God Speed, Dr. Charles Krauthammer

September of last year (2017) I wrote an article concerning the men and women I consider my heroes (My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys).  Of the list of fifteen, only two live today.  Soon it will be one.

Today (6/8/2018), Charles Krauthammer announced that he only has weeks to live.

June 8, 2018

I have been uncharacteristically silent these past ten months. I had thought that silence would soon be coming to an end, but I’m afraid I must tell you now that fate has decided on a different course for me.

In August of last year, I underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in my abdomen. That operation was thought to have been a success, but it caused a cascade of secondary complications which I have been fighting in hospital ever since. It was a long and hard fight with many setbacks, but I was steadily, if slowly, overcoming each obstacle along the way and gradually making my way back to health.

However, recent tests have revealed that the cancer has returned. There was no sign of it as recently as a month ago, which means it is aggressive and spreading rapidly. My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live. This is the final verdict. My fight is over.

I wish to thank my doctors and caregivers, whose efforts have been magnificent. My dear friends, who have given me a lifetime of memories and whose support has sustained me through these difficult months. And all of my partners at The Washington Post, Fox News, and Crown Publishing.

Lastly, I thank my colleagues, my readers, and my viewers, who have made my career possible and given consequence to my life’s work. I believe that the pursuit of truth and right ideas through honest debate and rigorous argument is a noble undertaking. I am grateful to have played a small role in the conversations that have helped guide this

extraordinary nation’s destiny.

I leave this life with no regrets. It was a wonderful life full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living. I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended.

-- Charles Krauthammer

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In my original article, I wrote this about Dr. Krauthammer.

"Charles Krauthammer - Pulitzer Prize winning author, and the best of all political and social commentators (of which there are several I admire).  A brilliant mind and writer on a wide range of subjects; he has been a tremendous influence on my conservative (and logical) world view.  Here are two examples of general truths Krauthammer helped me to see clearly... 1) "To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil." 2) "Bush Derangement Syndrome: the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency -- nay -- the very existence of George W. Bush."... this paranoia and irrationality has been proven to be easily transferable in the liberal mind in the years that followed." -- TexasLynn, September 2017

It was in the comment section of this post that Ari Silverstein informed me... "Because you put Charles Krauthammer on your list, your list is excellent. I'm not sure if you're aware but he hasn't been on Fox News in several weeks. They say he's recovering from minor surgery but I'm very concerned it's more serious. After all, one doesn't need to recover much to be able to sit in a chair and talk."

Leroy said, "Few people realize that Charles Krauthammer is paralyzed from the neck down.  He's an inspiration to anyone who thinks they have had it bad."

Since then, I've waited, and hoped, for the return of health to my hero and his return to commentary.  Alas, "fate has decided on a different course" for this great American.

James 4:13-14 (NIV) Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

I would like to thank Dr. Krauthammer for this wonderful letter of goodbye; a message that imparts the honor and dignity of the man; a man who despite the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... carried on and "lived the life that [he] intended".

God speed, Charles Krauthammer.  Thank you, and God speed…

Comments

Dave Volek Added Jun 8, 2018 - 4:46pm
Lynn
I probably encountered this fellow in my brief visits to Foxx News just to get out of my own echo chamber. But it's hard to keep all those talking heads straight.

I found this You-tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYpuVBiMZSI

Yep, he is a wise commentator, worthy of taking seriously.

Dave Volek Added Jun 8, 2018 - 5:26pm
I got a stream Krauthammer videos that I listened to while doing other things. Yes indeed, he had good things to say.

Then the Youtube algorithm decieded I needed to hear Rush L. What a fool!
Ryan Messano Added Jun 8, 2018 - 6:47pm
What a beautiful letter he wrote.  I thought he was far too moderate for my tastes, but he was largely conservative, and he bravely dealt with the hand life dealt him.  May the God of all peace and comfort be with him, and may those he touched have their pain at losing him assuaged by the happy memory of his time on earth.  Psalms 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom"

Ecclesiastes: 7:2-4
It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.
Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
EXPAT Added Jun 8, 2018 - 10:11pm
He began as a Liberal, as many dreamers of a better world do, He first wrote for the New Republic. I was a Political Science student at the time, and an avid reader of the New Republic, and the Congressional Record, But as happens to thinkers, reality replaced dreams and he moved to the Right, as did I.
Flying Junior Added Jun 9, 2018 - 2:14am
He will be missed.  He comported himself with honor and dignity.

