The Beat Goes On XXV

The Beat Goes On XXV
  • 580
  • 108
  • 10

A new user recently offered me a list of suggestions regarding the site and asked me about my goals, to which I replied:

My goal with Writer Beat is for it to generate enough revenue so that I can quit my job and work on it full time. From there, the sky is the limit. Right now, the only time I have is when I'm bored at work or have downtime at home.

Before we begin a discussion on all the tweaks that will enhance the site's desirability, let me preface by saying that even if everything worked the way both you and I liked, I don't think the site will have economic value. Something major needs to change to grow the site to where it can attract investors or advertisers. I don't think any of your suggestions will bring us to that point. I've been working on this for 6 years and nothing I've done has brought me to that point either. So do you want to discuss tweaking the site or should we first have a conversation on the big picture?

The new user replied with the following and my response will be in the comment thread:

I imagined that Writer Beat would sort of take up that Disqus mantle - and be the place where the little guy can write an essay and get responses from similar people. I think that basic format could become quite a bit more successful than it is, but I don't know if that is the direction you want it to go or how far down the road 'Disqus-clone' Writer Beat can take you. I do know that part of what attracted me to Disqus is there in Writer Beat, and what's missing that way is a lot of little things that are doable on a shoe-string budget and not much time. It would then exist as a stand-alone website selling advertising to make money, and possibly selling channels like disqus did (although those were not a big money maker). I assume Disqus is only abandoning this because its embedded comment system is making big bucks now.

That is what I thought the big picture was, but it isn't my big picture we are talking about - its yours. I am no seer, and I am not even a website expert. I am a power user who knows what features I would want from your website, and I assume that if you give me these things other people will appreciate them too, but that is just a hope.

Do you see the same things I do? What is your vision of what Writer Beat is supposed to be? Do you think that vision, well-executed, will be a success in this market, or is it running up against more established competition in a losing battle?

My experience is that a website that is doing well can explode. Maybe not overnight, but it will grow in an exponential way (more followers tell their friends who tell more) faster and faster and faster. Your frustration with Writer Beat is justified. You have probably tried a lot of things, and it has not taken off yet. And maybe what needs to be done for it to take off is not what you want to be doing. Maybe nothing we try will allow it to take off.

If you like my vision, I can talk you through that. If you explain your vision, I can talk you through that. I cannot make those decisions for you, and I cannot promise success. Writer Beat needs changed, it will not bloom as it sits now.

Comments

Autumn Cote Added Aug 6, 2018 - 2:16pm
You and I see eye to eye on Writer Beat’s unique niche. Piggy backing off your comments, too many people are posting their political opinions on Facebook and in doing so are breaking a golden rule: NEVER TALK POLITICS WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

While I do think Writer Beat is well-executed, I have plenty I’d like to fix and enhancements I’d like to make.  However, I don’t want to have that discussion.  I want to talk about the big picture / vision and I still haven’t read anything from you I’d label “big.”  Allow me to give you a few thoughts I’ve been throwing around with my partner/brother:

1) Get rid of the website and become a page on Medium.  All of our technical glitches would be resolved if we integrated with Medium. Make money from Medium by being a great source of traffic to Medium.

2) Get rid of our comment system and go with Disqus.  Should a Disqus user wish to post become an author, look to charge a fee for the service of enhanced exposure.
Lindsay Wheeler Added Aug 6, 2018 - 3:02pm
Interesting.
HpO Added Aug 6, 2018 - 3:33pm
No offense but kindly explain the (ever) presence of Neo-Nazis at Writer Beat.  Or oops is that a taboo to ask?
opher goodwin Added Aug 6, 2018 - 3:44pm
I don't know Autumn. This is an interesting site. How to make money out of it is beyond my ken.
Autumn Cote Added Aug 6, 2018 - 3:44pm
HpO,
Unlike other websites, Writer Beat doesn't discriminate based on what you say.  In other words, if it wasn't for censorship on other websites, there probably would be a lot more Neo-Nazi speech.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 6, 2018 - 3:51pm
Autumn:
     It might take more effort and an initial investment but publish  a collection of the most viewed and/or best articles as a book or magazine for profit.
     Then put out a collection of the best articles every year.
    If an article from a Writer is included, pay them a small royalty from the book sales.
    The Writers would appreciate the reward or incentive.
The Mogget Added Aug 6, 2018 - 3:54pm
@Autumn
I agree about the family thing. I quit using Facebook because I seemed to be continually stirring up trouble with the very people I want peace with. A key benefit of anonymous forums is the ability to separate the message from the messenger.

I wasn't aware the Medium was amateur-friendly. I will have to look around more, but it looks like most of it comes from pros who are already publishing. I might go there to read things, but I am not sure I am ready to compete there as a writer. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places?

If Writer Beat is its amateur-writer-friendly structure, then going to Medium would harm it. Incorporating Disqus tech in the comment system would give some advanced features while keeping the layout as it is.

If there was enough time and attention, one could do both. Major media outlets have their own pages as well as a presence on Facebook, Youtube, and other networks. If creating a page on Medium is not that difficult, then it could be an experiment. Top Authors could have their article up both places at your discretion.

@HpO,
There is quite a bit of hate speech out there and I think that is ok. Usually those with hate speech find their way to a hate speech community of sorts. They are still sharing their ideas on the internet, just not around those who are sharing their own ideas in another place. Each site or community often enforces a set of rules, and pretty soon they get the sort of clientele they were going for.

Hate speech is just very visible here because it shares the same space as everyone else, and that community is very active, so they pop to the top. Freedom has its downsides, and most sites aren't as free speech as they appear. Aggressive moderation is common on sites from online gaming to magazine comment sections.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:24pm
Autumn:
   For example, I wrote a song that was played on local radio. A company in Hollywood, Ca sent me a contract to record my song, where I retained the copyright but they would record it a try to get it into record stores or into a television commercial and I would be paid a royalty.
    You must have thousands of submissions(articles that were submitted) to choose from.
     I think this feature would also generate much more interest from writers to submit articles for the website.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:28pm
Barath's idea is good. But being swallowed by a bigger site isn't. And WB lives off the comment section to a large degree....
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:37pm
Okay, then don't publish the comments, only the best articles. For the debates and comments people have to go to the website.
HpO Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:46pm
This quote - essentially truthful or not - has been bugging me from Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist, August 11, 2017, "Writer Beat — BEWARE!!!":

"You have to be careful about sneaky little neo-Nazis like Autumn Cote."

