On Bible Babble

On Bible Babble
  • 654
  • 118
  • 11

I don't really get Bible babble.

What is that?  Well, let me explain.

I've had conversations, here and elsewhere, where in the middle of a conversation someone will suddenly break out a Bible verse.  If it's in real life life this will be followed by silence and an expectant look.  If it's in cyberspace it will come at the end of a paragraph.

In the real world I usually say "and?"  In cyberspace I will make a snarky comment about "Bible babble. "

I'm not a Christian.  I have no frame of reference to Bible verses and saying something like that to makes me think you had something to say but forgot it.  The Bible verse is covering up a senior moment.  That's quite alright, have a senior moment but don't quote the Bible at me to cover up for it.  I won't know what you are talking about.

Now, if you are talking to a fellow member of your parish or congregation, babble the Bible stuff at each other all day long.  Undoubtedly you will look very wise to your community.  They will look at you with great respect and speak about your amazing ability to Bible babble at the drop of the hat.  They will say things like, " Wow, did you hear Mr. So-and-So pull out the amazing Bible babble to Reverend Jones???  It's like he can Bible babble in his sleep with one hand tied behind his back!!!!!!!! "

The point is, know your audience.  If you Bible babble something at someone without knowing where they stand then you may lose them.  Feel them out a little.  Throw out a test, like, "So, what do you like to do in your spare time?"  If they say they like to spend time with the coven, dancing naked in a forest grove under the full moon while sacrificing a goat, then you best keep the Bible babble to yourself.  If the answer is they enjoy spending time baking cupcakes to prepare for the monthly bake sale at the church, why, you have a winner.  You can then test out a little Bible babble to gauge that person's familiarity with the Bible babble.

Really, it's good with any form of Christian platitude.  Another is the sudden spontaneous "Praise the Lord!!!!!" I got PTL'd this morning at the gym.  It's confusing to me, I didn't quite know what to say.  I could've just faked a PTL at him but I thought that might lead to unnecessary Bible babble.  I can fake a PTL but the Bible babble is quite beyond me.  I sort of mumbled a "Good morning" and stuck my head in my book.  However, a moment later another gentleman joined us with a hearty PTL and the two commenced to conversing, with much Bible babble laced in.  I felt relieved that I was off the hook.

So, in conclusion, I just want to say that I have nothing against Christians of any type.  You seem like nice people but remember not everyone is like you.  You can't just drop a Bible babble and expect everyone to know what you are talking about.

Comments

Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:17am
Yet to this day, the Lord hasn’t given you a heart that understands, eyes that perceive, and ears that discern.
Deuternonomy 29:4
Flying Junior Added Apr 21, 2018 - 4:10am
Benjamin,

Jesus quoted Isaiah who was quoting the author of Deuteronomy?

How cool is that?

Jeffrey,

What most of the sillies who like to toss around Bible quotes on-line just don't seem to get is all summed in one essential truth.

Judeo-Christianity is all about a God who gives his children the ability to reason and discern truth.  Come let us reason together.  Though your sins be as scarlet...  God has given us a sound mind.

OTOH, the devil is the great deceiver.  He can only rob and propagate lies.  His path leads to spiritual death.

It's that simple.  Anything else in a political arena is nothing more than self-serving sacrilege.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Apr 21, 2018 - 4:21am
I second Mr Kelly's motion.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 21, 2018 - 9:24am
Jeffrey

Not here in Switzerland. a) first of all we have very few "believers", and b) the ones who are there will tell you after 30 minutes, hey man, get a beer over here LOL
Dino Manalis Added Apr 21, 2018 - 9:25am
For some, it's just more babble, but, for others, the Bible must be respected and followed carefully.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 21, 2018 - 9:29am
BTW: I know that "Americans" (US citizens) are pretty wired to "god" and stuff, maybe because they don't know better being quite isolated of the OUTSIDE world ;-)

But please update them a bit. Otherwise I'll ask Bill, he's the tech whiz here LOL
Shining One Added Apr 21, 2018 - 10:36am
"God, please save us from your followers!"
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:04pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:

Yea, verily, and the Lord did speaketh:
”There's too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go round
Can't you see
This is a land of confusion.”
Genesis 19:86
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:08pm
@Flying Junior:
Many Christians forget the love, forgiveness and brotherhood that Christianity is based on.  I remember it far more than they do.

Instead they are intolerant and unforgiving.  It’s not just their failing, all religions fail in that regard.  I’ve always said that religions are a beautiful thing, it’s people that ruin them.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:08pm
Thank you all for the comments, BTW.  I wrote this late and wasn’t sure about the reception I would get.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:17pm
God, please guide lost souls.  It's not all their fault.

I own a King James Bible but I don't thumb through it.  I keep meaning to!  I know some scripture by chance through other studies.  I went to both Catholic and Baptist services as a child, and understood the core principles to a fair degree.

God is good.  God is great.  God is not simple but many of us do overcomplicate religion and God.  For me God is nature, or they at least work in tandem.  Above all, I think we find God in the honest pursuit of truth and in searching our own souls.

God is not church.  God is not a punishing judge, holding a whip, anxiously hoping you'll sin so that he might gratify himself by punishing you.  God is not a charity house, a nun or priest, and he doesn't reside in the Vatican.  This is my perception.

I'm not a door-knocking conversionist by any stretch.  I don't attend services because I don't feel steered by God in that direction and I don't feel closer to God by listening to the local expert who talks about him.

We don't have to know verses and hymns to be good Christians, IMO.  We don't have to bless this or that or donate to Israel.  We just have to remember the message Jesus brought to us and was crucified for, and do our best to live by his credo in a world that's increasingly difficult to do so.
Even A Broken Clock Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:35pm
The best comment I've seen about Christians came from Gandhi - "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Jeffrey, what you encounter is that many assume there is a common Christian culture completely surrounding everyone. They are probably as nonplussed as you when you don't respond to their sayings in the expected way.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:48pm
Even A Broken Clock:
Nice, I didn’t know Ghandi said that.

I live in the Bible Belt.  I say a large percentage here attend church of some type.  My parents raised me as Catholic but I attended different churches with friends as a child.  To me they were all pretty much the same, some were more formal than the Catholic Church, others less so.  My older sister and mother remain Catholic while my brother attends a Seven-Day Adventist Church and my younger sister attends Life Church.  Faith works for them, it doesn’t work for me.

Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:53pm
Atheists are repetitive and dull as fuck. The notion that atheists are somehow nicer and more forgiving than Christians is ludicrous. It also strikes me how non-Christians define how a Christian has to be. Silly.
Ian Thorpe Added Apr 21, 2018 - 12:59pm
When people quote The Bible at me I usually reply that I'm not religious but there are some bits I like, the stuff in Genesis about aliens knobbing cavemens' daughters, the Song of Solomon, although for many years I've wasted a lot of time looking for a woman with breasts like bunches of grapes,  the bit about The Rivers Of Babylon (although I prefer the Boney M version with its reggae beat to the King James Version,) and that passage from Ezekiel Samuel L Jackson says in Pulp Fiction.
I'd never admit it to a god squad member but speaking as a literature grad, the translation of Psalm 23 is a technically excellent piece of blank verse, although rather than "my cup runneth over" I'm sure a better translation of "calix meus inebrians" would be, "my cup makes me drunk," and I can relate to that.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 21, 2018 - 1:09pm
Atheists are repetitive and dull as fuck.

Yep sure, buddy. Du hast keine Ahnung von was du sprichst. Dull as fuck ? Dann bist du dasselbe arrogante Arschloch, das andere niedermacht in the name of religion or what ? Get your fucking gehirn working again and never ever tell me such crap about us Atheists without being one selber.

Keep on bullshitting yourselber, aber nicht mich anymore.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 21, 2018 - 1:11pm
BTW:

You rating has been reviewed. AA- means you are now Mr. Silberstein.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 1:12pm
Yeah Goldsteen.  A big, Hollywood "Achtung Juden!" to you.  This article is not called 'Talmud Talk'. :).  Go find that thread.
Shining One Added Apr 21, 2018 - 1:27pm
Benjamin Goldstein, "Atheists are repetitive and dull as fuck." as usual, the ignorant project their own afflictions on to others. So in your mind, being a Christian is about being nicer than anyone else?

"It also strikes me how non-Christians define how a Christian has to be." How conceited can you get? You have the gall to accuse non-Christians of that, when millions of Christians are constantly preaching to non-Christians how they should behave! This is the worst case of cognitive dissonance I've come across in two days.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 1:57pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:
”Atheists are repetitive and dull as fuck.”

Did I say I was an atheist?  I said I was not Christian.  That doesn’t mean I’m an atheist.  My views on the existence of “God” are many.
Blabbering Christians are the same way.  The same with any religious sect that babbles inanely towards a non-believer.

“The notion that atheists are somehow nicer and more forgiving than Christians is ludicrous.”

I agree.  I’ve met atheists that are just as insufferable as any Christian or Muslim.  Or Jew.

“It also strikes me how non-Christians define how a Christian has to be. Silly.”

First, why do you give a fuck?  You’re a Jew.  Second, I’m not defining how any Christian “has to be.”  I don’t care.  What I’m asking is for them to leave my out of it.  Go and be Christian somewhere else.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 21, 2018 - 2:07pm
Ben

A little advice: Never insult people of their religion or of their not having one. Especially when you are a guy who believes in outer space Mickey Mouse or so. Because if you do, you haven't understood your own religion which is "be tolerant to others" remember the Hippie Jesus ? All of those famous books talk of tolerance, but why is it that we atheists never called for wars against other religions ?

Think again. And don't come up with bullshit like communism or so. That's as old and useless as Powell's flow chart on Iraq.
Dave Volek Added Apr 21, 2018 - 2:25pm
Preach to the heathen.
Preach to the doubter.
Preach to the cynic.
Preach to the enemy.
Preach to the sinner.
When in doubt, preach. So say the Lord your God

The Gospel according to Dave. Chapter 91, verse 1039

Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 2:27pm
Cool. I hit all the right bottoms.

Christians are constantly preaching to non-Christians how they should behave!
No, they don't. I'm not a Christian. I even used to be an atheist for quite some time. Just repetitive void accusations that are untrue. The atheist broken record.

Kelly. I don't care if you are an atheist. You mindlessly repeat soundbites of theirs. You don't write an article to ask to be left out of it. You invite being addressed for it. You are hardly ever berated by Christians to do something according to their morals. It's silly. Nothing but prejudice, mostly by people who claim that only everybody around them is prejudiced.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 2:31pm
Good point, Goldsteen.  This JK character calls himself 'not Christian', yet espouses Irish Catholic heritage.  Now we know who the real "denier" is, don't we?
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:15pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:
”Cool. I hit all the right bottoms.”

You like to hit bottoms????  WTF????

“Christians are constantly preaching to non-Christians how they should behave!”

Huh?

“No, they don't. I'm not a Christian.”

So, I repeat, why do you give a fuck?

“I even used to be an atheist for quite some time.”

Good for you.  You apparently collected the insufferable attitude that some atheists and others possess.

“Just repetitive void accusations that are untrue. The atheist broken record.”

What accusations?  I don’t give a shit what someone is.  My request is you leave me out of it.

“Kelly. I don't care if you are an atheist.”

That’s nice.

“You mindlessly repeat soundbites of theirs.”

I asked that people not Bible babble at me.

“You don't write an article to ask to be left out of it. You invite being addressed for it.”

Oh, gee.  I’m sorry, Benjamin.  Next time I’ll ask your permission before I write something. You can tell me yes or no and then I’ll tell you to go fuck yourself.  How’s that sound?

Boy, I can’t make anyone happy.  Charles gets upset when I write denier stuff, Stone gets upset when I write Holocaust stuff and Benjamin gets upset when I randomly muse about something on my mind.  I guess my next article will be about my dog.....and undoubtedly I’ll get a lecture about it from a cat person.

:p

“You are hardly ever berated by Christians to do something according to their morals.”

LOL, I’m not??????  Really??????

“It's silly. Nothing but prejudice, mostly by people who claim that only everybody around them is prejudiced.”

I’m actually one of the most unprejudiced person you’ll ever find.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:20pm
@Tom Purcell:
”Good point, Goldsteen.”

It’s weird to see a denier and a Jew agree on something.  Are you feeling OK, Tom?

“This JK character calls himself 'not Christian',”

I’m not.

