As Darkness Descends

As Darkness Descends

As darkness descends,

Bound for perpetual night,

Eight billion groans, moans and laughs

Adorn its progress.

Obliviously distracted

And living in denial

As the concrete and mud

Steal the very breath

In a slow motion crash

Equipped with no brake or airbag;

Flicking through,

Chortling

At the frivolous,

As the life

Is squeezed

Out of the land.

Opher – 8.4.2018

Comments

opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 6:42am
I don't know if this is being published or not. Nothing seems to work on my profile. It says there are multiple versions but I can't delete them.
Oh well.
This is a poem.
David Montaigne Added May 13, 2018 - 7:27am
Poetry is a nice change of pace here, but this bleak kind of poem is unlikely to draw the ladies to Writerbeat as so many comments wish we could do...
Kurt Bresler Added May 13, 2018 - 7:43am
I could visualize the Earth hitting another planet or a meteoroid strike.
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:48am
David - no, you are right. I was in a bleak mood. Not one to attract the ladies I'm afraid.
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:49am
Kurt - I'm glad it resonated with you.
Kurt Bresler Added May 13, 2018 - 7:54am
opher ,   maybe your predicting the end of the world, did you have a bad case of gas that kept you up??
Katharine Otto Added May 13, 2018 - 11:09am
Opher,
See what happens when you believe in time?  It sets you up for believing in The End.

Now me, I believe in phase changes, like water converting to steam.  There is no end, but a perpetual transformation of matter and energy.  So what, in the cosmic scheme of things, if humanity nukes, poisons, or mutates itself out of existence, along with all the animals and plants we know and love?  In the great glut of endless time, perhaps a new and more intelligent world will emerge, one that knows how to live, love, and play, without money or world conquest, as the animals do.

By the way, I thought of you while reading about Hepatitis B, found in ancient skeletons.  The "scientists" are busy re-creating some now-extinct strains.  Now, I question the wisdom of re-creating extinct pathogens, but it reminds me that extinction may not last forever.
Mustafa Kemal Added May 13, 2018 - 4:14pm
opher et al.
re;"It says there are multiple versions but I can't delete them.
Oh well."

I contacted Autumn about this and she tells me that they are working on it but dont know when it will be fixed.
Im my experience, when I clicked submit and nothing happenened, i clicked a few more times. Then multiple articles. I suspect if one clicked submit only once and then left the page, one might get only one article. The same thing happened with "edit" It never let me know that it made my changes, but those changes appear to have been made.

As for your dark poem. It captures well our forbodings. But many tell me: things have always been this way. I respond, I dont think so.  Maybe you need to read some history.

Indeed, Trump is poking every hornets nest he can. Tomorrow we move the embassy to Jerusalem. Indeed, then there will be Peace in the Valley

Mustafa

Pardero Added May 13, 2018 - 4:58pm
Opher,
Pretty gloomy but very good. I suppose that I am employed in an industry that "squeezes the life out of the land." Anyone alive could be said to be doing the same, if only indirectly. When that 8 billion is 16 or 32 billion, I don't expect any improvement.
Neil Lock Added May 13, 2018 - 5:33pm
The Darn-Poor Rhymer responds:

As darkness comes
In the west,
So daylight comes
In the east.

As winter comes
In the south,
So summer comes
In the north.

Sines and cosines,
Swings and roundabouts.

Humans go up, politics goes down,
As the world goes round and round.
While Earth continues its libration,
Let’s pour out some good libation!

James Travil Added May 13, 2018 - 6:54pm
"but it reminds me that extinction may not last forever."
With viruses that is true, and Hepatitis is a virus. Viruses are an enigma, the only thing known to live again, sometimes ages after death. I don't know if that's uplifting or gloomy.
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:30pm
Kurt - no a bad case of reality.
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:31pm
Katharine you are right. New forms come out of the debris. It just saddens me to see the mess we are making.
I hope that extinction is not for ever!
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:32pm
Mustafa - Yes - I clicked too many times but nothing was happening!
The world is a dark place right now.
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:33pm
Padero - yes we are all contributing.
That is why I say overpopulation is our biggest problem
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:34pm
Thanks Neil!!
opher goodwin Added May 13, 2018 - 7:35pm
James - we are on the verge of real Jurassic Park. With DNA we can resurrect extinct species. We'll see.
Viruses are strange things.
Mustafa Kemal Added May 13, 2018 - 9:01pm
opher, your poem rings soundly.

However, let us not take things too seriously. Life is way too important for that. Keep Joy! You are part of the good fight.