Please comment.

Even if it's only for my sake, clearing the air on this matter would do much good, going forward.

Thank you, Autumn.
wsucram15 Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:47pm
I comment the same on discus that I do here. If it will make you money then do it. This is also a private "writers page" so this is really a problem. The people that are on here really like it but from the outside it looks like an argument, all the time, every day.
I have tried to get writers on here and while they look, and one or two actually read the page often, they do not want to engage the way it is set up now.

wsucram15 Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:50pm
What I meant by that is the insults and people not commenting on actual writing or composition, stuff like that.  We have a couple of authors who post for editing or suggestions.
Other pages do that..and thats where they go.
Autumn Cote Added Aug 6, 2018 - 4:57pm
Barath,
Based on how hard it’s been to get all of you to read each other’s articles, I doubt such a book would be an easy sell.  I also hate the idea of me (anyone) deciding which threads/articles are so good that they should be published.  Many thanks for the suggestion, it was definitely original.

Mogget,
The problem with being an unknown author and using Medium is that you likely will have a terrible time of finding readers.  After all, starting a blog is easy, the hard part is finding people to read it.  Writer Beat does the hard part for you.  If I ran Medium I'd employ the same tactcics I use here.  I’m simply suggesting we do the same thing we’re doing now, but on Medium.

It’s not possible to use the Disqus commenting system on Medium.  If Medium were smart, they’d let Disqus run their commenting.   I doubt we could have a Medium platform and separate website run at the same time.  If we go the Medium route, it will likely mean Writer Beat goes away as a separate website.

Stone,
I know what you mean about being swallowed but the situation is critical.  At any time this site could crash and I have nobody to fix it.  Not to mention the fact I've been doing this for 6 years and haven't made a dime.  So it may be time for something drastic.  I agree 100%, Writer Beat is what it is because of healthy commenting by our users.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 6, 2018 - 5:03pm
Autumn:
    Okay, but in any case you could employ a computer algorithm weighting up votes, with views and number of comments and then select the ones you think are not good enough to throw out.
    Impersonal selection, with human direction.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 6, 2018 - 5:08pm
Add a couple choices of your own as editors selections. That would give it some human discretion so that it's fair.
    If you publish a good book, then you've done good and promoted the art of writing, and finding a promoting new writers and unnoticed talent.

Autumn Cote Added Aug 6, 2018 - 5:09pm
HpO,
While I do have a political persuasion and an opinion about neo-Nazis, nobody on this platform will ever know what my political persuasion is or how I feel about any controversial matter.  It’s imperative, for the health of Writer Beat, I stay as neutral as possible on all matters.

wsucram15,
Political discourse will always look like an argument because most of the people that comment are those that disagree with what an author has written.  On actual writing or composition, that stuff hardly ever gets any comment activity.  That's true here and everywhere else for that matter.

Barath,
Upvotes, if we had them, usually have nothing to do with the quality of the comment and everything to do with the political persuasion of the person doing the voting.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 6, 2018 - 5:36pm
Autumn:
    Sorry, I should have said 'likes'.
By including likes it would show the other writers in the community of writers had liked your article.
    That's gives the community a voice in the system do that it's not just purely democratic.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 6, 2018 - 6:01pm
Autumn

I understand that. But consider that the "family feeling" we have here will be largely lost on a merger and it will become less personal. No doubt. That special flair it has will be lost, and I'm afraid many regulars will leave. But maybe new writers will come in larger numbers depending on how the comments will be handled. No clue, really. Maybe a test run as part of s bigger site while THIS one is still on will show ?
wsucram15 Added Aug 6, 2018 - 9:04pm
im with SEF..you have to try.
Autumn Cote Added Aug 6, 2018 - 9:19pm
Barath,
Even though the site's default sort order is recent likes/recommendations, I still see it as more a popularity contest than gauge of writing quality.  The problem is that I don't there is a better metric to sort the articles.

Stone & wsucram15,
If the site grows significantly, you can be sure the family feeling will be gone.  I think most people will appreciate the fact they'll reach a much wider audience than the audience they're currently reaching.   I wouldn't worry about anything happening quickly, at this juncture all we're doing is crossing our fingers the site doesn't crash, while we loosely toss around thoughts about the future.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Aug 6, 2018 - 10:16pm
Disqus censors both content and point of view. Bad idea. As always best wishes for whatever direction you decide to go.
Michael B. Added Aug 6, 2018 - 10:36pm
AC, it sounds like WB is circling the drain once again! No matter, I'll stick with you until the bitter end!
James Travil Added Aug 6, 2018 - 10:43pm
I agree with Jeffry about Disqus. Medium isn't much better. One of my ladies got "permanently suspended" from Medium (although, and to her credit, she guilted the moderator into reinstalling her) for a ridiculous spat she got into with a troll (who started the conflict). I like the "wild west" feel of this site, it's what attracted me to it. I'm very choosy about where I spend my time online.Ultimately I consider Disqus somewhat tolerable, depending on the site that is using it, and Medium simply too PC for my tastes whatsoever.
James Travil Added Aug 6, 2018 - 10:46pm
On a unrelated note, the submission button obviously works just fine here, you just have to hit it ONCE then quit. I published my most recent article with no trouble and no duplicates :)
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 4:05am
Jeffry/Michael/Jeanne

When censorship creeps in on a site Stone walks out LOL

....but I was never on another blog and don't have the intention to do it. I'm with you and the rest of the friends on that :)
FacePalm Added Aug 7, 2018 - 6:40am
Autumn-
As a practical matter, you might wish to look into a "merch" page.
As this is a writer's blog, you might think that some comments are so pithy as to be T-shirt, cap, or coffee-mug worthy.  Shouldn't be too hard to do the math on cost v price, so as to be able to reap a profit.

If anyone here has written a book, these could also be offered for sale - or even a collection of short stories or an entire(albeit edited) conversation as a book, as well, especially if there are enough fights, enough "action," so to speak...with the same or similar deal as earlier suggested, that is, that whoever wrote what be included in the distribution IAW sales, which might also motivate them to plug their book/contribution to all their friends and their friend's networks, eh?

i'm right fond of many sayings, e.g. "When i want your opinion, i'll give it to you," and etc.  If you'd like a few more suggestions, i'll be happy to give them to you, conditionally...
Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 9:04am
I had emailed tons of suggestions. They can be discussed further. I will not rewrite them, nor will I go through my email archive.
William Stockton Added Aug 7, 2018 - 9:34am

Family feeling?  More like massively dysfunctional family feelings.