That set him apart from just about everyone else on the FOX TV thing.

Lynn,

You may have learned a thing or two from this distinguished American.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jun 9, 2018 - 4:08am
There is a lesson for all of us here as we try to degrade each other, not with superior argument but with personal attacks. We will all die, but as the author was known to say, when I am dead I hope it may be said my WB posts were not conforming but they were read. This is, they left a good impression.
Bill Kamps Added Jun 9, 2018 - 6:33am
An important voice we will miss.

It doesnt matter whether we agree or dont agree with someone such as Dr CK, what matters is that he has been part of the debate.   We need arguments from all sides, otherwise we go through life with blinders on seeing only what we wish to see.
Leroy Added Jun 9, 2018 - 7:24am
Only the good die young.  He will pass much too young.
John Minehan Added Jun 9, 2018 - 7:37am
As Dorothy Canfield Fisher said in her short story, The Heyday of the Blood, "Live till you die, then die and be done with it."  I hope he finds meaning and joy in whatever time he has left.
Dino Manalis Added Jun 9, 2018 - 8:00am
  Life is precious and temporary, we must always think positively to deal with problems effectively.
TexasLynn Added Jun 9, 2018 - 9:54am
All,
Thank you for your comments.  To me, he was simply a man I greatly admired and whose work I eagerly absorbed.  I offer a prayer of condolence and support for his family, to whom he was much more.

Dave,
I'm glad you exit that echo chamber every now and then; and in so doing get exposure to the wit and wisdom of Charles Krauthammer.  I tell people that Fox News is button one on my XM Radio.  NPR is number two (though I rarely receive wit or wisdom as you did) :).

I just can't handle the likes of CNN or MSNBC.  The only time I watch them is when there has been a major leftist upset election... so I can watch the enemy wail, gnash their teeth, and rend their clothing in despair.  It makes good theater and makes the popcorn taste much sweeter. :)

Ryan,
It was indeed a beautiful letter; and as one of the many it was directed to am grateful that he took some very precious time to do that.

I also appreciate your honest review of his work.  I didn't agree with his every position; but the only person I do completely agree with is me, and even then, occasionally discover I was an idiot. :)

On your comment of his life... no truer statement could be made than "he bravely dealt with the hand life dealt him".  I look at what he did and question if I could have done it.  Despair would have been my natural reaction.

I really appreciate the Bible verses... which are very appropriate in times of grief and instructive to the wise.  Solomon also said, “For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.” -- Ecclesiastes 1:18

Flying J,
Thank you for the comment.

I would give you grief over the Fox dig... but did I not do the same thing with NPR. :)

If I learned anything from this man, it is to my great benefit and joy. :)

Dr. Green,
Also, thanks for the comment and reflection on the discourse on WB and (I suspect) America.  Few of us, in our discourse, achieve such a standard as Dr. Krauthammer.

Leroy,

John M,
Dr. Krauthammer did live life to the fullest.  As he said, he had no regrets.  How many can say that in the end.  We both hope he finds meaning and joy in whatever time he has left.  From all evidence so far... he will

Dino,
As the Bible says, life is temporary as a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  It is like a puff of smoke.  If ever a man properly dealt with adversity, it was Charles Krauthammer.

Again... I wish him God speed. :)

Katharine Otto Added Jun 9, 2018 - 12:39pm
TexasLynn,
What a nice tribute.  I haven't always agreed with Dr. Krauthammer--in fact, I sometimes vehemently disagreed--but I have always read his columns.  I'm sorry to hear that he is dying.
Ryan Messano Added Jun 9, 2018 - 1:23pm

“You may be 38 years old, as I happen to be. And one day, some great opportunity stands before you and calls you to stand up for some great principle, some great issue, some great cause. And you refuse to do it because you are afraid…. You refuse to do it because you want to live longer…. You’re afraid that you will lose your job, or you are afraid that you will be criticized or that you will lose your popularity, or you’re afraid that somebody will stab you, or shoot at you or bomb your house; so you refuse to take the stand.

Well, you may go on and live until you are 90, but you’re just as dead at 38 as you would be at 90. And the cessation of breathing in your life is but the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit.”
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jun 9, 2018 - 3:17pm
Tragic. I didn't know the man. I had an aunt who had her diagnosis three weeks before her death. Devastating. RIP.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jun 9, 2018 - 4:16pm
@Ryan. "In response to Dr. Green, Martin Luther King Jr. had this to say.  I think there are many on WB who are dead while they are alive."

