The Dog Ate My Homework

Here in dispatch we got all sorts of goodies this year in honor of Public Safety Telecommunications Week, much of it in the form of food from various appreciative members of the public. I especially liked one of the first ones, a paper bag full of all sorts of neat snacks, many of them of my favorite type--chocolate. But I wasn't able to partake right away, because right after I got home we had to leave again, to see my mother in the hospital. So, I left it on the kitchen counter until we returned.

 

The dog ate it.

 

He left most of the list, so I could see what I was missing.

Most of the chocolate was gone. Dogs love chocolate for the same reason humans do: It's bad for you. But, I'm happy to report, Beowulf made it through the crisis with a smile on his snout and an ache in his stomach. Okay, I'm not so very happy.

 

It's hard to tell how much of the bag he swallowed, but he didn't get to the microwave popcorn, and apparently the can cooler was too chewy. The green stuff at the bottom left is from one of those Scentsy wax smelly things--but that's another blog.

 

He also didn't get the gum, which is maybe for the best. Imagine that moment of panic the first time he passed gas after a whole pack of gum moved through his system.

 

In any case, although I remain less than happy with him, at least Beowulf didn't make himself sick going places he wasn't supposed to go. And me, I've learned my lesson: First, never take your work home. Second, whenever you get chocolate--eat it. Right now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Flying Junior Added Apr 17, 2018 - 2:58am
That is one cool-looking wolfie-boy!  Great smile.  Love the name, Beowulf.
 
Don't feel too bad.  Back in the 1970s, my mother's big huge, athletic Bedlington Terrier ate seven or eight grams of Mexican Commercial that she found in my room.  When I got home, Mom and my sister had already taken her to the vet.  My sister was washing her car on the driveway while she kept an eye on the dog.  Natasha was resting comfortably on a dog bed.
 
That Bedlington Terrier was stoned.  Immaculate.
 
I was in some deep shit.
Dave Volek Added Apr 17, 2018 - 4:56pm
I was living in Edmonton in 1987 when the tornado struck. We had been having a week's worth of thunderstorms and not paid too much attention--until many, many ambulances went by my neighborhood. Then I turned the radio to find the news.
 
Then the authorities were warning us of another storm system passing over Edmonton and warned everyone to go to a basement room. Which I did with my neighbor and her family.
 
When I got back to my house, the cat from another neigbor had somehow snuck into my house and found the salmon steak I had thawing for a barbecue. If the cat was going to die in the second tornado, it was going to die happy.
 
 
Mark Hunter Added Apr 17, 2018 - 6:08pm
Yeah, that’s a bigger doggie endangerment story than mine, Junior!
Mark Hunter Added Apr 17, 2018 - 6:09pm
Dave, that would be one happy flying cat!
Michael B. Added Apr 17, 2018 - 9:18pm
Mark, you got off easy! I had a neighbor once that was very sweet but kind of dumb. One day she was preparing for a party and made all kinds of good meat, like filet mignon, etc. Being the dummy that she was, she left it out long enough for her two dogs, a giant black Lab and an even bigger Collie that she could have easily saddled and rode, to have a great meal. She wound up making an emergency visit to Subway, and almost to the hospital!
Mark Hunter Added Apr 18, 2018 - 12:25am
Wow, I've never made a mistake that big when it comes to dogs!

Recent Articles by Writers Mark Hunter follows.