You would do better if you did one of these things:
1) Rename WB to Progressive Beat
or
2) Rename WB to Conservative Beat
or
3) both -- two sites

WriterBeat is EXACTLY what the name implies -- a writer beatdown.  This site is trying to be the middle ground in a war -- the worst place to be, and calling it "free speech".
Perhaps worse is the strategy you are employing which is to fan the flames of anger on both sides by posting ghost articles from ghost authors with the motive to increase emotional contribution and "clicks".

You are missing the trend in social media.  This is a trend that will continue because it works -- tribalism media.  People do NOT go to social media to beat up their opponents (some do, not many).  People go to social media to reinforce their opinions and gain support.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 9:38am
Not all of us are ghost authors. Some are because they made their experiences on CSN. Means censored social networks.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 10:31am
Autumn:
      There are also grants available for enterprises and organizations that support the arts, literature, and journalism.
       Obviously, you would want to make money off the sale of a book, so design it so that it attracts interestinterest, so that it sells.
     Maybe, someone at a book review might review it. Send them  copies.

Autumn Cote Added Aug 7, 2018 - 10:51am
Jeffry & James & Stone,
I think Disqus’ customers (website owners) are given a lot of control on how much censorship they desire.  In a way, it’s a lot like Writer Beat, as each author is free to delete comments at his discretion.  That being said, so long as we aren’t in control, we will always be beholden to Disqus, so it is a concern.

William,
You’ve written 1,875 comments (most of which are of a high quality…IMHO) and have been a member of this community since 4/13/2013.  So before I respond, many thanks for your participation with Writer Beat!

It’s been a long time since you and I agreed on anything.  As it relates to your latest comment, we agree that this community often resembles a highly dysfunctional family.  As for the rest of your comment, we continue to disagree.

“Ghost articles” are written by real people that have given me permission to convert their comments on Disqus into articles on Writer Beat.  After alerting these new authors to their Writer Beat comment activity, some choose to partake in the discussion and others don’t.  FacePalm, are you a ghost?

FacePalm,
I’d buy shirts featuring snarky one-liners.  However, I wouldn’t advertise a shirt like that on Writer Beat, way too few users to sell any shirts.  Ditto for authors that have written a book.

Michael B.,
Writer Beat may be circling the drain, but activity is higher than it’s ever been.  Either way, happy to hear you’ll be sticking around no matter where we end up.

Benjamin,
The topic of this discussion is: big picture things that need to change about Writer Beat to bring it to the next level.  Or are you saying implementing the changes you suggest constitute “big picture” changes?

For whatever it’s worth, it’s because of my conversations with you that I now spend most of my free time on Disqus looking for new blood.  Of all the major changes discussed the one with the most realistic change of happening is using Disqus for our commenting platform.  I wouldn’t be doing it because I want to give up control of commenting, it would be because I think Disqus could bring us top the next level.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:03am
Autumn:
    I looked it up there are thousands of awards, grants, and fellowships. Not just from the NEA.
The NEA awards from 10,000$ to 100,000$ for promoting arts, literature, journalism, including web sites that serve underserved communities and cultural projects. There also ones for independent and self published writing.
     You have to meet the criteria and fill out the forms.
Ari Silverstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:12am
Barath: I would love to see the look on one of the judges faces when Writer Beat is presented as art, literature or journalism.

Autumn: One does not need financial compensation to be considered a success.  Stated differently, I wouldn't quit your day job, but kudos if you can figure out a way to get paid to do what you love.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:17am
Autumn: Of course, they would constitute a big picture change. All what the others have to say is some nitty gritty about social aspects (who likes whom). At this point, I don't know which software you even want to continue. I would strongly prefer that you ditch this old rag and move to the newly developed one.
Then there is the obvious approach. What is the place in the market? Minds.com does have a strong system to incentivize people to be on and to do things that help the platform. However, because of their data protection obsession the content there cannot be found with search engines. So while all the other platforms make their content invisible, you could just steal from them the stuff that is working.
William Stockton Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:20am

Ok.  Then Autumn one might ask more followup questions like:

1) What are the statistics on these "ghost" authors?  How many actually meet the criteria and rules that you have required for posting comments?  I suspect 90% of these "ghost" authors are in all practicality "ghosts".  They never respond and they are one-shot-wonders.

2) If your motive is not to stir up conflict here, where are the articles from the "ghost" articles on topics like:
--  Cheese Making 101
--  I Like Kittens
--  How To Make Your Husband/Wife (fill in the blank)

Listen, it is your website.  I only have an opinion and since you asked for it . . .
For years I have supported you until this policy of clickbaiting and clickfarming became the ruleset here.  I came to this site voluntarily to become a better writer but have been transformed into a political hack . . . the very thing I hate actually.  And I'm not entirely convinced this was not the intent of this site, subconsciously or not, to generate heated political discourse in the first place.  So, perhaps you might understand my resentment a bit to see 100% of the ghost authors here posting hard right or hard left articles.

Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:27am
Ari:
    I remember this debate when I took philosophy. Mapplethorpe and Serrano exhibits were supported by NEA grants. Then Mayor Giuliani tried to shut down the museum in New York City. A federal judge ruled it violated the First .
    I personally didn't think that was good or culturally important art but who gets to say whether writerbeat serves an important purpose in literature, journalism or culture, or whether it teaches anything about culture or ethics or journalism, is whether it reaches and underserved community. I know my writing does.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:30am
Stockton: It isn't even clickbait. I ignore most newbies until they respond. I don't care if an opinion is left or right, but the problem of the crossposts is often that they are boring or neonazi. I still don't see a better way of finding new people manually. Either there is a technical change that "rewards" users for sharing stuff and enforces rules without a personal dimension (makes recommendation easier) or it will just always be the same small site.
Doug Plumb Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:32am
Autumn, the site will have to be controlled to earn an income. There is no way anyone would be permitted to comment on the JQ.
William Stockton Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:33am
I still don't see a better way of finding new people manually.