“yet espouses Irish Catholic heritage.”

Well, I am Irish.  My parents raised me as a Catholic.....I’m not sure I understand where the disconnect is, Tom.

“Now we know who the real "denier" is, don't we?”

Yes, you.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:22pm
You are denying Christ.  That aside, you deny the obvious truth all the time, and continue to shill for the Ashkenazim like a good Shabbos goy.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:30pm
And you don't get to pull a 'Pocahontas' and pick and choose your heritage.  You say you're "Irish Catholic" in comments of one article, then post another that flat out denies Christ.  On top of it, you write about the phony genocide with a capital 'H'.  One day, for convenience you're "Irish Catholic" then the next you're "not Christian" but "not atheist".  You're Jewish?  What then?
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:30pm
@Tom Purcell:
”You are denying Christ.”

I am?  I accept that Jesus was a historical figure.  Whether or not he was the Son of God as relayed by scripture, I have no idea.  It’s entirely possible that if God exists that he sent his only begotten son down here to tell us to get our shit together.  If so it didn’t work.

Also, I’m puzzled by the contradiction.  If God had a Son, that implies that God has a gender.  If so, isn’t that limiting for a God?  The God as I read in the Bible seems masculine but that’s even more limiting.

Puzzling.

“That aside, you deny the obvious truth all the time,”

What obvious truth?

“and continue to shill for the Ashkenazim like a good Shabbos goy.”

Damnit, Tom, I thought they were Khazars.  I found your Khazars BTW, did you read that link I sent you?

But, seriously, find a theory about the Jews and stick with it.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:38pm
I'm not the one that invented two plus a third term for Eastern European folks that comprise the three.  (Khazars/Ashkenazim/Jews of Eastern European descent).
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:47pm
@Tom Purcell:
”And you don't get to pull a 'Pocahontas' and pick and choose your heritage.”

I can do as I please, Tom.  It’s my heritage so I can do what I want with it.

“You say you're "Irish Catholic" in comments of one article, then post another that flat out denies Christ.”

Tom, I don’t really take “heritage” all that seriously.  I don’t really think about it all that much.  I’m me.  My family is both Irish and Catholic.  My brother and younger sister dropped the Catholic bit some time ago but even they say they were raised Catholic.  We are all Irish but my maternal great grandmother was Czech.  She married an Irishman after emigrating to the US.  They were both Catholic.  So, I’ve got a little Czech heritage.  So what?

To top that off, my aunt, who is big into genealogy, thinks that some of our Irish ancestors may have married Spanish settlers in Ireland hundreds of years ago.  So, it’s entirely possible I have some Spanish heritage.  Cool, huh?  Only it makes no difference in my daily life whatsoever.

“On top of it, you write about the genocide with a capital 'H'.”

I didn’t in this article.  You brought that up, not me.
I took out the “phony” in your sentence.

“You're Jewish?”

Nope.

“What then?”

I explained all of that above.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 3:54pm
@Tom Purcell:
”I'm not the one that invented two plus a third term for Eastern European folks that comprise the three. (Khazars/Ashkenazim/Jews of Eastern European descent).”

Well, I don’t know about Khazars, Tom.  Ashkenazim is a widely recognized term for Jews of Eastern European descent.  Another is Sephardic, Jews of Spanish descent that settled in Eastern Europe.

I do find it interesting, perhaps Benjamin can shed more light on this.  What I did find interesting is that the Nazis themselves struggled with the differences and that often saved Jews that were not considered racially Jewish. I hesitate to write something about that. I still might, I might get some valuable input.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 4:23pm
You like to hit bottoms????  WTF????
The zionist motto: Ex Uno Pluribum (et Discordiam)!

No, DOGS!!! I forbid it! (All religious people boss others around as we have just learnt).

So, I repeat, why do you give a fuck?
Jews learn from history what unsubstantiated accusations do.

There are only three people who quote the bible occassonally on WB: Ray, Don and myself. And if you have a look at Ray's comments he isn't actually reading the bible but fortunetelling on the basis of the book and the holy Kanses City Times. And yet you sound like you were hounted. The reality is that a hell load of undecipherable and inconsistent responses come up in online conversation and bible quotes are a miniscule portion of it. I hardly throw them out without providing context and relevance.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 4:47pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:

“So, I repeat, why do you give a fuck?
Jews learn from history what unsubstantiated accusations do.”

Benjamin, I’m not advocating murdering every Christian or kicking them out of the country.  I simply don’t want to be bothered.

“There are only three people who quote the bible occassonally on WB: Ray, Don and myself.”

Lynn also does it but that’s neither here nor there.

“And yet you sound like you were hounted.”

I don’t remember naming anyone in particular.......I actually didn’t think of you at all.  I really wasn’t thinking of Writer Beat authors though I guess Ray and Lynn count.  I haven’t seen Don but I don’t follow him.

“I hardly throw them out without providing context and relevance.”

Good for you.  During a biblical discussion I see where that is relevant.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 5:17pm
Kelly: i think I should relax. It is really hard to keep moral standards these days. To counter false accusations has always been an integral part of my moral sytem, but now with the entire culture of my country going downhill I don't even find neonazis upsetting anymore. I just view where the most aggression comes from and it is from European leftists. So I should maybe have a double standard and only get upset about their action because of the enormous power that they hold.

Yesterday a theater play opened on a big stage in the City of Konstanz. The name "Mein Kampf." I'm not kidding. Free entry if you wear an armband with a swastika. Subsidized by German tax payer money. The Jewish community protests and boycots. Nobody cares. Anyway, the story is a bit murky. At least the Nazis are still portrayed as evil. They are lumbed together with Donald Trump, members of German conservative party AfD, the Ku Klux Klan and British PM Theresa May (because of the brexit). And that is all ok because the producer is a Turkish Muslim.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 5:24pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:
”just view where the most aggression comes from and it is from European leftists.”

I see the opposite.

“So I should maybe have a double standard and only get upset about their action because of the enormous power that they hold.”

Well, give it time, Benjamin.  The right seems to be rising in Europe.

“Yesterday a theater play opened on a big stage in the City of Konstanz. The name "Mein Kampf." I'm not kidding. Free entry if you wear an armband with a swastika.”

