Making America Great and the World Safer

I have long listened to the disparaging of the academic capacity of a certain group of American children and even learned how at one time the pervasive racism led to the death, for want of a transfusion, of the Black scientist responsible for the invention behind of the life-saving blood transfusion.  I have seen the paradox where this nation, once considered a bastion of racism, elected a Black president. Perhaps it is not a paradox in that in time views change, as it changed from considering Blacks as subhumans--lesser than animals and incapable of learning. Times are a changing again to one where the once despised groups, as well as the contemporary highly despised one, will merge to assume majority status in around 27 years. Yes, America will not be a majority White nation them. But unlike the Y2K scare, it does not have to harbinger end of the world fear.

Indeed, there are concerns regarding national security and the advancement of our Democratic Ideals when the aforestated groups have long been at the rear end of the achievement gap and the recipient of the fewest STEM degrees. STEM dunce cannot lead America in the future. How should concern WBers respond? Continue to embrace or defend against those with the litany of the eugenics determinist blather? My respond below is part of my desire to make America strong and the world safer. It can also be a framework for gaining funding to strengthen WB. Your comment can accord me further guidance.

Summary

This Promoting Innovation Proposal seeking $2,000 000 in funding constitutes the Institute for Hands-on Science Engineering & Technology (IFHOSET) and its partners’ response to the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Request for Proposal NSF 17-573.  It describes the prototype of a new informal STEM teaching tool that integrates academics, 21st-century vocational education, project-based pedagogical practices, prenatal education, and a culturally responsive pedagogy. Hence, the STEAM-Mobile (SM)—a vehicle primarily designed to deliver hands-on and virtual STEM activities to majority disadvantaged Black and Latino students at disparate informal settings (e.g., prenatal centers, parks, housing complex, libraries, etc.) in School District 29 in South East Queens, NY.

Intellectual Merits

The overall goal of the project is to contract with a participating STEM bus outfitter to collaboratively develop the prototype of the SM based on Green (2012/2018). Green (2012) advanced the merger of virtual technology with hands-on training and project-based learning for the delivery of culturally relevant education. This approach found success in teaching the calisthenic learners, as well as educationally disconnected Black and Latino youth, through its use of activities that respected and reflected their cultures and had relevance (“were real”) to their lived experience. Hence,” position[ing] STEM within meaningful personal [and] cultural … frameworks” (NSF, 2017). Green (2018) outlined the importance of early education and the meaningful inclusion of low socioeconomic status parents in in-school activities.

The project has the capacity to advance new knowledge based on its capability to physically meet students where they are (e.g., in the “‘hood”) to research and identify what skills and tools are best able to reach and engage them and other children of the targeted ages and groups, and for its integration of culturally relevant pedagogy—using identifiable STEM role models and age-peer tutors. Significantly, in refutation of the nation’s “college for all” mantra, the project will teach that STEM is not solely for the college-bound, but that it is a viable option for those with the college potential but lacking the financial capability, accessibility, or the desire to attend.

Broader Impacts

The STEAM-Mobile, enabled by school, community, and business partnership, will increase local disadvantaged youth’s exposure to STEM activities and skills through an approach which includes prenatal through 8th-grade teaching and learning in informal STEM settings. When operational, the project will act as a mobile teaching lab, reaching as many as 40,000 students per year, a statistically significant number that will further provide the opportunity for researchers to determine its impact on math and science test scores in SEQ schools.

Comments

Michael B. Added Sep 21, 2018 - 6:21am
Rupert, those are grand ideas, but I cannot help but to think of Dorothy Parker:

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." LOL
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 21, 2018 - 6:53am
"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think. LOL"
Micheal. You know, unlike a former WB member, I will not be made into a shrinking violet by the term whore. Indeed, I am elated that such a word led the responses so as to have me jumping with excitement and hopefulness.
Yes, Dorothy was known for her quips, but in reading where the Bible revealed the whore saw the light when she reached to Jesus, I want to believe that Dorothy's words were not informed by research/facts. Granted the Bible is not a factual document, but it offers hope that at least one more on WB will see the light as you did.

I choose not to be the dog in the Pavlov's learned helplessness experiment. I choose not to always tell America's story by the evil she has done but to use the opportunity to capitalize on her magnificence and beneficence.  This is an opportunity to, and I am embracing optimism that everyone here on WB can, like those Christian soldiers who put away waring-informed by their difference, say a word or two to contribute to hopefulness, a better America, and a brighter global future.
Michael B. Added Sep 21, 2018 - 7:24am
The Burghal Hidage Added Sep 21, 2018 - 1:53pm
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 21, 2018 - 8:26pm
@ Michael. "Rupert, how many fucking times do I have to remind you that spelling counts! I want to reduce my tensions with people in general, and non-whites in particular, but when someone with the title of "Doctor" routinely slaughters the English language in an unintentional and non-White and non-Hip-Hop way, my hackles get up. However, I'm becoming more and more into Voodoo-ism in addition to my usual witchcraft and sorcery. Just sayin'..."