Very deft at your reflecting of my anachronism I would not venture to say your wise words were not informed by watching the Living Dead.

That of which you speak is emboldened in the American values. Give me Liberty or Give me death. Death Before Dishonor; Live Free or die. I am afraid that people like some of us here are the last guardians of those values and, tragically, when a new set of immigrants take over, then America dies. I will point out the fact that Blacks understood those values in that when the British were coming, Crispus Attucks met then head on and was killed. However, as a function of racism, history elevated the Paul Revere as the brave one. He rode his horse away from the battle. But to cover his cowardice, they said he shouted the British are coming during his flight to safety(. ;). Hope you understand the gist of my jest.

Leroy Added Jun 9, 2018 - 6:04pm
"As he said, he had no regrets.  How many can say that in the end."

TexasLynn Added Jun 9, 2018 - 6:52pm
KO >> What a nice tribute.

Thank you.

Admirable to read someone with whom you disagree.

KO >> I'm sorry to hear that he is dying.

Many share that sentiment... thank you for sharing as well.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

BG >> Tragic. I didn't know the man.

Nor did I, personally... but I greatly admired and read his work over the last couple of decades.

BG >> I had an aunt who had her diagnosis three weeks before her death. Devastating. RIP.

My deepest sympathies.

I'm reaching an age where I'm having to face such events more and more often.  Over the last year, I've lost a cousin, an uncle and an dear friend.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Leroy >> That bothered me a little.  Only a psychopath would have no regrets.   Mostly, it's a worn out expression, so I accept it.

I see your point.  I don't think "no regrets" necessarily equates to "I wouldn't do anything different".

I consider my overall life to have been very blessed.  I still do.  Would I say I have "no regrets"?  No.  "Few regrets"?  Maybe.  Would I do some things differently (knowing what I know now).  You're damn right I would.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This video is from Fox News, Chris Wallace commenting on Charles Krauthammer.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Jun 9, 2018 - 7:46pm
I am sorry for him and his family.  It’s a shame.  I hope they find comfort in this time of sorrow.
George N Romey Added Jun 9, 2018 - 8:00pm
EXPAT Added Jun 9, 2018 - 11:35pm
Be assured, I will avoid you or be more critical in the future.
Leroy Added Jun 10, 2018 - 9:46am
"Charles Krauthammer is 68.  Not that young by some standards, but ten years less than the average life expectancy in the U.S.  But, when such men are so full of life, any age is too young."

Not many people understand the lyrics of the song.  If he were 102, he would still die a young man.  Hitler was much too old when he left this world.  Some people can leave us soon enough.

Leroy Added Jun 10, 2018 - 9:46am
And, Lynn, please give Expat a comment.  He feels unappreciated.
TexasLynn Added Jun 10, 2018 - 9:47am
EXPAT >> You deliberately snubbed my comment. I guess you have a grudge against me. I thought of deleting my comment, but others may enjoy it.

Dammit!  Expat!  My apologies.  I don't know how I missed it. And it's one of the best comments in the entire thread too.

I do, beg your pardon and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

EXPAT >> Be assured, I will avoid you or be more critical in the future.

Hopefully my sincere apology will dilute your response in this matter.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

EXPAT >> Yes. His whole life was a profile in courage! He overcame adversity that would have laid most men low.

Yes.  He is a perfect example of a man who overcame tragedy and accomplished great things in his life.

EXPAT >> He began as a Liberal, as many dreamers of a better world do, He first wrote for the New Republic. I was a Political Science student at the time, and an avid reader of the New Republic, and the Congressional Record,

Yes!  Fewer people know this than knew that he was paralyzed.  He also worked for the Jimmy Carter administration.

EXPAT >> But as happens to thinkers, reality replaced dreams and he moved to the Right, as did I.

I remember an interview with Dr. Krauthammer in which this fact was brought up.  The interviewer asked what happened.  How did he transition from liberal to conservative?

If I remember correctly, his answer was only two words.  "Empirical evidence."

Glad you came to your senses as well.

I would never falsely claim that I was ever on the left, though I did become much more conservative after college.  A liberal friend (still in college) asked me why?

My answer?  I got a job, I started paying taxes, My car was stolen...

EXPAT >> It doesn't matter what labels you apply, his clarity of thought amazed most commentators. He had a way of getting to the heart of an issue, so that delusion had no chance to survive.

Amen.  He would leave his peer stammering. :)  Especially on the left, but even on the right.  I can't remember the number of times I've laughed out loud from one of his comments.

