The Suicide of Singer Daniel Kübelböck Is Political

I must confess that I never took interest in the casting show German Idol (German title: Deutschland sucht den Superstar).

What I know is that Daniel Küblböck was the talk of the show’s first season. The winner was selected by an audience vote. He did not win, but enough people voted for him to keep him present until the third last show of the season. His voice was average and he was not hot. He got the votes because hundreds of magazines and TV shows mentioned him. This was a management decision. Astroturfing. A decision from the elites is given the appearance as if it were a grassroot phenomenon.

Why was he hyped? He was a man-child, androgynous, gender confused and very outspoken about it.  He also was a genuinely nice guy, likable, and the perfect promotion conduit. But there is a time limit for influencing teenagers and those who pushed him out of a bread-winning lifestyle into a big financial straw fire knew it from the beginning. It was cynical.

Soon the hype was over. He started to invest his money in real estate and stocks, I guess, with mixed success. Kübelböck fell off the radar. Eventually, he got himself adopted by a millionaire. It smacks of prostitution.

The movie “Pretty Woman” is a fantasy. The reality of courtesanship is not pretty. The entertainment industry is authoritarian and a sexual exploitation. There is nothing romantic about it.

In recent months Kübelböck posted pictures of himself in female clothes. For all I can see, his general demeanor did not speak for a gender dysphoria at all. He was not a transsexual. He hit the rock bottom (pun intended) of sexual exploitation. History of men knows many male prostitutes that dressed like women.

His recent profile name on Instagram was “Rose,” like the character from the movie “Titanic.” On Sunday morning he climbed over the railing of a big ship. Nobody called him back. He jumped into the icy waters of Canada and sank to his death.

A war cry of the student protests in the sixties and seventies was “The private is political.” It became synonymous with an attitude of overarching authoritarianism, privacy invasion, and encroachment of individual rights. However, dimming the screeching leftist voices in our heads a bit, we can admit that the individual does shed a light on society and politics at large. This is more so the case for a public figure like Daniel Küblböck.

I saw angry reactions over his death and they come to show us that suicide is never private. A suicide should also not start a cheap blame game. The loved ones who are left behind are often the least responsible for the tragedy. Some people react almost violently. Comments under the newspaper articles claimed that the barely detectable inconveniences of the other passengers or the rescue teams were the reason why they have no respect for the late singer.

I think that the aggressive ones react aggressively because they know that it is exactly people like them that make others go that way. And isn’t it political? Don’t we see people react aggressively who are devoid of self-reflection, can never concede a point, cannot argue and must therefore act out on their victims?

Kübleböck’s suicide is the result of our culture. One reason that pushed him over was that religious homophobia, also embodied in the Torah, caused direct bullying. The second reason is that it drove him into the arms of false friends who exploited this weakness of many religious people to fight religion as such. A third reason was that in the toxic climate created by zealots on both sides people became overprotective of queers and joined in the aggression against perceived attackers. This again makes criticism of homosexuals impossible because the overprotective people deny the possibility that critics can have good intentions.

This is also exactly what we see with Islam although the first round, the aggression against Islam, was originally made up and is a child of ubiquitous propaganda. From there the same dynamics follow. The back and forth between jihadis and people who have come to hate Muslims was hijacked by haters of our Judeo-Christian culture. Then a second layer of manipulated overprotectors emerged.

I wonder how that life had been lived if these hostilities were not an issue. Why haven’t men reached out to him and helped him to find a manly role in society? Nothing spoke against his ability to work on a normal, financially stable job. He had romantic feelings for men and women alike. Did somebody talk to him about fatherhood? One can respect that bisexuals choose members of the same sex as partners, wish them the best and still see that Daniel Kübleböck did not receive that worthwhile love.

His body sank, but his soul rose. I bow down in his honor. Rest in peace.

Comments

Lindsay Wheeler Added Sep 13, 2018 - 7:13pm
"Kübleböck’s suicide is the result of our culture. One reason that pushed him over was that religious homophobia,"

And where is this referenced? This was an interesting story---until the author started to make it into a political propaganda piece. Just HOW do you know he leaped because of "homophobia"?  And why oh, why do you preface it with "religious"?  Many men are turned away from homosexuals NATURALLY because homos act like women! It has nothing to do with religious strictures.

Your characterization of him as "an-child, androgynous, gender confused" is pointing out a failed man, an effeminate and child. A male that was never masculinized, not habitualized in virtue.

It was a world of non-dogmatism that allowed this guy to become a failed man, gave him NO direction, and he offed himself.

Nature kills off the weak. It's just Natural!

