The Golden Age of Rock Music

I count myself extremely lucky to have lived through the golden age of Rock Music. From the early sixties to the early seventies there was a great scene going and you could see anyone. That was the golden period for me.

In 1964 I was fifteen and embarked upon my love affair with live Rock Music - something that has lasted to this day.

My first gig was the British Birds with Ron Wood (later of the Stones and Smallfaces). For the princely sum of 22p I got to stand in front of the stage at the Walton Hop at the Playhouse while they blew me away. I followed that up the following week with the original Them with Van Morrison. They were awesome.

That wasn't a bad way to get your feet in the water! I was hooked.

By the late sixties I was eighteen, had a motorbike so could get around, lived in London and so was going to at least three gigs a week. I lived for live music and there was so much to see.

I frequented places like UFO, Middle Earth, Eel Pie Island, Les Cousins, the Marquee, the Toby Jug, Klooks Kleek and a range of Folk Clubs, pubs and colleges. The Underground Scene was burgeoning. I was into Folk, Blues, West Coast Acid Rock, Psychedelia, Rock 'n' Roll, Progressive and Folkrock.  I had discovered Roy Harper (at least one gig a week) and Captain Beefheart.

It seemed to me that everyone was on all the time. You simply checked out the gigs in the NME or Time Out and decided who to go to see. There was so much choice it was ridiculous.

My favourites were Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart, Country Joe and the Fish, Pink Floyd, Nice, Family, Doors, Hendrix, Cream, Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention, Edgar Broughton, Frank Zappa, Who, Jackson C Frank, Free, Pretty Things, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon,  Incredible String Band, Beatles, Stones, Arthur Brown  and, of course Roy Harper.

All of them were playing, along with loads of others, and it was just a question of who to go to see. On top of that the old rockers like Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry and Little Richard were touring and the Blues guys like Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters and Hound Dog Taylor popped up. I was lucky enough to catch Son House, Bukka White, Big Joe Williams and Skip James. Then there were the rump of the Beat groups with old favourites like the Downliners Sect and Nashville Teens. Then there were the Folkies - Fairport Convention, Davey Graham, Stefan Grossman, John Fahey, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn. You simply could not get to see them all. I missed a few.

We were just spoilt for choice. There were free concerts and festivals. You could wander backstage and talk to the band. You met up with friends and made new friends. It was hectic. It was mad and it was hugely exciting and enjoyable.

We thought it would last forever. So many people I didn't get to see because I figured I'd catch them next time and sometimes next time didn't come around.

There were magic moments standing in small clubs while Jimmy Page and Robert Plant blasted you with the force of early Led Zep, watching the amazing Hendrix close up, watching Peter Green mesmerise in John Mayall and then with Fleetwood Mac, seeing Captain Beefheart at his peak with his wonderfully powerful voice and amazing band, seeing Jim Morrison do his theatrics in the Roundhouse, listening to the delicate melodies of Jackson C Frank, watching Clapton up close as Cream performed, marvelling at the guitarwork of Davey Graham, Bert Jansch and John Renbourn, Hearing Sandy Denny and Joni Mitchell sing, the harmonies of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, watching the amazing lightshow and fabulous music of Pink Floyd in the UFO Club, standing in a small pub in front of Paul Kossof as Free blasted us, watching the Stones in Hyde Park, and of course, being ravaged by the power of Roy Harper blasting his poetic songs with such verve and angst.

I don't know how I had time to do anything else and still I managed to get a degree. It saddens me that I missed so many acts that I'd give anything to see now.

I never got to see the Beatles, John Lennon, Bob Dylan (before the crash) or Howlin' Wolf. And I could have done. I kick myself.

Apart from the wonder of seeing top artists playing in small clubs there were other factors. There was a brilliant social scene. The Underground was a community of Freaks with idealistic and creative values. I made some great friends. Then it was cheap. There were numerous free festivals. it cost between 10p and 25p to get into the clubs. An all-nighter with four or five top bands would be around 50p. A three day festival - like the Reading Blues Festival or Woburn Abbey was around £1.50p. It wasn't going to break the bank.

