Police Story, Part 2

As if the vehicles they drive aren’t becoming scary enough, take a look at the cops themselves. Much like a hostile alien mother ship that releases smaller versions of its menacing self, a bumpy, boxy, antennae and gear-laden vehicle often produces a bumpy, boxy, antennae and gear-laden individual also known as your friendly neighborhood police officer.

The cops seem to be so overladen with equipment and weaponry it’s no wonder shootings seem to be more common these days; why run after someone you have no hope of catching when you can simply gun them down? As if they need any help in that area. Ask Eunia Love, a black woman who was shot to twelve times by the LAPD over a $10 gas bill back in 1979, or the MOVE group, whom the Philadelphia police literally bombed back in 1985, which resulted in 11 deaths and over 60 homes being destroyed in the resulting fire. Giving the police more firepower, to borrow a quote from a friend, is like giving The Hulk brass knuckles.

The 1987 movie Robocop seems to be edging closer to becoming reality. A half-man, half-machine thing that possesses superior firepower, superhuman strength, tank-like armor, and the ability to acquire and store data that’s admissible in court is just the ticket for the future of cops. Many veterans of our various wars are still allowed to serve even after losing entire limbs in combat. Advances in prosthetic limbs are just the beginning; bionic limbs and powered exoskeletons, once only in the realm of science fiction, are coming soon, to a theater near you. As many military types often become cops, do the math.

What could be the outcome of all of this? Some things certainly leap to mind. Jaywalkers? Why else were 30mm chain guns invented? Brrrrrrrrrrr! Done! Illegal parking? No sweat! Why else were Hellfire missiles invented? Whoooooosh….BLAM! So long, car! A bunch of kids loitering behind a building smoking pot? Literally tear them limb from limb. There’s really no problem on earth that cannot be solved by the proper application of gunfire and high explosives. The arming of helicopters and drones goes without saying. We can all count on law enforcement to be more and more less and less friendly in the future, as they will be more and more like machines and less and less like the people they’re supposed to be protecting and serving.

Comments

Thomas Sutrina Added May 28, 2018 - 8:16pm
What policemen are missing is an accelerates and also these four, attached to their hands and feet and a ear phone in their ear.  When a punch or kick is recorded without a indication of a blow to them it say, "your suspended and if you continued you will be charged with battery and fired."
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 28, 2018 - 8:43pm
Damn skippy Michael.
Jeff Jackson Added May 28, 2018 - 8:59pm
Michael, what you are talking about is called "mission creep." Your everyday local agencies are being armed with automatic weapons, armored vehicles, and all sorts of military surplus that is sometimes donated to them. They aren't your local cop anymore, they're ready for terrorists, or any plain citizen that they think might be. The result has been, especially in impoverished urban settings, that none of the citizens trust them anymore. In many cases, they have generated animosity all by themselves. If they treat ordinary citizens like terrorists, pretty soon ordinary citizens will begin to behave in the way that they are being treated. The lists of overreaction and the use of lethal force is getting longer every year. They are getting the citizens with an attitude that they created.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 28, 2018 - 11:46pm
Stating that the Hellfire missile was invented to suppress illegal parking is about as whacky as it gets.

Perhaps, but exceeded only by your wacky idea of cops can do no wrong.

EXPAT Added May 29, 2018 - 1:35am

Common Guys.
The police do what the local government commissions them to do! If the Mayor of Ferguson orders them to stand down, cars get burned and stores looted.
If a store owner in Staten Island calls the Police to enforce a ban on a guy selling individual cigarettes, and he protests, he gets choked to death.
If unregulated, people/Police will act out their fantasies.
If you want good police, make good laws, and the fewer the better.

From what I have seen, in cities, cops become the very perpetrators they police. i.e. free blow jobs from prostitutes , while on duty, shaking down drug dealers, being racist thugs, etc.

But in places like Montana, they set an example of discipline and decorum. The last time I was there, I got a WARNING ticket, for doing 100mph in a 80 mph zone.
My conclusion is that social pressure dictates police behavior.
EXPAT Added May 29, 2018 - 1:42am
Jeffry.
We know what it is to live free. The police in Thailand apply a practical interpretation of law. The exception is when they are sent out to get money for their salaries. Road Blocks find any minor offense. I got an 800 baht fine for having my motorbike registration in the seat well instead of attached to the License plate in a tube.
Kurt Bresler Added May 29, 2018 - 1:56am
If I was a cop I would be doing everything in my power to sway the chances of my staying alive.
I see our law enforcement facing criminals who don't give a shit about nothing including going to jail for 20 more years for nailing a cop,  talking about suicide bombers, we have millions of suicide shooters only problem is rather than snuffing their own life out with a gun  they use a gun to snuff their own life out with a murder wrap.
It's a dog kill dog world out there.  I think EXPAT hit the nail slightly on the head when he said "Social pressure dictates police behavior" that is unless you live in a police-state
There is no doubt the cops fear for their lives and the more unrest in the USA the more the cops are going to go for the big ammo, and who can blame them.  Do you want to take their place?
The fact is, when a terrorist visits your neighborhood you will definitely be grateful the cops didn't show up with a pea shooter.