Ken Added Sep 14, 2018 - 2:52am
article is interest, but considering you re completely assuming his situation with no knowledge, just guessing, no idea what his state of mind was on the ship (again, just assumptions), it is pretty thick of you to assume ANYTHING about what was in his mind and why this trouble man chose death.  You provide no evidence he was forced to do what he did, you provide no evidence that he was a "male prostitute"

You simply make a bunch of assumptions based on your belief system.  you may be 100% right, but you also may be 100% wrong.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 14, 2018 - 3:29pm
LW:
The title gave a fair warning, though. ;-)
Just HOW do you know he leaped because of "homophobia"?
I say it is a factor in it. He and the people around him reported a lot of incidents of bullying.
And why oh, why do you preface it with "religious"?
It is indeed "shrift." I mean that the Torah did play a factor in the development of homophobia. It is, of course, also carried on by people who are not religious.
Yes, but before Abrahamic believes went global, hardly any cultures were so harsh about it.
There is no world of non-dogmatism. If Europeans were less dogmatic about the career path patterns, he might have changed to a bread-winning lifestyle again.

Ken:
You provide no evidence he was forced to do what he did.
Would you mind to quote back to me where I say that he was forced to do what he did? Thanks.
you provide no evidence that he was a "male prostitute"
That is true. Therefore I qualified that with "smacks of." It's an educated guess. The man dressed like a woman, called himself like a move character that wanted to jump ship because she was promised to a rich man she didn't love and then does jump himself from a luxury cruise ship into the freezing ocean. An educated guess.
You simply make a bunch of assumptions based on your belief system.
There is a great book about how all our thinking is based on assumptions alone. "Meditationes de Prima Philosophia" by mathematician and philosopher Rene Descartes.

Ken Added Sep 14, 2018 - 6:11pm
You implied that he wasn't dressing as a female or living with the man of his own free will, maybe i misinterpreted, but you are still reaching an ideological conclusion with no basis in fact.  Darn those homophobic religious zealots for causing his suicide!
Lindsay Wheeler Added Sep 14, 2018 - 9:40pm
The Torah teaches "Thou shalt not kill" so is there such a thing as Murderphobia??????  I mean really!  How stupid is this!  We should let all murderers go because the Torah teaches that Murder is wrong---so in order NOT discriminate and hurt a murderer's feelings, we need to let him go!  We shouldn't have Murderphobia!
Jeff Michka Added Sep 14, 2018 - 9:41pm
Well, gee, BG....You got told you're all wrong by two of WB's newest crop of ERWs, getting really upset over something, I believe was your "positive" article about some gay guy (don't know his music) who sadly killed himself, undoubtedly due to some of the reasons in your article.  I think it's pretty safe to say both LW and Kenny are homophobes, as part of their rightism AND religious leanings..  Kenny gets at me saying my reading is poor, however all these rightists are sounding all the same.  What one says, sooner or later, another will replicate,  Remember this is, WB....character doesn't matter, but gender does.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 15, 2018 - 2:43am
LW: We punish murder because it is obviously detrimental to mankind and against the will of the creator. Nobody would argue that allowing murder were in G-d's or society's interest.

Michka:
don't know his music
Lucky you. No, in all seriousness, you can check out on Youtube. example1 example2 example3 You decide if people were mesmerized by his talents or if his hype was a management decision in the media.
I think it's pretty safe to say both LW and Kenny are homophobes.
I refrain from such a judgement. LW explained in one of his article that he minds effeminization and, I think, he said there that the sex part does not play a role for him. But I don't know and care really. Ken is much less likely to have a problem with homosexuality. He is worried that I see religion as one driver, among others, that results in things like this. Bus as I said in the article above, this is not meant to be a cheap blame game. I think we can all agree that as a society we all failed a bit.
Maureen Foster Added Sep 15, 2018 - 11:05pm
Unless he wrote a note, you have no idea why he committed suicide. One thing is for sure, our culture is not one that relishes bullying, homophobia and religious intolerance.  So what killed him was not culture. I also fail to see the connection to Islam in your message.  Whatever you’re trying to say about Islam has no relevance with his suicide.  I also have no idea why you blamed his suicide on politics per your title when nothing about politics is mentioned in the body of your article. In short, this article has me totally confused.
Ken Added Sep 15, 2018 - 11:55pm

This is correct.  I don't know whether you are wrong or not, I am simply pointing out you are jumping to conclusions based on no actual evidence.