It was miles away from the big stadium scene that came in the seventies. When you had seen Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin for a maximum of 25p in a small intimate club why would you splash out £10 to see them in a lousy stadium?

Well it was a different experience wasn't it? As sound systems and screens got better it became an event worth going to - but it wasn't the same. Not the steamy bouncing hot sweaty clubs.

These days I am still gigging. I like my small club experience with bands like the Fall, Arthur Brown, Loudhailer Electric Company, the Magic Band, Love, The Mississippi Allstars, Blockheads, Stiff Little Fingers, Wilko Johnson, Sharks, John Otway, Billy Bragg, Lee Perry, Nick Harper, White Stripes, Jake Bugg, John Cooper Clarke and the like. I even do stadiums with the Who and Bob Dylan.

I've got used to the prices but a lot of the guys have been dying off lately and I don't take to a lot of the new stuff. I'm a bit of a dinosaur. But I did get to see most people during those golden days back in the sixties. Those are the days that I enjoyed most!!

PS - the only other brilliant time was Punk and the brilliant energy of the Stranglers, Sex Pistols, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Buzzcocks, Clash, Doctors of Madness, Stiff Little Fingers and all those other geniuses!! I bounced around with the best.

Right there at the front. That's where it jumps!!

Long live Rock!!! Here's to the next wave!!!

Comments

opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:58am
I'm just planning out my next few gigs. It's such a shame that so many of the greats are now dead or no longer touring but the Grandmothers are touring - with a dash of Zappa - and I might just catch Lee Scratch Perry again.
If you ain't at the front it ain't worth shit!!
Ric Wells Added Jul 11, 2018 - 9:42am
Jani
Dylan
Doors
Clapton
Santana
Stones
Just to name a few. I know the Page Puff Daddy reference but what they combined with Kashmir and Come with me is excellent in my opinion.
Now
Tom Petty
Al Dimeola
Brian Hughes
Joe Bonamassa
Eddie Vetter
Foo fighters
Danni Gatten
Government Mule
World music-not a group but a classification
Deep Forest
A3
Eric Johnson
And so much more even some
country
Delbert Mcclinton
Travis Tritt
K D Lang
And so many many many more.
There is so much good music out there to go along with the bad.

opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 11:17am
Ric - music is a liberating force! It also joins people together! So many good bands. So much great music.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 11:31am
Wow yep. Family, Vanilla Fudge, East of Eden, Spring and Hard Meat were some of my (lesser well-known here)  favorites in the early 70's.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 11:37am
Hi Stone - welcome. I thought you were banned!
Yes Family were great - I used to see them regularly. A shame that Rick Gretch was nicked for Blind Faith. It ruined family but Chapman is brilliant.
Hard Meat were good. I saw them a few times. East of Eden had a great album that I used to have.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 12:35pm
Oph

LOL

You can find that album of East of Eden. Name is "Mercator projected" :)
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 11, 2018 - 2:19pm
You are so lucky....

One of the best concerts I saw was Crosby, Stills and Nash at the Brady Theater.  I paid 30.00 for the price of a ticket in 1992 (shocked at the price...LOL) to see just the three of them play.  It was essentially acoustic.  It was a great evening.  I saw Robert Plant in concert in 1989 when he finally started admitting that he was in a little band called Led Zeppelin and played some Zep songs.  I've seen Rush and Metallica, Cheap Trick, Heart, Def Leapord and.......Hall and Oates.  I also saw Huey Lewis and the News.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 2:52pm
Stone - I think the one I was thinking of was called Jig a Jig or something similar.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 2:54pm
Jeffrey - I only managed to get to see CSN&Y once. They were together with the Band and Joni Mitchell. A magical evening.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 11, 2018 - 3:59pm
Ah, so this did get published.  Saw it listed on someone's "authors I follow lis, but there wasn't anything there.  Seems many of us had a good time and great experiences during the "Golden Age," and I now find myself learning or relearning tunes from the period to perform.  Had some great times working the stage for acts including Cream, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues and others as a stage hand, had a better time playing their music in clubs and on the radio over the years.  Now find myself remembering the lessons learned long ago and playing in a group consisting of neighbors, who got together to play for other neighbors.  A unique and so far fairly satisfying experience.  We're all old farts, but are starting to sound better than we smell....LOL.
Ric Wells Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:18pm
Jeff old farts have learned it's not safe to be downwind from each other.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:38pm
Ric: LOL  Or be in an enclosed practice space with all doors and windows closed.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:50pm
Jeff - I bet that was an experience working the stage for Cream, Tull and the Moodies. What a time. How did you manage to get that gig?
I'm not musically talented or I would be playing. Playing in a band is great. What sort of stuff do you play?
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:51pm
Ric - but they've still got it. A few of my old fart friends are in bands and they rock.
Ric Wells Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:52pm
Beware the chili dogs before practice.LOL
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:56pm
Oph

