The Beat Goes on XXIV

As many of you know, Writer Beat is in the process of being completely overhauled.  Below is the link to the where we're housing the new site.  In the not too distant future, this link will replace the current site.  After you create an account, kindly send me an email and I will manually activate your account.

More valuable than monetary contribution are your thoughts and feedback regarding the new site.  I'm not just talking about visual stuff.  Please go in and use the site.  Try uploading articles and submitting comments.  What doesn't work?

New Site: http://34.233.23.16/writerbeat/

My Email: AutumnCote@WriterBeat.com

I have included my list below and will updated it as I receive comments from all of you:

1) Below is the author profile page of an author that clicks on his or her name.  Better than anything I can say in words, click on the pencil and try to update information on yourself, such as your avatar.

We need to find a way to cut off displayed comments and articles but still provide a way to access all comments and articles.  Keep in mind, some people have written hundreds of articles and thousands of comments, so this page could go on forever without page numbers like we have on the current site.

2) Need to be able to add new authors via the admin page

3) Need to be able to suspend authors via the admin page

4) No articles are showing up on the manage articles section of the admin page

5) Writer Beat logo looks hazy

6) Fonts are too small when my screen is set to 100%.  I would increase everything by 20%  It's especially small on the article page

7) The tie breaker for all article rankings is submission date.  That is, older articles get ranked before newer articles.  Currently, after ranking based on the metrics chosen, our formula is putting the newer articles ahead of older articles.

8)  Top of homepage: It should be “Articles Ranked”

9) author page of anyone but yourself:  It should read “Recent Articles by Authors…”

10) Homepage: Too much white space between the end of the article and the bar for the comment section

11) We have three static pages on the bottom of the current site, that don’t exist on the new site.  They are:

About Writer Beat

Policies

FAQs

I think we need one page where we can house all that information.  The question is where to put the page and I’ll leave that up to you.  I would title the page: About Writer Beat

12) Internet Explorer login doesn’t work

13) Words are getting cut off in weird places.  For example If I write "understatement" I get "understate" on the first line and the "ment" on the following one.

14) When copying and pasting an article from a website, too much white space between lines of text is happening on Writer Beat.  Same is true when commenting.

15) When copying and pasting an article from word, I get the error message below.  Is that really necessary?  The paste worked, but it also had too much white space.  Same is true when commenting.

16) Take a look at the comment below.  I copied and pasted from word. Some very strange formatting going on.  Our system should be stripping all formatting from elsewhere.

17) The clock needs to be set to Eastern Standard Time.

Comments

Even A Broken Clock Added Jul 4, 2018 - 3:32pm
Thanks, Autumn, for all your work on this. I just tried to get on the new site and create a request for an account, but when I tried to go to the sign in by e-mail, it didn't seem to work. Either that or you've got multiple requests by me for an account.
Flying Junior Added Jul 4, 2018 - 4:34pm
The login page already knows my email(s) although I have not got in successfully yet.  Can you purge the memory for login attempts for a clean slate?  Wipe it clean and then give us more specific instructions on how to create an account.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 4, 2018 - 5:25pm
Flying Junior,
I just deleted your account.  Let me know after you've tried to login again and I'll activate the new one.

Clock,
Please try again, if you are who I think you are, your account should work now.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 4, 2018 - 9:44pm
Ok login works now :)

Do you also upload all the articles we have written ?
Stone-Eater Added Jul 4, 2018 - 9:46pm
BTW The articles are more important than the comments if one has to set priorities IMHO.
Leroy Added Jul 4, 2018 - 10:14pm
The only issue I had was that Firefox didn't like using an insecure password.  It let me continue anyway.  I assume that at some point, there will be a secure login.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 4, 2018 - 10:30pm
Btw it would be cool if each author could download all his articles in a zip file. Up to now i can only "save page as PDF" one after the other. But maybe i ask for too much.
James Travil Added Jul 4, 2018 - 10:44pm
I registered by email earlier this evening. Still waiting for a response.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 5, 2018 - 12:32am
James,
Your account on the new platform is now active.

Stone,
I'm as concerned as you about potentially losing articles following the conversion.  The problem is that the current database of articles is a mess and it's going to be difficult.  If it works out that we can't transfer the articles, I'll let you know.
James Travil Added Jul 5, 2018 - 12:51am
Thanks Autumn, I was able to sign-in and will explore the site. Although I have only written four articles like Stone I hope that either the articles will transfer, or (another idea) maybe they can be linked to the old site. Just a suggestion. I'm sure this will impact people who have been here for a while more than me.
Ward Tipton Added Jul 5, 2018 - 12:52am
Just an observation ... the Copyright date still refers to 2017.

