I am the first to hate Marxism

I am a Romanian and I lived through those times. I was struggling these days to understand what an intellectual really is.. Those who don't understand that there might be a possibility that they don't know anything cannot be considered intellectuals by any stretch of the imagination. Even if they read a book.

I am the first to hate marxism, in fact I have no greater passion than hating marxism and communism. Ceausescu was far more tame than people think. He in fact loved Romania, opposed the USSR invasion of Czechoslovakia, cultivated love for history (although he proclaimed himself the greatest hero of all), religion was tolerated, and in the end he tried to make Romania independent from any foreign influence. This last fact led to his killing - he had to be silenced and replaced with a better servant of the globalists. In fact Romanians mourn him on Christmas day and consider themselves his murderers.
And jong is right. Romanians have suffered both under communism and islam. So they know better than most peoples how dangerous these are.

Comments

Dino Manalis Added Jun 24, 2018 - 12:08pm
 Romania is free from Soviet totalitarianism!
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jun 24, 2018 - 12:30pm
Delusional.
Dani Added Jun 24, 2018 - 2:58pm
I am the author and I think I agree with both negative comments above :) Due to an error in communication the person who uploaded this did place it in context. This was a comment of mine in response to a vicious and misinformed attack against the dictator Ceausescu. Lies are never a good policy, even when they are used against a bad person. The point was that in fact Ceausescu did not hate Romania, did not destroy our identity and most of all he was not a stalinist and a globalist.  And for the record, I hate all forms of socialism and I am not an apologist of Ceausescu. If somebody wants to portray him as a better person than he was, I will attack him.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jun 24, 2018 - 3:35pm
Thank you, for the clarification. I'm also European (German). And the dictatorship in Romania with the Securitate was chilling. If the Noble Prize committee was ever right about something than about honoring Herta Müller for talking about it.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jun 24, 2018 - 3:36pm
I also agree that dishonesty is also wrong when it hurts evil people most.
Luther Wu Added Jun 24, 2018 - 4:22pm
Dani,
You found yourself here in the same manner that many of us did.

I appreciate your insightful comments about Ceausescu. We often learn the most from those with on- the- scene insights.

Now that you're here, do hang around, won't you?
A. Jones Added Jun 24, 2018 - 4:54pm
If the Noble Prize . . .

"Noble" Prize?

That's NOBEL Prize.
Jeff Jackson Added Jun 24, 2018 - 6:50pm
Hey, every dictator has things that the people like about them, now don't they? There were people who loved Hitler, and Stalin, and Benito Mussolini, and feared for their governments when they passed away. I'm sure Ceausescu had some good things about him, and I seem to recall that he disagreed with Stalin regarding religion and some other issues. I am sure that from being there in Romania, your perspective is much sharper than those of us who merely watched and read from afar. If my rapidly aging memory serves me, wasn't there some corruption in the Ceausescu regime? I seem to recall some deals that made him or his pals wealthy, but that was all of the Warsaw Pact, not exclusive to Romania.
A. Jones Added Jun 24, 2018 - 7:04pm
wasn't there some corruption in the Ceausescu regime?

". . . [Ceausescu's] government very soon became severely totalitarian, and was considered one of the most repressive in Eastern Europe. His secret police, the Securitate, was responsible for mass surveillance as well as severe repression and human rights abuses within the country, and he suppressed and controlled the media and press, implementing methods that were among the harshest, most restrictive and brutal in the world. Economic mismanagement due to failed oil ventures during the 1970s led to skyrocketing foreign debts for Romania; in 1982, he exported much of the country's agricultural and industrial production in an effort to repay them. The shortages that followed drastically lowered living standards, leading to heavy rationing of food, water, oil, heat, electricity, medicine, and other necessities. His cult of personality experienced unprecedented elevation, followed by extensive nepotism and the intense deterioration of foreign relations, even with the Soviet Union.

As anti-government protesters demonstrated in Timișoara in December 1989, he perceived the demonstrations as a political threat and ordered military forces to open fire on 17 December, causing many deaths and injuries. The revelation that Ceaușescu was responsible resulted in a massive spread of rioting and civil unrest across the country."

* * *

Ceausescu did all of these things in the name of pure,  Marxian, communism . . . and you're concerned about "corruption"?