Jig a jig was their "hit" but by no means their best song IHMO. Listen to Northern Hemisphere :)
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 5:11pm
Ric - and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 5:12pm
Stone - I think they brought an album out in Britain with that title too.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:13pm
opher:   I got to WORK those acts as a member of the stagehand union local.  All large venues in town at the time and musician contracts specified union labor.  It sounds like fun, but was bloody hard work.  Money for the day was good.  Usually the hustle was changing acts, from opening to main.  Toughest I remember was changing Robin Trower (opening) to Moodies in '72-3, Coliseum, Seattle.  I "Play" LOL guitar and a bit of keyboards, from professionally in late 60s and to this day.   Early 80s Yamaha Strat copy. The band experience with neighbors is kinda cool.   I've helped you start your car, can I  loan you an amp?  Think it good practice for us to be coordinated, knowing how to get that way, as neighbors occasionally having to take on "the forces of darkness."  Will also be enjoyable playing for a wider neighborhood audience and our families.  Families can hide their faces and plug ears if we're embarrassing, but think we'll be okay.   Since it will be vocal only PA, got to work on "stage mix", but that's worst of it.  We're playing several Zep tunes, and a few Hendrix tunes.  I can't remember who I was discussing an opening "throw away" tune to start, since thee will be no real sound check, but we settled on a classic:  Dirty Water by Standells.  Mrs. Bob is from Boston, and we decided when the drummer bass and rhythm guitar dropped into it last Rehearsal.  It's easy.  Every kid that has ever been in even a high school band has played it.  And we added Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" to beginning of Hendrix tunes.  Brings set time to 55 minutes.  A tough tune intro, but doable.  I think. LOL  I'm sure I'm driving my next door neighbors crazy, but nothing has been said.  It gets loud.  LOL
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:18pm
Jeff

Cool. I'm still trying hard go get half as good as Gary Moore :)
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:21pm
Jeff - yep I bet it is hard. My mate, Mike Green, who I do a lot of radio work with, was the roadie for Free, Bad Company and Trower. You might have met him at that gig!
Sounds like your band is hot. I love that Standells and Trower.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:22pm
Stone - you set yourself high standards.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:25pm
Yep. But I say HALF as good. And I think I am meanwhile

Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:30pm
At least I get closer to Trower than to Moore by now. Moore had that FEELING. I think I have it too but I lack his speed since I can't solo with a plectrum. I use one finger only. But that allows me to play bass and slap at the same time while soloing. That's what happens when you never had a teacher LOL
Jeff Michka Added Jul 11, 2018 - 7:33pm
You have to have high standards and work to live up to them, particularly on stage.   Ah, wow, so your mate Mike was tour crew with Trower on his first solo outing?  Cool!  And yeah, radio is a great musical outlet in so many ways.  Show him my av pic.  I pretty much looked like that for several years, starting in 72.  Av pic was taken in 74 is I remember.  Almost has to be.  I was still riding the bike when it was taken.  Good luck to you on that, SEFa!!  I've seen Moore stuff on YouTube, good sound.  Like him.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 11, 2018 - 9:31pm
Hey, Ric....it's the baked beans....LOL
Ric Wells Added Jul 11, 2018 - 9:33pm
Beans beans they're good for the heart. Etc.
Flying Junior Added Jul 11, 2018 - 11:34pm
Opher,

When you write these glorious accounts of your illustrious youth to make us all so jealous because we were only listening to Jimmy Page with Donovan on at best a Grundig or maybe Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass or the Monkees on a monophonic turntable...