Why do I have this Sonny and Cher song beating incessantly at my brain now?
Ward Tipton Added Jul 5, 2018 - 12:57am
Is it possible that a Private Message system will be installed at any time in the near future? With room to block or to decide who can message given some of the more contentious elements of the site ... on both sides of the political partying aisle?
EXPAT Added Jul 5, 2018 - 1:49am
Autumn. My attempts to create an account are met with a black circle and slash. Neither my old email, or the new one I try to use work.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 5, 2018 - 3:39am
Autumn

Ok thanks :)
Autumn Cote Added Jul 5, 2018 - 6:10am
Ward,
I'm very hesitant to add any new features to the site.  It's hard enough getting them to include everything I value from the current site.

Expat,
I'm not saying this to be mean, but you're the only one having difficulty seeing the site and registering an account.  I'm not sure what you're doing but it's obviously something different than everyone else.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 5, 2018 - 7:15am
Bill H. Added Jul 5, 2018 - 11:34am
It won't let me sign up, as it says my email already exists.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 5, 2018 - 11:42am
Bill

Open a new account and that's it.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 5, 2018 - 1:57pm
Stone,
In italics is what you wrote on the site via your article and in regular font is my reply:

BTW: Profile cannot edited, no button there to get to the home page when in profile (no menu visible).
Just click the logo to get to the homepage.  the profile page can be edited by clicking the pencil in the top left hand corner of the profile page.

Profile photo does not show, although "saved".
Good Catch…added it to the body of my article

BTW: Words are cut, as you can see in the article.
I’m not sure what you mean

Bill H,
Please try logging in again and then send me an email after the attempt.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 5, 2018 - 2:05pm
Autumn

I filled in the fields in the profile page and uploaded the photo. Then clicked "save". At first it seemed ok, but when I went back to the main page the profile photo wasn't there.

What I mean by "cutting words" is that the line break doesn't work. If I write for example "understatement" I get "understate" on the first line and the "ment" on the following one. The program doesn't recognize properly the words.

I'll try again.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 5, 2018 - 2:12pm
BTW: Birthday can not be edited. Apparently that's needed. Profile photo can be uploaded but does not appear as avatar afterwards.

James E. Unekis Added Jul 5, 2018 - 4:00pm
Autumn,

Thanks for all of your work.  When I try Sign up it tell me email already exists.   So I try Sign in says Email and password doesn't match.  Any ideas?
Autumn Cote Added Jul 5, 2018 - 4:14pm
Bill,
Basically what's happening is that people are logging in and then I need to manually activate accounts, as the email system is not sending you an email to do it yourself.  In your case, I see no record of an account with your name waiting to be activated.  So please try signing up again.

James,
I just activated your account.  You should be all set.

Stone,
The profile screen is a total mess, thanks for alerting of it.

Bill H. Added Jul 5, 2018 - 5:22pm
Autumn - Still getting exactly what James Unekis is getting. Tried both signing in and signing up on both browsers (IE and FireFox.
James Travil Added Jul 5, 2018 - 7:44pm
I'm using Chrome on my computer and Puffin on my phone and it's working fine. Just a suggestion, maybe try one of those.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 6, 2018 - 4:51am
Bill,
Your account should work now.  I just switched it to active.
Bill H. Added Jul 6, 2018 - 12:31pm
Works great on FireFox, but on IE, I get a small red circle with a line thru it at the cursor location when I hit the sign-in button.
Thanks, Autumn!
Flying Junior Added Jul 6, 2018 - 8:02pm
I still get 'EMAIL ALREADY EXIST"
Autumn Cote Added Jul 7, 2018 - 6:53am
To all,
The Internet Explorer login is broken, thanks Bill for alerting me to the issue.

Flying Junior,
I just deleted the account I had for you in the new system.  Please try signing up again.  The system won't send you an activation email, so after signing up, send me an email and I will activate your account manually.
Flying Junior Added Jul 7, 2018 - 11:49pm
K
Autumn Cote Added Jul 8, 2018 - 5:33am
Flying Junior,
I don't see another signup attempt by you.  In other words, there is still is no account for me to activate.

