In Support of Journalists and the Media

The veneer of civilization is thin. Those with the oratorical skill who are able to manipulate their audience into violently turning against the objects of derision, are deliberately pulling at a loose piece of veneer, caring not whether the veneer comes off and exposes the termite-infested structure found beneath. That to me is the danger we face when the leader of the nation castigates an entire branch of our society and declares them to be "The Enemy Of The People".

You see the raw hatred expressed by attendees at these rallies. It emanates from the middle finger salutes they proudly wave at journalists. You hear it as they scream "CNN Sucks" at the faces of those who try to bring the story of the rallies to their audiences across the nation and the world. Up till now, flimsy barricades separate the hordes of gesticulating shouters from the cameras and microphones held by members of the press. But mark my words, at some point there will be a trigger. Perhaps it is an ill-chosen phrase spoken over the sound system that sets it off. Perhaps it will be some member of the press who pushes back against some rally supporter who has intruded. Perhaps it will be someone radicalized in the sewage of white supremacy beliefs who decides to take matters in his own hands. But some time soon, the barriers will fall, and the fury pent up by the constant denigration and denunciations and hate speech coming from the President will be unleashed upon the hapless press pool.

The images of the conflict will dominate the airwaves for days. Broadcasts showing the chaos, confusion, and casualties that resulted from the charge over the barricades will horrify those who believed "It can't happen here". Images abruptly cut off when cameras were destroyed will resonate over the airwaves. Cell phone videos providing additional perspectives will surface, each one swimming up to the surface of the boiling soup of the media world, only to spread out and sink back into the simmering pot.

Then the question will come up. Was this riot against the press a one off? Or will others across the nation who share in the beliefs of the President that members of the media are horrible, horrendous people, instead begin attacks wherever the press is displayed? Is it conceivable that enough people could be motivated to act against the press that this country could have its own Kristallnacht, with TV studios raided, and newspaper employees having to fight against those who would throw spanners into the working printers, ceasing for a bit the dissemination of news they find distasteful.

Think this is excessive hyperbole? I offer an example from my state of West Virginia, where we have "Trump Lite" as our governor. This gentleman with the oxymoronic surname of Justice, not only lashes out against the press whenever they print something he doesn't like. No, he upbraids them when they print something that he agrees is accurate, but somehow if this news is published, it will cause damage to the state of West Virginia and its reputation. He is fostering the concept that the news media is biased and wants to destroy everything good being done in the state by his administration. How many other politicians around the nation are taking advantage of the cover provided by the President in his continuing campaign against the media? The belief in the fake nature of the news is spreading, and will find more and more purchase if it is allowed to fester without a vigorous and continuous denunciation.

So on this August 16, inspired by the Boston Globe's campaign to speak out against the ongoing attack against the free press, I offer my own denunciation of the tactics of this President. There is only a thin line of metal barricades that stand against the unleashing of the animal instincts that has been aroused by the words of this charlatan. But as we've seen in other countries in the last century, those who can inspire the animal spirits of crowds can lead their nations into paths of evil and into their own destruction.

Picture courtesy of Salvaged Inspirations. Link may be found at   https://salvagedinspirations.com/how-to-remove-veneer/

First posted at my blog on https://evenabrokenclock.blog/

Comments

Bill Kamps Added Aug 16, 2018 - 2:27pm
Criticizing the press does not make them less free.  To my knowledge no laws have been proposed that limit their constitutional rights.

The press is not used to not being criticized, at least not with a very loud voice.  In fact the press is used to having the loudest voice, and using it to stifle criticism. The old adage of not criticizing someone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton.

Well now with the internet anyone can get the eyeballs, one doesnt need a printing press.  The press is therefore not at the  advantage they once were.   They dont like it.

The press have been biased, and because their businesses are not as profitable as they once were they are often resorting to click baiting.  They are getting the backlash and they dont lick it.  However, they still have the same rights we all do.
opher goodwin Added Aug 16, 2018 - 2:40pm
EABC - I think people do not realise how dangerous this is. This is in effect incitement for a civil war. I don't think anybody who has lived through a war would like to repeat the experience. My father lived through the second world war and my grandfather the first. Neither would talk about it and both were haunted by it throughout their life.
These things flare up so easily. The results are horrific. Just look at Yugoslavia. To continually denounce the press while constantly lying is scandalous. The people that fall for this tactic are gullible. The result could be catastrophic.
I'm just incredibly glad I don't live in the US to suffer this implosion of stupidity.
Dino Manalis Added Aug 16, 2018 - 2:42pm
 A free press and media are fundamental, but they should portray themselves as independent professionals, not partisan and divisive radicals.
Katharine Otto Added Aug 16, 2018 - 2:59pm
Clock,
Do not confuse TV with journalism.  The made-for-television version of reporting promoted hate and fear long before Trump became president.  Yes, they play into each other's hands, but this raises viewership.

I haven't watched television in 50 years, and don't miss it.  If America is ever "to be great again," to quote Ronald Reagan, it will turn off the televisions and "smart" phones and start reading real books.