I can't help but think of the Giles cartoon books; compilations from newspaper cartoons, I imagine.  My dad brought one home in 1963 and maybe again in 1965.  You know what I'm talking about.  They were over-sized with ten or eleven inches to a page.  I think of the little, three-feet tall caricatures of the rockers with their long, ratty hair and winkle-pickers.  I sure hope those comic books aren't lost!

Remember the price of a pack of fags and a cough?  2/6 pence.  Remember the Myth of the Motorcar Monster?

What's all this shit about 22p?  You were paying these exorbitant prices with shillings, threepences, florins and half-crowns!
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 2:53am
Stone - yes he certainly had a feeling for it. To be half as good is pretty good.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 2:55am
Jeff/Ric - I'm reminded of Captain Beefheart - 'I run on beans - laser beans'.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 3:04am
Flying Junior - yes I remember those Giles cartoons. I used to have a couple of books of them but they've gone walkies over the years.
I too was listening to all those bands on an old Dansette turned up high with the bass turned up. My mornings started with a pile of singles. I could load up about eight. Each was about two and a half minutes. I had twenty minutes to get up, washed dressed, breakfasted and out to school. 8 singles - Beatles, Stones, Who, Downliners Sect, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Smallfaces, Pretty Things, Animals, Donovan, Birds and such were my wake up call! My parents were long suffering.
Yes it was all pounds shilling and pence. I rounded it up to new money. To think that I'd be off to see Pink Floyd for one shilling and six pence and Led Zeppelin for the extortionate 5 shillings.
Ric Wells Added Jul 12, 2018 - 7:43am
ZAPPA.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 9:28am
AaaaH Zappa. I still have the vinyl albums of the Mothers of Invention. I bought them new in the 60s when they came out. Fabulous stuff.
Ric Wells Added Jul 12, 2018 - 10:14am
Daw live with Mothers if Invention at Atlantic City Race track.3 day festival.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 11:34am
What year was that Ric?
I was fortunate enough to talk to Jimmy Carl Black at a Grandmothers gig. He was a great guy.
Ric Wells Added Jul 12, 2018 - 11:35am
1979 as I recall. 2 or 3 weeks before Woodstock.
Ric Wells Added Jul 12, 2018 - 11:36am
Fumble fingers. 1969.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 12, 2018 - 11:57am
Yep. Muffin Man.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 11:59am
Ric - that was a classic line-up. My favourite album was we are only in it for the money. That was from around then.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:00pm
Stone - the Muffin Men are touring!!
Stone-Eater Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:03pm
I actually meant Zappa. Or is that some kind of revival band ?
Jeff Michka Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:04pm
Jimmy Carl Black, yeah!  And, of course, Frank..."Freakout" was a point of musical departure for me and the band I was with at the time.  "Susie?"  "Susie Creamcheese?"  LOL, and "Return"...That drumbeat made it into a Jean Luc Goddard film, "Weekend."  A drummer in a forest launches into it...Frank and MOI.  We really could use Zappa these days.  A talent sorely missed.
Ric Wells Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:09pm
We used to lift weights to Zappa
 Don't ask me why it just fit. Going to Montana soon. Gonna  be a dental floss tycoon.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:10pm
Jeff - and someone with a great mind who was spot on. I would love to have heard what he made of Trump.
Ric Wells Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:13pm
I remember he appeared before Congress as an advocate of a national sales tax which would eliminate the federal income tax among other taxes.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 12, 2018 - 12:26pm
Try "Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention."
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 2:46pm
Stone - it's a band that does Zappa stuff with ex-members.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 2:46pm
Freakout was like nothing else.
Doug Plumb Added Jul 12, 2018 - 4:43pm
The technological age has brought us amazing music. I do not believe that a lot of these big attractions like the Beatles and Stones actually wrote their own stuff. Even smaller bands like Blue Rodeo now had amazing songs, I wonder if one or two guys can up up with stuff this good, especially when they are that young.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 12, 2018 - 5:44pm
Doug "Beetoven" Plumbed tries to explain modern songs...Hey, Doug...look up "Millennial whoop."  A clever invention that makes every tune sound the same these days.  Where is your evidence about the Stones and Beatles not writing their own tunes?  Parked alongside "The Moon Landing never Happened" conspiracy page?  Or alongside the Sandy Hook School Shootings conspiracy page?
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 6:17pm
Doug - you don't think that the Beatles and Stones actually wrote their stuff? So who the hell do you think did?
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2018 - 6:18pm
Jeff - the whole disbelief in everything takes on a new dimension!!
Jeff Michka Added Jul 12, 2018 - 7:00pm
Yup, allthings are possible if we "only suspend our disbelief," which usual is the online Xtain approach.   I guess, if he ever knew, someone else produced the Beatle in the studio.  It wasn't George Martin, it was George the Martian. LOL
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 13, 2018 - 12:36am
opher, thank you for that. What a pleasure to read, although I must admit i had some twinges of jealously, but I am over them now.