To all,
I just added a bunch more stuff to this article, meaning I'm noticing a lot of other issues on the new site.   Certainly there are more that you folks could sniff out if you spent some time trying.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 8, 2018 - 2:19pm
High Autumn.
I have set up an account. Now I think you have to authorize?
Autumn Cote Added Jul 8, 2018 - 9:39pm
Stephen,
That's correct...authorized.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 9, 2018 - 11:17am
It is that simple! I will look around and provide feedback back at first glance the landing page looks good.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 9, 2018 - 7:32pm
Please do.  So far the only person that has rolled up their sleeves and offered me a significant amount of good feedback is Stone.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 10, 2018 - 6:58am
I left a couple of comments on this same post on the new site. However I am not experienced on the technical side of things but will report what I observe.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Jul 10, 2018 - 7:24am
I completed the sign up page Autumn.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 10, 2018 - 9:39am
Jeffry,
I don't see an account needing activation.  Please try signing up again.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jul 10, 2018 - 11:13am
Looks good. I haven't tried to log in.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 10, 2018 - 11:47am
Any thoughts about having the most recent comment appear first? (so one does not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post for the most recent comment)
Autumn Cote Added Jul 10, 2018 - 12:48pm
Stephen,
Please limit your comments to what doesn't work or operates differently than the current site.  Once the new site launches, we can discuss changes.  On your suggestion, I like sites that allow users to sort the comments however they want to see them.

Tamara,
Thanks, but I'm hoping you (everyone for that matter) would expend a little more effort and find stuff to add to my list.  So far Stone is the only one.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 10, 2018 - 12:57pm
Autumn, would you rather I leave those comments here or on this duplicate post in the new site?
Autumn Cote Added Jul 10, 2018 - 2:15pm
Stephen,
Please offer your thoughts in this comment thread.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 10, 2018 - 5:04pm
Autumn

Ryboy has succeeded. I'm too tired to be a member of a site that's being taken over by complete idiots. Count me out. Sorry.
Leroy Added Jul 10, 2018 - 7:14pm
I posted a test article.  Maybe it was mentioned it already, but it is not evident how to edit an article.  I posted the article at 19:00.  The time of the post shows 04:36.

That's my two cents so far.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 10, 2018 - 8:39pm
Stone,
Ryan is no more in control of Writer Beat than when he originally joined.  Why is it so difficult for you and others to simply ignore him if you don't like what he has to say?

Leroy,
Good catch.  #17 is thanks to you.
James Travil Added Jul 10, 2018 - 10:01pm
Well I'm not going anywhere, that's how they (Ryan and trolls like him) win. Since Stone was named as one of us four (Horsemen of the Apocalypse?) and he is a great member of the group I really wish he would stick around also. But I digress and this is off topic..

Autumn I've been busy with work and other things but I plan to look more into the new site this weekend. Otherwise all I've seen that doesn't work for me is the avatar selection thing.
TexasLynn Added Jul 10, 2018 - 10:17pm
Autumn,
Tried to sign up... waiting for the email... Do something if you need to activate my account.  I'll give it a spin.
TL
Michael B. Added Jul 11, 2018 - 12:06am
Hi Autumn! I checked out the new site briefly, and I'll give it more attention when I can. It's been my practice for a long time to let the suckers break their teeth on new stuff, but once I get my hands on it, I'll kick the tires and run the piss out of it and then let you know what I think, publically of course. Regarding the recent wave of people quitting and/or wanting more "regulation" of the site, I stand firmly with you with respect to the freedom of speech that you provide the rest of us...Thank You Autumn!!!! As combative as others and myself have been, I never considered for a picosecond banning or expelling someone from here; quite the opposite! For better and/or for worse, I continue to enjoy the colorful and colorless characters and caricatures that I've encountered here!

For those who want to go, all I have to offer is this:

EXPAT Added Jul 11, 2018 - 2:36am
Autumn.
Expat,

Using your logic, and not being mean, your new site is the only one I have trouble accessing, including your old site. Obviously your new site is different from the old, and every other site on the internet!

It is also obvious that you don't give a shit if I stay or go, so please delete my account!
Autumn Cote Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:34am
TexasLynn,
Your account on the new platform has been activated.

Michael,
The gratitude is mine.