Even the newspapers have fallen prey to mind reading, fortune telling, generalizations, anonymous sources, and gossip, so they can't be trusted either.  "Journalism" in the idealized version we call "free press" has been sold to advertisers.
Cullen Kehoe Added Aug 16, 2018 - 8:35pm
I've marked your words. We'll see if violence ensues. I'm not convinced.
wsucram15 Added Aug 17, 2018 - 2:03am
I agree with Katharine. Books and newspapers. Instanews is bad (media)
Anything instant is bad. We have more insta than anyone and are in the worst shape, have most expensive healthcare..and live on pills to cope.
The investigative journalists are doing their job...and they are doing a job. Just like you and me.  I dont know why people cannot see how close we are to losing many of our rights. But they do not. These people whether you agree with them or not, right or left..are doing a job. Period.  Threatening them is very much like another autocrat we have all come to hate over here.  Very dangerous times.
BTW..EABC, I like your writing, one of my fav authors on here. Great story.
Just thought I would mention it.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Aug 17, 2018 - 2:23am
California is burning, London is under terror attacks, a terrorist compound is found in New Mexico yet all the so called journalists can talk about is how disgruntled Omarossa is.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:01am
Bill, there's criticism of the press, which has always existed, and then there's pure demonization of the press, which is what is going on with this President's words. And it is demonization that is deliberately inflaming emotions and passions in a setting that is rife for a sudden eruption of conflict. I hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm right.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:04am
Opher, I agree that people do not understand the danger we are in. Past political movements that led to authoritarian dictatorships did not have majority status - but the minority that supported the movement (like National Socialism) did so with extreme fervor. They literally crowded out any discussion other than their own voice by stifling all opposing conversation. It can happen here. We are not immune to mass psychology manipulation just because we have wonderful founding documents.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:07am
Dino - sometimes I think we are confusing the cable news channels with all journalists. It is clear that with Fox and MSNBC you have two outlets with the clear intent to present a bias. What I don't understand (maybe because I almost never watch it) is the antipathy expressed against CNN.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:11am
Katharine - you have more willpower than I do if you haven't watched TV for 50 years. I do agree that there is too much superficiality presented in television media, and too much celebrity culture adoration. That is one reason why I favor NPR as a source since they have the time to get in depth reporting on items, and provide interviews, even with those despised on both the right and the left, without the overt sermonizing found on TV.

It is the newspapers that are most at risk in this new media world. I would agree with your statement about reading more if you included newspapers as well as books.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:13am
Cullen, as I've said, I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right. There's a rally scheduled next Tuesday for my city. I would hate it if something happened here, but there's some really crazy folks around here who have swallowed the Trump mirage hook line and sinker.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:16am
Jeanne, thanks for the compliment. In another life I would have been a journalist, but science and engineering won in the college race. On the subject of instanews, it is often devoid of any introspection and analysis, and as such is only good if something is actually happening that can be shown.
Bill Kamps Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:16am

So demonization should be against the law?  I dont really follow what you want.

I would prefer Trump didnt make the comments he makes.  I would prefer his style were something different that it is.  Having said that, he is NOT taking away the rights of the press.

We are given freedom of speech.  If you dont like what Trump is saying then it is your right to disagree.  What I dont agree with, is that you and others are saying Trump is trying to take away the freedom of the press, and I see no evidence he is doing that.  He is giving them shit, some of it warranted.

We are not completely immune, but there is a lot more resilience in the system than you might expect.  There are a lot of people who are annoyed by what Trump says, but realize these same protecting documents give him the right to say what he says.  The moment he starts to change these protecting  documents is the moment he has a fight on his hands from quarters that previously let pass what he  says.

It like the right's idea that liberals want to take away their guns.  Im not on either side of the gun control argument, but the moment they try to change the 2nd Ammendment, the liberals will find out how difficult that is and I will fight  that.   So far no liberal has even suggested this to be done.

Both sides are paranoid that the other side will take away their rights.  That is not a good thing, but at the same time  the rights are not being taken away.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:21am
Jeffry - you are exactly correct. Bret Stephens of the New York Times (yes, that bastion of liberal bias) had a great tongue in cheek piece this week.  Here's the link:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/opinion/omarosa-trump-afghanistan.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fopinion-columnists

That's one thing this administration does. It sucks all the air out of the room so that we cannot discuss serious issues. I'd love for some analysis of how vulnerable we are in our nation to having the type of mega-disaster like the Genoa bridge collapse. But all we get are spasms of "Infrastructure Week Redux" where we hear about plans to sublet our national infrastructure to private businesses.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:27am
Bill - I agree that both sides are paranoid that their rights are threatened to be taken away. That has poisoned the well regarding having discussion, because for absolutists there can be no compromise. And I agree with you that the administration has not proffered legislation to take away any rights. But the incendiary nature of this President's words is perilously close to shouting fire in a crowded theater. That is not protected speech, if the result of the speech is to cause harm.

I am presenting my sense of where we are in the present. I hope for resilience, but anytime you stress a system, once the stress is relieved, there may be a hysteresis effect, where the new equilibrium settings are far from where they were before the stresses occurred.
Bill Kamps Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:31am

This is the President setting the agenda, wisely or not.  The press prefers THEY set the agenda by their choosing what is put out in the media.  I get sick of the nonsense our local press puts in our newspaper and on local TV news, but it is the right of the press to choose what they publish.   Since the press is now getting frustrated, they are saying the President is taking away their rights.

The press does not have the protected right to set the agenda.  They only have the right to publish what they want without government passing censorship laws.  The press is used to bullying people with the power of the press, now the President is bullying them, and they dont like it.
Ari Silverstein Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:47am
For the record, Trump and the rest of the GOP support journalists and the media.  We have an issue with fake media and stand by the assertion that they are an enemy of the people.  So wouldn’t the more apropos title for this article be: In Support of fake Journalists and the fake media
Bill Kamps Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:52am
Clock:  If the press were innocent I would be more inclined to side with them.  However, as along as there has been a press, they have presented a bias point of view, and they have edited the information they gave us.  Decades ago, before the internet, they intentionally hid things from the people because they decided it would be bad for the voters to know what the criminal politicians were up to.  They aided and abetted the politicians in deceiving the people.   All the while they were doing this, they were patting themselves on the back for being impartial, and presenting the truth with Edward R Murrow awards, and so on.

Now they are losing control of the message, and they dont like it.  Now they finally have a President that doesnt just look the other way when they exaggerate or slant the news.  That Trump then exaggerates things on his behalf, yes escalates the matter.