I was a bit younger and didnt live so central so not much of a clubber, but did get to see quite a few shows.

And as I was reading, 2 memories passed by that I hadnt thought of in a while.
1969 in Carlisle Pennslyvania and I began my first (american ) football double sessions. After the first session a buddy of mine went and climbed on top of a rail car to eat our lunch and we could hear one of the players playing Satistfaction by the Stones.

The other was flying kites and listening to a car radio playing
Happy Together by the Turtles.

Seen Billy Bragg three times.

Again, thanks alot
Mustafa
Mark Hunter Added Jul 13, 2018 - 1:53am
I never got to many concerts as a kid; in fact, my first major concert wasn't until my wife dragged me to see The Cure just a few years ago, and then The Used last year. But we were glued to the radio and record player back then ... boy, those were the days from a music standpoint.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:33am
Jeff - LOL - George the Martian sure did a good job. He probably wrote the songs too. Or perhaps the Jews were behind it?
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:35am
Mustafa - good to hear from you. They were good times.
I'm glad you got to see the great Billy Bragg. I've seen him a number of times and he's one of my favourites! I think I've got everything he's done.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:37am
Mark - I'm shocked. Getting to see stuff live was a different experience.
I loved the music back then. It had power.
Mark Hunter Added Jul 13, 2018 - 4:57am
That's what everyone tells me, but the rock concerts I attended just seemed ... loud. I wonder if it might not be that we couldn't afford to go to concerts when I was a kid, so I just never got used to it in my formative years. On the other hand, I went to a classical pops concert several years ago, and found it incredibly stirring. Maybe if John Williams wrote some rock songs?
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 5:04am
LOL Mark. I just loved the excitement of live performance. Rock should be loud. It's the music of rebellion!!
Mark Hunter Added Jul 13, 2018 - 5:16am
I never thought there was such a thing as something so loud I couldn't hear it, until I hit that Cure concert. But I'd been warned, and when I put the earplugs in I found the music pretty good. Still prefer it on vinyl, though.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 5:49am
Mark - yes I've been to a few like that. The Move were so loud that you felt it rather than heard it. Stiff Little Fingers are loud and Black Sabbath were pretty loud too. It's a wonder I've got any hearing left!
Mark Hunter Added Jul 13, 2018 - 6:01am
That's why I have to speak up when I talk to my brother!
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 6:41am
Mark - it's a small price to pay.
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2018 - 6:46am
Allman Brothers.
Doug Plumb Added Jul 13, 2018 - 7:24am
re "Where is your evidence about the Stones and Beatles not writing their own tunes? "  Dr. John Coleman, MI6, says it in one of his books - the one called something like "One World Socialist Government".
Also, the music is too deep, so many songs, for a pot smoking hippy to write in his short lifetime.
Doug Plumb Added Jul 13, 2018 - 7:25am
...by Theodore Adorno, I read Adorno.
The Burghal Hidage Added Jul 13, 2018 - 9:45am
Here is a topic that is always safe territory with you, Old Man. This post and thread, as relates to your other recent, Opher is that who you are is the product of your place and time. I don't have to agree with it, but I can accept it. There is enough music to talk about we needn't ever have a cross word (and we have, on occasion) between us.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 2:36pm
Burger - one of my many passions. We are all products of our age are we not?
Friends can share cross words can't they? There is much to be discussed and so little time.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 2:39pm
Doug - if that is the level of your reasoning, reading and gullibility then there is not much hope for you.
The Beatles definitely wrote their own stuff. I have the tapes to show how they developed it. Their output and ability was amazing. The standard was high and the choice of intoxicants proved very enhancing to their creativity as it did with many others. Without drugs there would be many a work of art that would not have seen the light of day.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2018 - 2:40pm
