Digital Tavern: Trippy

It was early June, 1973.  School was out for the summer, and though i didn't go to graduation(was punishing the parents), nevertheless got the diploma.  By mail.

i was sitting behind the steering wheel of my graduation gift, a second-or-third-or-fourth-hand red Corvair my dad had given me, thinking i'd been ripped off.  After all, the guy who sold me the white blotter said i'd get off anywhere from a half hour to 45 minutes after taking it, and it had been three hours already.

It was an overcast day; a few sprinkles had spattered onto the yellow spring pollen which coated the hood and windshield - then i felt the car lift up and to the left about 30 degrees, turn slowly to the right and set back down gently again.  i felt a "reverse peristaltic" sensation coming up my neck and out through my face in rhythmic waves, and i began to smile, then giggle;  i was trippin'!

i got out of the car, shutting the door behind me, and looked at all the trees surrounding the swimming club across the slightly-steaming parking lot; the leaves were intensely green, and dancing with life. i could understand how the trees felt that day, rejoicing in the life they were sharing and creating, supremely happy knowing their place and purpose in the Universe, joyfully living.  The sun came out from behind the clouds.  i felt it's radiant warmth in a way i'd never felt it before, going into the core of my being, not just my body.

"Wow," i murmured cogently, feeling the sensation of the word resonating throughout my whole body, enjoying the vibrations i was feeling.  i went up into the park area and sat at one of the picnic tables.  i was alone, then, and greatly enjoyed looking up through the still-joyfully-dancing green leaves, feeling the flexible strength and power of the wood which supported them, both above and below ground,  i may have even lay on my back to facilitate that view.  Not too long after, i found a kitten, and felt i had some amazing insight into it's little kitten brain, it's alertness, it's curiosity, it's playfulness...a kind of "grok"-ing feeling, assuming anyone has a passing familiarity with Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land."

Not long after, my friends arrived, and it didn't take much time before they noticed the dilated pupils and recognized the giggling laughter, at which point they began to have fun pushing their hands toward my face then backing off, knowing i was watching the trails of their hands, leaving patterns behind like the flashing of a strobe light.  Then i was pushed to the ground and pulled along by my feet, still laughing like a crazy man...an enjoyable feeling, even though my shirt rucked up and i got a few scratches from the twig and leaf debris.

i began to feel as though i could see into their souls, as well, suddenly gaining an impression as to their life's experiences, what made them who they were that day - and it was hilarious.  i felt like i gained much insight into myself, as well, gaining understandings of just why I was the way i was, too.  There was a time when i felt like i'd been given the word-sound key to Universal Knowledge,  then promptly forgot what it was - but it didn't really matter.  It was all just too funny.

Later, we decided to walk to a sebm-lebm(southern-speak for 7-11) to get some munchies, and although i wasn't hungry in the slightest, decided to walk along with them and enjoy these new sensations and feelings.  During that walk, i remember distinctly hearing a ticking clock approach my right side from a distance, then recede, Doppler-effect-like, into the distance behind me...and the thought crossed my mind that time had just passed me by...whatever that meant then, or means now, i have no idea.  On reflection, the sound may well have come from a lawn sprinkler, but it only happened that one time, so i don't really know.

But that was all during the most enjoyable phase, the peaking; as i began to come down from those glorious, ecstatic heights of wisdom, insight, pleasure and great laughter, "reality" began to intrude from time to time, as the effects faded.  Many years later i was to recall the feeling of coming down, well-expressed in a Stone Temple Pilots song called "Big Empty:"  "Too much walkin', shoes worn thin; too much trippin' and my soul's worn thin."  i can play'n'sing that song, now, but have yet to meet a guitarist who wants to try the slide accompaniment.

It was fun climbing up, but too much work coming down...the opposite of reality, isn't it?

But then, reality is overrated; every now and then, it's a good idea to leave it behind for a time, just to experience life in a different way.  This is why children spin themselves in circles, or why alcoholics get drunk, or hippies trip - to see and experience things their normal consciousness could never grasp, could never even have imagined, generally a Good Thing, imo - well, at least until the behavior becomes addictive.

