Police Story, Part 3

Here are some instances of my own contacts with the police in my tender years:

A 15-year old girl got in a fight with her mom. Five or six cops (each with a car) showed up, and the girl wound up having her face smashed into the sidewalk as TWO cops pinned her, one with his knee at the nape of her neck.

A 17-year old boy who was in a similar situation, except that he was drunk. This time, it took FOUR cops to subdue him. Both the girl I mentioned above and this boy were about 100 lbs soaking wet, while the donut-and-other-freebie-fed cops were much, much bigger.

While breaking up a house party (in an area where nobody really gave a fuck anyway), a cop slapped a forcibly-outgoing chick on her ass, and she forcibly slapped him in his face. He punched her, and a small riot ensued. About half the police force showed up within 30 seconds. One of the parents showed up demanding to know what was going on, and they arrested her for inciting a riot.

Some neighborhood girls said a couple of transient pervs were chasing them. Just after they told us, we saw them both, and armed with a saw and a knife, we went after them. A cop cruising by suddenly lit up and stopped us. We tried to explain the situation, but the cop instead filled out white index cards on US.

Last but not least, my favorite one: The local police SWAT team raided a house that contained “gangsters”. They raided the wrong house, which not only resulted in a dead SWAT cop, but the targeted gangster made good his escape. As a further plot twist, the cop who “accidentally” gunned down his fellow cop wound up fucking the smoked cop’s wife. Coincidence?

Comments

Jeffry Gilbert Added Jun 1, 2018 - 2:32am
Have I mentioned yet today just how much I hate cops?
Flying Junior Added Jun 1, 2018 - 3:47am
Michael,

Did these enforcement contacts really occur in the 1980s and 1990s?

Your own contacts were but infractions?

I've hit with the cops at the minimum forty times.  I bear them no ill will.  I was an ornery kid and a bit of a gangster.
Michael B. Added Jun 1, 2018 - 8:16am
@ Captain Gilbert - No, you haven't...please tell me again, lol.
Michael B. Added Jun 1, 2018 - 8:17am
@ FJ - The stories I related above happened by the time  I was 10 years old. There's much, much more.
Michael B. Added Jun 1, 2018 - 9:09am
BTW FJ, it's interesting that you don't find these egregious police over-reactions to the "infractions" disturbing. You probably also have a "Support Your local Police" sticker on the back of your fucking Prius.
Stone-Eater Added Jun 1, 2018 - 9:33am
Wow. And you want to tell me that I should admire the US, Michael ? Get that fucking house in order. Problem is that SWAT teams seem to have better weapons than the ones the NRA sells in public ? ;-)
Thomas Sutrina Added Jun 1, 2018 - 10:01am
I am in my 60's and as a teenager 50 years ago I could have told you exactly what occurred (excluding the SWAT portion).  And those at the party knew exactly what was going to occur.  The problem with teenagers is that they do not have adult minds yet.  The do not automatically ask themselves before they do something, "what comes next?"   I can assure you they fully know.  How else do they drive their parents nuts.  They know!

Two parties make up a confrontation so the actions of the police have not change in those 50 years and likely haven't change in a century.  That I believe is changing because of cell phone cameras.  The police can not hid the stupid things they do.  They can not protect each other from videos that show them acting badly.  In self defense they have added car and body cameras.   But these tools only add not subtract from forcing change.

Change is happening but the police departments have a lot of momentum and ingrained practices that will take time and a constant pressure form attorneys forcing them to face their actions.

Teenagers will not change.  They still will act without asking themselves, "and what will come next?"   So far police that also know how teenagers act have been able to treat them as adults instead of the immature but adult in their bodies that they are.  The need to separate real threats from teenagers and young adults from the action of immature minds.   The girl swinging at a policeman is not an assault.  He would not make that interpretation if his daughter did the same thing.  That is the standards that need to be understood by police.  Cameras that show actions when seen by a judge that are often parents make the simplistic answer less believable.

Police departments protect the group because strength needed to be a policeman come with being a member of a group.  So change is happening and will continue to happen but before replacing an action an alternative action needs to replace it so the strength of the group is maintained.
Dino Manalis Added Jun 1, 2018 - 4:29pm
 Cops should always act professionally to gain the public's trust and respect.
Flying Junior Added Jun 2, 2018 - 2:41am
My apologies Michael.

It was careless reading.  All five accounts are very bad.

I have never been an eyewitness to police misconduct.  The worst thing I ever saw was a quick beating in jail by the guards.

Where I live, the police are most often guilty of sexual misconduct against young women.  It hasn't changed much in thirty years.
John Minehan Added Jun 2, 2018 - 9:31am
As to the last one, why am I thinking, "Success favors the prepared mind?"
John Minehan Added Jun 2, 2018 - 9:35am
The police have a tough job.  But, as I believe Antonin Scalia (!) once opined, "'A policeman's life is not a happy one.' except in a police state."
John Minehan Added Jun 2, 2018 - 9:38am
People in a Republic expect a certain level of freedom and autonomy.  They also expect a certain level of public order.  That is both why you need police and  why they are sometimes resented.
wsucram15 Added Jun 2, 2018 - 10:43am
Well MB..I have no idea what to say to this series except that where I grew up the cops were children compared to where I moved in 1988.  I watched a beat cop beat up and take money out of the wallet of a guy on a corner, when I tried to stop it the poor man waved me away.  Ive seen so many worse things since then..
Im not even a law breaker..but I promise, things are not as they appear to most of you. When you can look online and see an advice book written by cops on how NOT to be shot when unarmed, well something is wrong.  Rethink those rights you think you have as well. Thats also a fallacy if it comes to police or judicial error.  Good Luck.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Jun 2, 2018 - 3:13pm
James Travil Added Jun 2, 2018 - 9:14pm
Some pretty eye-opening stuff Michael, and I've heard much worse from both those on the left and right politically. You know it's true when they agree on something.
Michael B. Added Jun 7, 2018 - 2:08am
Thank you all for your comments! I will try to address them, regardless of how far down this post goes in the WB waterfall!