In general this is not a good thing.  However, the press has been getting away with their BS as long as there has been a press.  We will just  have to let things work themselves out.  You can still choose what to listen to, and what not.
Ward Tipton Added Aug 17, 2018 - 12:07pm
Anyone who does not believe there is a biased press need look no further than the AP Style of Writing Guide.

That being said, I am with Katharine ... though I have watched every television set ... especially appealing as the first round hits! Not so impressive with the later shots though.
Bill Kamps Added Aug 17, 2018 - 12:09pm

Who has been running daily videos of every family maligned by Trump's border policy?  Out of the thousands of cases that ICE handles they have been finding those cases where a family was not reunited, or somehow slighted, after they tried to enter our country  without a visa.

Who has been trumpeting the DACA policy, which is not a law, but simply an executive order by Obama to allow kids to stay in this country.  Whatever we think about the policy, an executive order was a weak way to implement this policy, and subject to be legally overturned by the next President.  Yet the press will have none of this, we are barraged with videos of kids that will be harmed if this policy is ended.  If Obama had not allowed them to stay, they would not be in the position they are in now.

How many stories were on the news about Obama's catch and release policy?  where ICE detained the people, and then simply let them go into the US with a promise to go to court.  Less then 1% of them went to court.  And yet the press did not put this on the air every day, the press did not claim this was unfair to the American people that we basically had an open door on our border.  Why? because this fit their agenda of how things should be going on.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 3:53pm
Bill, with regards to the press and the immigration policy, are you saying that you agree with the decision to totally eliminate domestic violence and risk of gang affiliation as sources of valid claims for asylum? Are you saying that you are in favor of a practice of separation of family members at the border, then having the family members essentially being unable to be brought back together due to the incompetence of those administering this program? Are you saying that the press had no justifiable role in highlighting these events because they make the government look bad?

If that is your claim, then I feel sorry for your world view. Now, I can't speak to those who in the past turned a blind eye at the marital indiscretions of multiple Presidents in the past. As the events of the past year with the #MeToo movement show, the Good Ole Boy network used to hide this sort of thing. Boys will be boys, don't you know.

But this administration is deliberately fostering division and hatred for a function that is essential as a check on incompetence or bad intentions in government policy, and by their skillful use of the 24 hour news cycle, keeps the press chasing the latest shiny object. I do blame the press for treating every tweet as if it was the distilled essence of intelligence instead of being the momentary delusion of the author coming out under the influence of his fingers.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 3:54pm
Ari, just for my own edification, what exactly do you consider to be Fake news?
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 4:01pm
Ward - is this the AP style guide you were referring to?  Guide to AP style
If so, I'm not seeing anything in it that would indicate bias.
Katharine Otto Added Aug 17, 2018 - 4:09pm
Clock,
My disinterest in television is not based on will power.  It's based on boredom and the insult to my intelligence.  I just finished reading Brave New World Revisited, by Aldous Huxley, in which he goes into propaganda and the methods the communications industry uses to sell its clients and products to the public.  Politicians are packaged to be entertainers, to deliver short snappy phrases and catchwords, to use repetition.  He could have been writing about Trump, and the media has become his tool.

I agree with Bill Kamps that the "Fourth Estate," which has set the agenda until now, is furious that Trump has stolen the limelight and changed the rules of the game.  How dare he use Twitter instead of relying on the press to filter and edit his communications.  Haha funny, according to me.

The media's focus on Trump's personality, the Mueller investigation, the sex scandals and disgruntled ex-staff, conveniently overlooks what I consider real news, such as the increased bombing in the Middle East, Raytheon's windfall sales of weapons to Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and other tidbits of relevance that might be worth investigating.
Bill Kamps Added Aug 17, 2018 - 4:10pm
CLock, sounds like you put a lot of words in my mouth.

What I am saying is that the coverage is not balanced.  The press did not object to an open door policy, but they object to the policy Trump is following.  They did not rant daily about catch and release, but they are ranting daily about Trump's methods.

They liked Obama's wrong  headed way of "enforcing" the law, but they dont like Trump's wrong headed actions.

In my opinion BOTH policies are wrong, because the law is fucked up.  Both policies should have been objected to by the press.

When the press talks to a Congress person about immigration, I never see them asking why they dont fix the laws.  I see them asking about how they object to what Trump is doing.  If they would fix the laws, then Trump wouldnt be doing what he is doing.

The press clearly has an agenda here.  They liked catch and release, they dont like the  current policy.  I dont like either.

Ari Silverstein Added Aug 17, 2018 - 5:46pm
Fake Media - Media that reports the facts inaccurately with the obvious intent to steer the public in a particular direction.  For example, those that make it sound like Trump thinks all journalists are enemies of the state are guilty of disseminating fake news.  Lo and behold, it would appear you’re a member of the fake media.
FacePalm Added Aug 17, 2018 - 6:15pm
EABC-
Once upon a time, there MIGHT have been journalists:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America as an independent press. You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.
The business of the journalists is:
to destroy the truth;
to lie outright;
to pervert;
to vilify;
to fawn at the feet of mammon, and
to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.
You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."
-- John Swinton(1829-1901) Former Head of Editorial Staff for the New York Times was one of America's best loved newspapermen.  Called by his peers "The Dean of his Profession", in 1880, at a banquet in his honor.
Source: Labor's Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979

Please note the approximate date of Mr. Swinton's address: 1880's.