Ric - I nearly saw the Allmans in 1971 in Boston but we never made it to the gig.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:08pm
Doug, Lennon was a poet from an early age.  Paul is and was a brilliant songwriter.  One of his friends described his writing style, it was amazing how simple Paul made it seem.  This friend mentioned that Paul literally wrote the song “Hello, Goodbye” write in front of him.
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:18pm
Opher Saw the Allman Brothers in 2012 I think it was . Obviously with new band members. Those bring Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. Not too bad for replacements LOL. Anyway they opened for Santana. Never forget when Greg Warren and Derek joined Carlos on stage and they just jammed. Magical night.
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:21pm
One concert I always enjoy is Michael McDonald. I am a little biased here because my brother in law Pat Coil plays the Hammond B3 in the band. Been touring with him for years.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 13, 2018 - 3:21pm
*right, not write*
Jeff Michka Added Jul 13, 2018 - 4:33pm
I knew he'd get to it, but Plumb Doug has made "Who wrote the Beatles and Stones tunes" was some MI6 driven conspiracy.  LOL  And no, I'm not running off to follow your batshit crazy conspiracies based on "Stoned hippies could write that many tunes in their lifetimes," DP.  Hmmm.  Interesting music connection, Ric Wells, does your bro know Jeff Simmons?"  Formerly with Zappa, and also appeared in "200 Motels."  Think it was Jimmy Carl Black playing the Devil, coming up behind Simmons in one scene,  whispering "Why don't you quit this Comedy band?"  Played a couple of  times with Simmons at a mutual buddie's "annual Grunge Jam,"a jam where no grunge is played.  Affair is all-musician attended.  No grunge jam this year, but okay, got other sets to play elsewhere...Now won't have to get out Beatles songbooks since their tunes were all written by MI6. LOL
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2018 - 5:19pm
Jeff. Pat and Mike ( I know the jokes). LOL. Are on your now. Left him a text. Might be doing sound check now. He'll answer when he can. Ric.
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2018 - 6:36pm
Tonight they're playing the Hollywood Bowl headlining for Kenny Loggins Christopher Cross and the LA Philharmonic. Not a bad gig.
The Burghal Hidage Added Jul 14, 2018 - 4:01am
An hour and a half before dawn....hmmm. I think the Who's Tommy is in order this morning
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 5:48am
Jeffrey - I saw Donovan recently and he had many anecdotes of working with John and Paul on song-writing. They were incredible times and all the Beatles were amazingly talented. George wrote some incredible songs too.
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 5:51am
Ric - there are many occasions where I kick myself that I didn't go along to see someone - Howlin' Wolf in London, the original Allman's in Boston 1971, Beatles in Kingston, Bob Marley in Santa Barbara, Stones in Richmond, Jimi Hendrix in the early days. All missed opportunities that I regret. But I did get to see so many! It's the ones that got away that rankle.
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 5:52am
Ric - I've never heard Michael McDonald.
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 5:54am
Jeff - those MI6 guys were really cool. I wonder if they released any albums?
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 5:56am
Burger - not a bad choice but I reckon The Who's Next is their best.
Ric Wells Added Jul 14, 2018 - 8:43am
Used to be with the Doobie Brothers.
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 9:54am
OK - sounds good.
Ric Wells Added Jul 14, 2018 - 9:57am
Was one of the founding members then went solo. Don't know why. Had dinner with him a few times and also played in a sound check with Mike and Pat.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 14, 2018 - 12:32pm
Not really sure why, but associated Coil with Simmons.  Will have t ask Simmons.  Music biz is a very small big industry, world-wide.
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 12:54pm
A lot of people do that - leave successful bands - it often ruins the band and those who leave are often not successful. Was it friction, musical direction or ego?
Ric Wells Added Jul 14, 2018 - 1:24pm
I think musical direction.
Ric Wells Added Jul 14, 2018 - 1:24pm
Never asked him nor will I.
Ryan Messano Added Jul 14, 2018 - 2:26pm

