passionate.  I understand that... so it's hard to moderate our writing.
Dave Volek Added Apr 15, 2018 - 5:44pm
2018 will be decided by the 50% of Americans who usually do not vote. How many of them who will come out to the polls is a mystery, but only a few will vote R.

TexasLynn Added Apr 15, 2018 - 7:35pm
Dave,
You make it sound like a groundswell of people will rise up against the evil that is Trump who have never voted before.  That's not what will happen.  The left (who admittedly are less committed to voting year after year) will be committed this coming year because of Trump.  The right will be less motivated and committed because of GOP wavering.

John Minehan Added Apr 15, 2018 - 8:09pm
"It's all about percentage of your base you get to the polls.  That is who will decide the 2018 election and it will spells disaster for the Republicans (and by extension, Trump)"

But there are also state and local trends that may flip races in unexpected ways.

In NYS, Gov, Cuomo's "third brother, Joe Percoco, just got convicted on some  corruption charges and actress Cynthia Nixon just got the nomination of the Working Families Party.

Back in 1994, when Howard Stern, the "Shock Jock," briefly got into the gubernatorial race as a Libertarian, it shook up the race enough that the little-known Republican Candidate beat the seemingly inevitable Mario Cuomo.
Gerrilea Added Apr 16, 2018 - 1:34am
Flying J-- Let's hope we can continue the honest debate & conversation.  We finally are getting there.

I was raised in "upstate" New York.  Went to a private Jesuit College, worked my way up the corporate ladder and had it all pulled out from under me in 2008.  Two & half years UNWILLINGLY unemployed.

In between my honest attempts to get a job, anywhere, doing anything...I read, read, read and read some more.  I re-educated myself.  I took just a moment to listen to those crazy zealots on the "right".  What was all that clamoring about? Why can't they see how simple things could be if we all did the same things?  Thought the same way and lived the same lives???

This world could be so much more, so much better...in so many ways but they wouldn't allow it...or so I thought going into it.

I found out that most of them were actually crazy...okay...that was exactly what I expected, so no big deal there BUT then I found this video titled: "Who Controls The Children", by Peg Luksik, out of Pennsylvania...AND my perceptions were shattered.  Everything she was saying was how I was "educated".

From there, I followed the white rabbit down rabbit hole, after rabbit hole....never to be the same again.  I found out that those "crazy bastards on the right" were...well...right...err...correct!*^%!!!

Correct on many things, not all, mind you but many many things.

A free mind is a dangerous thing, it's more powerful than a thousand bullets and more deadly than a heart attack.

Flying Junior Added Apr 16, 2018 - 2:34am
Thanks
Thomas Sutrina Added Apr 16, 2018 - 9:38am
@TexasL., the GOP should be worried and many think Ryan leaving and the other retirements in the GOP shows they want to get out before the collapse.   What I do not understand why Ryan doesn't use the Obama corruption House investigations as a campaign tool to get their voters to the poles and sway the undecided.  Mueller and Rosenstein removal would not cause a problem is a they got both of them in front of a grand jury.  Session is not recrused so he could prosecute both for not opposing the sale of nuclear material to the Russians.  They both were involved in the FBI probe into Russian criminal activity to obtain US nuclear material.  At least that is what it appears from the little information now known by the public.
TexasLynn Added Apr 16, 2018 - 2:58pm
Thomas >> many think Ryan leaving and the other retirements in the GOP shows they want to get out before the collapse.

I am one of them.  I think that's obvious.

Thomas >> What I do not understand why Ryan doesn't use the Obama corruption House investigations as a campaign tool to get their voters to the poles and sway the undecided.

I think there are several factors as to why this won’t happen.

1) The GOP lacks balls when it comes to pushing their agenda.  They are worried about perception and the media.  Nothing has changed in that regard.

2) The GOP rightly assumes any information obtained in this matter would be squashed or spun as a partisan witch hunt by the media.  We must remember that a large percentage of the population get their news exclusively from unreliable leftist sources (Main Stream Media, Facebook, Comedy Central, etc...)