It was a bit more than 20 more years before i'd leave the alcohol'n'drug-life entirely behind, but i've often told people that i'd be tempted if i could find some good blotter again.  i tried just about everything under the sun at that time - speed and downers(didn't like either, thank goodness), reefer, of course(i found out later that people who have "bi-polar"/manic-depressive phases generally do not experience relaxation, sleepiness and munchiness from the high, but experience what i did - paranoia, racing thoughts, an inability to relax or sleep, and a strong desire to be alone - though i did enjoy being able to explore things on guitar that i would not ordinarily have occurred to me to try, as the mj seemed to open up a different way, or "channel," to feel music), at least a dozen more trips, probably all on acid, though sometimes it was called "chocolate mesc" or "strawberry mesc", then there were the trips on 'shrooms which i found enjoyable, as the coming-down phase was nowhere near as intense.  Even tried "green" a few times(PCP, or "Phencyclidine powder," if memory serves) - though i didn't like it much.  My younger brother loved it, but it didn't do much for me, so i left it alone.  Later, mostly in the 80's, i got into powder coke - then lost a good job because of it and the drinking - then later, got into the crack.  Been clean and sober now since Jan 17, 1994, but feel the better for having been able to overcome the addictions.

Ran across a woman once who looked with contempt on me for having tried all that stuff(though never the needle or any kind of heroin), since she'd ALWAYS been "clean"(she said); personally, i think it shows much more character-development to have been bold enough to dare to try, to have become an addict, then to have overcome the addiction.  To me, she remains a poor soul, stuck in her prison-version of a "reality" that includes unwarranted contempt for fellow beings...but maybe that's just me.

Don't know why i felt like sharing this story; perhaps it was due to the plethora of threads recently on the experiences of 17-yr. olds.  Much water has flowed under bridge since then, Choctaw.

Comments

Jeffry Gilbert Added Sep 16, 2018 - 8:19am
Far out man.
The Burghal Hidage Added Sep 16, 2018 - 8:55am
Yes, there are a few here who grok this
Jeffry Gilbert Added Sep 16, 2018 - 8:59am
Great response TBH.
The Burghal Hidage Added Sep 16, 2018 - 9:02am
was in Austin TX in the 80s for a bit. scored this shit called black panther, on a blotter. yellow paper with a black panther head on it. At the time the going rate for a square was about 5$, but this guy's slingin' this for $10 a hit. He says trust me, you'll only need one.Turns out he was right. An hour after taking it the plans of riding up to Lake Travis were dashed. I believe I may have said something like: " Oh fuck that! I am not leaving this apartment" or it may have been
" Dude, that rug ate the fucking coffee table. I just sat here and watched it"

Austin is definitely not a good town for psychedelic drugs
Mustafa Kemal Added Sep 16, 2018 - 10:56am
FacePalm, thanks for that. Its been along time since I had flashbacks of the taste of aluminum in my mouth.

And it brought back a sort of Hunter S. Thompson-esque experience I had, not with my Samoan attorney, but my oldest friend, a friend from when I was 1.

I was in San Francisco  in 1983 with my new 68 Malibu and called up my friend Buster, a US Army surgeon, and asked him if he wanted a ride to NYC and he said he could do it on one condition: that we make it there in 3 days and put him on a plane back. I said, sounds like  piece of cake.

We did split shift driving and sleeping and catching up on our lives and when we got near NYC we were reasonably well rested. So he pulls out this little bag of shrooms and says;  I saved this for going into New York. I said; you have to be kidding me! No, my Samoan attorney……err..US Army captain friend,  was not. And thats what we did.

Plenty of bats so I kept it slow but never found ourselves on the side of the highway like Cheech and Chong, but it was a hell of an experience.