It is not a matter of finding people.  It is a matter of retaining authors.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:36am
William has a point in his last phrase Left-right fights have taken overhand.

Anyway, Disqus or another site would have to be as easy to handle as this. Not clicking through endless menu buttons until one arrives where he wants to get to, and plastered with ads and popups.
William Stockton Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:45am
Benjamin, one more addition

Have you noticed the lack of women here?  At all?  Does that make you wonder sometimes?
Well, it is because political topics are, generally, not interesting to women.  Women are not, generally, the ones to ramp up political rhetoric.  They are the nurturers of society . . . not the cage fighters like men are, usually.
So, what we have here is a naturally segregated community of most male contributors.  This site has become a new writer's Fight Club.
Enjoy!
Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 12:03pm
I personally find the social stuff irrelevant for the "big picture." People are how they are. The only thing that can be changed is the technology.
P.S. You want feedback on writing style. I gave one mild critique to this WHSmith guy and he was raining insults on me. I bet that kind of forum would not bring more harmony.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 12:14pm
According to the NEA an underserved community is one whose opportunity to experience the arts have been limited by geography, economy, ethnicity ...
      Writerbeat probably serves underserved communities.
     I write about ethics, law, religion, theology and topics of cultural significance ...etc. Where else do people get to read stuff like mine?
     Really, nowhere else, especially not the religion section in the bookstore.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:12pm
Benjamin:
      Contribution to the Study of the Humanities is worthy, and considered part of core academic discipline.
Autumn Cote Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:27pm
Barath,
I agree with Ari, I don’t see any foundation granting Writer Beat money.  I’m focusing my efforts on attracting an investor who believes the site can grow. An investor who knows something about growing a website and has an idea on how to monetize traffic.  The one thing I know about attracting an investor is that we need more users to peak his or her interest.

Ari,
The site needs financial compensation for it to survive and pay for desired improvements.

Benjamin,
The new site is riddled with problems and deficiencies to this site.  I hope my brother doesn’t make the switch but have given him permission to do so as long as he stays involved and splits the cost 50/50.  What specifically is it about Minds.com that you think we should adopt?

William,
Nothing infuriates me more than when a newbie chooses not to participate.  This has been a problem no matter the method I’ve used to source newbies.  Disqus is simply the latest tool I prefer. If it wasn’t for the fact I’ve been banned from LinkedIn (where I believe I found you) I’d probably still be there.  The good news is that even if a newbie doesn’t participate, the article I post can still generate a lively comment thread.

My motive is not to stir up conflict, but I’ve learned the hard way that people aren’t interested in poems, short stories or articles on how to make cheese.  So I look for political content and from there anyone is free to post on any topic they like.  I don’t know what clickbaiting or clickfarming is.  All I’m trying to do is generate a community of people interested in reading and commenting on the work of others and I believe I’ve succeeded in doing that.

As for retaining authors, nobody gets more upset when people choose to leave than me.  If you have thoughts on how to keep them here, please let me know what they are.

Stone & William,
I’m aware of no site where politics is discussed that doesn’t have heated discussions between the Left, Right and every other side for that matter.

Doug,
I disagree, I believe there is healthy market for unfiltered speech but I don’t know how to reach those people.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:34pm
Autumn

When, say, each of us regulars with 50$ you can easily get to a 1000$ for a fresh start, and a monthly rate of s10-20 from all of us could secure a basic functioning ?
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:35pm
Sorry for typos and stuff, my laptop keyboard jumps all over the place and creates chaos.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:41pm
Autumn:
     The dream of almost every writer is to get recognition for their work and to make a living at it. Why not help them achieve their dreams and yours, and make money at it?
    Or why should I say that the moon has cool rays?
Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:44pm
Autumn: It is a bit frustrating. Minds does incentivise user behavior with a budget that the user can use for multiple things. I have suggested that in a thread a year or so ago and I have given more specifics via plenty of emails.

But it is not only Minds. You can basically go around and grab ideas from any other social network.

I have made a suggestion about a personal page, an event page, that shows events like
- new comments
- benchmarks (views, number of likes, number of comments written and received on articles)
-Likes received and by whom
- article shared on other platforms and so on and so on

These notifications could (and I think should) look like a Twitter page. It will keep users engaged. (While I'm writing this, I have already worries about the IQ of this community. I mean LOOK LIKE. Like design. I hear idiots already going like "No Twitter, nooooo". I'm frustrated.)

The only thing that really, really matters is that this thing grows. And you will not grow it if you continue to ask people on board personally. You can incentivize people to share (parts of the) articles on other platforms to lure people in. The only way to do it is to give rewards for using a share buttom. That is what you can do. And I have mentioned that a thousand times already.

I also made suggestions as to how to structure the thing so it remains accessible and everybody visible if it then grows. It is all already said. But as the contributor who you mention in your article above mentioned it is not even clear if you want what you say you want.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 1:49pm
Or " Who on earth will wonder if the moon be said to have cool rays? "

Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 2:08pm
Autumn:
     Everything on social media is free. The minute you start charging people it loses its appeal. I used to pay money in school for articles on academic databases. But, in general this isn't an academic website.
Wendy Bugliari Added Aug 7, 2018 - 2:36pm
Autumn,
The fact that Jurg just promoted paying to be here says MORE than anything I need repeat.
Cheers to still being same ole WB,
~The Bug~
Autumn Cote Added Aug 7, 2018 - 3:06pm
Stone,
I appreciate the sentiment but I can easily afford something that costs $1,000.  Fixing this site properly is easily going to cost $20,000 and I have a hard time reaching out to this community for so much as $1.

Barath,
I’m sure that is a dream of almost every writer, but my focus is on making money for Writer Beat, not paying authors money I don’t have.

Benjamin,
I can appreciate your frustration.  It’s frustrating from my end too. I hear a lot of suggestions from a lot of people and all of these people think their ideas are the ones I should pursue.  Adding to the frustration is the fact that I don’t have the technical means to implement any idea.  That’s why I only want to focus on big picture issues in this thread.  In my humble opinion, the ideas you offered are not big picture ideas that will change this site in a dramatic way.

Already everyone that posts an article here has incentive to publicize his article across his social network and other platforms.  As for their reward, they get a well-read article that garners a healthy amount comment activity.  I don’t follow what you wrote in your final paragraph.

Bug,
Welcome back!

