I Love to Hate

Hate quotes are everywhere.  The Internet is loaded with them.  Many are created by celebrities trying to be clever.  Many more are created by philosophers. Others are biblical.  Some are fantastic; most are stupid. Check them out.

Did you know the usage of “hate” in the literature has tripled in the last twenty years*?  Hate is becoming ever more popular.  Here are few manufactured at my little factory of convolution – except for the Perry Mason quote, which I like.

• Hate is the swizzle stick of discontent. (And after it stirs things up, it pollutes.)
  • Some people tend a garden of hatred, fertilizing their crops with coarse and vile thought.
  • “Hate has a taste all its own that fills your throat and chokes you.” --- The Perry Mason Show, The Nervous Accomplice.
  • Hate destroys - the self when internal, others when external.
  • “I hate the weather,” is not hate, but merely a rebuke.
  • They say hate is an emotion, but it is also a fuel.
  • Hate is expected to be a bumper crop this election year.
  • While we enjoy films about love, both found and lost, or lost then found, we love films about hate, through rage, vengeance, retribution, all with the common denominator of violence – lots of it.

*Check out the Google ngram viewer.

Comments

Autumn Cote Added Jul 23, 2018 - 8:46am
Please note, it's against the rules to post articles to Writer Beat unless you comment on the work of others.
Autumn Cote Added Jul 23, 2018 - 1:30pm
I see that you offered some comments...thank you.  Please note, your article would a lot more readable if you added some white space between paragraphs. I would also add some white space between bullet points.  Are you aware you can edit any previously submitted article?
Ryan Messano Added Jul 23, 2018 - 4:42pm
Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.

’No man is hated more than he who tells the truth’
Plato
James Travil Added Jul 23, 2018 - 5:18pm
Hate sounds like hate to those who know the truth.
Don Allen Added Jul 23, 2018 - 6:19pm
Hate is like anchovies.  Just a little gives big flavor to the serving.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 23, 2018 - 8:40pm

RM:"Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth."

"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil."

But thats just truth.

Now for some of that old timey Christian Love:

RM:"
 If you want the right to vote, then GO EDUCATE YOURSELF, YOU LAZY HUSSY"

Mustafa

Ryan Messano Added Jul 23, 2018 - 9:23pm
Biographies, Mufasa, Get busy.
Ryan Messano Added Jul 23, 2018 - 9:24pm
I start out basic, because without the basics, you liberals have amazing imaginations and come up with all kinds of crazy ideas.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 23, 2018 - 10:28pm
Ryan Mango Worm Messano knows how to hate, but suffers from a total lack of facts or truth.  He's still issuing orders to Mustafa from his bunker, demanding he read "the 5 bios."  Imagine the damage you'll inflict on other people's children.  Nobody tells you how to raise the turd you and Vinny sired.
James Travil Added Jul 23, 2018 - 11:21pm
Well remember hate is a dish best served up cold, er, wait that's revenge not hate. Close enough. Anyway that's what the Klingons say, er, wait that's the Chinese. Close enough. Hate leads to the Dark Side, Jedi Master Yoda said that I'm certain.
Don Allen Added Jul 24, 2018 - 7:01am
Many authors maintain that hate is contagious.  Perhaps.  If it is a disease, it is one from which only a few are immune, and possibly even fewer recover.

Anyway, that's what Jedi Master Yoda told me.
opher goodwin Added Jul 24, 2018 - 10:02am
There's a lot of hate about!!
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 24, 2018 - 4:31pm
Opher,
re:"There's a lot of hate about!!"

Indeed, it is very popular.

I even find  many Christians who justify its practice.
However,  I cant find anyone to tell me what good comes of it.

Mustafa

Don Allen Added Jul 24, 2018 - 5:05pm
Mustafa,  Not much good results.  Like many drugs, it tends toward addiction.  It's like a pill one might take every day even if they wished they didn't.
In time, a few develop an insatiable thirst or a hunger for hate --- such as for the creeps on the left or the creeps on the right.
James E. Unekis Added Jul 24, 2018 - 7:23pm
For all who define hate speech as anything they disagree with - and especially those who wish to make certain speech illegal just remember one thing.  The definition of what is and is not hate speech is determined by those in power.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 24, 2018 - 7:24pm
Don,
re:" Like many drugs, it tends toward addiction."