As an aside -

And mischka does have a reading comprehension issue which I have pointed out several times.  I am not religious at all, I defend people's rights to their faith however, and all too often in the current climate faith and religion are discriminated against for their beliefs.  Since they don't align with the left's secular theology, they are shut down and attacked.  I find that people that ascribe to "diversity" won't tolerate someone who thinks differently than they do to be quite hypocritical.

Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 16, 2018 - 3:36am
Maureen: You have a common point with Ken. I will  have a common section at the bottom of this reply.

And yet it is what happened to him. Bad side effects of a culture still exist if the majority is opposed to them. Muslims don't condone terrorism, Hispanics don't condone drug trafficking, and the Kongolese don't condone rape. Yet in these cultures the pehonomenons occur more often than in most other cultures.

I also fail to see the connection to Islam in your message.
Yes, that is because there is none. The passage that speaks about our relationship with Islam is given as an example of a general cultural phenomenon. The back and forth between two hating groups results in a class of people protecting one group fiercely and another group of people being angry that they cannot offer constructive helpful criticism and advice. I could have given many other examples. I wanted to highlight the general social phenomenon.
You will laugh when you read the very first comment under this article. Wheeler felt that there was too much politics in the body of the article.

Ken:
Mischka does not stand out with that problem. This is a BIG problem MANY people here have (and Mischka is a mild case). Maybe Maureen has an idea how this can be fixed. My suspicion is that there is too much free-wheeling "interpretation" classes in schools. Pupils are encouraged to "interpret" art, music, literature, and social matters in school without a consensus that an interpretation must be in the limits of what an author/producer/writer actually MEANT. The intention of somebody  who expresses himself in speech, writing or through art is brushed aside as unimportant. So pupils don't really learn to read. This is often called "postmodernism." There was a famous movie, "The Dead Poet Society", that made propaganda against getting to understand what an author meant. The message was that if pupils are free to change the meaning of whatever they read to what they like to think they become addictive about literature. They even rip out a page from the school book that explains some basic standards on which to judge a piece of text. Less drastically this is what happens in schools and the result is a mass of people who are basically illiterate and don't notice it.
I am not religious at all, I defend people's rights to their faith
I am religious.

Both Ken + Maureen:
Both of you feel that there should be more evidence to his motivation. Maureen would like to see a suicide note. In philosophy this is called epistemology. There is always just as much as one can know for sure. This article does not "jump to conclusions" (Ken). I qualify rigorously what is undisputed and what it "smacks of." I have mentioned a number of blinking arrows pointing in the directions that I line out and I see no hints going in a different direction. This is basically how we navigate our daily lives. One can offer me alternative theses. Maybe the man who said he saw him jump did not see it and lied for a reason? Maybe aliens abducted the singer and the MIB changed the memory of the witness. Maybe Kübelböck was agrieved over the death of a loved one and the entire cross dressing, identifying as Rose and jump from a luxury cruiser ship was unrelated to his grievances. If somebody wishes to convince me of one of these or any other alternative hypothesis, he is free to offer me one. We can then look into plausibility and evidence supporting either this or that. Suicide notes don't always reveal the reason either. One has to go with something.
Lindsay Wheeler Added Sep 16, 2018 - 10:22am
I love the hypocrisy of these people. Jeff Micha goes around attacking "racism" in others!  Yet in the words he uses---"Homophobia", or "newest crop of ERWs" he is showing Ideological racism!  His bigotry and hatred towards Christians!!!!  and toward God. Benjamin Goldstein shows his hatred as well--Hatred toward what is Right and Good.

Homosexuality is a perversion that seeks proselytites! They seek out teenagers and get them abused and then these victims become adults and abuse others. Homosexuality is by essence, unnatural. The anus is not built for penetration. The damage done to the body is tremendous, not including all sorts of diseases. I have been the recipient of many homosexual advances. I've seen it up close in the military and in the Church. Weak individuals succumb to the pressure.   Homosexuality damages. The suicide rate is high amongst the homosexual community because it is never satisfying. And most of all Homosexuality is a dysfunctionality of the libido. Homosexual men have hundreds if not thousands of liaisons. They are driven, driven to have numerous liaisons.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 16, 2018 - 1:26pm
Wheeler: Hate and disagreement are two different things.