If you don't know your history,
then life will be a mystery,
While you are into your bands,
Your footprints aren't making marks on the shifting sands,
of Time.

We become what we focus on,
Those who focus on today and not beyond,
Stay stagnant, and get quite indignant,
When their problems stay steady and constant.

The shadow by my finger past, divides the future from the past,
behind it's unreturning line, the vanished hour no longer mine,
Before it lies the unknown hour, in shadows and beyond thine power,
One hour alone is in my hands,
the now on which the shadow stands.

If.  Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Ryan Messano Added Jul 14, 2018 - 2:28pm
Ryan Messano Added Jul 14, 2018 - 2:29pm
Ryan Messano Added Jul 14, 2018 - 2:30pm
opher goodwin Added Jul 14, 2018 - 3:06pm
Ric - yep there are some things you can't ask.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 14, 2018 - 4:44pm
Well, it had been a pleasant thread, but now it has attracted Geezus, now demanding reading Emerson,  Antigone and Civil D.   Guess the demands to read 55 bios of the foundering fathers is Off.  Ryan  thinks nobody has read anything, talks a lot but can't ever prove a word he writes.  Guess he figured his lengthy screed would ruin this, so had to.  Ryan has no concern or love of music or musicians, and should really concentrate on getting converts to "The First and Last Church of Ryan."  Ryan's husband Vinny won't even join.
Ric Wells Added Jul 14, 2018 - 5:01pm
Correct Opher. Felt the same way when I was in England. Went to the village of Wolverly. Stopped at the Queens Head Pub to ask for directions. Ran into none other than Robert Plant. Spent an hour with him talking about Wales Austin Texas and the album he did with Allison Kraus. Raising Sand. Didn't talk about Zeppelin or Page at all. Knew there were bad feelings between the two.
opher goodwin Added Jul 15, 2018 - 5:17am
Jeff - the brainwashed brat is a vexation. I wish he'd fuck off.
opher goodwin Added Jul 15, 2018 - 5:23am
Ric - quite an encounter. I always found those guys very friendly and approachable but you had to tread on eggshells on some topics. You generally knew what to tip-toe around. Egos create big clashes.
Ric Wells Added Jul 15, 2018 - 10:25am
Jeff I always did enjoy the music of Emerson Lake and Palmer.
Ric Wells Added Jul 15, 2018 - 10:36am
Listening to ELP led me to find Rick Wakeman and what I think is a masterful interpretation of Jules Verne's  Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 15, 2018 - 12:31pm
somebody asked about a thread Ryan's crap had ruined or spoiled.  This seems to qualify.  What does any of his screed have to do with music?  And it was obviously an attempt to make this another"We hate Ryan" thread.  Chuckled reading Ric Wells'encounter with Robert Plant.  An interesting guy and great musician.  His foray into world music has increased my respect.  And am trying to think how ashamed I'd be if Plant heard my Plant cover.  However we worked through transition from "Dirty Water", rolling right into "Heartbreaker."  Sounded real good and we got it smooth.  With luck, come performance, there won't be any problems to slow the set down.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 15, 2018 - 12:32pm
That was Ric talking about ELP, but always liked ELP too.
Ric Wells Added Jul 15, 2018 - 1:20pm
Listened to some Antigone. Quite interesting but I do like Jean Michel Jarre more.
opher goodwin Added Jul 15, 2018 - 2:00pm
I'm more into Blues based stuff but Stone likes progressive.
Ric Wells Added Jul 15, 2018 - 3:33pm
I enjoy all types of music. Depends on what I wish to listen to at the time. Right now playing Native Heart the spirit of the North American Indian.
wsucram15 Added Jul 15, 2018 - 10:07pm
Opher..I have a t-shirt that says "I got to see all the cool bands".
And I did. I missed Hendrix, the Beatles and Joplin. But they weren't my time. I love them still, but I wasn't old enough to see them live by the time they weren't here or a band.
But within a few years, I saw Zeppelin, PF, Ramones, McCartney and so many great ones, I cannot name them all. We have discussed that so many times...I have the stubs and they go on display in stores because the stuff is really historical and kids can see it up close.  Old time fliers- some signed, drum sticks, guitar picks, and tickets- some also signed.
A lot of that I lost in the restoration of the house somehow, but I still have some of it.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 16, 2018 - 9:27am
Hmmm Knew you had a fire that damaged your house, but didn't know your collection of musica suffered.  Was the loss due to fire, or lost during the rebuild.  How careless workers must have been to damage stuff, or was it simply stolen?  Not that it matters when it's gone.  Cool you get your collection displayed and enjoyed by others.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 16, 2018 - 5:49pm
LOVE all that stuff! Amazing that you got to experience so much of that raw power, up close and personal.
wsucram15 Added Jul 16, 2018 - 7:28pm
Jeff..I believe they cleaned the drumsticks and tickets (i cant look at the small amount returned, but my kids did). The rest mysteriously vanished.  The company went through everything, the stuff was in storage for over 6 months while insurance company and restoration company battled out differences.  What they brought back was 1/4 of what we had..there is nothing left.  They even took ALL the tools, glass cutters..everything.
Fortunately I kept good records and documented everything.  One of the things missing, my signed Nirvana drumstick. Everyone has bugged me to write Grohl about that..but he cant even replace that. Much of my punk stuff is gone. I cant talk about it anymore. Sorry.
We had to file suit. I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and remember something else I forgot to list. Its horrible.