How is that even possible?  I thought displaying the swastika violated German law.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 5:27pm
Leftists are above the law! That is the whole problem at the moment.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 5:29pm
I mean this is a serious problem. You cannot talk back. If a leftist attacks you, you cannot use the same words or symbols to show them that they are crossing a line.

Conservatives in Europe really only hold the ground in the East because these people have fought off their left-wing dictatorships and don't want them back.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 5:38pm
Here is a newspaper article about the theater play. And here is its google translation. Just that you guys see that I don't make stuff up. It's surreal.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 6:22pm
Hey, Benjamin?  Here’s our old buddy Billy.  He wants his little butt buddies to recruit conservatives and other right wingers into his little group.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 21, 2018 - 6:26pm
I know. Tom has published an article on it. In America the Hitler fans have somewhat conservative politics and are religious (unlike the real Nazis). In Germany they are socialist and atheist. The German version is closer to the original, but the American brand would just be as worrying if they gained power.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 21, 2018 - 6:47pm
I do appreciate the reads & comments, guys.
Albert Solomon Added Apr 21, 2018 - 8:27pm
Jeff Kelly:

Perhaps I enter these conversations with to much serous thought. But being as I consider myself somewhat of a junior theological scholar, I would be doing a great dis-service if I didn't correct a major error in what you wrote in this article. As noted below!

Mr. So-and-So pull out the amazing Bible babble to Reverend Jones???

The corrected version should have been:

Mr. Smith pull out the amazing Bible babble to Reverend Jones???

There, I feel much better now!
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 8:30pm
;)
Thank you Albert.  I will endeavor to keep that in mind in any future discussion about Bible babble.
Mustafa Kemal Added Apr 21, 2018 - 10:04pm
Jeffrey Kelley, provocative article.  However, provocation can be a much finer art and many can do it. Milo is much better at it IMO. For example,

“Now, if you are talking to a fellow member of your parish or congregation, babble the Bible stuff at each other all day long.”

This is filled with ad hominem and essentiallly kills your article at the onset. Moreover,  it will naturally incite a hostile reaction that has nothing to do with the real, and substantial content of your article, such as “you are an atheist” ???????

When I read it I am remined of how many times I am told
“God is Love!” and I ask, is that a declarative statement? What ARE you trying to tell me?  can you support it? or am I supposed to swallow it as if it is written on a tablet.  Is that Allah of you speak? Or Vishnu? Same as the bible is “the word of God”. So, you mean that all those fallible humans with all their power manipulations, after hundreds of years, had no input into it other than what God had in mind?  And after 300 years we had a vote and the vote determined that Jesus was divine?  Huhh?
Do you really expect me to just swallow that? Moreover, the number of Christians that I know that think bombing the shit out of the ME is ok  because they are terrorists is large.  Some religion of Love. And lets not forget the Evangelicals who are driving us to the apocalypse with their
assistance in the generation of the Balfour declaration AND the creation of the state of Israel under the misdirections of the Scofield Reference Bible.  Then there is their  Israel “has the right to defend itself “. Argggg!

I am staying in Phoenix now and there is alot of Christian radio, and first testament Christian radio. I listen to it quite abit.  I ask my self “who would think this a good thing to advertise?”, the listing of blood sacrifices to be made with the specification of gender and quality of the animal. Erff. I speak to them and they tell me we need to attack Syria because they are going to attack Israel sooner or later. The self fullfilling prophecy  has no end. Then when you corner them on it, they pivot to the humanitarian sarin gas attack dead baby appeal. More errrrfff.

Mustafa

Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 10:39pm
@Mustafa Kemal:
”Jeffrey Kelley, provocative article.  However, provocation can be a much finer art and many can do it. Milo is much better at it IMO.”

I find Milo, if it's the same Milo we are talking about, an annoying douche.

This is filled with ad hominem and essentiallly kills your article at the onset.”

I think you need to understand what this article was.  I wrote this rather late and didn’t put a lot of thought into it.  I wrote it with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.  It was sort of private musing, something not intended to be taken all that seriously.  I thought it might annoy some, make others smile, even chuckle.  It sort of became more than that.

“Moreover,  it will naturally incite a hostile reaction”

That’s not a bad thing.  Sometimes it’s good to annoy people.  Sometimes it’s good to let people see the inner monologue, things we don’t tell each other in polite society.

“that has nothing to do with the real, and substantial content of your article, such as “you are an atheist” ???????”

Why do people think I’m an atheist?  Does it matter if I am?

“When I read it I am remined of how many times I am told
“God is Love!”

Maybe all you need is love.

“and I ask, is that a declarative statement? What ARE you trying to tell me?  can you support it? or am I supposed to swallow it as if it is written on a tablet.  Is that Allah of you speak? Or Vishnu? Same as the bible is “the word of God”. So, you mean that all those fallible humans with all their power manipulations, after hundreds of years, had no input into it other than what God had in mind?  And after 300 years we had a vote and the vote determined that Jesus was divine?  Huhh”

I’m not really trying to support anything.  This was sort of a tongue-in-cheek article, something I could write and publish instead of spending days researching.  When I write those sorts of things you will know.

“Do you really expect me to just swallow that?”

Swallow what?  That Jesus is divine?  That’s an article of faith.

“Moreover, the number of Christians that I know that think bombing the shit out of the ME is ok  because they are terrorists is large.”

I don’t support that.

“Some religion of Love.”

IKR?

“And lets not forget the Evangelicals who are driving us to the apocalypse with their
assistance in the generation of the Balfour declaration AND the creation of the state of Israel”

I do find that ironic.  Evangelicals support Israel so that the End of Days will come and call all the good Christians  home.....and all the non-Christians will go to hell, including all the Jews.

“under the misdirections of the Scofield Reference Bible.”

Oops, well, see above.

“Then there is their  Israel “has the right to defend itself “. Argggg!”

Well, they do.

I’ve mentioned my feelings on this previously, I won’t repeat myself.

“Yes, there is alot of babble out there, and alot of Bible babble, but you can do better, you dont need to create a babble of your own.”

I write what I write, Mustafa.  You are certainly always welcome to comment.