Mustafa
FacePalm Added Sep 16, 2018 - 11:10am
TBH-
It was many years later that i learned 2 very important things necessary to ensure a good trip: "Set" and "Setting."  These refer first to your mindset, what you are expecting insofar as your trip - the second being the place your trip is going to happen.

i was very lucky on my first trip(and several others) insofar as my expectations were definitely hopeful of a great experience, and i was in a great, safe place with people who wanted to ensure i enjoyed myself...because i was totally unaware of the importance of "set and setting."  i went to boot camp in San Diego in '74, and went on an overnight leave from there, picked up some "blue barrel" on the beach, then had several beers with buds at a rented hotel room before heading back past the armed Marines and to my lower bunk, where i apparently kept muttering "so hard to maintain" the rest of the night, according to the guy in the bunk above mine.

One of the worst trips i ever read about was a guy who was just peaking as he was walking down a sidewalk, when he caught a glimpse of a piece of quartz crystal which was reflecting the sun's rays; he'd felt so overawed by the beauty of this reflected light that he knelt down to admire - nay, worship - it, when a passerby noticed the "weird" behavior, cops were called, and he was taken to the drunk tank where he was required to view various inebriated people barfing for the remainder of that trip.

i've never been to Austin, but i've heard great things about the music scene, there.  Wouldn't mind a visit sometime.  i understand that Infowars broadcasts out of there, too...also not a place to visit while doing psychedelics, perhaps, unless the people there were well-aware of your condition before you arrived and were welcoming instead of in the "call the cops" mindset.
The Burghal Hidage Added Sep 16, 2018 - 11:41am
great music scene indeed. you just need to know where to hide.
Stone-Eater Added Sep 16, 2018 - 11:44am
What a drugged-up bunch that is here LOL

Thanks  - another goodie. How we all seem to have resembled each other at 17....no matter which continent. Must be same in all (Western) generations....
FacePalm Added Sep 16, 2018 - 11:54am
Mustafa-
Plenty of bats...  ?

The flying rat kind, or baseball?

Curious, that; i've never hallucinated from shrooms - just brighter colors than normal and the laughing, maybe occasional synesthesia.

i've often recommended psylocybin or acid to those who are depressed; no one can laugh for 6 or more hours straight and still be depressed, IMO.

The Burghal Hidage Added Sep 16, 2018 - 3:39pm
Cary Grant and Aldous Huxley both used LSD as part of an improvised "end of life therapy".  I believe that Huxley's widow published a book on it
Katharine Otto Added Sep 16, 2018 - 4:55pm
FacePalm,
My Y-chromosome friends are much more experiential than I am.  My story will be bland and boring compared to what I've witnessed from y'all in this Digital Tavern.  I do "grok" the kitten mind-reading thing, though.  I practice grokking animals' minds on a regular basis, but without the acid.  "Grok" is a great word.

Burghal,
Aldous Huxley did, indeed, get IM LSD from his wife on his deathbed (at his request).  Too bad he didn't live to tell about it.  I've recently read on-line the letter she wrote about the experience.
FacePalm Added Sep 16, 2018 - 6:39pm
Katharine-
As you're aware, most men mature far more slowly than do women, especially when it comes to foreseeing the consequences of actions taken.  So what i have claimed as "boldness" may be naught but ignorance or stupidity, or a combination of both...like the semi-famous last words of rednecks:  "Hey, Bubba, watch 'iss!"

Then, too, most women are far more aware of how the use of various substances could affect the next generation, and so are more wary.

Yes, "grok" is a great word, but one must needs read the book to have a clue what it means, i think; don't believe any dictionary could really do it justice.

You interested me with the mention of Huxley's wife's letter, so i websearched and think i found it.  IIRC, LSD was still quite legal in '63, and i found it a curious coincidence that Nov. '63 is the month of another quite famous death, albeit more sudden and far less beautiful, not only for him, but also his wife, his children, and the nation itself...well, except for the deep state bastards and those whom they hired for the hit.
Leroy Added Sep 16, 2018 - 7:28pm
Thanks for sharing, FacePalm.  It's difficult for me to follow most of the conversation.  I was never part of the drug scene.  Alcohol was my choice of poison.  I have to say that I did some of the more stupid things in my life while imbibing.  I had the illusion that I had more control.  It was one of the lies I told myself.
FacePalm Added Sep 16, 2018 - 7:57pm
Leroy-
It's ok.
Just one less thing to overcome.