Talk about a lack of perspective!
Jeff Jackson Added Jun 24, 2018 - 10:09pm
Mr. Jones, doesn't that sound like almost all of the Warsaw Pact countries? Shortages, misery, an authoritarian state, great restrictions of freedom, a "planned economy" that failed in almost every aspect? Marxism, or communism, whatever variant, was never good for citizens. I don't recall any of the Warsaw pact countries' economies doing well for the masses. I think that is why they finally shook off communism; it just doesn't work.
Dani Added Jun 25, 2018 - 2:45am
There was nothing to like about Ceausescu. However when compared with his predecessor and the monster who followed him, people recognize that he was far less bad.
I’ve noticed several times from sources outside the country that his regime was considered very repressive. All the while myself and my parents and virtually everybody else think differently. There was no real freedom, let’s not kid ourselves. I would have to watch my language in public, because my parents would badmouth the regime at home. But I’ve never heard of arrests. In school they never taught us about God, but I could go to church no problem. For me as a child it was even exciting to be a small freedom fighter and it built my character forever.
Officially there was repression, but the enforcers were never there and people could live in relative freedom. Corruption? Of course there was, everything and everybody was corrupt and the economy was a clay monster.
The image that the regime has outside the country is very different. I see two causes for that.
On the one hand I believe there were some cases, such as louder voices among minorities, that were specifically targeted. They escaped the country and told their personal story. I have no doubt that some truly suffered under Ceausescu.
On the other hand, towards the end of the regime there was an incredible vicious campaign of disinformation orchestrated probably by the soviets, meant to turn the people against Ceausescu (who was beginning to do good things for the country, because we were almost out of debt). After the regime fell, we were casually told that we were lied to about how bad Ceausescu was, and they laughed in our faces. It was all for the new world order, his presidential successor added with glee. Also it is worth noting that during the 1989 revolution, there were provocateurs in the crowds, even armed ones. We were led by the noses, and paid a heavy price for our stupidity, because the regime that followed purposefully destroyed our self-esteem and national identity. We even have a saying: "we could not even paint what Ceausescu built".
And a bit of non-trivial trivia: it wasn’t really Ceausescu who was big on doing bad things. It was his wife.
Dani Added Jun 25, 2018 - 3:01am
Luther Wu
I think the owner of the site does it on purpose. I don't blame her, because it's a good persuasion tactic: put people in a position where they have to defend themselves and they will get engaged.
On the other hand, in the same machiavellic tone as the owner of the site, this entire thing gave me an idea: I could write professionally (I'm very good at it) and earn a buck somewhere else.
About the hanging around part, I noticed here people that I like. Probably I will, but I will also have to consider  how and what I will share.
Stone-Eater Added Jun 25, 2018 - 5:48am
Dani

Welcome here. But frankly: Don't you think that Trump also shows signs of becoming a dictator in some ways ? I mean he's not alone in that. Take Erdogan, Putin, Xi, Maduro, Duterte.......all of these are in fact dictators. Some countries don't mind to have a dictator on top. They need or want a strong leader. It's a matter of history and education. Slowly undermining existing laws and democracy for the sake of economic interests of a few neofeudalists, called "corporations" today.
Dani Added Jun 25, 2018 - 6:04am
Stone-Eater
We all have dictatorial tendencies. If you haven't seen this in yourself, look again. However Trump is under such scrutiny that he probably is one of the most by the book presidents.
The emotional rhetoric of he opposition is that he is a dictator, Nazi, child killer and so on. And Trump is a master of those puppets too. He lives in their brains and exploits their emotions through wifi - no strings needed.
But rhetoric is not the same as reality. As much as I respect other people's feelings, I respect more actual facts.
Jeff Jackson Added Jun 25, 2018 - 12:33pm
Wow Dani, that was a great description of the honorable President Trump. Great work, and thanks for the lesson on Ceausescu. Many people in the U.S. wanted to free you from the chains you were in. And yet, we have people who tell us there was no reason at all for the Cold War. Of course there was a reason, it was Dani and millions of others who suffered. Hope to see more nice work from you Dani.
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Jun 25, 2018 - 1:56pm
I guess I am the second to hate Marxism and its sordid flavors.
Stone-Eater Added Jun 25, 2018 - 2:18pm
Dani

I have nothing against Trump. He didn't start a new war as his predecessor did ... yet. I understand that he wants "America first". But his mistake is subtile: He should say "The United States first". America is a continent. You see, the rest of the world is very sensitive about such details since the US has that military presence all over the place. Nobody believes anymore that it's used for "self-defense".

This is psychology. And playing the boss is ok in an enterprise, but not on a world stage with so many different cultures and countries....
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Jun 25, 2018 - 3:23pm
Stone-Eater

" He should say "The United States first""

Excellent point ! The usage here is that the USA is all or most of Americans as they were known in Europe and UK and such for decades. The statement becomes an idiom.

"You see, the rest of the world is very sensitive about such details since the US has that military presence all over the place.
"
But the rest of the world depended upon the USA to fight wars nearly everywhere and most countries refused to help out with aid or armies.

What else could you expect?

Neil Lock Added Jun 25, 2018 - 4:09pm
Stone-Eater and rycK: Trump should have said "Americans first!" Meaning, make life as good as possible for every one of the people over whom he wanted to take, and has taken, power and responsibility. "America first" and "USA first" both mean "politics first," and so politicians (and their bad laws, wars and taxes) first.

And Dani, thanks for your article. I only know well two Romanian people, and they were overjoyed when Ceasescu was dealt with.
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Jun 25, 2018 - 4:50pm
Neil Lock

"Trump should have said "Americans first!" "

I <s>second</s> first that one!
A. Jones Added Jun 25, 2018 - 8:16pm
But I’ve never heard of arrests.

That's because the government controlled the media and forbade any news of political arrests unless such news could be used as propaganda.