EXPAT >> The current crop of talking heads, are a great disappointment. Charles leaves a vacuum that will not be filled in the foreseeable future.

As with any profession, there are various levels of talent.  BUT when the best of the best exits, one can't help but notice the vacuum.

He will be missed.

Thanks for the comment... Sorry for the oversight.
TexasLynn Added Jun 10, 2018 - 9:49am
JK >> I am sorry for him and his family.  It’s a shame.  I hope they find comfort in this time of sorrow.

We all do.  I know you would have agreed with many of his views.  It's good to know we can set such aside in sympathy

GR >> I’ve always enjoyed him. He was the voice of reason. Very sad. I hope he’s not in deep pain,

Glad to hear he reached so many people and that you were one of them.  He was indeed a voice of reason.

I too hope he's is not in deep pain.  I recently had to watch someone I cared for go through the final stages of cancer who was in great pain.  I would not wish that upon anyone.
EXPAT Added Jun 10, 2018 - 9:39pm
TexasLynn.
It is good to know it was just an oversight, as I enjoy much of your commentary. Glad you agree with my comment.
I look forward to civil discourse and argumentation with you in the future.
Ari Silverstein Added Jun 11, 2018 - 8:44am
Thanks for the shout-out.

One of the things I liked most about Krauthammer is that he was a true free market, less-government conservative.  He was never much interested in starting trade wars or becoming a hard-liner on immigration.  I feel like every top conservative analyst and politician today supports tougher immigration rules and more protectionism.  With Krauthammer around to keep those voices in check, I fear for Republicans and what they’ll become.  Trump, while far better than Clinton, is perhaps the beginning of the end of Republicans as we know them.  If Krauthammer had lived a little longer I feel like he could have steered them away from the rabbit hole they appear to be going down.
Thomas Sutrina Added Jun 11, 2018 - 9:29am
Dr Charles Krauthammer born in 1950.  "Injured in a diving board accident during his first year of medical school. He sustained injuries that left him paralyzed below the neck" (1972).   The biggest lesson he teaches is persistence.   The ability to accept what is reality and then despite it move forward although a more difficult path.

His body of work speeches to what can be achieved.   The measure of a person is not in his successes but how they handle failure.  We then to pick leaders only on their successes.  They convince us of their ability to lead us by presenting successes or visions o success.  Where what we should be learning is their response to failure.
William Stockton Added Jun 11, 2018 - 2:14pm
A paralyzed person requires a team of skilled people to support them every day.

The reality is that a paralyzed person, to have risen to the level of politics that he had, must have had some incredible and loving people supporting him all this time.
Who are these unsung heroes?  I'd say these are the real heroes yet Krauthammer acknowledged them in only one sentence in his finale.

TexasLynn Added Jun 11, 2018 - 8:03pm
Ari >> One of the things I liked most about Krauthammer is that he was a true free market, less-government conservative.

I would like to think I am a firm believer in those two conservative principles; though I may not measure up to his (and your) standards.  I will continue to advocate for both.

Ari >> He was never much interested in starting trade wars or becoming a hard-liner on immigration.

I will admit that I believe there are issues to be addressed concerning both.  Intellectual property routinely stolen by the Chinese for one.  I also firmly believe that immigration is a must if we are going to thrive as a nation... BUT we need absolute (or as close as possible) control of our borders and immigration should be revamped to invite those who desire to assimilate and contribute.

Ari >> I feel like every top conservative analyst and politician today supports tougher immigration rules

If what I described above is tougher immigration rules, then I would be one of them.  If these are reasonable, then I'm a firm supporter of immigration.

Ari >> ... and more protectionism.

There are issues... but protectionism is not the answer.

Ari >> With Krauthammer around to keep those voices in check, I fear for Republicans and what they’ll become.  Trump, while far better than Clinton, is perhaps the beginning of the end of Republicans as we know them.

If you have read much of my writing... I've often said, the GOP is and never will be part of the solution.  The Democrats are taking us straight to hell at a dead run, every now and then we elect a Republican who slows us down to a trot.

A pox on both their houses.

Ari >> If Krauthammer had lived a little longer I feel like he could have steered them away from the rabbit hole they appear to be going down.