To all,
More newbies in need of some feedback (Dino Manalis’ comments don’t count as feedback):

Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 7, 2018 - 3:11pm
No, you don't hear a lot of suggestions. It is also clear that this thread is not meant seriously, which is fine. You just want to chat.

Either you do have the means to change something or you don't and then there is no change that will lead to any monetisation. So you just wanted to have a chat. Okay then. I unsub from the thread then.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 3:26pm
Autumn

20.000 ??? I can get you IT cracks from Cameroon that'll do it for 2.000 as proposed :)
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 3:28pm
....just get in touch and discuss :)
Wendy Bugliari Added Aug 7, 2018 - 3:34pm
SEF,
Ha ha ha, sell that service from Cameroon BUT clean UP some other areas that charge tolls for a bridge with NO tolls!
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 7, 2018 - 3:39pm
Autumn:
    I think it really works better a a a mutual thing. If I go to a stockbroker or investment banker, I pay him or her money to make me money, not to make him wealthy. But, we both profit. That's what makes it work, right!
FacePalm Added Aug 7, 2018 - 4:34pm
Autumn -
First, i don't think a subscription service would work; many of us don't seem to have a lot of spare cash.
Second, for any business to succeed and thrive, they must sell more than they spend.  What would you like to sell?  Who is your target market?
These and other questions must be answered if it is indeed true that you'd like to quit your job and devote your full time and energy to this.
So asking for suggestions on how to make dough then pooh-poohing them doesn't seem conducive to reaching your goal(s).
Just sayin'.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 7, 2018 - 5:12pm
Face

WB sells free speech. That's the next big thing. Although the server might be relocated to Africa, Iceland or another spot where PC and censorship is no big deal...
wsucram15 Added Aug 7, 2018 - 5:48pm
Jeffry/Michael/SEF..
Agreed. This is by far the best site I have written on and I am on a few. Even with the arguments.

Autumn;
I dont know how you do it and people on here should be grateful that you do, every day.
Jeff Michka Added Aug 7, 2018 - 6:58pm
I'll agree with wsucram15, and should note everyone, including Willy Stockpot and the Barath of Gawd should be grateful for your efforts.  I am.  Thanks, Autumn.
Ken Added Aug 7, 2018 - 7:31pm
I would like to know who is being considered "neo-nazis".  Autumn, you even used that term saying there are more here than other sites because you don't filter.  Clearly you feel there are some neo-nazi's here - so either you ARE showing your politics, or you believe there are people here that I have seen no sign of.  I have seen conspiracy theorists, some anti-semites (although that in itself does not make one a neo-nazi), but I have to date seen no evidence that anyone that is posting here would fit into that category.

As far as "making a book" or other such use of our work.  There is nothing that I recall giving up the rights to our work. While I am all for you trying to work out a business model that would be for-profit, using others effort should be a big no-go.  If that were even a possibility in the cards, I would request that everything I have put here be removed because I understood that I would et credit and retain the rights to my efforts.
Maureen Foster Added Aug 7, 2018 - 8:27pm
I commend you on your effort and wish you financial success, seeing that’s how you define success.  However, based on my knowledge of the internet, Writer Beat will fail no matter what you do.  The public is interested in 140 characters, baby pictures, cat videos and snarky one-liners.  The list of social networks that tried straying from this tried and true strategy is long.  Probably the most notable failure is Medium but Open Salon and Ezine also come to mind.  Even Google and Yahoo gave it a go.  I imagine the collective amount of money invested towards the effort is in the billions.  I suggest a new definition for success.
Autumn Cote Added Aug 7, 2018 - 10:25pm
Benjamin,
It’s true, this article is meant for chat purposes only. I don’t blame you for being upset with me. You spent a lot of effort providing me suggestions and I’m not a fan of many of them.  However, please note, it’s because of one of your suggestions that I think Disqus will become our commenting platform.  There is even a chance we move Writer Beat into a Disqus channel, kind of like what I had in mind for Medium.  So it’s because of one of your suggestions Writer Beat may undergo a major change.  Nobody else providing me suggestions can hold a candle to that and you're the one upset with me.

Stone,
The site started with a web design firm in Spain, it then went to the Ukraine and the re-design has been managed by a firm in India.  If I go with any other firm it will be an American one.  I just don’t think I can handle another language barrier. It’s difficult enough for me to talk about technical issues with my brother.

Barath,
I’m sorry but I think the two of us simply don’t see eye to eye on the path forward.

FacePalm,
My product is Writer Beat, not shirts.  If someone wants to sell shirts via Writer Beat, that’s fine by me.  In light of the amount of traffic we have, I doubt a shirt maker would pay me very much to sell shirts on this platform.  As for pooh-poohing ideas, that is the nature of a discussion like this.  It would say a lot about an idea of yours if a bunch of people on this thread supported it.

Jeff & Wsucram15,
No matter what people say to me, the fact any of you choose to spend free time here provides me a great sense of accomplishment.  So there is no need to thank me, the gratitude is mine.

Ken,
In regards to your questions about neo-Nazis, I plead the fifth.  As for the book suggestion, it’s not a suggestion I support.  However, I think everyone participating here should do so with the knowledge that your work is a part of the public realm.

Maureen,
I can’t believe you mentioned Open Salon.  I used to be an active participant on that site until it suddenly failed.  In fact, Writer Beat is modeled after the site.  Only I would spend all this effort modeling a website on a failed platform.  The internet is a big place, I think there’s room for a site like Writer Beat.
James Travil Added Aug 7, 2018 - 11:50pm
Also Maureen where have you been. Medium now charges suckers $5 a month for most of their conten, hardly a failure. And Twitter is 280 characters now not a pathetic 140!
Dave Volek Added Aug 8, 2018 - 2:04am
Hello Autumn
I come back every couple of weeks to check on the ever-changing culture of WB---and have been successful in staying away from the WB fray (i.e., I can put more of my precious time in other internet forums as WB has proven not to bring book sales). But your plea here was interesting to me.

I have been on Google Plus for at least six years. I haven't made much headway in the past, but these days I am finding a little more success in building relationships and getting some interesting discussion happening (less time on WB might be a reason). I have always found it interesting that Google, who wants to blast Google ads all over the internet, have not put Google ad units on G+.  I think they realize that the minute they monetize G+, it will lose a lot of its users fairly quickly. I suspect the execs at Google are keeping G+ going more as a means for good PR than a revenue generator------at least until they somehow figure out a business formula for G+, which may or may not happen. I suspect G+ is selling data, but probably not for very much.