So the next question is, who owns the presses/news outlets today, and what is their agenda?  Let us now move forward several years and read:

"One of our best-kept secrets is the degree to which a handful of huge corporations control the flow of information in the United States. Whether it is television, radio, newspapers, magazines, books or the Internet, a few giant conglomerates are determining what we see, hear and read. And the situation is likely to become much worse as a result of radical deregulation efforts by the Bush administration and some horrendous court decisions. Television is the means by which most Americans get their “news.” Without exception, every major network is owned by a huge conglomerate that has enormous conflicts of interest. … The bottom line is that fewer and fewer huge conglomerates are controlling virtually everything that the ordinary American sees, hears and reads. This is an issue that Congress can no longer ignore."
-- Bernie Sanders(1941-) US Senator VT, former US Congressman VT
Source: “Congress Can No Longer Ignore Corporate Control of the Media,” The Hill (12 June 2002)

Or perhaps some nfo from Korten:

“Although large corporations have created many enjoyable products and services, there are numerous costs associated with them that are rarely analyzed in the mainstream media. Corporations now control much of the world's resources, technology, money, and power. Of the 100 largest economies in the world, 51 of them are not nations, but corporations. The top 200 corporations have combined sales of over 7 trillion dollars—greater than the combined Gross National Product of all but nine of the largest nations and more than the combined economies of 182 nations. They account for 28 percent of the world's Gross Domestic Product, yet, they only employ a tiny fraction of the world's population—less than one-third of one percent.1”
1Sarah Anderson & John Cavanagh, Top 200: The Rise of Global Corporate Power (Washington, DC: Institute for Policy Studies, 1996), 1 July 2000 www.corpwatch.org/trac/corner/glob/ips/top200.html and David C. Korten, The Post-Corporate World (San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, West Hartford, CT: Kumarian Press, 1999) p. 42.
~William C. Gladish, USAF pilot(ret), MS Aeronautical Sciences, founder of Critical Decision Foundation http://www.acriticaldecision.org/links/about-the-founder.html

"Thus corporations finally claimed the full rights enjoyed by individual citizens while being exempted from many of the responsibilities and liabilities of citizenship. Furthermore, in being guaranteed the same right to free speech as individual citizens, they achieved, in the words of Paul Hawken, 'precisely what the Bill of Rights was intended to prevent: domination of public thought and discourse.' The subsequent claim by corporations that they have the same right as any individual to influence the government in their own interest pits the individual citizen against the vast financial and communi
FacePalm Added Aug 17, 2018 - 6:24pm
...and communications resources of the corporation and mocks the constitutional intent that all citizens have an equal voice in the political debates surrounding important issues."
-- David C. Korten
Source: in his book, When Corporations Rule the World, 2001
If one now can presume that the vast majority of the aforementioned corporate board members are globalists quite intent on establishing the NWO/OWG of a group of unelected "elites" who wish to be a new aristocracy unaccountable to anyone(see citation below), and the reasons for the bias as well as the "infotainment" masquerading as "news" today could become quite clear.

"The technetronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values.  "Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities."
-- Zbigniew Brezhinsky, National Security Advisor to President Jimmy Carter and advisor to 4 other presidents, Executive Director of Trilateral Commission
Source: from his book, BETWEEN TWO AGES, 1970.

Trump screwed up their NWO/OWG plans for at least a generation, perhaps longer, if he continues to roll up the pedophiles.
(websearch "Operation Broken Heart," recently concluded, with ZERO "reporting," and consider deeply why the news blackout on it and other major pedophile roundups world-wide.)

If you're unaware of Trumps Dec. 21 EO and Declaration of Emergency(which ALSO got ZERO MSM coverage), you'll be more hip as to what's going on behind the scenes, too.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Aug 17, 2018 - 7:37pm

Very

Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 8:10pm
Bill - I definitely agree with you that the law is fucked up and has been for decades. And that is exactly what we cannot get to discussing because there is so much noise generated by the uproar over the policies. Remember that the uproar is being deliberately fostered and manipulated by the administration, partially in order to hide the intent of their policies.

Now, I remember a significant amount of coverage during the Obama years about the problems involved with the masses of youth who came to the border in about 2015. I remember also reports that said that the amount of deportations under Obama reached historical highs (don't know how they compare to the last year). But yes, the stories have kept coming day after day, because of the complete ineptitude and horrendous results from the implementation of the zero tolerance policy. That was justifiably reported on, and it is obvious that this is viewed with alarm by those who support this administration. To them I say, tough tiddlywinks!

We do need to get to real issues on immigration. But how do you deal with someone who kept saying "we have to do something for the kids" i.e. DACA, then when a bipartisan solution was presented, comes out with comments about shithole nations and throws the offer out. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 8:12pm
Ari - by his own words, he is impugning the vast majority of the media. When you point to a group of people who are corralled behind barricades and refer to them as the horrible, horrendous, fake media, it doesn't sound to me that he's making many exceptions. Except of course for his beloved Fox. That example of throwing red meat to his rabid supporters is what I think will lead to violence.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 8:15pm
Face - don't know what to say in response to your comments. What I will say is that to some extent it is up to us to continue to get the truth out. But what is the truth when there is no objective reality that we all agree to?
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 17, 2018 - 8:20pm
Jeffry - hard to believe that was 11 years ago. Even harder to believe that with all this time since then, we've not had a comprehensive program to deal with the decay of our infrastructure since that time.

The I35 bridge collapse started with a single-point failure. It is extremely poor design to allow a single point failure to cause the entire failure of the structure. I'm going to guess that the investigation into Genoa will show another single-point failure. Other cable-stayed bridges are built to withstand the loss of a single stay, but it looks like this one had a lack of redundancy.
FacePalm Added Aug 17, 2018 - 8:47pm
Face -
don't know what to say in response to your comments.

Well, hopefully you'll both reflect on them as well as investigate at least some of what was hinted (broadly) at.

Yes, indeedy-dee...especially the truth that the MSM will NOT report upon.