Krauthammer is a great man, but I doubt even he could do that... but I would have enjoyed watching him try. :)

Thanks for the comment.
TexasLynn Added Jun 11, 2018 - 8:04pm
Thomas >> Dr Charles Krauthammer born in 1950.  "Injured in a diving board accident during his first year of medical school. He sustained injuries that left him paralyzed below the neck" (1972).   The biggest lesson he teaches is persistence.   The ability to accept what is reality and then despite it move forward although a more difficult path.

Yes, his persistence is an example to us all; a great factor in my admiration.

Thomas >> His body of work [speaks] to what can be achieved.   The measure of a person is not in his successes but how they handle failure.

Wow... very good observation.  I've always said it's not important that a man makes mistakes, because all men will, but what is important is what he does after he makes a mistake.  I guess that goes for what a man does when he suffers adversity as well.

Thomas >> We then to pick leaders only on their successes.  They convince us of their ability to lead us by presenting successes or visions of success.  Where what we should be learning is their response to failure.

Amen... but in this day and age (of character assassination); we'll never see those days again... if we ever did.

Thanks for the contribution.
TexasLynn Added Jun 11, 2018 - 8:04pm
William S. >> A paralyzed person requires a team of skilled people to support them every day.

I can only imagine, though I have no first-hand knowledge; a childhood friend of my brothers was paralyzed similarly when she was in college.  I know she requires someone to be with her almost 24/7.  I also know she is one of the most active and generous of Christian women.  Despite everything, there is joy in her heart.

Willam S. >> The reality is that a paralyzed person, to have risen to the level of politics that he had, must have had some incredible and loving people supporting him all this time. Who are these unsung heroes?  I'd say these are the real heroes yet Krauthammer acknowledged them in only one sentence in his finale.

Who can say this last letter was the forum he chose to thank these people.  I suspect he has done that in more private and personal correspondence.

I read his last book, "Things That Matter", and it was rife with such acknowledgment.  I remember in the chapter where he described his accident and the aftermath of that, he recounts how faculty and friends bent over backwards to allow him (and goad him) to continue and complete his education.  His depiction of those that rallied around him was very inspiring. :)

Thanks for the comment and bringing the other heroes of this story to light.
William Stockton Added Jun 11, 2018 - 8:33pm
I suspect he has done that in more private and personal correspondence.

Since he is a public personality, keeping that information private is dubious at best.  Thankless and selfish at worst.

Krauthammer has consistently reminded me of the Old Republican Guard.  They served their time in a cold-war era but never adapted to politics post the fall of the wall.  Since they could not adapt, these guys were the do-gooders while doing-nothing.

Without mission or conviction, they rolled over to the "party of social virtue" (the left).  They apologized for their religion, their sex, their sexual orientation, and their freedom.  While they were being pleasant, agreeable, and charming in the spotlight, Rome was beginning to burn at their feet.  Enter Trump today . . . who, by the way, Krauthammer consistently said was not presidential material and predicted would never be president.

Krauthammer had a lot of time to think but was not an original thinker.  Of course, all this my opinion in having to endure far too many of his cringe-worthy Foxnews commentaries.
Ari Silverstein Added Jun 12, 2018 - 6:02pm
TexasLynn: The immigration debate revolves around what to do with the illegals already here.  Every other immigrant group is mostly noise.  Krauthammer advocated for the border to be enforced but he never advocated for half the stuff Trump and other prominent conservatives wish to do to the illegals already here or their employers.

William: Normally I could give too shits about what you have to say, but your little dig at Krauthammer was unnecessary, mean and totally ridiculous.  The man is about to die  and wrote as gracious a farewell letter one could write, show a little respect.
TexasLynn Added Jun 12, 2018 - 11:29pm
Ari S >> The immigration debate revolves around what to do with the illegals already here.  Every other immigrant group is mostly noise.

I do agree that those here already are a key detail; but disagree that the vetting of those we currently allow in is mostly noise.  That process needs to be completely overhauled and should be part of any deal reached.

I wrote a post concerning immigration and caught hell from both sides (left and right)... so maybe I was on to something.

Ari S >> Krauthammer advocated for the border to be enforced but he never advocated for half the stuff Trump and other prominent conservatives wish to do to the illegals already here or their employers.

You would have to be more specific.  It's hard to know what the propose and what people say they propose.  If you listen to a lot of leftist here on WB you would think there are shoot-to-kill orders.

Feel free to see if I'm in the ballpark... A Comprehensive Immigration Compromise

Ari S >> As for free trade, Krauthammer never would support increased tariffs on foreign products for the benefit of steelworkers in swing states.  That’s called crony capitalism and he would find it deplorable.