Stone-Eater Added May 29, 2018 - 3:03am
This pretty much shows that wherever in the world, when ordinary people who are in a position of state power and at the same time badly paid, will misuse that power to rip regular Joe's off....
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 29, 2018 - 5:19am

Do you want to take their place?

That presupposes anyone herein is fuckin' stupid enough to want to be a cop. Only assholes wanna be a cop.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 29, 2018 - 5:21am

Driving While Farang. Phuket is even worse.
Dino Manalis Added May 29, 2018 - 8:53am
 Community policing is vital to reassure people about their safety!
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 29, 2018 - 11:08am
 Community policing is vital to reassure people about their safety!

Cops don't keep us safe. Quite the contrary.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 29, 2018 - 11:25am
Fine, if you ever have a road emergency be sure to call a social justice warrior.

Listen copsucker, I never call the fuckin' pigs for any reason. Ever.

Cops only make a bad situation worse. They ain't gonna help me, they ain't gonna get my stolen property back (like I'd want it after it was stolen anyway), they aren't going to unrape my sister, nor make her feel any better about it, they ain't gonna catch the rapist (pro hint: it was the cops that raped her with their night sticks) and they won't be prosecuted for threatening a businesswoman at her place of business for filing a lawsuit against the cops that raped her daughter nor any other goddamn thing of value.

Now go burnish your gold plated knee pads mutherfucker, off you go now, mind the gap  between train and platform. BUH-Bye.

Jeffry Gilbert Added May 29, 2018 - 11:35am
Thomas Sutrina Added May 29, 2018 - 1:34pm
Cops arrive 3 to 10 minutes after you call them.  So for many crimes the event is finished.  Cops do not protect the people.  Cops administer the law and if the situation is right in the process protect people.  The police need guns because they proactively seek our contact with criminals that are often armed, they arrest people.  This is after a crime is committed.

So any politician that tells you they (the police) will protect you is LYING.   A policeman can not be on every street corner.

Gun ownership is for self-protection.  The concealed gun owner seeks to protect the bodily safety and property of himself and others without seeking to do so.  Retribution is neither an essential nor even necessarily common part of self-defense actions.  Once a gun is acquired, the owner only rarely does anything defensive with it.  That was the case for the parents of the High School boys that used their parent's guns.  Only a minority of defensive owners actually use their gun for self-protection, however; defensive use of a gun are about 3 to 4 time as common as criminal users of guns.

What we never see on the news or statistics is that the most common use of a gun for self-protection, crime, and justice system activities is the mere pointing of the gun and knowing it is available.  This represents about 97% of actual incidents.  For a defensive gun user no report is filed.  The crime was averted so it falls through the cracks.

Gun ownership is the lowest cost means available to the poor.  And they tend to have neighborhoods with higher crime, more reason for self-protection.  My guess is that more unregistered guns exist in these neighborhoods then those owned by criminals.  Thus the use of unregistered gun will never be reported unless no other choice is available.  Police are aware of this.  Politicians are aware of this and this is why gun buy backs are always happening.  When the responsible citizen decides the advantages of a gun are less then the disadvantages they have his option.  The parents of the HS shooters at their school I would bet were aware of the risk from their children.

Thomas Sutrina Added May 29, 2018 - 2:19pm
 Cops administer the law so if we do no like the laws they administer as voters we need to get politicians to change them.  Pot is an example of that effort and drunk drivers is an example of getting police to enforce a law.   Police chose to loosely apply drunk driving laws but we forced them to change their mind.

The effort of civil rights argument has resulted in changes to police enforcement.    Some changes to enforcement are good some are bad.  The voters elected Trump since he said he would improve immigration law enforcement.  Those that appose such enforcement are changing the local enforcement of laws.