Mustafa
Katharine Otto Added May 13, 2018 - 10:07pm
Neil,
A good counterpoem to Opher's poem.
wsucram15 Added May 14, 2018 - 12:51am
ooooo..this is dark, true but dark.  I like this one.
opher goodwin Added May 14, 2018 - 5:35am
Mustafa - joy but with an eye on what is going on.
opher goodwin Added May 14, 2018 - 5:35am
Cheers Jeanne.
Stone-Eater Added May 14, 2018 - 10:35am
Oph

Not really optimistic ;-)
Stone-Eater Added May 14, 2018 - 10:36am
Mustafa

This won't happen. Before that, nukes will be released.
Kurt Bresler Added May 14, 2018 - 11:13am
@ Mustafa  "Indeed, Trump is poking every hornets nest he can. Tomorrow we move the embassy to Jerusalem. Indeed, then there will be target="_blank">Peace in the Valley

I suspect the only thing that is going to get us out of this is if the US economy and dollar collapses to the point where we cant afford our war machine any more. I suspect that is what Russia, China, and Iran are doing. Playing the long game. That will certainly mean alot of pain in the US. As for outside the US, usually monsters thrash out as they collapse and die."
Poking Hornets nests is Trumps MO,  he gets a little Chaos going so people will take a stand on an issue.  If they don't come to a better agreement then he might back off and let them drown themselves.
THE USA is not really based on the dollar it is based on the Petro-dollar that is,  rather than Gold, the (extra) Money from the Middle-Eastern Oil ie Saudi Arabia is invested in U.S. dollar denominated assets.
However even if the petro-dollar failed the US reserve bank btw not owned by the Federal Gov't it is a private institution which is given powers by the Gov't ,  would find some other valuable liquid asset like water or oxygen to stand behind the dollar unless China has it's way of moving in with a Yuan based international currency.
But your right about the Nukes being released which is why the USA is fighting against Iran's Nuclear program. That would be a gigantic threat to the USA against keeping the petro-dollar alive since it is based on MEastern Oil.
wsucram15 Added May 14, 2018 - 12:46pm
Brings to mind a favorite song of mine.."Tales from the Darkside"...
rycK the JFK Democrat Added May 14, 2018 - 1:14pm
What form of darkness?? Political? Cultural?
opher goodwin Added May 14, 2018 - 6:47pm
Stone - no - realistic.
opher goodwin Added May 14, 2018 - 6:48pm
Kurt - he is meddling with things he doesn't understand. He is beyond his capabilities.
opher goodwin Added May 14, 2018 - 6:48pm
I'll check that out Jeanne.
wsucram15 Added May 15, 2018 - 2:23am
you should..perhaps not your cup of tea....but very honest. Its dark but has a message. Like your poem.
wsucram15 Added May 15, 2018 - 2:29am
And I apologize..it is called "Tales From the Hard Side", not dark side, its just a very dark and symbolic song about some very bad things.
opher goodwin Added May 15, 2018 - 4:18am
Who's it by Jeanne?
opher goodwin Added May 15, 2018 - 4:22am
Was it the one by Biohazard? Just listening to it now. Started good! Difficult to make out the words!
Mustafa Kemal Added May 15, 2018 - 11:57pm
Kurt,
re:"But your right about the Nukes being released which is why the USA is fighting against Iran's Nuclear program. "

You have that backwards. We need new threats, so we restarted Irans nuclear threat meme. Cant do regime change when they are certifiably behaving themselves.

Manufactured Crisis

Its good for woar

opher goodwin Added May 16, 2018 - 4:46am
He's certainly manufacturing crises.
Dino Manalis Added May 18, 2018 - 8:45am
Darkness descends during the night and the sun rises again the next day.
opher goodwin Added May 19, 2018 - 3:07pm
Dino - usually - but not for everyone or every creature and not for ever.
Neil Lock Added May 20, 2018 - 11:04am
Good heavens! I agree with Dino. Almost unprecedented!

And congratulations to Opher and Michael B for writing the only two threads to make it through the week, during which WB has been all but unusable, still attracting comments.
opher goodwin Added May 20, 2018 - 12:44pm
Cheers Neil. What's going on?
Jeff Michka Added May 21, 2018 - 4:40pm
Well, of course the Orange Il Duce needs a war to really distract from every "problem at hand."  And Sheldon Adelson's support of Trump relies on a war with Iran.  Why is any of this a surprise?
opher goodwin Added May 22, 2018 - 6:47am
Jeff - that looks what is on the cards - either that Korea or a restart of Afghanistan.