Music in the DNA

Recently, I had an interaction with Pardero where I sent him a link to

The Dude in a bowling alley  with Dead Flowers being played by Townes Van Zandt. He  responded with a link of Townes doing a live rendition  of his If I Needed You.  During the interaction Dave Volek expressed his appreciation of Townes.   I took a few minutes off of work to listen and enjoy and I realized my goosebumps were not just because of the music, but also because of a form of human communication, something that I treasure. Afterwards there were some interesting discussion of music on one of opher’s recent posts.

My father couldnt hear a teapot whistling on the stove due to too many artillary shells in the Army. Anyway, i never saw him tap his feet. But my mother was of Austrian descent, Austrian immigrants to the town of Leadville Colorado in the early 1900s . If you know of Baby Doe Tabor, my mother remembered  seeing that poor wretch as a child.

My Austrian grandmother played the accordian and knew how to have fun. When I was young we had an old Grundig console stereo and my mother would buy records for it. We had Tennessee Ernie Ford sings Songs of The North and also his Songs of the South. At the age of 6  was when my brother took a Lays potato chip can, the size of  5 gallon can, and started playing it with chopsticks.  He took a brass bowl and loaded it up with beebees for a cymbal. Later my mother brought home Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads and at the young age of 12 or 13 my brother and I were doing acapella from that album. I can sing Strawberry Roan today -it is embedded in my neuromuscular system.  She brought home Jonny Cash’s Ring of Fire and There was a Song. Later she brought home Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin. She took us to see Buddy Guy and Junior Wells at the Cherry Festival in DC when we were 12. Eventually,  we found other conspirators and started doing tunes acapella from Frank Zappa’s We’re Only In it for the Money album.  Funny, Michael B. just discovered Jazz and Zappa. Im sure I dont have the words right but here is what I recall from  Lets Make the Water Turn Black

Donald save his numies on a corner in the shelf, a marvel to be seen, dysentery green.

And Ronny’s in the Army and Kenny’s taking pills, oh how they yearn to see a bomber burn

and all of the while on a shelf in the shed, Kenny’s little creatures on display.

You see them after school in a world of their own, to some it might seem creepy what they do

The neighbors on the right sat and watched them ever night

I bet youd do the same if they were you!

Coming out of the  house of a battalion commander in the MeKong delta in 1967, this one made my mother grimace.

My brother grew up to be a professional drummer and I a non professional singer/guitar player. He got tired of rock and roll, he did not go for the drugs and alcohol thing, and while he was playing rock in San Francisco in the early 70 switched over to Conga Drums, in a big way. He has been to Haiti twice, the Congo, and to Ghana all to learn chops from the old teachers. Hearing him play is quite an experience. For those who are receptive has the ability to transport you and a magnificent way, and this is part of the subject of this post.  Recently he has started to learn Gaelic and has been reading Celtic history and other history of the Isles. He also plays drum in a local Scottish Drum and Fife group.

When I told him that  I found Turkish bagpipe players near the Black Sea, he told me that evidently, they come from Jordan.  Here  Kıazım Koyuncu a famous  ethnic Laz Kiazim Koyuncu with a fine example. Evidently,  Jordan highly prizes its bagpipe corps and its music. (While we are in Turkey, check out

kolbastı to watch those oppressed muslim women get down=

He recently sent me a copy of Saxon's Vıkıngs and Celts by Bryan Sykes. It is about using DNA testing to do human archeology.  This started me to thinking about Celtic DNA and music.  I am quite aware of the influence of Irish immigrants on American music.

It is clear that we have many people that appreciate music on WB and even some who are professional musicians, so now to the punchline. Often  Mrs. Kemal and I  have a couple over to our little cabin in Northern New Mexico for a few drinks and some chit chat; my bird watching buddy for some 30 years now and his wife. She is of nothern new mexico spanish descent, through the Vigil line from northeastern NM near the town of Clayton. High, cold, windy. So cold it is one of the only places in NM you can see a rough legged hawk. However, she is a red head with the complexion to match. Where I live, the red headed spanish are often said to be crypto jews, of which there are many about.  Their existence here is well documented. And when they live on Shalom lane, well….