wsucram15 Added Jul 16, 2018 - 7:37pm
The stuff that is left can still be enjoyed by the kids though. Its just not all the signed stuff and a lot of the collectible memorabilia. I actually think my son took it harder than I did.
opher goodwin Added Jul 18, 2018 - 4:19am
Ric - I like a wide range too. Depends, as you say, on mood.
opher goodwin Added Jul 18, 2018 - 4:21am
Jeanne - all that memorabilia means a lot to me too - they are so tied up with memories.
opher goodwin Added Jul 18, 2018 - 4:22am
Stephen - that's what Rock Music was for me - power, excitement and mental stimulation. I'm so glad I was there to see the best.
opher goodwin Added Jul 18, 2018 - 4:24am
Jeanne - I can only imagine how painful that way. I still mourn albums I have lost along the way.
wsucram15 Added Jul 18, 2018 - 1:49pm
Opher..it is the memories that you just cant touch anymore. You know? If it was just that..it might be tolerable..but they took everything of value.  It makes me sick, I have nightmares because over years you collect things. I mean they took unusual picture frames I had with pics of people in it I cant get back. comic books, my Steiff and handmade teddy bears I saved for the kids, every tool and some of my glass, albums, cds, China, furniture..its bad. I mean they gave me back two rooms of furniture, clothes and half empty boxes. Some of the stuff they gave back wasnt even ours. Im amazed but they returned every book, every single book- just not the shelves to hold them...lol.
If I would have known this..I would have rented my own storage and just cleaned it myself.  I swear to God.  This makes my heart hurt.
opher goodwin Added Jul 19, 2018 - 3:43am
Jeanne - surely you can sue their arses off??