When we get into trying to win by smearing our opponent (true or not) we lose.  Why?  Because we've decided to play their game, giving them home field advantage, with their refs calling who wins and losses.

Where you and I differ is that you think if we can just get all the dominoes lined up they'll fall.  I used to be where you are (about a decade or so ago) before I realized that it's just not going to happen that way.  They system is in place to make sure it doesn't.

If the GOP wanted any chance of winning (keeping the House and Senate); dirt on their opponents isn't going to do it.  Their only chance was motivating their base through legislative accomplishments.
Rick W. Added Apr 16, 2018 - 5:07pm
TL>I don't know what to say.  It's hard to explain Trump Derangement Syndrome to the infected. :)

I don't think Trump is nuts. Someone who's nuts isn't responsible for his behavior. :)
Thomas Sutrina Added Apr 16, 2018 - 5:08pm
So if your going to loose TexasLynn then you will find yourself in a position of taking risks.  Telling the truth is often a winning strategy.  Lying is difficult to keep the story straight and the likelihood that you will get caught in a ly is great.  Thus a strategy of telling the truth has a higher chance of success.

Maybe the GOP want to be in the minority position and have no responsibility.  That maybe their objective.
TexasLynn Added Apr 16, 2018 - 8:48pm
Thomas,
You are I are in complete agreement on what the GOP SHOULD do.  They should do these things because they are the right thing to do.  They should do these things because they are politically smart and will hold dirt-bags accountable.

You see right and smart as reasons to expect them to act.  I see right and smart as reasons they won't act.  One of us is right.

I really hope you’re the one who is right, and post article next year on how wrong I was.  We’ll see.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 8:04am
Texas,  The Republican's are doomed because of their failure to accept moderation. The right and left extremes are minorities .Moderates are the majority. Trump understood this and managed to gain enough independents who are basically those who are not pidgeon holed into taking an extreme one sided view of all of the issue's. Partisan blinder's and a narrow minded point of view are what will doom the republicans. Women and young voters are going to determine the next election. Understanding where they are coming from is the key to the next election.
Thomas Sutrina Added Apr 18, 2018 - 9:24am
Actually Cliff the Democrats during Obama likely have swung the pendulum to far to the left, example Governor Brown in California.  The undecided alway vote to return a pendulum towards center.  2018 like 2016 should result in an election for returning towards center, this is why Congress control and the White House is in the GOP's hands.  The government overall is moving left but the pace is much slower then the leadership of the Dems desire.  You are winning.
TexasLynn Added Apr 18, 2018 - 10:04am
Cliff M.,

Thanks for the comment.

I see we have a bit of disagreement.  A few questions then.

If the GOP is doomed for not accepting moderation, what is the fate of the Democrats?  Do they accept moderation better than the GOP?  Are you confusing "moderation" with the act of turning left (which most moderates do)?

I propose that the left, the Dems, have gravitated much more towards the extreme than the GOP.  The GOP still has moderates, who are a constant fly in the ointment when trying to get things done.  I submit there are far, far fewer pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment, pro border enforcement, or pro traditional marriage (I could go on) Democrats than a decade ago.  They have been systemically drummed out of that Party.  This fact has been objectively documented.

"According to Pew Research, the parties are more divided now than they have ever been: As of 2017, there is now an 'average 36-point gap between Republicans and Republican-leaning independents and Democrats and Democratic leaners.' That number is more than double the 15-point gap between the party constituents in 1994. But what accounts for that widened gap? In recent years, only the extremism of the Democratic party. As Pew Research suggests, 'Over the past few years, some of the biggest changes in opinions among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents have been on race and the role of government. There has been far less change in the views of Republicans and Republican leaners.'" -- Ben Shapiro

So, seeing as the GOP is doomed for its extremes... are the Democrats?  Why do I suspect you don't think so?  Who is really looking at this objectively?