Facebook, on the other hand, can play all sorts of games with its users to make money for itself. Somehow FB has reached a point of being essential whereas G+ has not. WB needs to cross a certain threshold. Alas I have no idea on how to do this.

About 10 years ago, a sociologist-type friend of mine made a rather interesting statement. Most individuals can only hold about 150 people in their lives in their interpersonal relationships: in other words, have a caring concern for those individuals. Yes, we may know more than 150 people, but most of them are on a casual basis. And yes, those 150 do rotate in and out of our lives as life circumstances change.   But 150 seems to be the maximum that we can keep in our circle.

I feel that I have put a few WB contributors into my circle of 150 during my foray on WB. But it seems that WB has trouble holding 50 regular contributors, let alone 10 or so we could put into our circle (even for a short time). I am wondering if WB were divided into several sections, that maybe more people would join, just to engage with the group or two they are most interested in . While American politics seems to be a common topic for WB contributors, maybe we need Canadian politics or UK politics to help bring certain WB contributors a little closer in their personal connections. Maybe another section on "constructive criticism" for aspiring writers. Or how about sections on climate change, religion, and economics?

Several years ago, I invented a co-operative social networking site called Consensus.   It is based on what users don't like about FB. Not only that, the website gives a completely different way of doing business (even for a co-operative). Maybe there is something there to inspire you to take WB in a new direction.

And yes, I fully understand your limited funds. Developing software is a black hole for money.

All the best!

Jeffry Gilbert Added Aug 8, 2018 - 2:10am
I have been banned for life from disqus and in my own inimitable way suggested they shove their bullshit somewhere uncomfortable in response to their ban but I'll stick around until you go that way.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 8, 2018 - 6:08am
Dave

You're racist toward non-anglophones. Tztz LOL
Autumn Cote Added Aug 8, 2018 - 10:01am
Dave,
Welcome back.  As it is now the site’s membership is small, so breaking up the site into smaller sections is not something I’m in favor of.  If we grow significantly, I’d support the suggestion.  Assuming we did have the category “constructive criticism” who would decide what’s constructive?  For whatever it’s worth, my brother thinks we should have categories now.

What is it about Consensus you think is superior to Writer Beat?  For aspiring writers with a book to promote, the site I most frequently hear about is Goodreads.

Jeffry,
I might be the most egregious spammer on Disqus and I’m not banned.  Some websites who contracted with Disqus banned me, but not Disqus itself.  Don’t you worry, if we go with Disqus, I’ll find a way to keep you around.

To all,
Another newbie in need of a comment:
Stone-Eater Added Aug 8, 2018 - 10:38am
Checked out Disqus via Google login. Hm....not really special just BIG. And categorized. I mean WB has no categories all is in one, so how would that function there ? A separate 'category' for WB and the rest stays same using undercategories within WB category ?
Dave Volek Added Aug 8, 2018 - 2:58pm
Autumn

WB and Consensus are different internet concepts: we really can't say one is superior to the other. Consensus is a unique co-operative, and there might be some ideas that may work for your business model for WB. I think when people have more of an "ownership," they may be more inclined to participate.

After collecting my thoughts, I'll just summarize a little better. WB may have stalled because it is just one forum with many different topics, with American politics dominating. Divide WB into about 10 communities and WB contributors will find the two or three they really like. Of course, they can click the option to see all articles similar to the status quo.

If things stay the same, we should not be surprised that WB does not grow to what it really deserves. You will have to make your best guess as to what could work----and give that a try.

Autumn Cote Added Aug 8, 2018 - 3:25pm
Stone,
Take a look at the first link.  It’s a typical comment thread from a website that has hired Disqus as their commenting platform.  There are only five comments presently, so you should see me in there.  I point this out because I disagree with the statement that Disqus is categorized.  Disqus is simply the comment system for many different websites.  The second link is a Disqus page.  Imagine if Writer Beat was one of these pages.

Dave,
I’m not suggesting one is better than the other, I’m asking you to tell me what elements of Consensus you like and wish to be implemented at Writer Beat.

Writer Beat is not stalled, activity is higher than it’s ever been.  However, my brother is losing patience and we have technical issues we can’t fix.  I maintain that it’s way too early to divide the site up into categories.

To all,
Another newbie in need of some feedback:
JJ Montagnier Added Aug 8, 2018 - 3:44pm
Autumn, I would still have been commenting here if it were not for 3 newbie articles that I commented on disappearing after a day or two. (The reason why I started commenting on newbie articles was because you always remind is that we should dos so.) In January my last article inexplicably plummeted down to #549 or something. Lower than some articles that had been written months prior to that. Also, inviting commentators from other sites which hold extrem(ist) views, like the chap "Salv0", does nothing to further constructive debate, it just degenerates it.The fact that you always have to scout for "new blood" is a result of a toxic atmosphere here which simply drives many writers away. The bottom line for me is I have I don't like wasting my time - and if my comments disappear because articles disappear or if extremist trolls that are invited to participate simply make it impossible to debate rationally, than I have better things to do. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the quality debates I did have here on WB - and if the atmosphere changes I may even return.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 8, 2018 - 3:55pm
Autumn

Tried it, saw you. But i couldn't reply. When choosing a username after mail verification it stops at "Choose a valid username". Buggy stuff...neither Stone nor Stone-Eater was accepted.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 8, 2018 - 4:30pm
It works.
Ian Thorpe Added Aug 8, 2018 - 4:34pm
Autumn, you don't know who Alex Jones is?
Stick your head out of the window anywhere in the USA and you'll hear him yelling about something - probably Piers Morgan. :-)
Ric Wells Added Aug 8, 2018 - 8:23pm
Autumn First if there are technical difficulties that can't be fixed then we as users will have to live with that. In my opinion if that's the worst thing that ever happens to me I will feel blessed. Second I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell stories.  When you first brought me on I was writing a lot of political stuff but just as the climate (pun intended) I have changed. My writings are not everyone's cup of tea but I still enjoy the feedback I receive. Little known about three years ago I was designated an Thunderbird by a segment of the Cherokee, Cheyenne and Lakota nations. This I treasure and this is what I was destined to become. I thank you for affording me the opportunity to share my stories with others.
Ric
Dave Volek Added Aug 9, 2018 - 7:23am
Autumn

I am only looking at WB from one small angle. You have the bigger picture. If something I have said can help you see the bigger picture a little better, that is all I (or anyone else here) really can do for you. You asked for our perspectives; we gave them to you. You are in charge of putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

I can't say which part of Consensus could help you out for I just don't have the bigger picture for WB. It's up to you to spend an hour to go through the site to see if it will inspire you to a different business model for WB.