My buddy, like my father, could care less about music, but she likes it  and one time I went in to where the stereo was and put on Rox in the Box; she came running into the room, her face lit up and she started to do a jig.  The smile on her face and the rush to dance and move! She was in a rapture, especially when it came to the line

While were living here, lets get something clear

There’s plenty men to die, dont jump your turn

We danced together and it has had a lasting impression on me. Ive known her some 30 years and Ive never seen her like that. So, when Pardero and I had this Van Zandt moment it took me to this and other such experiences.  Another form of profound human communication, without words.

What is it with music that can send  some of us in time and space travel, connecting with the ancient struggles and joys of humans throughout time? A form of communication more profound than any words could ever facilitate.

I asked my brother this question and he said  “thats just the way it is bro, its in our genetic code”

Does anyone else here have similar experiences?

Mustafa

Comments

Ryan Messano Added Jun 19, 2018 - 6:20pm
"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
Plato.
Ryan Messano Added Jun 19, 2018 - 6:20pm
Bread and circuses is how the Roman Republic was destroyed.
Luther Wu Added Jun 19, 2018 - 6:37pm
Twenny dollah bill boy will set you straight
Luther Wu Added Jun 19, 2018 - 7:37pm
Mustafa.
Some years ago, I stopped off in Stillwater, to visit a friend. We sat around having a good talk. Neither said much.
I told him I'd just made the run up to Marble and had come home with some good possibilities. Didn't have to tell him it was a ramblin' road trip on the way up. Of course the truck was too heavy for much indulgence on the way back. After a bit, he looked over and just said, "You made it to Clayton". Like there wasn't any other possibility.
After a while, I said, "Couldn't keep from it".

Jeff Michka Added Jun 19, 2018 - 9:01pm
Only a scumbag like Ryan would take the joy and satisfaction out of music, proving, without a doubt, Ryan has no soul.  Townes van Zandt was a real interesting musician, innvovative and unpretentious on stage and in the studio.
Ryan Messano Added Jun 19, 2018 - 9:10pm
Music has kept you deluded for so long, Michka.  Don't let me interfere with your fairy tale world.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 19, 2018 - 9:20pm
At least it's a talented and pleasant world, as opposed to the miserable hell you live for.  Of course, to you music is evil.  Bet even Vinny has to listen to bible readings to get you two romantic, evenings.  As said, and despite your claims, you are a soulless turd, Messianic.  Music was a good business to be in for many years, insurance man...LOL
Ryan Messano Added Jun 19, 2018 - 9:28pm
Yup, truth and reality are mighty frightening to your type. Ignorance is bliss.  And you are off on your vulgarity and lies again.  Very sad.  You sure do know how to end a conversation.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 19, 2018 - 9:29pm
nd, unlike dealing with your hatreds, music is actually still fun, requiring the musician to be a professional even when playing with amateurs.
Pardero Added Jun 20, 2018 - 2:18am
Mustafa Kemal,
Thanks for the mention.
You are a philosopher, and one who stops to smell the roses. This may be your most charming article. Your joie de vivre is infectious!

Here is a tiny tidbit of trivia. The German settlers of Appalachia brought their scheitholt musical instruments, a simple zither, that dates back to the Middle Ages. It is likely that they played solemn melodies and hymns in the key of C.

Their neighbors, the Irish, took to the instrument, modifying the shape, and played lively jigs and reels in the key of D. Some call that instrument, a mountain dulcimer, or a lap dulcimer. I wouldn't be surprised if Ward Tipton, MEFOBILLS, and Mark Hunter were familiar with them.

All the Scandinavian countries have a counterpart, though with more strings. Eventually, the scheitholt was highly refined, and with the addition of many more strings, would become the konzertzither and Alpine zither.

Years ago, I had a luthier build me a small instrument, very much like an ancient scheitholt, though on the compact side. I might even be able to manage Rock of Ages, Amazing Grace, or even A Bicycle Built For Two, though without embellishments.