Its worse than that. Its contagious.

James E. Unekis Added Jul 24, 2018 - 7:30pm
Mustafa,

Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 24, 2018 - 7:48pm
James,

I wasnt speaking of hate speech, I was speaking of hate.

re:"Many Christian are full of hate speech while many Muslims adopt more loving tactics like rape, beheadings and bombings, right?"
Not exactly. Or Exactly Not.

I was saying that many Christians that I know justify hate, not hate speech, there is a difference.

Regarding those more loving tactics you describe,  hate will make people do many terrible things, that is true. The prolonged  massive destruction in the ME has generated alot of hate. Yes.

Mustafa say Hate not Good

Jeff Michka Added Jul 24, 2018 - 7:51pm
Yeah, that's it, Unikiss….Let',s bring back the Crusades.  No rapes, beheadings or mass destruction occurred then, cause "we" were all Xtains, of course.  Ask Ryan.  H e faltered trying to "debate a Muslim" on how loving each faith was, lost his head and ran away.
Mark Hunter Added Jul 25, 2018 - 4:26am
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't love to spread hate on the internet. Then I realize: I hate hate. Someone, somewhere, is sure to insist that if I speak out against hate, that makes me a hater. That's how bad it's gotten.
Don Allen Added Jul 25, 2018 - 8:30am
Mark, you are almost certainly correct.
Jeff is still working on his GED.  Hoping for you.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 25, 2018 - 7:08pm
Donny Allen does even have a GED.  I'm not hoping for you Donny, you are just another moronic rightists, pretending to be human.  So what is ol Mark rattling on about?
MEFOBILLS Added Jul 25, 2018 - 11:58pm
Mustafa say Hate not Good

Mustafa is an advanced humanoid, who has decided to do the right thing when nobody is looking.

Hate not good.  I will add, being in denial is also not good.
Especially this idea that every race is the same.  To deny this is hate.  It is hate on a cosmic mind bending scale.

15000 white south african farmers want to leave SA. (Because they are being murdered by haters.) Each farmer supports 2000 people.  That is 60,000 people, who will be without food.

But, the racial egalitarians will yell... oh but the negroes can do the farming work.  Really?  What is the evidence for that.  There is no evidence other than some sort of virtue signaling implanted hypnosis, and this hypnosis will directly lead to death on a cosmic scale.

Those of us that speak out are not haters.  You know who you are, the virtue signaling liberals on WB who reject the fact that there is evolutionary bio-diversity, and that there are different kinds of humans with different group IQ's and proclivities.  It is simply nature experimenting with hominids and filling environmental niches.  Are you now going to get mad and call out nature for being racist?

Every human has a choice, they can choose good or evil.  They must choose.

MEFOBILLS Added Jul 25, 2018 - 11:59pm
Correction 60 million people, six zeroes.
MEFOBILLS Added Jul 26, 2018 - 12:00am
Correction 30 million people- to many beers.  But you get my point.  A lot of death because of hate and stupidity.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 26, 2018 - 2:47pm
MEFOBILLS,
re:" I will add, being in denial is also not good."
Indeed,  Mustafa also say Denial not Good.

However,
this" Especially this idea that every race is the same. To deny this is hate."
I have to disagree with. Hate has an emotional quality that  blinds  and causes sickness in the hater and  inspires hatred in the hated.

But more to what think is your real point, Hate is not  the only evil. Ignorance is truly deadly and causes massive injustice.

Regarding,  "Those of us that speak out are not haters." Now we are moving from "hating" to hate speaking, which I was hoping to avoid.

Let me just say,
IMO, whether speaking out is hate or not depends on what is spoken.
Just because some may find some speech offensive certainly does not imply that that speech is hateful. Moreover,  speaking  ones beliefs (hateful or not!)  is the  type of communication that we are sorely in need of.