I doubt moderates are the majority (meaning over 50%) of the populace; but neither are the those who associate with a Party or ideological leaning.  So, each party must secure the base... then expand into those leaning in their favor.  BOTH are required to win elections.

The point of the post is... the GOP has marginalized their base, so any other efforts are immaterial to the outcome.

How did they marginalize their base?  Moderates making sure nothing (of very little) got done and the GOP surrendering to those moderate inclinations.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 3:48pm
Texas Lynn,  The Democrats have the same problem as the Republicans. Both have a tendency to cater to the extremes. What the Democrats were offering in 2016 with Clinton is why they lost the middle. Both parties will get their bases through thick or thin . Appealing to and not turning off the moderate middle is what wins presidential elections. To expand their base the GOP must appeal to more than traditional conservatives. Trump won by picking up many independents and moderate democrats.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 3:58pm
Thomas,  As a middle class American I am not winning. Especially since the recession corporate America and the 1% are winning large. If I missed something I would be glad to know what it is.
TexasLynn Added Apr 18, 2018 - 4:09pm
Cliff,
It seems we're less far apart than I thought.  I'm glad you see the same problem with the Democrats; though, from my partisan perspective (and looking at the Pew research sited); I see the left catering to their extreme much more than the GOP.

Where we really disagree is your assumption that "Both parties will get their bases through thick or thin."  That's not even remotely true.  They will always get a certain percentage of that base, but they'll never (or rarely) get all of it.  If that percentage drops low enough... all the moderates gained in the world, won't save them.  Just ask John McCain who bet his whole Presidential campaign on that strategy.

On the other side, why do you think the Dems are constantly wringing their hands about minority (especially black) turnout.  They are worried about their base adequately showing up at the polls.

The GOP has the problem in spades, since we conservatives are far less dependable than the black community to vote in lock step with the party wishes.  Much to the chagrin of the GOP.  The recent primaries throwing out the establishment guys are proof enough of that.

I'll go back to my original assertion in the post.  To win, a party must...
First: Secure a certain percentage of the base
Second: Secure a certain percentage of the middle

Miss EITHER of those targets and you lose.  For 2018, the GOP (as a whole) has already missed the first, so the second is irrelevant.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 5:14pm
Lynn,  My theory is that both parties cater to the extremes so they can conveniently ignore the real issues that are important to the middle and continue to appease their puppet masters. I am a registered Democrat since 1975 but rarely support issues according to party alone. I have voted for Carter, Reagan, Ross Perot,Obama and Trump and am really an independent.Have never voted for a Clinton. I have found being stuck in any certain ideology really limits your scope on the issues.Most issues would be better off dealt with on a local level. On gun control mental health of gun owners is my only real concern. On abortion I believe in pro life but not the right to decide for others. I would like to see real affordable healthcare in my lifetime.On taxation a point  equalibrium where bills are paid, reasonable investment in the countries future and deficits are not an issue should be the goal. The budget for the war machine has gotten way out of control. Fiscal policy should enhance all segments of the population. Not just the top.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 5:17pm
On immigration , it has gotten absurd. Illegal labor has become way to abundant and is responsible for wrecking my own career in it's prime. Where this leaves me on the political spectrum who knows?
TexasLynn Added Apr 18, 2018 - 6:04pm
Cliff M,
Again, I appreciate your comments and clarification so as to better understand where you are coming from.

I think where you and I disagree the most, is who the puppet masters are of the respective parties.  The "base" of either party is not in control in any way.  They are pandered too as a means to an end (election) but their goals are often not the goals of the base (more so for the GOP than the Dems).  If there are any puppet masters, it's the big donors (corporations, individuals, unions, foundations, etc...)

In Texas, we don't really register for a party per se, but choose a primary to vote in and then are restricted to that Party's primary for the remainder of the election cycle (for run-offs, etc).  I've never voted in a Democratic primary, and never voted for a Democrat for any office higher than a local (country) level.