We had much the same music at our house, with the addition of Trini Lopez, Peter, Paul, and Mary, The Irish Rovers, Mario Lanza, and of course, Mama's church hymns.

wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 6:23am
ok Ryan..on this you are outvoted. Even the Bible, especially the Psalms mention music in a positive way.  You choose to make it negative. Which is again judgemental and wrong.
Now you need to think about this..music is in every sound you hear.
Its sound..usually to present a harmony but can be anything really.
Such as a bird, a cricket, a rainstick, the ocean, trees, noises babies make mimicking us.
Its sad you look at music as a bad thing..you are missing quite a bit of life.

wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 6:51am
Mustafa..I cant remember my exact musical epiphany. I remember hearing as a young kid on a bus with my mom "these boots are made for walking" or a song I liked called "Your making me dizzy".  Now remember, my parents listened to Perry Como and Dean Martin.
My sister came to visit us and played the Beatles for me and I am not sure that was the exact moment, but thats when I decided my instrument, much to my parents dismay.
It could have been my Grandmother and her Mamas and Papas, 5th Dimension or Johnny Cash.  For some reason, I liked Johnny Cash...much better than Perry Como.
It could have been listening to Floyd Dark Side of the Moon or Black sabbath for the first time smoking my brothers hidden weed for the first time.
But I think my moment came when i walked into a dive on Bowery in NYC that my cousin told me about.  I dont think I was ever the same after that. Live bands, shows and I lived there every summer as much as I could and never stopped going to concerts.
Ive had plenty of awesome moments since then..but those are the ones that stand out as the  this is what I am supposed to be doing...moments.
wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 6:55am
Dino Manalis Added Jun 20, 2018 - 8:41am
 Music energizes us!
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:01am
Luther, thanks for the Clayton story! Interesting.

re"Have you ever been rolling along with a tune in your head and you turn on the radio and..."

Indeed, still happens to this day, but I dont suppose its strange for those of us who spend alot of time rolling along "with a tune in our head"
Mustafa
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:06am
Jeff,
re:"music is actually still fun, "
you sound like  a player.

I can take that further. After 30 years I had to give up guitar, for the arm just wasnt gonna have it any more. Talk about pain of loss. After dabbling with the harmonica,  I have moved on to a Turkish flute, a ney.  So, in a strange way it is a blessing. At this old age to see music with a fresh eye and new sound.

Mustafa

Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:16am
Pardero,
re"I have been on the road, and am running out of steam. I am not sure if I could respond fully in kind, even on a full tank!"

even you, when one short of a six pack, can put a smile on ones face.

Thanks for that very interesting Zither story. I didnt know the Irish got em from the Germans.

Interesting that you had one built. What brought that about?

Funny you mention Amazing Grace. When I was a wee lad I got a duo together with a wee clarinet player. We presented to class our rendition of Swing Lo Sweet Chariot. To wild applause of course.
After school we went home, put our instruments away, and went fishing together.

Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:35am
wsucram15,
thank you for that account. It sounds different, but feels not. It appears maybe we have similar dna.

“But I think my moment came when i walked into a dive on Bowery in NYC that my cousin told me about.  I dont think I was ever the same after that.”:
I used to go down there in the early eighties, sometimes up to McSorley’s tavern for a beer. But my favorite was Dan Lynch’s at 12th street and I think 2nd avenue.  I was a poor student then so I would buy one heinecken and listen to the blues all night on that one beer. And some of that blues was exceptional. I was especially fond of the Holmes Brothers.

“Oh here is one..the day I figured out how Bonham (by ear) played some of his tricky sounds and I replicated them.  The day I saw him play live. The day I passed that knowledge on to someone else.”

Drums it is! Your parents must have been delighted, LOL.  And that is another form of communication, when you can pass it on. How lovely.

But as for this
“Such as a bird, a cricket,”

indeed,  or the sound of children laughing.

Mustafa

Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:36am
Dino,
re:"Music energizes us!"
Indeed it does.