Shrike Hyperion Added Apr 21, 2018 - 11:40pm
IKR? The Bible, at over one million words, has a quote that can seemingly validate practically any contention whatsoever. So my response to someone quoting scripture is to tell them to do their own dirty work.
Pardero Added Apr 21, 2018 - 11:41pm
But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 11:45pm
Damnit, Pardero, really?????

LOL
Pardero Added Apr 21, 2018 - 11:46pm
Just messing with you.
I still do like Proverbs, though.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 21, 2018 - 11:47pm
I got that, I found it funny.
Pardero Added Apr 21, 2018 - 11:48pm
LOL
Jeffry Gilbert Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:11am
Jesusfuckingchristonagoddamnfuckingcrutch this shit is boring.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:28am
Wow, that was a long word with no breaks.  Did an animal of some kind walk across your keyboard?
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:50am
Gilbert:

“My people, recall how king Balak of Moab deliberated, and how Beor’s son Balaam counseled him from SHITtim to Gilgal, so that you may know the righteousness of the Lord.”
Micah 6:5
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 1:10am
The above is a joke of course (the quote is real, but you know what I mean).

I first thought that I should expand on the anti-evangelical racism saying that the group ain't homogenous and that most attributes ascribed to them does not fit the behavior and speech of priminent individuals like Jimmy Carter. Then I thought I should address the anti-Israel racism pointing out that the same people who want to topple Assad (likely to be replaced by a more vicious Israel hater) also try to expand US influence in Yemen, Afghanistan, Mali and so on.

Back to the article, however, I think we can all agree that many quote the bible very poorly and that is dull as fuck. If a proverb isn't catchy it doesn't help that it is in the bible. If a story does not illustrate your idea, it is not a better choice only because it comes from the bible. Many quote sentences that completely mean something different when they are ripped out of context. That is disingenious.

Recently an atheist blogger in Germany started a debate on his blog about Jesus. And it's mind-boggling how few believers are actually willing to defend what Jesus and other biblical figures said or did. Instead, they say stuff like reading the bible with a rational mind hurst the understand or everything is meant 'spiritually' and can change its meaning to one's pleasing whenever apt. I mean if you make that you have to be stupid to read the bible, you shouldn't be surprised that people think that you are stupid.

I basically quote the bible like I quote movies, song lyrics or modern literature. I find the biblical content more interesting, though, because it tells me something about other times with other views and morals.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Apr 22, 2018 - 6:16am
Did an animal of some kind walk across your keyboard?

Bwahaawwww. Something like that.

David Montaigne Added Apr 22, 2018 - 6:36am
Personally I think the Bible has some useful content and some nuggets of ancient wisdom to pass down, but those rare jewels are sandwiched between so much useless nonsense that it can be painful to sift through.  It's sad to see fairly intelligent people rely on what they think the Bible means as evidence they are right and have the final say on everything... Like any long, ancient book that has survived for millennia, it's because there is some good and useful stuff in it.  But to take the official party line on all of it, every single part as perfect divine revelation?  I can't swallow that pill.  Best of luck to those who can.
Doug Plumb Added Apr 22, 2018 - 10:56am
Bible babble, pro Bible or anti Bible is perpetuated by people that have almost no understanding of Christianity. Christians are the worst in this regard. Quote from the bible all day long and not understand a word of it.
Hollywood and the media have been painting Christianity with a shit brush since the media became powerful. The stupid fall for it without learning about it.
Mustafa Kemal Added Apr 22, 2018 - 11:09am
Jeffrey Kelley, re;
"I think you need to understand what this article was.  I wrote this rather late and didn’t put a lot of thought into it.  I wrote it with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek. "
Ok, now I understand.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 11:34am
Sometimes I will write something whimsical, Mustafa.  I do it as an easy to publish something without having to wrestle with research.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:01pm
Jeffrey wrestling with research is like Jeff Sessions wrestling Andre The Giant...futile, comedic.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:17pm
LOL
Tom, that’s one the funniest things I’ve ever seen you write.  Thanks, your sense of humor is much more developed than your understanding of history.

I do enjoy a good joke.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:31pm
If you haven't seen it already, check out the HBO Documentary 'Andre The Giant'.  As a kid I watched him and Hulk Hogan and the others, in the early-mid 1980s, the golden era of WWF, but that was after Andre's prime.  The new documentary is excellent, and includes a lot of early tape of him.

I've been fascinated by Acromegaly/Gigantism medically, and I even own a Giant dog breed as an indication of that curiosity, but this Andre was not like any other.  He could rag doll a very massive Hulk Hogan at 6'8" 300+lbs.  On his farm as a young man it's said he would complete the work of 3 men in one day.  Most giant humans don't have that kind of proportional strength or balance, so he was a unique specimen.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 12:44pm
I don’t have HBO but thanks for the suggestion.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 1:13pm
I'm sure you can find a way to watch it anyway, if really interested.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 1:34pm
I’ll look around on YouTube.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 4:18pm
Kelly: While you are on YouTube, you may also see this.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 4:29pm
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 4:42pm
Yes, they are touching on it. But the Lady in the studio quite rightly says that there is a wider, rampant problem that came with the James Corbyn leadership into the Labour party.

What I notice in Germany is that many antisemites pop up now on the political right as well. It used to be fringe, but violent on the right and covered as anti-zionism and broad on the left. Now, the topic immigration is moving antisemites from the left of the political spectrum to the right.

I see the tides rising across the political spectrum. A majority of French Jews are organizing ways to leave the country according to polls (I believe it was 70% if I remember correctly).
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 4:45pm
Making a joke about Israel isn’t antisemitic.

I didn’t get a chance to watch the whole thing, I will later.

Bigotry and intolerance is not a left or right issue.  It’s a human one.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 4:53pm

Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:03pm
No wonder the Ashkenazi version of anti-Semitism is on the rise.  The Jew with the British accent says, "Using the word 'Zionist' is another word for 'anti-Semitism', and it cannot be tolerated."  Well he and all of you better get used to anti-Zionism because it is snowballing in a big way, and the greater good in future generations will be better for the eventual fall of Israel and the complete collapse of Zionism, especially in the West.  If you think Hollywood's WWII for Jews is bad, just wait until you see Zion's real war.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:10pm
She's right.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:16pm
“She also seemed to have left a number of comments about Hitler across social media.”

And?