But what is the truth when there is no objective reality that we all agree to?
IME, there is either objective reality or subjective reality; subjective reality depends almost entirely on how one "feels" about it; objective reality is - in short - what is true.  i can't imagine that what is objectively true NEEDS anyone to "agree" that it's true; it just IS.
Bill H. Added Aug 17, 2018 - 10:45pm
FP-
"To destroy the truth;
to lie outright;
to pervert;
to vilify;
to fawn at the feet of mammon, and
to sell his country and his race for his daily bread."
I'm sure most of us know who this applies to recently!
FacePalm Added Aug 17, 2018 - 11:54pm
Not Trump; definitely the employees of the MSM, the Mouths of Sauron for the Democrats, though!

After all, John Swinton, former head of the editorial staff of the NYT, told us the foregoing over a hundred years ago, and he was ONLY referring to the bought'n'paid-for jumping jacks of the media.
Ward Tipton Added Aug 18, 2018 - 12:02am
AP Style Guide - Pro Life? Verboten! Must be Anti-Abortion ... we cannot have terms which indicate the physical loss of life which occurs during the process of abortion. To indicate the death of a baby, one need only be supportive of the "Right of Choice" but if one opposes the murder of a Baby, they are not pro-life! They are ANTI-ABORTION.

Do not include the race of the perpetrator if the same is a person of color. If they are Hispanic, refer to them as White-Hispanic. If they are Muslim, we will simply refer to them as Asian.

Science Denier - Believe in scientifically verifiable X and Y Chromosome? SCIENCE DENIER!

Global Cooling ... I mean Warming ... now Climate Change or preferred, AGW or MANMADE Climate Change.

Nope. No prejudice there.

As for (American) immigration and the problems with illegal alien invaders; considering that the statistics I have seen indicate that eight out of ten people who use the drug cartels or coyotes to get across the border (or virtually everyone coming across the border illegally as unlike the government, the drug cartels and coyotes do secure their portions of the border) will experience a violation of their person. A full eighty percent of people coming across the border will be used as a drug mule, raped, beaten, robbed or even murdered ... all of which could be resolved in large part by merely securing the border. Why would you promote any lack of action that allows for such egregious abuses to continue unchecked?

Should there be massive immigration reform? Absolutely, but not until the border is secured. We already tried it in the reverse in the eighties and we still do not have a secured border. Secure the border then work out a compromise.
Flying Junior Added Aug 18, 2018 - 3:47am
It makes me sad to see contributors such as William Stockton, Pardero and perhaps even TexasLynn actually cheer the decline in the great American newspapers.  I think Pardero was cheering the actual death of these institutions as if somehow right-wing propaganda/opinion sites could ever take their place.

Of course, investigative journalism, world correspondents, local and state level reporters that put in the miles and the shoe leather...  These are the men and women who bring the real news and have been doing so for hundreds of years.  Remember the war coverage of Viet Nam?  Absolutely stunning.  World-changing.  Neither is there any substitute for local newspapers.  Local Channel 6, 8 or 10 team coverage of the latest police and disaster stories is a poor substitute indeed.

There ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.  How many of the alternative sources that these conservatives tout even have any news network at all?  To their credit, News Corp employs a small cadre of dedicated professionals.  How many reporters does rush Limbaugh have working for him?  Trump calls his show to congratulate him.  Nuff said.

But television news will never be anything more than second-hand stories.  It is the great newspapers that have defined journalism in the U.S.A. and across the globe and for the last three hundred years.
Flying Junior Added Aug 18, 2018 - 3:52am
BTW there have always been thousands of conservative newspapers over the last one hundred years or more.  As long as their coverage is honest, we may overlook the bias and find information and truth.  In my own home, Copley newspapers have always held a conservative bias.  Yet for local news, they are indispensable.  The La Jolla Light is largely run by conservative republicans, but any hard-working and intelligent reporter or editor is welcome to apply.  The San Diego Union-Tribune has traditionally been very conservative, but many staff members and editors are quite liberal.  It's a healthy relationship.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 18, 2018 - 12:13pm
Ward - do you have a link to the AP style guide you are quoting? I saw nothing of that in the links I pulled up. Thanks.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 18, 2018 - 12:17pm
FJ - our local paper, the WV Gazette-Mail, is a merged paper. The Gazette, the old morning paper, was the crusading investigative reporting newspaper. The Daily Mail was the afternoon, conservative / Republican paper. In our merged version, both have separate editorial pages that face each other. It is an interesting perspective, but one that shows that competing views can at least share the same space.

Monetarily though, the paper had to file for bankruptcy this year and ended up being bought by the local media company that also prints the Huntington newspaper, just 50 miles up the road. You can see evidence of less local coverage and more dependence upon pooled coverage for the region. But we still do have a paper copy 6 days a week (electronic only for Mondays).
Flying Junior Added Aug 18, 2018 - 3:23pm
It's a tough market.  Things are actually looking up in Southern California as billionaire biotech venture capitalist Patrick Soon-Shiong has bought both the Union-Tribune and the Los Angeles Times bringing a return to local ownership.  He has some interesting ideas about how to make the papers profitable.  The San Diego Union-Tribune enjoys wide home delivery circulation as does the LAT.

Here is a statement by our new investor, Patrick Soon-Shiong.

"It is often said that Southern California is the place where the world comes to see its future. It has welcomed generations of immigrants who worked hard, started new businesses and helped others do the same," Soon-Shiong said in a note to The Times and other publications. "My own family immigrated from southern China to South Africa generations ago. We chose to settle in Los Angeles because this is the place that most felt like home.

"Ultimately, this decision is deeply personal for me. As someone who grew up in apartheid South Africa, I understand the role that journalism needs to play in a free society."

FacePalm Added Aug 18, 2018 - 3:28pm
Freedom of the press these days is reliant upon just who owns the presses.  Same w/the MSM.  Just who owns what is almost always readily available w/a websearch these days, and a modicum of investigatory work into the owner(s) can readily give insight into their motives for allowing this and denying that coverage.