Mustafa
Stone-Eater Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:44am
Mustafa

Great stuff. But I'm not sure about the DNA. I have a good feeling for rhythm, I play guitar, bass and piano, but nobody in my family had an ear for music, except my grandmother who played the "harmonium", kind of a piano you had in the 19th century.

But I was exposed to music since early childhood although my parents or other members of the family never had that passion for it. They listened to music allright but never played an instrument.

And my friends in Switzerland tell me anyway that I've become a half-African after all these years LOL
Stone-Eater Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:48am
BTW: I never played drums, although, like, everybody who ever played in a band can play some stuff on other instruments. So I can play a 4/4 on drums but that's about it. No special breaks or so. But music IS not only music for me. Music is a "foto album". Means like I hear a song and it reminds me of an event of the past. Livelier than a photo. And since I have a bad eyesight ever since, I have hundreds of "song photos" in my mind ;-)
Stone-Eater Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:52am
BTW2: What I learned though in Africa was to play the Djembé. I had a friend in Mali who still fabricates them in Bamako for local sale and he sold me one 20 years ago. And on that one I've become quite good. Why ? Because I had a lot of spare time LOL
Dave Volek Added Jun 20, 2018 - 11:51am
My grandfather brought his family from Slovakia in 1936. His plan was to make a lot of money, then return to the old country and work his farmland in some degree of comfort.

It took him 29 years before he afford a ticket back. And the land was confiscated into a collective farm.

During his three trips back to visit relatives, he was always under watch of some communist spy. And he was obligated to buy a few things as part of his visa obligations. One trip he brought back a few cassettes of Slovak party music, with all the old traditional songs. I remember feeling that music was part of me, even though I did not understand it.

Pardero Added Jun 20, 2018 - 12:12pm
wsucram15,
I got in late last night. The radio in the shop was playing Nancy Sinatra's Boots.
I remember Dizzy well, and have Tommy Roe's greatest hits, which includes my favorite, Sweet Pea.
 Dizzy my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool it never ends
And it's you girl
that's making it spin
You're making me dizzy
Tommy Roe
Stone-Eater Added Jun 20, 2018 - 12:14pm
Dizzy ?

That was 1969 if I remember. I was 11. :ö)
wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 4:43pm
Yeah..music is like my photo album. I remember people literally by the music  they introduced me to, visa versa or we saw live together.  Sometimes, I even remember their names. lol...jk
"Dizzy" yeah SEF,  I was 9..and left Baltimore shortly thereafter. I listened to it on a jukebox at a bar my dad hung out at.  My mother was never thrilled by his choice of entertainment.

wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 4:44pm
Mustafa..of course. Its a thing, the blues and jazz.
Cant have music without them.
Pardero Added Jun 20, 2018 - 4:49pm
I remember a girl in junior high school, who was holding some Tommy Roe records under her arm. Nearly 10 years later, I remember a girl with Cheap Trick records under her arm. Surrender, that was a good song.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:14pm
In a recent documentary, Kieth Richards talked about running into Mick Jagger on a bus, and like Pard's story, Jagger had a Little Richard and a Muddy Waters LP tucked under his arm, and Kieth had  his first Rolling Stones "Ah ha!" moment.  Music in our lives is so meaningful and powerful, despite Ryan ravings.  wsucram15 nails it once again replying to  Mustafa:   "its a thing, the blues and jazz.  Can't have music without them."  Rhearsing with some people that are neighbors first, band members second, learning covers, it always come back to basic jazz and blues, even trying to cover Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin.  The sound guy got some echo delay effects together, so if I can't sound completely like Robert Plant can now do a respectable Plant scream.  Talking with organizers, and with their blessing, connect and help, Bob's Birthday Bash 2018, might well be aired live on YouTube, in which case will you all know.  Then you can actually see and hear me stumble through this...LOL.
wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:17pm
Pardero..
Cheap Trick, awesome band much better live. I remember them well.
Pardero Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:26pm
wsucram15,
They are still playing small venues. I have seen few bands live, but hope to catch Cheap Trick one of these days.