i've also done probably more than my share of alcohol, as well - makes you feel 9 feet tall and bulletproof, sometimes.  Beer muscles - or around closing time, beer goggles.

i recall no less a personage than Ben Franklin saying, "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."  But i was an idiot with drinking; i'd get a 12 pack and drink until i either passed out or barfed, sometimes both.  My body always knew it wasn't really for me, anyhow; the first sip after a few days sober, and my body would shake, almost a convulsion, before i mastered myself(in illusion-world) and ignored the warning.  IOW, despite the Franklin dictum, drinking never brought me much in the way of happiness.

Anyway, i was also hoping for feedback, like ways i could improve the writing(and before you say "capitalize the "i's"", it's a form of humility i practice, helps keep me from getting to big for my britches), either with more metaphor or simile or elimination of run-on sentences or whatever; i never took any college-level English courses or anything similar, i just learned how to spell relatively well.
Ward Tipton Added Sep 16, 2018 - 10:53pm
Indeed I grok much more than I will ever admit to in a public forum.

Somehow or another though, I am not sure I can grok the fifth!?
FacePalm Added Sep 17, 2018 - 1:36am
Ward-
the fifth... ?
Amendment?  Commandment?  Johnny Walker, Jack Daniels, Old Granddad?
opher goodwin Added Sep 17, 2018 - 5:35am
Sure Grok that Facepalm. I'll have to write up my acid experiences. You did it well. Took me right back.
FacePalm Added Sep 17, 2018 - 11:11am
Thanks, Opher.  You write very well, so a compliment from you is deeply appreciated.

As should be obvious, i REALLY loved the feelings i got when peaking, but not so much the spacey, incoherent feelings when coming back down.  Many people never came back from their trips, though (Sid Barrett of PF comes to mind, here), so it was never my intent to induce any flashbacks save pleasant ones, as part of a memory.

Some have experienced quite amazing precision due to the effects of LSD - i'm recalling a pro baseball player who pitched a perfect game on it - but there are others who didn't do so well.

i met a guy who said he'd been an orderly at a mental health place, and he said "Taking care of those who'd OD'd on acid was easy: you told 'em when to stand up, when to sit down, when to eat, when to go to the bathroom..."
Ric Wells Added Sep 17, 2018 - 3:38pm
FP tried a couple of things in my mid teens. Didn't like either one. Tried a bong once and ended up in the hospital. I find my mind expands much more without any influences. Good story though.
Ward Tipton Added Sep 18, 2018 - 12:33am
"Ward-
the fifth... ?
Amendment?  Commandment?  Johnny Walker, Jack Daniels, Old Granddad?"

And you can add Beethoven into the mix as well ... the obscurity was the point of the context and the comment. I understand a lot of things, but I am not going to delve into many of them in public forums LOL
Mustafa Kemal Added Sep 20, 2018 - 10:40pm
FacePalm, interesting article by Nomi Prins on
Trumps skeletons

According to many on ZH she has gone to the dark side, but she makes some sense.

Mustafa
FacePalm Added Sep 21, 2018 - 5:50pm
Ward-
It's ok; just watched a vid about the Deep State, part of which included commentary by Julian Assange, who said that those born today will be the last generation that knows freedom, and there will be few of those because their idiot parents will post their pictures @ facebook, etc.  i definitely keep personally identifying info from the internet, not that it'd do any good; any intel agent - a lying oathbreaking criminal, IMO - who wants to can easily track the IP back to me.   And they probably have built a full profile on me, long ago, just like the do for everyone who posts anything online, ever.

Mustafa-
i only found it "interesting" insofar as the amount of sheer speculation she engaged in; must be a MadCow acolyte, as the tactics seem quite familiar - IOW, "ask a leading question," but never state that your opinion is indeed factual, so as to help avoid the libel/slander laws.  IMO, this is not only dishonest, but abhorrent.