“And then there is something about her 'joke' that may not upset you, but that I find particularly vicious. It claims that the Middle East would live in peace and harmony once the Jews were gone.”

Oh, I doubt that but Israel is a point of contention.  Netanyahu and Thud don’t make it any easier, along with the other right-wing psychos that hold Netanyahu by his short and curlies.

But the Middle East still has oil and Islamic fundamentalism to contend with.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:22pm
@Tom Purcell:
”No wonder the Ashkenazi version of anti-Semitism is on the rise.  The Jew with the British accent says, "Using the word 'Zionist' is another word for 'anti-Semitism', and it cannot be tolerated."

She’s not wrong, Tom.  “Zionist” is now used as an epithet, I get called that and I’m hardly Zionist and I’m not a Jew.

“Well he and all of you better get used to anti-Zionism because it is snowballing in a big way, and the greater good in future generations will be better for the eventual fall of Israel and the complete collapse of Zionism, especially in the West.”

What happens to all the Jews if that masturbatory fantasy of yours comes to fruition, Tom?  What do we do with those Jews that will live in this future Israel when it falls?

“If you think Hollywood's WWII for Jews is bad, just wait until you see Zion's real war.”

See, that just sounds like you are advocating a genocide you deny happened, Tom.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:23pm

And I'm the first to criticize Netanyahu where it's due. I did so on my blog. I did not like the missiles on the airfield in Syria. I don't like his current anti-Iranian rhetoric. Okay. Criticism. "Wail, wail, Palestinians, babble, wail" is no criticism. It's antisemitism. Suggest a viable policy -> No antisemitsm.

"And?" Pro tipp: Cheering Hitler -> also antisemitism.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:25pm
None of Tom's masturbatory fantasies come to fruition.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:33pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:
”Kelly: You are also naive about antisemitism. They claim that ALL problems in the Middle East come from Jews. ALL.”

That sounds like a “them” problem.

If Israel vanished, today, right now, it solves nothing.

“And I'm the first to criticize Netanyahu where it's due. I did so on my blog. I did not like the missiles on the airfield in Syria. I don't like his current anti-Iranian rhetoric. Okay. Criticism. "Wail, wail, Palestinians, babble, wail" is no criticism. It's antisemitism. Suggest a viable policy -> No antisemitism.”

I don’t like crocodile tears on behalf of the Palestinians any more than you do.  I understand that the Palestinians inflict a considerable amount of harm on themselves and it doesn’t help when the Hamas psychos insist they don’t give a shit what anyone does.  They want Jewish blood and an opportunity to finish what the Nazis started.

"And?" Pro tipp: Cheering Hitler -> also antisemitism.”

Fine.  So, she made a joke and said some things about Hitler.

Benjamin, I’m a free speech advocate.  That goes both ways, if I believe you have the right to say what you want that works for her as well.  I am also a realist, I understand that there are consequences.  Politicians don’t have the luxury of saying what they want.  I wish it wasn’t that way but there you go.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:34pm
As for what you said about Tom.....LOL
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:38pm
What does it have to do with free speech? I'm not asking to punish her. I also said - as do the two guests on the program - that there is a rising tide. I don't concur that politicians should be punished for their speech either. But I think they should be told how inappropriate it is to praise Hitler and blame every conflict in the Middle East on the Jews.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:44pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:
”I don't concur that politicians should be punished for their speech either. But I think they should be told how inappropriate it is to praise Hitler and blame every conflict in the Middle East on the Jews.”

I agree.

See, it took awhile but we got there.... ;)
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:45pm
Hail!
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:48pm
Crap, Benjamin, we just agreed on something.  That’s bad.  Isn’t that one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Benjamin Goldstein Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:49pm
I'm a conservative. The apopcalypse is always around the corner.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 5:50pm
LOL
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 7:45pm
Well, Goldsteen and Kelly are getting tight, and performing quite like WB's version of Lenny and Squiggy from the old sitcom, 'Laverne & Shirley'.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 7:48pm
Well, it’s nothing like the threesome you, Doug and Mefo got going on.
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 7:53pm
Tom C. Purcell Added Apr 22, 2018 - 7:55pm
(Seinfeld)
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 8:01pm
@Tom Purcell:

”Now you're the George Costanza of WB (see the 'jerk store' episode).  Goldsteen might as well be Jewey - I mean Jerry.

(Seinfeld)”

That would mean more to me if I ever watched Seinfeld.

But it’s better than being the resident idiot (you) and the resident cat lady (Doug).

Pardero Added Apr 22, 2018 - 8:03pm
LOL!
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 8:08pm
Good to see you enjoying the banter, Pardero.  We are a fun bunch.
James Travil Added Apr 22, 2018 - 8:36pm
I'm with Ian from way back in the thread where he says the Bible is good for the stuff about the aliens grabbing men's daughters to screw and of course the Song of Solomon is a real fun thing. Overall I pretty much agree with Alex from A Clockwork Orange about the Bible and Bible babble.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 22, 2018 - 8:38pm
Damnit, now I want to watch A Clockwork Orange.
Stone-Eater Added Apr 22, 2018 - 11:49pm
Did I read my bible today ? No. Goddammit. Sorry. Allahu Akhbar :)
TexasLynn Added Apr 23, 2018 - 10:30am
Sorry, I'm late to the conversation.  I took a bit of a holiday away from society and technology.

I also quote the founding fathers as a patriot, Shakespeare and other authors as an avid reader, and Daffy Duck as a purveyor of the fine arts.  All of these are relevant and excellent tools in getting points across (dependent on the readers willingness to read of course).  Personally, I would not admonish anyone for quoting any source (religious, historical, or otherwise) if it is such an influence on their beliefs.

In the same vein, I have made it very clear that I despise Islam (based on my reading of the Koran), but would have no problem (or take no offense) if a Muhammadan quoted the Koran to help me understand his perspective on an issue or even disagreed or corrected me on what I believe Muhammad taught.  We may disagree, even passionately, but I understand the teachings of his prophet are central to how he views the world and are invaluable in helping me understand that view.