That band reminds me of a lot of good times.
wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:28pm
Jeff
It always comes back to the basics. the Stones best stuff was recorded in a two bit recording studio in alabama and a basement for the bluesy raw sound.   In fact many artists do that, it feels right, because it is.  The groove is a thing we all know but began I believe in blues.

Pardero Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:28pm
Jeff Michka,
Please keep us posted on your activities. I look forward to seeing you performing!
Jeff Michka Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:37pm
Blues were Led Zeppelins "roots"  Plant has expounded that a lot.  Zep stole a whole lot of blues, but it's too classic a progression to dislike them for emulating blues greats.  Will agree on the 'raw" part of it, and I've recently realized how important that "raw" element is in a performance.  I guess you could call us, "two bit."  Although all "lifer" players, its been awhile for any of us playing in an act expected to entertain more than just ourselves. That's really a LOL at this point, but we'll see.  Thanks, Pard.  will do.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:55pm
wsucram15,
re:"the Stones best stuff was recorded in a two bit recording studio in alabama and a basement for the bluesy raw sound. "

If you havent seen  Muscle Shoals I highly recommend it. There is a scene in there with Keith Richards listening to their just cut version of Wild horses that just sends me. High tide and Green Grass is my favorite Stone's album,

Arthur Alexander sends me also

Mustafa
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:56pm
All, I sure look forward to seeing Jeff
"stumble through this"

Pardero Added Jun 20, 2018 - 5:59pm
Mustafa,
I wanted to make music. I bought a banjo, but had trouble getting some rolls down, due to lack of dexterity and ham fists.
I decided that a 3 stringed diatonic instrument was for me! I can select the melody note with a 'noter' stick, and the other 2 are drones. About as easy as it gets.

I am still hoping to make some headway with my concertina, but it may have to wait until retirement, with this job, which isn't conducive to thinking of higher things.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 20, 2018 - 6:08pm
Pardero,
re;"I wanted to make music. "
I definitely understand that.

Heres to you getting yourself into something more conducive to "thinking of higher things"

Mustafa
Luther Wu Added Jun 20, 2018 - 6:13pm
Don't think I've ever heard Muscle Shoals referred to as two- bit, before. Pretty sure there's a reason for that.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 20, 2018 - 6:34pm
LOL, Luther...and Shoals has one of the best drum booths on the face of the earth, too.  Wonderful rooms, and think Shoals started at about $1000 per hour, so not "two bit."  I've had a couple of studios like that.  Been in a bunch, too.
wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 7:58pm
ahhhh thank God, someone that knows Muscle Shoals on here besides me.   But I do love that you think you got me..Luther. lol
Jeff..you know better...come on.

But the original studio was closed in 1979 then sold and the Neve boards sold off to company's on east and west coast in 2005 when the Alabama studio closed. The remaining equipment is on display as a historical monument and apparently gets more visitors than any other attraction in the area.  You can rent the space if you can afford it, but must bring your own recording  gear.  Black Keys recorded "brothers" there and like most bands had it mixed at a major studio.

The man behind that sound is dead.  Like the guy who got the roadie for Lynyrd Skynyrd to actually play the piano piece for the band he was tinkering with in the studio as the intro to Freebird.
or got aretha to losen up and actually sing away from her normal people who werent all white country boys.  It was a make or break moment for her.  There is a big story behind this recording and MS studios in particular.

However I have been in production on quite a bit of recording in many studios from Cleveland to NY. Never been there though.  Way back in the latter 70s and not so long ago with my son.  The bands record in good studios near them and have it sent to the larger NY or LA studios for mixing now.  Saves thousands of dollars on their bottom line.  Only Large bands, some labels and even some smaller bands looking for specific sounds willing to pay for it..record and mix in these large studios.  Its why some of the studios are having a hard time.