Autumn Cote Added Aug 9, 2018 - 10:01am
JJ,
I believe a lot of newbies have no idea what they’re saying “sure” to when they respond to one of my outreach emails.  Some, after they see the article on Writer Beat or start getting comment notifications, get pissed and ask me to remove the article.  So perhaps you should stick to commenting to the regulars.  As for Salv0, you commented in his article, so that problem is easily resolved if you ignored him.

Ian,
I know who Alex Jones is now, but didn’t know he was prior to the Info Wars brouhaha.

Ric,
The gratitude is mine.

Dave,
You used to be an excellent participant of this site for a long time.  However, you occasionally went into book selling mode and Writer Beat is not the place for that.  When I first started the site, I contacted aspiring authors, poets and other self-described writers.  Few of these people commented on the work of others, they were all mostly interested in selling their wares. As for Consensus, I don’t wish to spend any time on a site unless you can explain what you think I should adopt for Writer Beat and why.

To all,
Another newbie in need of something more than a one sentence remark:
Stone-Eater Added Aug 10, 2018 - 8:29am
Autumn

Disqus is really a pain in the ass. No idea how to create a channel, "create channel" does not appear in the menu (I wanted to create a channel for Africa Daily), and one cannot search for channels by keyword - and there's no support mail available as well.

So I guess it's not what one looks for in terms of service and support. Your experiences ?
wsucram15 Added Aug 10, 2018 - 7:51pm
I sent you two emails with someone I hope can help you if you still need the help.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 11, 2018 - 5:15am
Just found  that blog:

Looks interesting. Autumn you know that one ?

Autumn Cote Added Aug 12, 2018 - 6:04am
Stone,
I never heard of Kialo, what do you like about it?  Regarding Disqus, I don’t know how to create a channel either.  If Writer Beat decided to relocate to Disqus, I was thinking maybe we’d be a channel on it.  Right now I think we should use Disqus as our commenting platform.  As an outsourced commenting platform, my experience with Disqus is excellent.  By way of example, take a look at this link: http://disq.us/p/1uqr7ev

Wscuram15,
I sent an email to the person you recommended, but haven’t heard back.

To all,
Another newbie in need of some feedback:
Stone-Eater Added Aug 12, 2018 - 1:42pm
Autumn

No time yet to check it thoroughly. I thought you might know it.

Stone-Eater Added Aug 12, 2018 - 1:44pm
BTW

Problem might be that disqus works with subject categories. A WB channel would as now include all subjects under WB...
A. Jones Added Aug 12, 2018 - 8:39pm
Not all of us are ghost authors.

You loudly announced to everyone a while ago that you were leaving WB. You're back?

Oh, goodie.
James Travil Added Aug 12, 2018 - 8:57pm
^THIS is Alex Jones.
Dave Volek Added Aug 13, 2018 - 1:02am
Autumn
Your recent comments got me to thinking: If I had no book to sell or no political reformation to promote, would I still be participating on internet discussion groups for social and political issues?

The answer was clearly "no." Participating for truly altruistic reasons really has no interest for me.

When you say: "You used to be an excellent participant of this site for a long time.  However, you occasionally went into book selling mode and Writer Beat is not the place for that", I should say that even my non-promotional posts to WB were designed to build a relationship with other contributors so that they would take my novel ideas a little more seriously. There really never was a time when I had a pure heart with WB.

I had a unique life opportunity to put a lot of effort into WB last year. I could drag it for at least another year, but there are other life projects to occupy my spare time. Some of that time will go to other forums, but limited to less than 30 minutes a day.

As far as what Consensus may offer you, I do describe the consultative process in Chapter 4 where people combine their knowledge, experience, and wisdom into one mindset. In this way, participants will create something much better than any individual by him- or herself.

I think you need to look at different business models. Consensus is one of many new ways.

One of the earlier internet forums I started promoting my TDG was a concept called Mediard (circa 2002). This forum set up articles very much like a newspaper broadsheet. The articles that made to to the front page were based on newness and readership. The writer had to hook his readers with an opening that was probably less than 100 words. If the reader liked the opening, he or she clicked for the full article. Comments were allowed. Visually, it was more appealing than newsgroups, but the download times were slow. I realized that Mediard is more or less what WB does, but Mediard was there 15 years ago. Mediard looked like a pioneer to me, and its owner had outside money.

I had been kicked of several newsgroups because I was obviously a "commercial interest." Mediard let me stay, which I remained for about a year. It seemed to me that we had about 20 regular contributors who spent several months or more in this forum. And there were another 20 or so who put up a few articles, then left. But the number of participants never really exceeded 50---and that has been my experience with internet forums ever since. And that is where I get my hypothesis that 50 seems to be a maximum number for active participants on any internet forum. If some research has already been done on topic, it might be useful to your next move with WB.

BTW, Mediard eventually went broke. I never got a book sale from this forum either.

Once again, I find I have spent too much time on WB. This is my last post to this thread. Although I seem to be slightly addicted, I will try to refrain from looking at WB for a month or so.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 13, 2018 - 3:50am
Jones

As you can see. Habits are difficult to stop ;)
James Travil Added Aug 13, 2018 - 5:00am
Jones

Go back to Infowars. Everyone else but Twitter has banned you, maybe you got a conspiracy theory on it to help, lol!
Autumn Cote Added Aug 13, 2018 - 3:00pm
Stone,
I don’t understand what you mean by “Disqus works with subject categories.”  I don’t see any limitation related to using Disqus.  What we lose by going with Disqus is complete autonomy.

Jones and James,
I don’t get the “oh, goodie” comment.  Are you saying you wish I had shuddered the site?  Your comment brings up an important point.  If the site is profitable, it will survive well past my involvement with it.  As it stands now, the site will surely die if I were to give up on it.