Expat,
The new site doesn't work on Internet Explorer.  If you used a different browser, it works.  When we launch, I'm sure it will work on Explorer.  I do give a shit and would very much like for you to stay.  However, should you still wish to have your account deleted, which account, the one on this platform or the new platform?
Autumn Cote Added Jul 11, 2018 - 4:37am
James,
My bad, I forgot to issue you a response.  Stone holds many Writer Beat records and has been its best participant by far.  So I too would very much like for him to stay.  The avatar issue has already been addressed in the list of issues above, but thanks for pointing it out.
Stephen Hunter Added Jul 11, 2018 - 8:39am
When editing profile, the date of birth does not work.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 9:19am
Autumn

Ok. But it is difficult to ignore someone who regularly fucks up every thread he comes across and whose only purpose of being here is to insult others.
rycK the JFK Democrat Added Jul 11, 2018 - 9:38am
Looks good so far.
Ian Thorpe Added Jul 11, 2018 - 10:07am
Hi Autumn,
I set up my account as Ian Thorpe, using my edbuttuk@yahoo.com email as it would not accept the one I use on this site.
When I tried to sign in I was advised to activate my account via the email address I'd used. Tried that, no activation memo, waited 20 minutes, still nothing.
Ian Thorpe Added Jul 11, 2018 - 10:45am
Anyone looking for an easy way to save their WB articles should note that Wordpress blogs can be used as a content management system, displaying your articles as they appear or in clunky but usable html.
I started doing it with my posts but as WB is very slow for me I'll spread the task over a few days.
Most people will be familiar with the moves, but if anyone wants to know how, give me a shout.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 11:35am
Ian

I save my articles on my phone as PDF and can transfer them to PC afterwards.. Quite easy. But I'm not sure if I have saved all....but most, anyway.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 11, 2018 - 2:57pm
Stephen,
Good catch.  However, we did already address that problem in #1.

Stone,
When ignored, kindly direct me to one comment thread Ryan ruined.  I pose that question not conceding he ruined any comment thread.

Ian,
Your account on the new platform is now active.
Stone-Eater Added Jul 11, 2018 - 5:00pm
Autumn

Every thread he comments on and insults people is a ruined one in some way. It loses quality. And most of us only react to his insults but don't start them.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 11, 2018 - 8:32pm
Autumn, tried and couldn't get on.  It wouldn't let me register.  It does recognize my e-mail.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 11, 2018 - 9:52pm
Jeffrey,
Please try logging in again. I will still need to manually activate your account after you try.
Michael B. Added Jul 12, 2018 - 1:17am
"Michael, the gratitude is mine."

You're most welcome, sugar! And thank you for the backhanded compliment and damnation by faint praise, lol!
Flying Junior Added Jul 12, 2018 - 1:36am
Does it work with Mozilla Firefox?
Michael B. Added Jul 12, 2018 - 2:05am
Hi again Autumn,

I went to the new site and didn't see a login. I picked an article and saw that the comment space was open, which I interpreted as me being logged on it already, but when I commented on a test post, I was prompted with the hitherto hidden login screen. I also got the "E-mail already exists".
Autumn Cote Added Jul 12, 2018 - 4:45am
Jeffry,
I just activated your account.

Michael,
I'm not sure how that's a backhanded compliment and damnation.  It's just the thing I say to any user of this site that ever thanks me.  You helped me figure out what the problem is.  Every user account was moved to the new site (not articles and comments).  So for you to use the new site I need to delete you, then you need to create a new account and then I need to manually activate it.  I just deleted you in the new site, please try logging in again.

Flying Junior,
Bill H. Added Jul 13, 2018 - 12:16am

FJ - It's working fine for me on Firefox, but I am unable to login on IE.
Leroy Added Jul 13, 2018 - 8:08am
Firefox works fine for me too, but it did complain about it being an insecure website when I was creating the password.  The first time, it didn't let me pass.  Perhaps I missed a selection to allow me to continue.  The second time it allowed me to continue.  Since then, all is well.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 13, 2018 - 9:28am
Tried out the site.  I wrote my own test article.  I noticed my profile picture didn’t load.  I also noticed that words do not “wrap around” so words were cut off on comments.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 14, 2018 - 9:58am
Leroy,
I think the new website will be secure.  I think the current one isn't is a major impediment to finding new participants.

Jeffry,
Good catches.  For whatever it's worth, both were previously identified in #1 and #13.

Recent Articles by Writers Autumn Cote follows.