I begged and begged Dave Grohl to do a piece on it if he did another Sonic Hwys.  But I heard if that happens at all, he is going to do mostly European sites.
I appreciate M.S.  though..it has a specific sound I love even if its not the original studio you are thinking of in Sheffield AL.
wsucram15 Added Jun 20, 2018 - 8:12pm
On the "two-bit" quote..that was Rick Halls reference, not mine.  but at least someone picked up on it..
Luther Wu Added Jun 20, 2018 - 8:41pm
That Bowery dive you talked about, the joint wouldn't happen to be known some way for country and blue grass and blues, now would it?
Luther Wu Added Jun 20, 2018 - 8:57pm
Ps wsu*.*    yer a blasted mindreader. I sure was thinking what in the world is she talking about? My son's a big fan of Dave Grohl and he'll get a kick when i tell  him about you talking about him.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 20, 2018 - 9:03pm
Well folks, we'll see how this unfolds...B'day Bash is end of August, last weekend, and when streaming was mentioned they chuckled, There's another "traditional B'day Bash" band, Bob'sson's act.  These guys are pretty good and have played almost the whole Doors catalogue, they'll play after...we're opening act along with the 50 drum, drumline on Latin percussion.  "Why do you come to the land of the Zulus?" or to point "Why do you come to the land of Bob?" LOL
Stone-Eater Added Jun 21, 2018 - 12:55am
Jeff

Just give us a sign when it's on the net :)
Ric Wells Added Jun 21, 2018 - 1:22pm
Mustafa there might be something to the DNA thing. When my Mom was young she was a singer. She lived in a small town in upstate New York and when the big bands came through if they needed a singer she got the call. We're talking The Dorseys., Woody Herman, Benny Goodman etc. From what I heard she was good. Had to be to sing with those headliners. Now I come from a family of 6 kids. Older sister nothing. Me I've been told above average guitar player and on a scale of 1 to 10 singing wise probably a six. Younger sister. Singer. Jazz. Toured the world as the understudy for Carmen Mcrae stopped ecause life on the road was hard. Married a Jazz pianist composer professor who tours with Michael McDonald among others. Younger brother taught himself banjo, fiddle and piano. Entered the state amateur contest in Texas for banjo an placed in top 5. Another younger brother Guitar player and singer has been in bands duets and solo. So maybe there's something in genetic make that predisposes music as an appreciation or a talent.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 21, 2018 - 7:03pm
I will keep WBers informed on the streaming of performance.  Wrtst case, it will give Ryan something to sneer at.  LOL And, thanks for the update on Muscle Shoals, and appreciate Mustafa's link to that documentary on Shoals.  I knew you had a bunch of studio/production time under your belt, wscram15.  Most f my time in studio and production rooms was to produce commercials.  Actually, fairly profitable work, and loved working production stuff.  $200 fee per hour for producing a jingle, commercial audio sweetening, etc. brought cash in when music or radio work didn't.  And I kinda agree with SEFa on music DNA, despite Ric's story, think even in musical families, it's the exposure at early ages to the biz and music that helps form that ear and core of a musician.  It still take practice, dedication and experience, and where I disagree with SEFa, education.
Ric Wells Added Jun 21, 2018 - 7:36pm
Jeff I won't disagree but maybe it's that exposure that unlocks something within the genetic code of a human that uncorks whatever talent is there. Then you get into practice dedication and experience which is a form of education.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 21, 2018 - 9:49pm
Mustafa:  Sorry to hear a physical condition curtailed playing the guitar.  That sort of thing is always a tough one.  Yeah, still at it after all these years and have really enjoyed playing with a bunch of folks that are neighbors, for a bunch of reasons.  I'm thinking of focusing on keyboards for my "playing future."  All I can say is I hope, some day, you can play again, Mustafa.  I do know playing well is a lot tougher as I age.  Ric Wells says he sings a 6 out of ten, I think I sing a 2, but am taking most of the load when it comes to vocals.  I MIGHT be able to pull it off for the set (about 45-50 minutes), but know I can't push it much farther.  Salt water gargles have become a "best friend" after rehearsals. LOL
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 21, 2018 - 10:29pm
Ric and Jeff, I wasnt being too serious about the DNA thing, although it is something that I "feel". My mother never played but it may have been the culture of the sixties, but whatever it was , both my brother and i have it. As I say, reading, writing, writhmatic and music. the four essentials.

and Ric you may be on to something about the difference between  an appreciation and talent.  As Tom McGuane said about his father: he wasnt a very good fly fisherman, but nobody loved it more.
BTW, thanks for the lovely stories about your family. I can only imagine what your mom must have been like.