See:

UPI - 5 January 1990

"BUCHAREST, Romania -- The provisional government has emptied Romania's jails of the last of the political prisoners detained during dictator Nicolae Ceausescu's 25-year rule, a government spokesman said Friday.

Since assuming power two weeks ago, the National Salvation Front ordered a search of prison records for inmates jailed for such offenses as speaking out against the communist government or illegally trying to emigrate, Foreign Ministry spokesman Peter Bord said.

The search led to the discovery and release of a number of political prisoners who remained behind bars despite a general amnesty declared Dec. 26, the day after Ceausescu and his wife were executed by firing squad, he said.

'As of today there are no more political prisoners in Romania,' Bord said.

Laying a legal foundation for its actions, the front's executive council approved legislation formally declaring amnesty for anyone convicted or accused of any of 14 categories of political offenses.

The amnesty was announced late Thursday on state-run television.

Government officials said they had not yet tabulated the number of people affected by the amnesty, nor was it known how many have been imprisoned or executed for political crimes under Ceausescu."

See:

New York Times – 1990

"Mircea Raceanu, the last political prisoner to be released by the security forces as the dictatorship of Nicolae Ceausescu fell, said today that he felt vindicated but not vindictive about his time on death row here.

Mr. Raceanu, still gaunt and 40 pounds lighter from his prison regimen, was somber as he spoke, both about the past and Rumania's future.

His arrest was carried out neatly by the Securitate, Mr. Ceausescu's state police agency, which has since been partly dissolved. A police car pulled over him and his wife. Then an unmarked automobile came up. Two men, who did not identify themselves or display weapons demanded that Mr. Raceanu get out, saying ''Come with us.'' They pushed him into their car."

Etc.
Ward Tipton Added Jun 26, 2018 - 1:38am
Welcome to Writer Beat.
Flying Junior Added Jun 26, 2018 - 3:26am
I am the first to differentiate from the ancient amphibians.
Dani Added Jun 26, 2018 - 5:49am
As I pointed out before, I realize that there were arrests, but I've never heard myself about arrests ever. I mean through the word of mouth. We were simple people, like 90% of the country, and we were not targeted.
I too was overjoyed when Ceausescu fell and I would be again if that happened now. But that was not the point.
All I did was to give you a new perspective on the regime. And I did not say that what you knew before was incorrect.
And one important thing: I feared the regime only when I didn't keep my mouth shut.  It's the same fear that I would feel now if I were to voice my opinion in the USA or in the Western Europe. I have a 10 years visa for the USA, but I would not consider to move there because of this reason. In Romania now I can say whatever the hell I want, no matter how outrageous, and the worst thing that can happen to me is to be scorned by some stupid kid. Boo-hoo. That's freedom -  I hate to tell you that, but it's true.
Regarding Stone-Eater's comment, I would not be that careful about the sensitivities of others. Because by policing language you build up the politically correct culture and this will be the end of civilization. And regarding Trump himself, to be honest, this is the first time in my life when I don't fear or hate the USA. I fear though the time when democrats take the power back.
Doug Plumb Added Jun 26, 2018 - 6:17am
Our governments and media love sickness and corruption. For them to turn against someone means that this someone is against the agenda, not that they are sick or corrupt.
Ward Tipton Added Jun 26, 2018 - 7:20am
How true Doug! Sad, but true!
Johnny Fever Added Jun 27, 2018 - 12:45pm
“It's the same fear that I would feel now if I were to voice my opinion in the USA or in the Western Europe. I have a 10 years visa for the USA, but I would not consider to move there because of this reason.”

Based on what facts have you concluded it’s unsafe to voice your opinion in the United States?  Are you saying your comments here are watered down here to avoid potential expulsion or prosecution?

You clearly don’t know much about Romanian history to put on some free speech pedestal.  If you recall, Romania relatively recently overthrew Ceausescu and experienced the larges anti-government protests in its history in 2017.  I would be very cautious as to what you say in a country with such a weak democracy and a history of communism and corruption.
Dani Added Jun 28, 2018 - 1:14pm
I was quite precise in what I said. Why do you feel the need to put words into my mouth? I never said that Romania is a democracy. It's  quite a corrupt and almost socialist country if you ask me. What I'm saying is that I am free to voice my opinion, without any fear from a mob. And probably during my lifetime the people here will not become so corrupt as to transform into an unhinged mob either. Now try wearing a MAGA hat in New York!
Stone-Eater Added Jun 29, 2018 - 3:26pm
Ryck

But the rest of the world depended upon the USA to fight wars nearly everywhere

Not really. It makes a difference when you say "depended" or "depend". The first....it's a matter of POV. And the second....in many European eyes the US did start wars and asked us Europeans to support it.  Sorry but it's how we feel.
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Jun 29, 2018 - 5:10pm
Stone-Eater

We financed WW1 and WW2 and saved the British Empire. We have done almost the fighting in the Middle East.

Realize that the inept French haven't had a victor in battle since Austerlitz. Germany cannot fight nor can Spain. We have provided the majority of muscle and money in NATO since inception of this wreckage. The UK could not even handle the Malvinas.