Police themselves violate laws and the police department try not to enforce the laws on their own because it hurts the department.  The use of cell phones and now body camera's is starting to change self enforcement of laws on the police.  However; this is also a retraining effort.  The police department will only alter their enforcement so long as the department will not be harmed.  The public has force exceptions to this rule.  Chicago police department has been force to accelerate enforcement of the law against police in the department.  To date only the most grievous cases will be enforced but the voters should expect the rate of adjustment should be higher in Chicago.
James Travil Added May 29, 2018 - 7:10pm
Good article Michael and interesting comments, I tend to agree with Jeffry. Never call the cops, they only make a bad situation worse. Also I preferred Robocop 2, far superior design and stopping power. Just don't put a dope fiend with a god complex in control. That's probably good advice for hiring cops in general actually.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:22pm
@ Thomas S. - ???
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:22pm
@ Captain Gilbert - Somehow I knew you wouldn't be a critic, lol. I think I'm going to fuck with the police for a while more, lol.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:23pm
@ Jeff J. - Exactly. I remember the early 90's all too well. The U.S. Government, flush with "victory" in the Cold War and the Gulf War, proceeded to throw its weight around in places like Waco, Texas and Somalia. It had an overall trickle-down" effect on cops everywhere. When G. Gordon Liddy said citizens should shoot "jack-booted thugs", he was pilloried for it, but from my perspective, what other choices do they leave you?
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:23pm
@ Grumpy C. - News flash dude. There's enough grumpy curmudgeons around here, and they're much brighter than you. I'm guessing you have a "Support Your Local Police" bumper sticker on your Prius? LOL
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:24pm
@ EXPAT - Great comment, I cannot improve on it.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:24pm
@ Kurt B. - I have enough firepower to smoke anybody who fucks with me, so what the fuck do I need the cops for? Usually a cop only files a report, which they will fight tooth-and-nail, because, as bureaucrats, which cops are, they absolutely HATE paperwork.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:24pm
@ Stone - True.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:24pm
@ Dino - As per usual, shut the fuck up, Dino.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 9:25pm
@ James T. - Yes, they do. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of a single instance in my own life where cops made a positive difference; it's usually the total opposite. My next post will focus on the fucked-up shit I've personally seen cops do, which, when thinking about it, is much, much more than I thought.
Thomas Sutrina Added May 29, 2018 - 11:00pm
Micheal B.  You started out with this >>The cops seem to be so overladen with equipment and weaponry it’s no wonder shootings seem to be more common these days; why run after someone you have no hope of catching when you can simply gun them down?>> This is the exception because they arrive after a crime.  The public are told police are there to prevent crime, but Micheal B. police arrive 3 to 10 minutes after you call them.  So for many crimes the event is finished.

Police administer the law, that is opposite of what is taught in schools and by the media and politicians and the results Micheal B. is belligerent people.  Police physical shape and the amount of crap they carry I am sure statistically will show doesn't change their chances of running after someone.

Police have been out of shape for decades and the only difference know is that political correctness doesn't allow them to be fired for being out of shape before they get enough experience to be to valuable to fire for being out of shape.
Michael B. Added May 29, 2018 - 11:34pm
Thomas S., thank you for clarifying that. Your estimation of police response times only reinforces and underscores my complete non-reliance on them. I realize that most people aren't like me, but most people are suckers, so there's that, lol.

Regarding your statement that "police administer the law", that is indeed a Freudian slip on your part, as police are supposed to ENFORCE the law, but your description is much, much more accurate. Beatings, shootings, tortures, waterboardings, etc, are usually described as being "administered".
Ward Tipton Added May 30, 2018 - 12:20am
I wrote a story about progress one time. In the name of progress and protection, my address was changed from my name and the city I lived in, to a five line monstrosity that included a non-existent road, a non-existent ranch name and an asterisk, all in the name of progress. Their excuse was that now I could drive twenty-five miles to the payphone to call the cops and send them to my mailbox on the actual road ... which would only put them about six miles away from my home.

Suffice it to say, the local sheriff did come by for coffee from time to time, and was always welcome, but the cops never showed up in times of need.

Michael B. Added May 30, 2018 - 12:51am
Ever since 9/11/2001, it has been "open season" on our freedoms. It's a page out of the playbook of just about every insurgent movement from time immemorial; keep poking the bear until the bear starts poking back, but with a vengeance; suddenly, it's not the terrorists murdering people, it's the STATE! The main exception is that various states and state actors, getting tired of waiting for the people to poke the bear, probably because they were a little too successful at dumbing everyone down, decided to move on their own. The average nudnik will always trade freedom for security, which is exactly what the powers that be count on. If there are no "enemies", you can always count on the state to find them for you.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 30, 2018 - 1:00am

And likely erroneously thinks that bumper sticker will save he/she/it from getting a ticket.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!