Thanks for well wishes Jeff, certainly you can understand what a loss it  was. But life is changes, it brought me to the kung fu, it brought me
to Turkey and it brought me to the ney. But unfortunately, my singer (me) lost his band (me) for around the campfire.

I worked up a repertoire of singing Turkish Rock n Roll songs, but I could never get any bands in Santa Fe interested. So my career as a Turkish rock star fizzled.  Go Figure.

I dont know how to rank my voice, but I did sing and play Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers for my buddy's wedding party around the campfire,

although I cracked a wee bit on that high note.

Mustafa
Stone-Eater Added Jun 22, 2018 - 2:18am
Strange thing is when I sing I sing in a lot higher voice than I speak. Friends always wonder and tell me, well, you're not exactly a shouter, but hearing you sing while not seeing you one would think that guy is 20 LOL
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 22, 2018 - 7:50am
Stone Eater, it is an interesting place we go to when we sing. Conway Twitty was a stutterer, but you would never know it listening to him sing.

wsucram15 Added Jun 22, 2018 - 12:50pm
Luther ..
mention to Dave that my 1993 Nirvana drumstick signed by him got "cleaned" by a restoration company and ruined it, and of all the things the company screwed up, lost or just took, I was the most upset about that.   I cant even look at the rest of my memorabilia..most of it is just gone.

Also ask him to read his letters more...lol.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jun 22, 2018 - 6:28pm
"What is it with music that can send some of us in time and space travel, connecting with the ancient struggles and joys of humans throughout time? A form of communication more profound than any words could ever facilitate" Kemal

Yes, music is the wings on which the soul transcends to the hereafter. Are you saying that the simplistic view of which so many Americans hold other people advances ignorance of the breadth, diversity, intermixing, and similarity of the human, which can be enlightened by exploring how music impact people of the world? Oh yes, I did love some of the music mentioned and I played my Marty Robbins and Jonny Cash, even though I am Black. I love this one and it guides my living and my interacting on WB.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 22, 2018 - 9:11pm
Dr. Rupert Green,
re:"Are you saying that the simplistic view of which so many Americans hold other people advances ignorance of the breadth, diversity, intermixing, and similarity of the human, which can be enlightened by exploring how music impact people of the world?"
No was I was not, but I would be happy to.

Took me to a tune that I have always connected with, even though I am northern boy; Closer Walk with Thee

As to what guides my living, maybe we can talk about that later.

Mustafa
Pardero Added Jun 22, 2018 - 9:39pm
Dr. Rupert Green,
Jim Reeves was my Uncle Sid's favorite recording artist.

Mustafa Kemal,
Cool Hand Luke was a great movie, and an appreciated link.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jun 22, 2018 - 11:11pm
@Kemal. Thanks for the Jim Reeves link; I turned it on, turned the volume up and enjoyed. Funny, the goosebumps again, dang things. Surely enjoyed it.
Took me to a tune that I have always connected with, even though I am northern boy; target="_blank">Closer Walk with Thee

Yes, that music takes me back to Jamaica when on Sundays it was blasted from the homes of those with players.  Ahh when I visit WB, I can go away enlightened, cracking up, or angered depending whose post I read. Cant afford to be killed by anger.

@Pardero
Dr. Rupert Green,
Jim Reeves was my Uncle Sid's favorite recording artist.