However, have you not noticed, when people get angry with what you say that the communication stops? They get blinded and their anger is destroying the possible benefits of communicating with you. Anger is Hatred's first cousin.

Mustafa
Don Allen Added Jul 26, 2018 - 3:07pm
Distinguishing good from evil requires a morality or ethic. This makes them more difficult than the more emotional love and hate.
Have a few more quotes:
>>When citizens stop loving their children, they stop loving their country.
>>Hate does not make best friends, but does create co-haters.
>>A bond built on hate is weak.
>>The hateful person is eventually hated.
>>Some develop a thirst for hate.  Filling an emotional need, it substitutes for love.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 26, 2018 - 8:45pm
Per MEFOBILLS comment,
The Three Poisons
MEFOBILLS Added Jul 26, 2018 - 10:04pm
Mustafa,
I'm coming the realization that some hatred comes from an emotional state of the hind brain.  Some  haters actually get a dopamine rush.  They strike out emotionally, and also "how dare you" say that, and so on, as their supposedly morally superior stand allows the dopamine needed. Michka is a good example of this type.

Also, hatred could come from a long train of usurpation's.  For example, if your family was drone killed, then hatred would be a normal response.  You would hate drones, and the people pulling the trigger.

From the three poisons:

They get mad at me because my words resonate in some deep corner of their mind. Some words get through.  Then other kinder souls like you can come along and be a guide.  I'm not that guide, but more like a synthesizer for others who do have the capability to understand.  I know there are people who cannot accept things.  For whatever reason, they cannot go there - so they clamp their ears shut.  They take the blue pill and go back to sleep.

My warning about south africa will be met with derision, and then when the dystopian future comes true... well that Mefobills was crazy wasn't he?

I don't hate, but I am more viciously logical than most people.  Logic has a kind of faceted hard edged quality to it that softer people don't want to accept.

Sometimes you have to fight, a group hug is not going to solve the problem.

James Travil Added Jul 26, 2018 - 10:40pm
"Some haters actually get a dopamine rush. They strike out emotionally, and also "how dare you" say that, and so on, as their supposedly morally superior stand allows the dopamine needed. Michka is a good example of this type."
That's how the Sith operate. Who knew Michka was a Sith Lord! Darth Michka!!! LOL!
Mark Hunter Added Jul 27, 2018 - 12:35am
So, hatred is an addiction? That explains a lot.
Mustafa Kemal Added Jul 27, 2018 - 7:05pm
MEFOBILLS,

IMO, you are correct in the addictive dopamine thrill of hate and hate  being generated as a response to abuse. There are many sources for the generation of hatred. IMO, for the latter case, sometimes, justice can be a cure if the hater is not yet completely blind.

re:
My warning about south africa will be met with derision, and then when the dystopian future comes true..”
Not from anyone paying attention. Indeed the situation is dire and indeed the disease of hate is front and center. A perfect example of hate not good.

re:“To antidote and overcome hatred, we learn to cultivate loving-kindness, compassion, patience, and forgiveness.

The above antidotes do not mean "roll over" and put up with nonsense.  You actually love by putting some people back in their box where they cannot do harm.  This can be construed as hate. Sometimes you have to fight, a group hug is not going to solve the problem.”

Indeed.
From you, I expect that you know that I dont think being compassionate means being nice. Or getting in group hugs.

And you are correct in that part of our societal delusion is  being ignorant of realities, and sometime the realities are such   that one must fight. Vietnam’s Buddhists did just that to kick out the US. They fought. BTW, from what I hear they also practice forgiveness and have forgiven us.

Finally, this is something that I got very young from my father. When he returned from commanding a mechanized infantry battalion in the mekong in 1968 I asked him: “ Dad, what is charlie like?” expecting the usual demonization as  a gook  who doesnt value his own life. His response was; “when I see them, I see my sons”  This stunned me and I said, “so how can you kill them?” He said, “oh, thats my job,  I also have to preserve the lives of my soldiers”

Mustafa

MEFOBILLS Added Jul 27, 2018 - 8:13pm

Wow, that is amazing.  Your dad was an advanced human - you were lucky.