Some people have quite a vested interest in suppressing certain information; finding out "why" is often the job of any TRUE journalist, most of which you find online these days.  Those who pay your salary are those who are the gatekeepers, so unless you're independent or nearly so(like you get Patreon or GoFundMe support), your truth simply won't be heard, the results of your investigations suppressed, the realities you discover and wish to reveal remain hidden in the darkness of editorial control...to wit:

“So I became a newspaperman. I hated to do it, but I couldn’t find honest employment.”
—Mark Twain

"In March, 1915, the J.P. Morgan interests, the steel, shipbuilding, and powder interests, and their subsidiary organizations, got together 12 men high up in the newspaper world and employed them to select the most influential newspapers in the United States and sufficient number of them to control generally the policy of the daily press. … They found it was only necessary to purchase the control of 25 of the greatest papers. An agreement was reached; the policy of the papers was bought, to be paid for by the month; an editor was furnished for each paper to properly supervise and edit information regarding the questions of preparedness, militarism, financial policies, and other things of national and international nature considered vital to the interests of the purchasers."
-- Oscar Callaway(1872-1947) U.S. Congressman, TX-D (1911-1917)
Source: Congressional Record of February 9, 1917, page 2947, as entered by Representative Oscar Callaway of Texas
James Travil Added Aug 18, 2018 - 6:12pm
Say what you will but in my book when a network like CNN and the BBC deliberately run fake news pro-war psyops, they suck. And unrepentant, unapologetic fake news IS FAKE and inexcusable. If not the enemy of the people they certainly are in the least not our friends. You can keep your fake news "free press" I'll stick with REAL news from quality independent alternative journalism. Places like Information Clearing House and Wikileaks. You know it's absolutely hilarious the utter hypocrisy of those who claim to support freedom of the press who are often the first to call for the arrest of people like Julian Assange whos only "crime" is doing actual real journalism.
James Travil Added Aug 18, 2018 - 6:29pm
Herein this article is proof that CNN and the BBC ran a pro-war fake news Psy-Op
“Five Reasons To Be Absolutely Certain That The Establishment Is Lying About Syria” https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/five-reasons-to-be-absolutely-certain-that-the-establishment-is-lying-about-syria-46402a4c7888
And here are some reliable journalistic resources, for those fed up with lies of the MSM: Quality Alternative Independent Journalism - “News & Views” https://medium.com/@griscray/news-views-c7ef10421924
Bill H. Added Aug 18, 2018 - 8:37pm

FP - So tell me outright that you don't think Trump at least throws out some bullshit let's say 30% of the time?
Ward Tipton Added Aug 18, 2018 - 10:55pm
Bill H - Has there ever been a politician who did not?

EABC - When I was working as an Editor I had to buy my copy. I believe the only way to get one legally is to purchase it. Right to life or Pro Life is fobidden, it must be Anti-Abortion. Any weapon that has believed to be modified in any fashion should be labeled as an assault weapon.

You may note some of the changes in writing you have had published if you have published in print as well.
Bill H. Added Aug 19, 2018 - 12:18am
Of course, every politician has lied or at least modified the truth to some extent, but Trump has made lying pretty much his favorite pastime. If you honestly go back and truth-check much of what he has told the American public on major issues, most of it is total bullshit.
If you believe all or most of it, then you are a true Trump minion.
Ryan Messano Added Aug 19, 2018 - 2:07am
I’m convinced Television is the worst communication medium in human history.

Trump is 100% correct.  The news media has appointed themselves arbiters of the truth, and they are quite blind.  My local paper has taken to totally censoring my letters.  This is a liberals wet dream, as they fantasize over silencing disagreeable opinions, as it disturbs their safe spaces.  The newspaper even deleted entire sentences from my letters, with no explanation to the readers that this was done.

They are totally untrustworthy.  I was in San Jose today for an anti pedophile rally, and antifa showed up to protest us.  That means they are pedophiles, which isn’t a good look.  They were like animals, as they had to be constantly restrained by police.  50-100 police officers showed up, which is a huge waste of taxpayer dollars, to keep the peace because of deluded and corrupt citizens.  The Democrats corruption, delusions, and ignorance costs America billions every year.

NOT ONE MEDIA SOURCE SHOWED UP TO INTERVIEW US.

So 90% of the city of San Jose will he oblivious about this tomorrow.  Pretty scary when the people you trust to tell you the news are deliberately not doing their jobs.
Flying Junior Added Aug 19, 2018 - 2:36am
Well Travil,

If what Ms. Johnstone says is true, you should be thrilled that Trump is getting ready to hand over complete control of Syria to Putin.  I guess everything is going to be okay once we tamp down those pesky freedom fighters.  Long live President Assad!

Shame on BBC and NPR for making up all of those phony barrel bomb attacks!  Sick, sick!  Disgusting fake news!  Do you honestly expect me to believe that Assad has a fetish for hurting his own people?

Comedy gold, James.  In a dark way.
Flying Junior Added Aug 19, 2018 - 2:44am
Messano,

Waste of taxpayer $$?  How about you reactionary idiots just stay home and the good people won't have to come out to oppose you?  "They were like animals."  I don't blame them for opposing sick twisted ideologies such as your own.

Anti-pedophile rally?  You can't fool me.  It was anti-gay you lyin' sack of shit.