Bill H. Added Apr 23, 2018 - 12:03pm

Here's one for you-
All of a sudden, Team Trump is pushing abstinence-only education for teenagers!
Ohh yeah! I'm sure teenagers will see Trump as a model when it comes to morals and abstinence.
It just only keeps getting more and more ridiculous.
Mike Haluska Added Apr 23, 2018 - 12:35pm
Bill H -

Maybe the emphasis on "abstinence" in regard to sexual relationships among children/teenagers is because it is the only method that works every time it's practiced???  Advising children/teenagers to just "go ahead and have sex if you're protected" is like telling them to "go ahead and play with your dad's pistol if it's not loaded"!

When we (you and I) were kids, if a boy got a girl pregnant he was in big TROUBLE!  Back then would the girl's parents let the boy simply walk away from any obligation or sense of responsibility like we do today?  What would your dad have done with you?

The Welfare State has destroyed the traditional family, personal responsibility and a decent two parent home life for millions of people - mostly poor minorities.  Prior to the Welfare State the illegitimacy rate among Blacks was less than 6% - since the Welfare State it has exploded to 70%!!!

Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 23, 2018 - 1:54pm
@TexasLynn:

Good for you to dump technology for a few days.

”I would guess that I'm one of those JK takes offense at when I quote the Bible.  And yes, JK, you do obviously take offense (as many do on WB).  I assure you no offense is intended, and I'm sorry you feel as you do towards us Christians.  I will grant you that we often fall very short of the teachings of Christ.  I suspect Gandhi's followers often fall short of his teachings.”

Lynn, TBH, I wrote a lot of this article with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

I said this before, I have no issues with Christians as a group, any more than I have issues with Muslims, Jews or Buddhists.  They all fall short in their various teachings.

“As for as why I quote the Bible, it is simply intended to help someone better understand where I (as a Christian) am coming from on a particular topic.  If I quote a verse, I assure you it is relevant to the topic and not just random "babble".”

You understand that has no meaning to me, right?  I would rather you tell me your position in your own words.

“I also quote the founding fathers as a patriot, Shakespeare and other authors as an avid reader, and Daffy Duck as a purveyor of the fine arts.”

Out of all the people you listed I respect Daffy the most.
;)

“We just saw in this thread that Gandhi's quote was relevant to this conversation.  I'm not Hindu yet found it instructive in how EABC (and others) feel about us Christians.  Listening to criticism from someone outside looking in can be very constructive.”

Yes.  But even Hindus have human failings, just like Christians.

“In the same vein, I have made it very clear that I despise Islam (based on my reading of the Koran),”

This is my major issue with you.  I don’t mind you as a person, you strike me as very intelligent and your political views are your own.  However despising a particular religious belief system based upon a reading of the Koran strikes me as short-sided and not particularly Christian.  How would a Muslim feel about Christians based upon a reading of the Bible, Lynn?  Wouldn’t you encourage him or her to speak to a pastor or priest?

“JK (or anyone else), if you ask me not to quote the Bible on any of your posts, I would respect that.  My posts and the site in general is a different matter entirely.”

On something I write I prefer you talk to me without resorting to it.

TexasLynn Added Apr 23, 2018 - 3:07pm
JK >> You understand that has no meaning to me, right?  I would rather you tell me your position in your own words.

I just don't agree with that bias or position when it comes to discussion.  It's like putting your hands over your ears and saying, "la la la la, I can't hear you" until the danger of objectionable material passes.

JK >> Out of all the people you listed I respect Daffy the most.

Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny are indeed great scholars of our age. :)

JK >> This is my major issue with you.  I don’t mind you as a person, you strike me as very intelligent and your political views are your own.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think I've used research and logic to arrive at my conclusion.  And I'll admit, I've reached a point where I'm not second-guessing that conclusion or seeking out new input.  I'm past that phase in the process.  I'm not saying I'll dismiss it out of hand if offered or stumbled upon, just that my time is better spent on other endeavors now.

I'll admit I'm not interested in debating Islam with experts on Muhammad.  If that community wants to convince me they are indeed what they claim (a religion of peace), THEY will clean up the violent and despicable mess the few have made of their faith.  Until then their inaction speaks all the volumes of information I need to hear.

JK >> How would a Muslim feel about Christians based upon a reading of the Bible, Lynn?

I have no clue.  That would be a question for a Muslim who has done so.  His religion teaches that the "People of the Book" have been misled and that the book is a lie.  I don't take that personally; many/most of the world believes that (including most on this site).  I say his prophet was no prophet at all.  What is the difference in our disbelief of each other's respective religion?  The punishments prescribed by the respective followers.

JK >> Wouldn’t you encourage him or her to speak to a pastor or priest?

That would depend upon my evaluation of his motive and sincerity.

JK >> On something I write I prefer you talk to me without resorting to it.

Fair enough.

On other comments and posts, I prefer you not make a big deal out of its usage.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 23, 2018 - 4:06pm
@TexasLynn:

I understand you have a bias that causes you to choose not to give any consideration to such information.”

I have no biases, Lynn.  I could care less if you were a Christian, Muslim or Jew.  I wouldn’t want any of them to quote the Koran or Talmud at me unless we were discussing.  As the Muslims I know don’t bother it’s not an issue.

“In comparison, I may inform someone that I believe the 2nd Amendment applies as an individual right because of something a founding father wrote or said on the subject.  If they decide they will absolutely ignore any and all information coming from old dead white men they are deciding the experiences and research that formed my opinion are simply inadmissible in the public debate.”

If we are having a conversation about the 2nd Amendment then quote it as much as you like.  We can discuss court cases and such and how the 2nd Amendment is now viewed.  The men who wrote the Constitution were brilliant men of their time, educated and enlightened.

“JK >> Out of all the people you listed I respect Daffy the most.

Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny are indeed great scholars of our age. :)”

Oh, yes.  I still watch them.

“JK >> However despising a particular religious belief system based upon a reading of the Koran strikes me as short-sided and not particularly Christian.

Well, let me ask you this.  Forget the Koran for a moment.  What if I told you I read the works of Charles Manson, or the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski), or David Koresh, or Jim Jones... and found their overall philosophy and message utterly despicable and evil; and that I found the actions and results of their message to be the same.  Would you equally question my conclusions?  Would you encourage me to get in touch with those who support and/or knew these men better so as to be more inclusive (and less short-sighted) in my thinking?  At what point (as in number of followers) does that become necessary?”

None of the comparisons you listed above have anything in common with Islam.