I consider myself an independent constitutional conservative.  Meaning mostly, that I refuse to vote for a candidate just because they have an R beside their name.  If they are not conservative, I don't vote for them.  Theoretically, I would vote for any candidate for any party that was truly conservative.

I have found, by a preponderance of evidence, that socially and fiscally conservative ideas best serve society as a whole.  Thus, I embrace that ideology.

Taking your lead... to explore our common ground (and less than common ground) …

I think most issues would be better off dealt with on a local level (a conservative principle).

On gun control, mental health of gun owners is very important, but the 2nd Amendment is a basic civil right as important as freedom of speech, religion and assembly.

On abortion, I am pro-life.

I would like to see real affordable healthcare in my lifetime.  Addressing that from an insurance angle will never result in that.  A free-market approach is the only way to achieve it.  The real problem is out-of-control costs... not insurance.

Government should be small and concentrate on what it was constitutionally constrained to do.  In doing this taxation and a balanced budget should not be a problem.  Both would be small.  We should have a balanced budget amendment added to the Constitution.

National Defense should be THE primary goal of the U.S. government.  That said, we have gone way overboard in what we stick our noses into... and yes, it's budget is bloated.

Even more so is the bloated bureaucracy, social, and entitlement spending which must be brought under control...

Fiscal policy should ensure maximum fairness in competition... the market will do the rest.  No man should pay more than 20% of his income to the Federal Government... no more than 30% when including state and local.  The problem here is the size and scope of government requiring the resources that it does, and not even living within those means (passing the bill along to our grandchildren).

Illegal immigration is a multifaceted problem affecting national security, jobs, and even the fabric of the nation itself.  Vetted, legal immigration is needed.  We’re a long, long way from that.

Again... thanks for the comments.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 6:44pm
Lynn,  Entitlement spending is a large problem. From the no money people to the corporate welfare.Gun issues and mental health are a disgrace. Rural area's absolutely need guns and have a right to self preservation and protection. In urban area's where nut job's are concentrated gun control is a must.As to taxes we have historical facts as to what policies and rates are most effective. One problem I have noticed is that when tax rates get low on the top income classes they also manage to control most aspects of fiscal policy. This becomes one sided like the current situation and hurts the majority. The one thing you never hear from the taxes are too high people is their bill is high because they are also earning high incomes. I saw a government study spokeswoman the other day talking about a study on low income immigration and she was saying in the current situation there is absolutely no reason to continue to let low skilled ,low wage workers continue to saturate the labor market and policy should be made to protect the already decimated native labor pool.
Cliff M. Added Apr 18, 2018 - 6:56pm
Entitlement spending on the poor is an enigma. Benefits have just kept up with the rising cost of living and inflation which is a whole lot better than the vast amount of middle and lower income wages which have pretty much been stagnant for the last 30 years.For many it is a much better deal than they can get working at a low wage position. On the corporate side the game has become make billions in profits while socializing the costs of low wage paying jobs and passing billions of dollars of expenses on to the tax payers. Walmart is the classic example.
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Apr 19, 2018 - 10:22am
Cliff M.

"Entitlement spending on the poor is an enigma" and it encourages more people to take government funds and do other things using this as a financial base.
Gerrilea Added Apr 19, 2018 - 11:28am
Cliff & RTJFK Dem---  "Entitlement" programs go to both extremes, the poor AND the rich.  How many businesses did Obama dictate, against the law he signed, were "exempt" from Obamacare?

I know I'll run afoul of TexasLynn but market capitalism will not solve the problem, it can't. We're too far in debt. We'd have the money if corporations weren't given outrageous tax breaks. Weren't their tax rates in the '50's @ 70%+, with an effective rate around 59%?

The tax breaks Bush put through is responsible for 1/3 of our entire debt. Trump just added $2.4 trillion with his "tax breaks" to the deficit every 10 yrs.