So the local newspaper, "censors," your letters?  More likely they will block your email and have a standing order to recycle anything that you send in.  You cried, "Wolf!" one time too many, buddy.  The newspaper thinks that you are nothing more than a witless crank.
opher goodwin Added Aug 19, 2018 - 4:18am
EABC - exactly right. The fascists got to be elected through bullying, threats, lies and promises.
What changes?
Thomas Napers Added Aug 19, 2018 - 4:55am
The hypocrisy is priceless.  Liberals brandish conservative network Fox News with the label “Faux News.”  Obama went so far as to say the network’s viewers are “living on a different planet” than the rest of us.  Conservatives than say similar remarks about the MSM and suddenly conservatives are the bad guys.  How do you look at yourself in the mirror?
James Travil Added Aug 19, 2018 - 5:32am
"Freedom fighters"?!?! WTF are you SERIOUS? Either you are a fool or a liar terrorist supporter, which is it flying DUMBASS? : Watch "Reality Check: Proof That Those "Moderate Rebels" in Syria are Really Jihadists" on YouTube - https://youtu.be/qfq66kgWusc
And BONUS it was your "hero" uncle Tom Obama himself who armed the Al Qaeda and ISIL terrorists in Syria you fuck!
Stone-Eater Added Aug 19, 2018 - 10:10am
How can one analyze geostrategic events and history of the last 50 years and not come to the conclusion that mass media is openly biased in favor of the Western war machine ? Free press ?

Ha LOL
Stone-Eater Added Aug 19, 2018 - 10:12am
BTW: Open your mind and you will see that millions of stupid sheep follow the left-right game created to keep them busy and off real topics :)
Ward Tipton Added Aug 19, 2018 - 11:32am
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Left footed Jackboot crushing throat gooooooooooooooood!

Right footed Jackboot crushing throat eeeeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiil!
Benjamin Goldstein Added Aug 19, 2018 - 12:20pm
I remember when Obama asked his followers not to listen to Rush Limbaugh. Clinton wasn't happy about the Drudge Report back in the day. Former chancelor Gerhard Schroeder (Social Democrat SPD) whined about a "media campaign" against him. This is all a good sign that there still is a media. Under Merkel no government official is whining. A deafening silence.
Bill Kamps Added Aug 19, 2018 - 1:29pm

Nothing Trump is doing stops Congress from acting and passing new laws.  When Trump vetos a immigration bill, then we can say he is standing in the way of Congress solving the problem.

Both Obama and Trump, have had to decide how to selectively enforce the seriously flawed law.  I dont like either's choice.

There are two sources of noise right now, Trump and the media, and they are fighting a duel.  To blame one side and not the other is a bit disingenuous.
FacePalm Added Aug 19, 2018 - 4:07pm
Bill H-
Yes, i've seen where Trump often lies.  i think that - being an America First-er - he knows well that his globalist enemies are legion, and he feels the need to throw them off the track - or at least keep them off -balance - while he readies them for a big fall.

i hope.

Consider, if you've ever read it, Trump's Dec. 21, 2017 EO and Declaration of Emergency sent to Congress, about human trafficking and those who have been corrupted by it(including politicians worldwide), which grants the relevant US dept's the power to freeze the assets of any caught so doing - then reflect on the fact that this HUGE news story has gotten ZERO media coverage whatsoever on MSM; the ONLY place you'll hear about it - or the massive numbers of pedophile arrests that have taken place since Jan 20, 2017 - is a very few online sources.

Just yesterday, i ran across an article about Operation Broken Heart, which netted 2300 online pedos, wrapped up in June - but not a peep from MSM.  Ever wonder why?
Dr. Rupert Green Added Aug 19, 2018 - 4:21pm
As horrible as the press is, it is a subtle and dangerous approach that the president is using to mobilize bias against it. As far fetched as it appears, a battle in America may emerge from the defense of the press.
FacePalm Added Aug 19, 2018 - 5:41pm
Based on the latest viewership figures - especially for MSNBC and CNN - whatever his strategy is, it appears to be working quite well.

If most of MSM hadn't cried "Wolf!" every 3 minutes, never or rarely broadcasting ANY good news concerning the many successes of the Trump admin., more people would be tuning in; it's no one's fault but MSM that so many are tuning out and turning away.  Americans don't much care for liars, especially in "flyover" country.

CNN's campaign to get the leftist media giants @ gaggle, facespace, tweetie, disgus t, vimeo, and many others to "ban Infowars," for example, constitutes "tortious interference," that is, CNN importuned all these platforms to cease carrying a direct competitor who was getting an aggregate of viewership more than 4x CNN, and half again as much as MSNBC on a weekly basis; these Horns of the Beast can't stand the competition, but really will have no choice once the suits are concluded, i suspect.

Then, too, it's entirely possible that some of the ownership of MSM will be caught up in the pedophile trap, and be DRIVEN out of business, too.

Last i heard, there were nxs of 40k sealed indictments @ DoJ; based on Trump's EO and DoE, i find it more likely than not that many of the sealed indictments will be to roll up the more hi-profile pedos.
Joanne Corey Added Aug 19, 2018 - 7:44pm
Thank you, Clock, for speaking up for freedom of the press. I appreciate you adding your voice to the August 16 editorials and articles.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 19, 2018 - 8:56pm
Ward - can you post a link to the AP style guide you were referring to? I may wish to purchase it just to see if what you say is true. Thanks.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 19, 2018 - 8:58pm
Face - I'm sorry you've fallen for the Q protocol in all of its glory. You will be sorely disappointed when none of its exaggerated claims about 40,000 indictments turns out to be, as Tom Magliazzi used to say on his NPR show, Booooguuus!
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 19, 2018 - 9:01pm
Bill Kamps - right now, Congress and the administration are in a state of total paralysis. As long as the party that has the majority control in the branches of Congress insist upon not bringing legislation on the floor that does not have enough votes to pass merely by the votes of the leading party, we will never get any sort of bipartisan solution. Guess what? We need bipartisan solutions. Neither side will get exactly what they want, but we will hopefully be moving towards a better solution than sitting here spinning our wheels.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 19, 2018 - 9:02pm
Joanne - thanks. That was my intent, to add my voice. And I appreciate this forum for allowing me to disseminate my opinion beyond the reach of my voice.
Ward Tipton Added Aug 19, 2018 - 10:51pm
Oddly enough, the AP Stylebook is available on the AP website. The Associated Press

The original intent of the Congress and the Senate being separate bodies was to create so much infighting that there would not be excessive amounts of legislation created. The passage of the Seventeenth Amendment changed the senate into nothing more than an extension of the congress.