“I'll admit I'm not interested in debating Islam with experts on Muhammad.”

Who said anything about debate?  My feeling is you would benefit from having a discussion.  Not an attempt at conversion or a battle of ideas but a discussion, a sharing of concerns.

“If that community wants to convince me they are indeed what they claim (a religion of peace), THEY will clean up the violent and despicable mess the few have made of their faith.  Until then their inaction speaks all the volumes of information I need to hear.”

Is Islam the only religion to create bloody messes?  Did you forget your own history as a Christian?  Shall I remind you of the horrendous things Christians have done throughout the ages to “unbelievers,” even those who are Christians like themselves?

Islam didn’t corner the market on behaving badly, Lynn.

I have no clue.  That would be a question for a Muslim who has done so.  His religion teaches that the "People of the Book" have been misled and that the book is a lie.”

Doesn’t Christianity do the same?  Other faiths are wrong, they are a lie?

“JK >> On something I write I prefer you talk to me without resorting to it.

Fair enough.

On other comments and posts, I prefer you not make a big deal out of its usage.”

Fair enough.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Apr 23, 2018 - 11:24pm
Thinking that quoting a biblical verse clarifies your position is the absolute height of cluelessness.
Mike Haluska Added Apr 24, 2018 - 9:38am
For all of you that believe our Constitution has nothing to do with Judeo-Christian principles (not religion), consider this:

Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 24, 2018 - 12:21pm
What does that have to do with my topic, Mike?
Proclaim Liberty Added Apr 24, 2018 - 4:36pm
Doesn't it seem to you, Jeffrey, that a relevant quote from classic literature of one sort or another is merely a way of reinforcing the validity of an opinion -- saying, in effect, "This isn't just my personal opinion, but it is supported or attested by folks smarter than I and by a host of others who agree with the classic source."?  Now, arguably, Daffy Duck is not a purveyor of classic wisdom, but he is a cultural icon and the humor expressed through his dialog is often influenced by much more ancient sources.  Of course, some of his favorite expressions ["Woo hoo!"] are just as qualifiable to be deemed "babble" as anything you might hear from a Bible-Belt Christian interlocutor.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 24, 2018 - 5:13pm
@Proclaim Liberty:
”Doesn't it seem to you, Jeffrey, that a relevant quote from classic literature of one sort or another is merely a way of reinforcing the validity of an opinion -- saying, in effect, "This isn't just my personal opinion, but it is supported or attested by folks smarter than I and by a host of others who agree with the classic source."?“

It’s a fair point.  However, then you need to explain where that quote comes from and it’s relevance in case I don’t understand.

Seems like a long way to go to make a point.
John Minehan Added Apr 25, 2018 - 11:10am
I have a slightly different opinion: to quote Shakespeare or the King James Version ("KJV") of the Hebrew Bible and the Gospels in the US (or elsewhere in the Anglosphere) is sort of like a Classical Greek quoting Homer.

If that Classical Greek were a Proselyte of the Gate or a Christian or a Stoic or someone who lived (and was comfortable in a Parthian or Sassanid culture), they would still use those tropes among other Greek-speakers.

You may or may not believe in the faith, but they are great words and most often great insights into human nature, no less than what Homer left to us.
John Minehan Added Apr 25, 2018 - 11:38am
"Try and find one law in the books that isn't rooted in one of the Ten Commandments."

The Anti-kickback Statute ("AKS") comes to mind. (42 USC Section 1320-a 7b).  AKS prevents any remuneration to be paid, in cash or in kind, for a health care referral.

I have not seen such a prohibition in the 10 Commandments (on the other hand, this law, like the non-criminal Stark Amendment [42USC Section 1385nn], are most often described as "Talmudically complex").
Proclaim Liberty Added Apr 25, 2018 - 11:59am
Well, John, maybe the first thing to understand about the notion of "rooted in the Ten Commandments" might be that each one represents an entire general category of commandments, rules, ordinances, precedents, decisions, et al.  So when you cite a rather detailed sub-statute like the one you selected, it might take a similar search through the arcana or "Talmudic complexity" of Jewish law to find something comparable.  On the other hand, wouldn't kickbacks, bribery, cheating, and any other attempts to profit from distorting the operation of a lawful system fall under the general category of stealing?  If not, they certainly could be said to violate the prohibition against coveting -- though it *has* been suggested that violations of *any* of the major commandments can be traced in some manner to the selfishness of coveting. [:)]
John Minehan Added Apr 25, 2018 - 6:01pm
The issue is practice with AKS is the moral issue: bargained for exchange is NOT stealing.  However, where the public fisc is concerned, we tend to look carefully (Talmudically?) at the transaction?
James Travil Added Apr 25, 2018 - 7:38pm
The (Constitutionally illegal  but none the less...) federal laws against hemp and marijuana. God never made any laws outlawing his own creation, the very notion is absurd. And I don't even believe in God but he still isn't depicted that damn irrational and outright stupid.
William Stockton Added Apr 26, 2018 - 4:49am
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" ~Shakespear

I suggest you begin looking at the positive side after getting over your hyper-wincing of other people's quirky survival behaviors.

At least they are not shouting "allahu akbar".
At least they are not quoting the second most read book in the world (hint:  not the Koran) which for the most part is a great story but has very few truths about life.

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”  ― J.R.R. Tolkien
William Stockton Added Apr 26, 2018 - 4:57am
By the way . . . I'm not religious.  Used to be.
However, I suppose, as you are a follower of the cult-left, this looks more like a religious war to me.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 26, 2018 - 7:06am
You know, people can quote Tolkien at me all day long.  I don’t mind that.
Bill H. Added Apr 28, 2018 - 4:04pm

When we bombard our children with messages that it's totally acceptable (or even expected) for them to constantly screw each other and rack up the scores via social media posts, then what the hell do we expect?
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 28, 2018 - 5:32pm
@Bill H.
”Mike - We agree on lack of morals. I disagree in that Trump is in any position whatsoever to discuss lack of morals or abstinence.”

Amen to that.

;)

Funny how Evangelicals sold themselves out like whores to a man who is a serial philanderer.  Let’s face it, consistency is not their strongpoint.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Apr 28, 2018 - 5:34pm
Oops, now I sound biased.

:D

Recent Articles by Writers Jeffrey Kelly follows.