We can't continue to spend 62 cents of every dollar on defense, whether or not we have "entitlement" programs for the poor.

Someone's gonna have to pay the bills.

Dave Volek Added Apr 19, 2018 - 11:28am
Lynn

I think it was Mr. Nixon to said something like:

"To win the presidency as a Republican, one must run to the right as hard as you can during the primaries, then run to the center as hard as you can during the election."

It seems to this thread is dancing around this axiom in various ways.

Great topic, great fielding of the questions!

And yes, the last election (and many elections) are about getting the people out to vote. I remember my first election. My party was ahead in the polls in my constituency. Yet by 4:00 p.m. on election day, I could sense panic in the senior members of the campaign team. Our base was not coming in to vote. We lost!
TexasLynn Added Apr 19, 2018 - 12:13pm
Cliff M,
It seems you and I agree on some things and not on others.

Cliff M >> The one thing you never hear from the taxes are too high people is their bill is high because they are also earning high incomes.

I don't look at the dollar amount.  I look at the percentage.  So yes... dollar amount wise, it's OK that the rich pay more.  What's not OK is for anybody (rich, poor, middle) to be paying percentages in the 30 and 40 and above percent range.  When you reach that point the system is corrupt and broken.  It’s time to do something.

Cliff M >> she was saying in the current situation there is absolutely no reason to continue to let low skilled ,low wage workers continue to saturate the labor market and policy should be made to protect the already decimated native labor pool.

She is wrong.  There is a reason... it's just not one we like.  The reason is, those imported workers are cheap labor for the GOP "puppet masters" and votes for the Democrats.  That is why the system is like it is.

So, again we see the problem.  The free market has been circumvented for dishonest and devious reasons.  That is how you fix the problem.  Stop flooding the market with cheap labor (via securing the borders and immigration reform).
TexasLynn Added Apr 19, 2018 - 12:13pm
Gerrilea >> I know I'll run afoul of TexasLynn

And yet you do it anyway... :)

Gerillea >> but market capitalism will not solve the problem, it can't. We're too far in debt.

Actually, I kind of agree with you... but only in the sense that the problem can't be fixed.  Market capitalism was the only hope a decade or two ago.  We're probably well past the point of no return (as for national bankruptcy).  The free market is the only possible solution but I doubt even that will work now.  Socializing anything will never be the solution to fiscal issues.

Gerillea >> We'd have the money if corporations weren't given outrageous tax breaks.

There are problems there when the likes of Amazon pay little or no taxes.  That's a corruption problem, not a tax rate problem.

Gerillea >> Weren't their tax rates in the '50's @ 70%+, with an effective rate around 59%?

They were at some point in time and it's criminal.  No business or individual should ever be taxed at anywhere near such a rate.  The founding fathers are rolling over in their graves.

We do have a tax revenue problem... too much is collected by percentage and too many use loopholes to pay little or nothing.  That needs to be fixed.

The bigger problem is spending.  I'd say it needs to be cut in half, but wouldn't be sure that goes far enough.
TexasLynn Added Apr 19, 2018 - 12:13pm
Dave,
I've heard that quote before, but don't know who to attribute it to.  The version I've heard isn't specific to the Republicans but to politics in general.

I agree the post and thread is indeed touching on this axiom or at least reading between the lines.  More to the point of this post... when running to the center during the general election if you piss off your base (either by going beyond what your base will tolerate OR by not producing results your base values), you're going to lose.  My point?  The GOP has done the latter... not produced much the base values.

Dave >> Great topic, great fielding of the questions!

Thank you... I try.

I appreciate you relaying your unique experience in an election.  I think you and I see how important that base support is as a percentage and that it's turnout is never a given.
Dave Volek Added Apr 19, 2018 - 2:37pm
Lynn
Politics is about compromise. If one caters to the base only, one risks getting the other side too riled up. Street protests are possible along with citizens not normally voting coming to vote against the politician in the next election.