I would be far more impressed if they spent more time getting rid of antiquated and/or abusive regulations and not just creating new ones all the time.
FacePalm Added Aug 20, 2018 - 4:02am
i'm impressed that Trump has managed to remove so many oppressive and restrictive regulations upon US business, and has succeeded in large degree toward providing a "happy place" for capital to be invested and industry built, especially in manufacturing, which is the basis for any country's success; his great strides in leveling the playing field for international trade instead of being the host for the world's parasites is a Good Thing, too.

(as an irrelevant and probably pedantic aside, Congress refers to the House of Reps and the Senate; there'd be no such critter as the Senate and the Congress, technically.)
FacePalm Added Aug 20, 2018 - 7:26am
EABC-
FYI, didn't get that figure from Q, and am very suspicious of that group as a source for squat...as you may perhaps recall from the article dedicated to that subject here, not long ago.

Second, if you wish to count them for yourself, here's a great tutorial on how to do so:
PACER tutorial

Third, you say:

Boiled down, what you wrote above amounts to "None of the claims will turn out be "Booooguuuus," which i suspect is the opposite meaning to what you intended.

What i recommend to you is this:  Websearch "december 21 2017 executive order declaration of emergency" and read up on what you find - then contemplate the fact that Trump is doing his level best to keep every one of his many campaign promises, then add to the mix his intent to "drain the swamp," and conclude as you wish.

All i can tell you is that the "fireman prophet," Mark Taylor, says that God told him there would be "military-style tribunals" coming, and he says he has info from secular sources which have told him that multiple retired military officers have been recalled to active duty, AND the housing facilities at Guantanamo have been expanded.

inmate housing @ guantanamo

So, wait and see.  If i'm wrong, i'll find this article and apologize.  If i'm right, what will YOU do?
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 20, 2018 - 9:30am
Face - If you are right, I may be looking to emigrate. That would indicate that the lunacy takeover was complete and irreversible. I'm really hoping that November brings sanity back into the realm.
FacePalm Added Aug 20, 2018 - 7:09pm
EABC-
If you are right, I may be looking to emigrate.
Shirley, you jest.  ROFL.

That would indicate that the lunacy takeover was complete and irreversible.
Again, according to Mark Taylor, the democrats are going to lose big-time.

I'm really hoping that November brings sanity back into the realm.
If enough democrats are defeated, sanity will indeed return, albeit with many arrests and prosecutions, first.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 21, 2018 - 10:37am
Of course using someone who hears directly from God as a primary source for what is going to happen is bound to result in a good outcome. And I hear that God anointed Donald Trump as the reincarnation of King David since God always uses the sinners to redeem the souls of the silent majority. And I hear Niburu is going to make an appearance and cause the poles to shift and we will all go under an immense tidal wave and drown. The end!
FacePalm Added Aug 21, 2018 - 5:05pm
Nah.
King Cyrus of Persia, who sent the captive Israelites back to Jerusalem to rebuild their temple, after giving them back all the golden implements their conquerors had once taken.

But i don't know that citing a prophet in any way guarantees a "good" outcome; the history of Israel usually involves prophets forecasting dire consequences if they didn't change their ways - which they usually refused to do - resulting in war, famine, slaughter, and captivity over and over again.

i'm guessing you didn't visit sordprophesy.com and read up, yet?
You may find the story of the fireman who retired and got a vision while he was sick as a dog to be of some small interest.

Taylor had zip to say about Nibiru, and every time i've checked youtube to find dire warnings of it coming "next month," it never does, so i'm  thinkin' "disinfo" program, now.

My vague recollections of Sitchin(Zechariah; penned multi-volumes based on his translations of ancient Sumerian texts) tell me that it wasn't due for a lifetime or more, but i'd have to re-read to be sure; there's definitely been some mighty strange weather anomalies, double-suns appearing, major sinkholes opening up, and a "booming" sound that no one can explain happening all over the world.  SOMEthing's up, that's for sure.

The Chinese have a curse: "May you live in interesting times."  Things are DEFINITELY interesting, both in good ways and bad.
James Travil Added Aug 22, 2018 - 1:02am
Back on the original topic, if the American establishment corporate mainstream media outlets are so just and truthful, why have they virtually blacked out all news regarding the American backed war crimes in Yemen until recently? It didn't just start last week, although you wouldn't know it if you only get your "news" from the MSM.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 22, 2018 - 10:47am
James, I've heard many stories on NPR. That's my primary news source. All of the sordid information about the school bus being targeted using US-supplied weapons was fully covered there.
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 22, 2018 - 10:49am
To all - I am leaving on vacation as of August 22 (today) and I do not normally post or comment on my phone, so this comment stream will not have any responses from me until after Labor Day. Have a good end of summer in the northern hemisphere.
James Travil Added Aug 22, 2018 - 5:02pm
Well I don't get my news via NPR or any other government mouthpiece. I only use quality independent alternative news sites, places like Zero Hedge and Truthdig. They have been reporting on this illegal war since it started over three years ago, not just in the last few weeks. The MSM is just now catching up: “MSM Finally Concedes Defeat On Yemen, Ceases Blackout Of Coverage” https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/msm-finally-concedes-defeat-on-yemen-ceases-blackout-of-coverage-1b774266dbfe
James Travil Added Aug 22, 2018 - 5:02pm
Enjoy your vacation.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 24, 2018 - 11:04am
EABC -  can't share your view here, but a valiant effort nonetheless.

Cops and journalists both look to garner public sympathy for the shitty things they have to endure just "doing their job".

My advice to both would be this: Don't choose a career as a fishmonger and then whine when everyone you meet tells you (honestly) that your odor offends.