Dave,
Regarding your Writer Beat experience, if you didn’t use the site as a mechanism to promote books, I think you would enjoy your time here and as a result still be an active participant.  Because you’re always promoting your book, Writer Beat is perceived as something that requires “effort.” To the extent one spends effort without something to show for their effort, it won’t take long for them to decide to spend effort elsewhere.

To all,
Another newbie in need of some feedback:
Jeff Michka Added Aug 13, 2018 - 4:30pm
Volek is still going on and on about his book.  I'm sure any answers you might want are "in his book."  Dave got all angry over being asked where the stuff in his book was being tried.  And for reasons he stated, good or bad, it just wasn't happening anywhere, and I wonder if he could see the necessity of a pilot project he said he couldn't manage.  It wasn't just platform, it was product.  That said, Dave's a bright guy, and I think he knows what it will take for his book to become reality, past wishing it was so.  I still wish him lots of luck.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 13, 2018 - 4:52pm
Autumn, first thank you so much for your patience and endless work putting this forum up for us. For me, one of the best parts is that it is a place where the entire political spectrum is interacting, and you find very few of those. I enjoy trying to defend my own positions, and sometimes to poke holes in the arguments of those I disagree with.

I do know that just as you search boards for worthwhile writers to invite, this site is also "poached". So there is recognition that there is worthwhile writing going on here. And I must say that I've never been concerned that my posts on science or music or musings on the local nature scene do not receive as much interaction as do the political postings. I just try to make sure that I am not totally predictable.

Good luck on trying to find a platform that will retain the nature of this haven on the internet, while allowing monetization. You deserve it.
A. Jones Added Aug 13, 2018 - 5:26pm

Huh?

Stoned bragged that he was leaving WB, yet now he's back. I greeted his glorious return with a deadpan "Oh, goodie." The comment has nothing to do with my wishing (or not wishing) you had shuttered (not "shuddered") the site.
Dave Volek Added Aug 13, 2018 - 9:31pm
Autumn

I lied. I forgot to add one important point to my last post. I should add it here.

Regardless of which platform I am using to promote my wares, I have come to the conclusion, thanks to your recent comments, that I am marketing to people who spend a lot of time on internet discussion forums. I'm not sure this is ever going to be the audience to help move the TDG forward.

Most people I know offline don't partake in this hobby. But how do I reach the movers and shakers without a great marketing investment?

Like you, I have a lot of puzzle pieces to put together.
James Travil Added Aug 13, 2018 - 9:50pm
I would shudder if the site was ever shuttered, but Alex Jones is gleefully hopeful it will be. You see his YouTube videos were deleted and his Facebook page shuttered. And he was banned from Spotify, and misery loves company so poor old Alex is hoping that Writerbeat.com joins him and his efforts in the toilet sooner than later.
Stone-Eater Added Aug 14, 2018 - 4:20am
Jones

Luckily I don't depend on your opinion LOL

BTW: I've never been away really. Maybe you should work on your attention  span. And intentions can be changed. If not, there's a lack of flexibility around ;-)
Autumn Cote Added Aug 14, 2018 - 4:39am
Clock,
The gratitude is mine.

A.Jones,
My bad…big misunderstanding.  I still contend that you stumbled on the #1 reason all of you should wish this site achieved some degree of financial success.  And thanks for the spelling catch…that was embarrassing.

Dave Volek,
I have no idea how to contact movers and shakers.  Again, should you have spare time and wish to have a more fulfilling experience than watching TV, playing a video game or even reading a book, I know a great website.

To all,
Another newbie in need of some feedback:
Stone-Eater Added Aug 14, 2018 - 7:07am
Autumn

What I mean is: You log on and see at first different subjects to choose from - Games, Politics, Society, Religion etc. And THEN you choose the channels you like. Now - when you have WB as a separate channel, these subjects will be WITHIN the channel, as it is here.

The way that Disqus seems to be set up, it does not allow to have several subjects in ONE channel, but channels are set up according to subjects.

At least that's how I understand it...
Autumn Cote Added Aug 14, 2018 - 10:07am
Stone,
Forget about Disqus channels.  Think of Disqus as just an outsourced commenting system.  In other words, there is no content or subjects on Disqus.  The content exists on the many websites that use Disqus as their commenting platform.  For example -

This link is an article from the Daily Wire: https://www.dailywire.com/news/34453/knowles-social-media-companies-are-coming-us-ashe-schow

At the bottom of the article you’ll see the Disqus commenting platform.  This comment thread can be seen without ever visiting the Daily Wire, however to read the article one has to visit the Daily Wire.  Here is the comment thread as it appears only on Disqus: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/thedailywire/knowles_the_social_media_companies_are_coming_for_us/

To all,
Another newbie in need of a comment:
Stone-Eater Added Aug 14, 2018 - 12:53pm
Autumn

Ohh ok I got it. Not a bad idea :-)
Pardero Added Aug 14, 2018 - 11:51pm
Autumn
I am pressed for time, as always.
I will just spit it out.
I would like to see you have a donation kitty AND a link to your shiny new Patreon account.

Pardero Added Aug 14, 2018 - 11:53pm
Oh, and if you happen to be Rachel Warren of the indy band, Palomar, you need to get a Patreon account for the band, too.
Pardero Added Aug 15, 2018 - 12:20am
I gotta get some sleep, but consider how easy it is to set up a PayPal account. I got one using the name 'Pardero,' although I don't imagine I will ever start selling sheet music, I wanted to have dibs on the name, just in case. Or I could hit my rich brother up for some cash to buy my own tractor and trailer.
Please consider it.
Pardero Added Aug 15, 2018 - 12:32am
P.S.
If you think a larger crowd would help, we could all start plugging Writer Beat at our other haunts. Whadaya think ?
Don't give up. Writer Beat is just a late bloomer.
Autumn Cote Added Aug 15, 2018 - 8:29am
Pardero,
If I set up a donation kitty I imagine many of you would be very generous and based on the quantity of people I have using the site, I might make $1,000.  $1,000 does nothing.  To properly fix this site, I need at least $20,000.  Yes, please plug Writer Beat at your other haunts.  Don’t hesitate to let anyone you know that’s interested my email address: AutumnCote@WriterBeat.com

To all,
Another newbie in need of some feedback:

Recent Articles by Writers Autumn Cote follows.