Granted... policy should not be protectionist; but governments subsidizing their steel industry or dumping steel is not free trade.  There are nations doing that and it needs to stop.  There are also nations not doing that and being treated as if they are.

I do appreciate your positions and those of Dr. Krauthammer.  We're probably closer than we are apart.
William Stockton Added Jun 13, 2018 - 1:14am
but your little dig at Krauthammer was unnecessary, mean and totally ridiculous

Ari, sorry about that.  I wasn't trying to be mean.  Just speaking my opinion based on the limited info I know about the man.
If I actually knew Krauthammer two things would be different:
1)  Yes, I might owe him some additional respect in his approach to eternity . . . and still more after his departure.
2) I would probably know more about his character.  More context.

But I don't know him personally so I could be one hundred percent wrong.
Ari Silverstein Added Jun 13, 2018 - 8:47am
TexasLynn: Let’s keep it simple and focus on the widening trade war/dispute.  Even if it were true that foreign countries were subsiding their companies, it would not be something worthy of retaliation.  First, it allows most of us to live a higher quality of life when foreign governments subsidize our consumption.  Second, when you start peeling the subsidy onion, I trust you’ll discover we subsidize our businesses too.

William: Whether or not you knew of how great Krauthammer is/was has no bearing on my comment to you.  Having said that, I think you would benefit greatly if you read some of his past work or watched a few past episodes of Special Report.  He was a regular fixture on the show at 6:40pm.  He was also a regular fixture on Inside Washington.
TexasLynn Added Jun 13, 2018 - 1:45pm
Ari >> Let’s keep it simple and focus on the widening trade war/dispute.

Sure... with the G7 that seems to be the hot-button issue for now anyway.

Ari >> Even if it were true that foreign countries were subsiding their companies, it would not be something worthy of retaliation.

That depend on the "retaliation"; I think we could easily overreact, but I also think we have a responsibility to ensure our citizen workers are not competing against a stacked deck.  I'm a firm believer in the free market... but free equals an even playing field... equal opportunity in competition.

Ari >> First, it allows most of us to live a higher quality of life when foreign governments subsidize our consumption.

Agreed... in the short term.  BUT... The subsidizing isn't out of the goodness of their heart for our wellbeing.  The purpose... the long-term purpose is to drive our producers out of business and THEN screw us.  When it comes to business and markets we should take the long-term view.

Ari >> Second, when you start peeling the subsidy onion, I trust you’ll discover we subsidize our businesses too.

Absolutely...we do that.  Peel it anyway.  I have repeatedly advocated for getting rid of all our subsidies to any and all products/businesses.  Our trading partners demanding that we be fair is as good a reason to do that as any.

Think of the billions we would save to rid ourselves subsidies to green energy, ethanol, agribusiness… I’m sure the list is pages and pages long.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I will add this to the discussion.  Some commodities (steel and food for example) are of such importance that they become issues of national security. Such things, we should not depend upon any nation for; because if we can't provide them ourselves we would be in trouble during times of war.

Thanks for the discussion.  Hopefully Charles would be proud. :)
Ari Silverstein Added Jun 13, 2018 - 3:34pm
I’m sorry but I don’t think Krauthammer would be proud of the position you’re taking on trade.  After all, I never once heard him argue for increased tariffs and you do.  It doesn’t matter if you perceive those tariffs to be justified or retaliatory, he simply never thought it was smart economic policy to increase our cost of living by raising the price of foreign goods.

You said a bunch just now and I disagree with almost all of it.  Let’s get the low-hanging fruit out of the way, steel and agriculture are not industries which need protection from the standpoint of national security. You might as well ban all foreign goods on the grounds of national security if you think they qualify.  I should also remind you that are country is vast and has the resources to manufacture just about everything we buy if need be.  However, so long as another country can produce the good or service cheaper, it behooves us to buy it from elsewhere.  You should pick up an economics textbook and flip to the chapter on comparative advantage.
Katharine Otto Added Jun 14, 2018 - 11:50am
TexasLynn,

Just now getting back to respond to your response.

"KO >> I haven't always agreed with Dr. Krauthammer--in fact, I sometimes vehemently disagreed--but I have always read his columns.

Admirable to read someone with whom you disagree."

It occurs to me that if I limited myself to reading only those I agree with, I wouldn't read anything except my own writing, and precious little of that.  My views are constantly changing, or evolving, thanks to a desire to understand how other people think.
Leroy Added Jun 21, 2018 - 8:41pm