Men in general prefer young partners. This is not a strategy.
The anus is not built for penetration.
I agree. I had an article about it.
The damage done to the body is tremendous, not including all sorts of diseases.
That's why I say that constructive criticism must not be mistaken for hate. Many homosexuals see also anal sex critically.
I have been the recipient of many homosexual advances.
Don't brag. So did I.
Homosexuality as such is not damaging. But the community sheltered from criticism often leads to dangerous behavior.
Homosexual men have hundreds if not thousands of liaisons.
I hope that gay marriage will create more stable relationships.
Jeff Michka Added Sep 16, 2018 - 7:01pm
Lindsay, sex aside, busily jerks himself off when trying to belittle me.  Lindsay just can't and won't admit his racism, and neither will Kenny, and I'll say it again, the rightists here all say the sane crap and all sund the same, one rightist not being different than the next, better to walk in lockstep, but Lindsay is the btt of my derision, as is Kenny.  Gee, Lindsay, so you don't engage in anal sex with same sex partners, while trying to convert them to Xtainity?  And, sure, Lindsay, I'm definitely bigoted against people expressing your views, or Kenny, for that matter.  If I were Kenny, I'd be deeply ashamed of sounding like Thomas Sutrino...I'm supposed to get soooo angry, and walk away to avoid attacks from mindless rightist dogs...."Woof, Lindsay, woof Kenny, Woof Rusted."  You all sound the same.
Gerrilea Added Sep 17, 2018 - 1:21am
BG-- Thank you for presenting this story to us.  I had never heard of Daniel before.   I'm not sure we can blame any specific group or religion for suicide as "the cause", it's so much deeper than this.  You are correct that our society is one of the biggest contributors.

If our Judo-Christian values were as "God" inspired as the hype surrounding them, then our suicide rates wouldn't have reached all time high's.

People are trained and conditioned on what to think, what to do and what they "should" believe. The bigotry Mr. Wheeler posted above exemplifies this. All he has is the illusion of his righteousness, nothing more.

The devolution of our collective "human" values is/was propagated by religion. It puts us all in nice neat little boxes...or tries to.

If we are to truly evolve, we must show others how to think logically and critically...not what. Give them the tools, let them decide what they will build.

Your brief bio of Daniel reflects someone whom had nothing to believe in, especially himself. He clearly didn't know who or what he was and we failed to inspire him, to help him discover, to create and become....a human...first.

Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 17, 2018 - 4:32pm
Gerrilea: Thank you for reading.
Exactly.
Have you heard of the Kohlberg stages of moral development? I only heard of it very recently. It is a theory and should be taken with care. The thing is that, of course, people claim to have a higher stage than they have. Others will refuse the theory because they resent not to be on a high stage. The usual level of an adult is the 4th stage. The reason why a lot of my texts cause a lot of confusion is because I am likely to be on the sixth stage. That means I understand the lower stages and understand their value, but people cannot understand really mine. The fourth stage is to judge a given behavior by a rule (convention or legal), although it can include breaking one rule for another one (we live by conflicting rules). The fifth stage is to be able to explain why which individual principle of a social principle (in our culture that would be democratic principles) are necessary for the functioning and well-being of everybody (Ken is writing his articles on that level). The sixth level is to understand why a social contract does not only serve a state. It understands that the value of the social contract can be judged on how well it protects the intuitively innate morals we have (e.g. sense of fairness, sense of justice/apt punishment, protection of a community and so on). I think it is difficult to teach people how to move to another level. I just accept that it makes it difficult for me sometimes to get a ball across even though the problem at hand is not intellectually challenging.
Gerrilea Added Sep 18, 2018 - 4:49am
BG--- Interesting theory.  I took a moment and reviewed the stages and the implications of there being a 6th & 7th stage that cannot be proven. It is a logical progression, I recall those "phases" of my own life. It goes hand-in-hand with synaptic creation as the brain grows.

What I find odd is that the theory claims one cannot move on to the next stage without having "internalized" the previous stages and it can't explain how some may "regress" into previous stages.

It ignores the first rule of humanity...we feel.

We love, hate, fear, envy, desire, despise and despair.

Without emotional evolution, the moral stages referenced, become moot.  We can have an esoteric discussion on various subjects and issues because we share and know "the facts".  Alas, is knowledge the same as knowing?  Surely it is not.  I suspect if he had a scale to measure "knowing", he'd find we already labeled it...as wisdom.

Wisdom would encompass his elusive 6th & 7th levels. A moment when your feelings are equal to your knowledge.  Where one doesn't control the other but where they work together AS one.

That said, how do we bring humanity to that level?

Then we could truly have a "just" society and a moral one to boot.

Government, laws and punishment would become unnecessary.

I would further add that our rote educational system does more harm than good for the evolution of our species...but I digress.

I'd love to delve into this further but I heard rumblings from my bed, it misses me....

Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 18, 2018 - 12:50pm
Gerrilea:
I personally don't find that claim off. As I said, I think this is because I am actually on stage six. I would not understand the potential stage seven. But I do understand all lower stages.
Do you remember Dave Volek? He was on the level 6 for some time, after having understood and questioned the social contract of his own culture, he kind of favored another one. He wrote a book about it. This other one, I didn't look into it, was basically Karl Marx' soviet republic model. Volek claimed that he amended it, but I don't see that. From there he slipped back into just explaining that one and not really keeping an open mind about it. I remember that he proposed that all human beings have to be perfected so that it works. I can tell you, if a moral system requires that we are already behaving in the best interest of ourselves and the people around us plus being fair, we would not need a moral system. So his "new" one was already tested and failed and everybody who experienced it know why. But Volek cannot back on the sixth level to debug it or change to another one again. I assume one regresses because the previous stage was not fully internatlized. Dave should have understood the strengths, not only the weaknesses, of his own social contract before hopping to make it last.
We love, hate, fear, envy, desire, despise and despair.
Stage1: Fear, hate, despair
Stage2: desire, love
Stage3: envy, despise
Stage 4, 5, 6:  (I think they are rational stages)
On stages 6, you realize that the social contract and the moral and legal system that eminates from it must be judged on how well it protects our innate moral impulses, although sometimes against them in less  intuitive cases (It can be moral to kill somebody if evil cannot be averted otherwise. The moral system must allow for this although it goes against our intuition.)
We agree on this, but we would probably agree a lot on the specifics.

Jeff Michka Added Sep 18, 2018 - 6:24pm
Enter your comment here...
Stone-Eater Added Sep 18, 2018 - 6:46pm
Wen interessiert Daniel Küblböck ? Hochstens einen Verhaltensforscher LOL
Ken Added Sep 18, 2018 - 7:55pm
Maybe the man who said he saw him jump did not see it and lied for a reason?

I didn't say the suicide didn't happen if someone witnessed it.  I am saying the motivations you ascribe to it have no actual basis in fact and are simply theoretical based on your interpretation of events that you don't even have full factual knowledge of what transpired.
Ken Added Sep 18, 2018 - 7:58pm

If our Judo-Christian values were as "God" inspired as the hype surrounding them, then target="_blank">our suicide rates wouldn't have reached all time high's.

It could be more easily argued that the suicide rates are being caused by the intentional degradation of our traditional values and faith and the secularism being forcibly imposed upon us from every direction

Gerrilea Added Sep 19, 2018 - 1:41am
BG--- I never really finished, I was exhausted yesterday. Kolberg states that the higher levels are when we have empathy and compassion and can "walk in others shoes'".  His 7th level was:

"Transcendental Morality, or Morality of Cosmic Orientation—which linked religion with moral reasoning."

It brings us full-circle, once you've "reached" that 7th level, you're back at the beginning. The whole foundation of our Western society is from and through religion. We teach children the difference between right and wrong and use punishment and reward in Pavlovian conditioning based on what we believe our God or religious leaders tell us. That's why most never exceed the 4th level.  Treat people as children, they will always act and think that way.  It becomes the path of least resistance.  The old saying, "You can't fight City Hall", comes to mind.

This is where despair comes into the equation and Thoreu's “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”

This leads into Ken's alternative theory...

Gerrilea Added Sep 19, 2018 - 2:53am
BG & Ken-- I sense that we are almost on the same "evolutionary" moral level, as this discussion progresses.

We are the product of previous generations that have lived and died within our society.  The pseudo-capitalist Judeo-Christian philosophies brought us to this moment.

Our thoughts, ideals and morality are coddled then shaped AND ultimately controlled. Species evolve or become extinct.  Why have our suicide rates reached levels never before seen?  It's not a lack of morality or its "intentional degradation".

It's despair.  And just in case if you were wondering, there are 30+ other nations that have higher suicide rates than we do.  Japan, Sweden, Belgium, etc.

I see the failure of society when an individual finds themselves with no other options left but to lie, cheat, steal, kill or sadly...end it all.

Humanity is not evolving. The Pavlovian conditioning lasts only for so long and it doesn't "take" with many. But please understand gentlemen, I'm not suggesting the rejection of our Judeo-Christian values here. They are a great foundation but they are clearly not enough.

IS THIS ALL THAT I AM?

Is this all that I/WE shall become?

Is there nothing more?

Ponder, just for a moment, those final questions.

Consciousness, once raised, can never be lowered.

Benjamin, that higher morality you reference starts here and now.  I suspect Dave Volek didn't succeed because he tried to force evolutionary processes upon those not ready.  Sadly, that elusive 100th Monkey didn't acquire the necessary skill-sets.

Bringing me back to my original thought, give them the tools and let them decide what they'll build with them.

Recent Articles by Writers Benjamin Goldstein follows.