I am sure he would find some Skeete Davis, Patti Page, and Charlie Pride enjoyable. In a time considered bad so much beauty abound, yet in this time of enlightenment, death, mayhem, and fear predominate. I need to find a country with a cave I can Robinson Crueso in.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 22, 2018 - 11:33pm
Pardero,
I can eat fifty eggs
Pardero Added Jun 22, 2018 - 11:51pm
Hehe.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 24, 2018 - 9:02pm
iwas turned on to an artist named Otis Taylor by a guy in the picku band.  Taylor is a folk/blues guy.  He seems to have grabbed and arranged a great cover of "Hey Joe," by Jimi Hendrix, a tune we're doing for Bsh.  Great arrangement live with a solo violinist, in this case Ann Harris, a talented and beautiful woman lending so much to the perfomances I've seen on YouTube.  There's some outstanding studio stuff, including a "Hey Joe Opus," on Taylor's "Red Meat " Album, with one tune arrangement adding a coronet in the mix, and a second version of "Hey Joe" on same LP, with a banjo and touch of a Wurlitzer, thrown in.  Guess Taylor has a banjo LP out with a banjo version of "Hey Joe," LOL.  All versions I've heard by Taylor would have made Jimi smile.  Wish we could find a violinist...
Stone-Eater Added Jun 25, 2018 - 1:24pm
Jeff

Hey Joe is about the easiest Hendrix piece to cover (as far as I know it's not even from him but I forgot the composer). Try "Fire" or "Crosstown Traffic". I was looking for a live version of the latter which would last longer than 2 minutes but could never find one. Absolutely brilliant that one for my taste :-)
Stone-Eater Added Jun 25, 2018 - 1:27pm
BTW: Music is THE universal language. I played with Swedes, Mexicans, Malians, Senegalese etc. and we understood each other without words. I traveled for 2 years around the planet with a small kid's acoustic guitar, and literally everywhere I could make friends. Music is magic !
Ric Wells Added Jun 25, 2018 - 1:35pm
Hey Joe.
Ric Wells Added Jun 25, 2018 - 2:05pm
Not my favorite. Overplayed. Third Stone from the Sun. One of my favorites along with Machine Gun.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 25, 2018 - 5:51pm
We've got a couple of Seattle themed Hendrix tunes in the set, one is "Crosstown Traffuc," and then "Spanish Castle Magic",  Spanish Castle was a club south of Seattle.  In 1962, was snuck in the side door by a family friend that was an off-duty cop working security.  Jimi jammed with the "headliner", Don and the Goodtimes (who?).  It was several years until Hendrix made it big, then remembered, "Oh, him."  Yeah, "Third" and "Machine Gun" are great cover tunes as well...frankly, all Hendrix is.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jun 25, 2018 - 10:01pm
Crosstown Traffic, yes!

Any Red House?

Jeff Michka Added Jun 26, 2018 - 8:34pm
No "Red House."  We're rapidly getting overwhelmed with material we'd like to play but getting it down would be the issue and then question of time.  We'll open with the Zeppelin, then Hendrix material. None of us are Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix.   NWers are always lured by Hendrix it seems.  "Crosstown Traffic" is instantly understood by anyone, local or otherwise, that tries to traverse the city, East to West or W to E.  Jimi knew the route.   We still need an opening throw-away to allow the sound system to be wrung out.  This is outdoor and after dark, so some considerations are necessary.  Open possibility might be fun is a version of Ennio Moriccone's intro theme to "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly."  A little spaghetti western for the old folks, so to speak...
Ric Wells Added Jun 26, 2018 - 8:49pm
Slow opener. Behind Blue Eyes. The Who. Faster one. Magic Bus. Maybe something by Tom Petty.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 27, 2018 - 5:38pm
Want te opening slow and attention getting while sound is tweaked.  Under other circumstances there would be a full sound check, but once again, party purpose and location need to be kept in mind.  All interesting suggestions for opener, Ric.  Thanks.
Ric Wells Added Jun 27, 2018 - 6:50pm
Jeff. Check out Big Weekend by Tom Petty. Might be the opening to suit you and the crowd. Not hard to play either.
Jeff Michka Added Jun 27, 2018 - 7:47pm
Thanks for passing that Petty piece along, Ric.  Appreciate the suggestions!!  Will take some of these recommendations along to the rest of the act, later this week at rehearsal.  Been a fun thread here.  I knew wsuscram15 has been/is in the music business and SEFa was a player, but pleased to see music in the soul of the folks posting comments.  Now I've got to find links about Korematsu falling out of law of the land.

Recent Articles by Writers Mustafa Kemal follows.