Pardero Added May 30, 2018 - 1:12am
Michael B.
Your last comment was a valuable addition to the article.
Although my personal experience is much like EXPAT's, and law enforcement around here is likely to treat you like a neighbor, I am aware of bad apples and negative police culture in other parts of the country.

I took a quarter of Police Science when I was young, and about half the class were types that should never have been given a badge. The other half were the ones you actually would want in law enforcement. It is a shame that the field attracts some sadistic miscreants with chips on their shoulders.

In the late 80s, a close friend had a cop slam him face down onto his hood. He came up swinging and put the cop in the hospital. He did a year in county, and has a similar opinion of law enforcement as most here. I suppose that he and the cop both learned something from the incident.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 30, 2018 - 3:41am
He did a year in county

Goddamn! Must not have put a whippin' on that piglet. You get more time than that for a bad check in WYO.

I say if you're gonna hit a cop then go all in. After the first one the rest are free.

Stone-Eater Added May 30, 2018 - 4:31am
LOL

Here in Switzerland you can call a cop an asshole and the cop just swallows hard. He can put you in for a few hours and that's it.

I have a friend who's a cop and he's quitting. He's a pretty straight and realistic guy who has no prejudices. But he says: Hey, I like my job, but when every asshole around can insult me at the job and I can't do nuthin' I've had it. In private, such guys would get hot ears pretty fast.
Stone-Eater Added May 30, 2018 - 4:39am
BTW: It's true. We have immigrants here who insult Swiss cops with stuff like "Swiss swine, don't come near or I go to court saying I was insulted by a racist cop. Think about that !"

I fully understand the copy who quit. This is PC and multicultural society understood the wrong way.....
Michael B. Added May 30, 2018 - 8:29am
"As usual, you are in error." You really need to be standing in front of a mirror when you say stupid shit like that, you stupid-ass fucking anal dildo. Keep sucking that wooden police dick, you simpering suckass. Fuck you, asshole. Please stop stinking up my posts with your fly, flea, tick, and rat-ridden rubbish, you disgusting cockroach. I usually don't delete comments, but I think I'll make an exception for your sorry ass. You add nothing to the discussion, so go take some Geritol and hopefully die sooner than later, you slimy ass-fucked faggot.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 30, 2018 - 8:46am
Jesusfuckingchristonagoddamnfuckingcrutch that ass dildo is one obtuse fuckin' troll.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 31, 2018 - 8:28pm
Oh my! Seems the FNG's wittle bitty feewings are hurt because his attempts to troll were well and truly rejected.

So. Damn. Sad.
Michael B. Added May 31, 2018 - 10:47pm
@ GC - Hmmm...you know what? I'm going to leave that comment intact. As a matter of fact, I may even print it, lol!
Michael B. Added May 31, 2018 - 10:48pm
@ Captain Gilbert - You.Are.The.Man. Period. LOL
John Minehan Added Jun 2, 2018 - 4:48pm
"There’s really no problem on earth that cannot be solved by the proper application of gunfire and high explosives."

Gee, that's exactly what I learned from the Gunnery and Tactics & Combined Arms Department at FT Sill!
John Minehan Added Jun 2, 2018 - 4:59pm
"Too fuckin' bad. Nobody held a gun to their fuckin' head and told them they have to be a cop. I blame them. Can't stand the heat get the fuck outta the goddamn kitchen. Mutherfuckers."

But, CAPT (R) Gibson, that is not the issue.  The issue is they may sometimes raise the heat in that kitchen when there is no reason to do so.

The real question is what do we do about it?  Maybe a first step is to have a Boss admit that being in a bad Neighborhood in Albany may make a cop feel like some poor schmuck in the Welsh Guards on the Fall Road in Belfast in 1969 . . . before they are a retired LT, grad student in accounting?
Jeffry Gilbert Added Jun 2, 2018 - 10:27pm

Cops raise the heat when there's no reason to do so? Say it isn't so!!

He's not some poor schmuck he chose to be a fuckin' cop. Sorry John, no fucks given.

Who's this Gibson guy?

John Minehan Added Jun 3, 2018 - 6:16am
Sorry, "Gilbert!"  (I say that as a guy whose name no one can spell or pronounce . . . .)
Michael B. Added Jun 7, 2018 - 2:10am
Thank you all for your comments! I will try to address them, regardless of how far down this post goes in the WB waterfall!