My political theory is that the non-voters hold the biggest balance of power because they are so volatile. Political parties consciously or unconsciously craft their message to keep this group in front of the TV on election day.

Cliff M. Added Apr 19, 2018 - 7:24pm
Loopholes in the tax system are a huge problem. When wealthy millionaires like Romney are paying at a lower % rate than me who earned a little more than median income for most of my career something is drastically wrong. The self employed and small business's could really use a break but they are not really in a position to lobby and contribute to the coffers of our elected officials.The rate self employed people pay for self employment tax is almost the same as Romney's full tax rate.How is this a progressive tax system?
Gerrilea Added Apr 19, 2018 - 9:58pm
TexasLynn & Cliff M---I think we all agree on something... the tax loopholes.  Don't worry they have a plan to fix it. You both probably missed it...they announced it 20+ yrs ago and have been working towards that every since.

I know, I know...it doesn't look like it but trust me, they are working on it.  KEEP in mind their Hegelian Dialectic of: problem, reaction, predetermined solution.  Also keep in mind, they've divided this nation so completely that politics is all about the extremes...ONLY about the extremes.

The wealthy elite didn't want to pay taxes and had the money to buy everything and everyone in our government. They got their tax loopholes and in most cases, "tax free status" enshrined into law.  The system we have cannot sustain itself forever on printing money.  It will collapse or nearly collapse when they will finally "compromise" with a "flat tax for all".  It's either that or utter oblivion.

The masses will eat it up like candy, never realizing how they were played.  They will never understand that a "flat tax" is regressive for those of us at the bottom....and today that stands at 95%.

WE will join their New World Order, whether you know it or not. The EU and the majority of the rest of the world has already adopted such plans in varying degrees.  Be it a "flat tax" or a "national sales tax", it will come to pass.

Whew, now that I've introduced you to the future, the lottery numbers for tomorrow are......

;-)

Wait, I can't make it that easy for you.

ROFL.

rycK the JFK Democrat Added Apr 20, 2018 - 2:00pm
Gerrilea

"WE will join their New World Order, whether you know it or not."

I wonder which one you mean? Capitalism or socialism or other?
Cliff M. Added Apr 20, 2018 - 5:22pm
There was a republican who ran for president in 2016 that said a 10% cut in spending across the board would be a good start. No body took him seriously. I believe he was governor of New Mexico or one of the south west states. I can't recall his name.
John Minehan Added Apr 20, 2018 - 5:40pm
Gary Johnson, former NM Governor.  I voted for him.
Cliff M. Added Apr 21, 2018 - 6:34pm
Thanks John.
Gerrilea Added Apr 22, 2018 - 1:29am
Ryck The JFK Dem-- I don't think it will be any of those "ism's".  Since they already own everything and everyone, it'll be simple slavery for us and utopia for them.

I'm sure they'll use one of their catchy phrases to sell it, you know they're great at their Orwellian Doublespeak.  "Slavery is the new freedom" or "Ask Not what your country can do for you BUT what you can do for your country!"

rycK the JFK Democrat Added Apr 24, 2018 - 12:30pm
Gerrilea

"Ryck The JFK Dem-- I don't think it will be any of those "ism's".  Since they already own everything and everyone, it'll be simple slavery for us and utopia for them."

Well, probably, but in Marxist and socialist areas every everything and everyone is merely owned by a different group. What is the difference?

" Orwellian Doublespeak.  "Slavery is the new freedom" or "Ask Not what your country can do for you BUT what you can do for your country!""

Reads better as : "Liberalism or progressivism is the new freedom" or "Ask Not what your country can do for you BUT what you can do for your political party!"

"I'm sure they've already got the script written, we'll just have to wait and see."

I am certain that would have been in Hillary's first SOU speech.
Gerrilea Added Apr 24, 2018 - 1:14pm
Ryck The JFK Dem-- Now that was funny, thank you.

;-)
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Apr 24, 2018 - 6:21pm
I hoped  you would like this.