I must apologize, I see that the root of your displeasure is basically associated with my misspelling of your name. You could have simply pointed that out to me instead of giving the impression I am unlearnt.

@ Hidage,

"Huh? Doc, good story. Looks like it has some merit. One has to begin somewhere. When I hear about programs like this that are targeted to a vulnerable audience (regardless their skin color) the stories about people like Kaepernick make me see red. Instead of all his posturing he could be lending resources and his name and face to something like this."

There are grants out there for anything and to help any particular group. I am glad you find my way more acceptable than Kaepernick's. However, in a battle, some may be better at writing coded messages to attach to pigeons, some may be good at shooting arrows, some at launching boulders, and other at throwing down hot oil on the enemy. Multiple prongs of attack are been waged on the intractable and pervasive problem of police brutality against Blacks.

Michael B. Added Sep 22, 2018 - 1:28am
Rupert, I'm not trying to harm you, I'm trying to help you!
Flying Junior Added Sep 22, 2018 - 2:53am

My hat is off.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 22, 2018 - 5:20am

"Rupert, I'm not trying to harm you, I'm trying to help you!"

OK Michael B. I believe we have determined the same before, but when I see an evolving avatar that has racist connotations and is non-sequitur to your statement, I am led to cognitive dissonance.

Still, I greatly appreciate your and others here help.
As the lead researcher, I generate all the rough thinking and writing then shoot them off to other members, including editors,  to tame, polish, and edit my words.

@ Juinor.
"My hat is off."

Thanks. I am at ease focused when walking the walk to address inequities associated with any disadvantaged groups of American children, including Native Americans, Appalachians, or poor females.
OK, HELP ME WITH the FOLLOWING STATEMENT
Significance
The results of this project could inform and enhance policy-making regarding the best models of curriculum and structures for early schooling that are needed to provide positive experiences to the nation’s emerging majority-minority of the various areas of STEM disciplines to attack their pervasive and protracted STEM deficit and negate the danger it portends for national security and our Democratic Ideals.
John Minehan Added Sep 22, 2018 - 10:10am
This sound very workable and needed.

The one concern I would have are the words "New York State."

We don't have an educational system that is very responsive to new ideas.

John Minehan Added Sep 22, 2018 - 10:20am
Should be "sounds," sorry.

I'm sure you are familiar with the NYS Education Law, but every time I get out of Article 8 (The Professions), I find something that disturbs or depresses me.

You did not pick an easy profession, Dr. Green.

The two things I know about education are that: 1)  it is very important; and 2) I do not understand it.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 22, 2018 - 6:18pm
 Michael B., I am sure your rolling on the floor when you read what I have written.

Mustafa Kemal Added Sep 22, 2018 - 7:01pm
Dr. Rupert Green, IMO, this is a very innovative proposal idea and think that  someone interested in America's future would be very interested in experimenting with  such an effort "in the hood'
In the neighbor-hood of the US of A.

As you are aware, the devil is in the details, so as a reviewer I would be very interested in seeing more details about how it might actually work in practice. In particular,  I suppose I would like to be tantalized in such a preproposal with your teasers about what I might read in the full proposal in this regard..  Moreover, I would be very interested in how you will assess its efficacy.

You might also prepare for possibly an overwhelming positive response when you deploy. Maybe you should bring a movie camera.

May you/we be successful!

Mustafa

Jeff Michka Added Sep 22, 2018 - 8:02pm
I wish you all the luck in the world, and glad to read about your personal efforts in good cause, but wonder why you squander pearls before WB swine.  I've yet to see MOFOSWILL show up and tell you STEM is all swell and good, but blacks are of lower IQ so can't be engineers, etc.  And he has said it, but cowers when called out.  I am very familiar with similar efforts in Kansas City, MO, that have lead to real results, so it can happen when will dictates outcome over the naysayers, racial statists and power grabbers.  Power grabbing in minority communities seems a greater problem in areas with extreme poverty and little hope for change, but that may be another story to write about when the dust settles.
Jeff Jackson Added Sep 22, 2018 - 8:15pm
Dr. Green, we need what you suggest. Technology will leave us (the U.S.) behind if we do not plan for it. I might suggest that the importance of education can be a cultural phenomenon. All the money in the world and all the classrooms will not make a difference if people do not value it. You must also find people qualified to teach these things, when as a teacher of the technology they will not make anywhere near what they could make working for an organization where they implement it. Good idea, good luck with it.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 22, 2018 - 9:11pm
@John. 'this sound[s] very workable and needed.

The one concern I would have are the words "New York State."

We don't have an educational system that is very responsive to new ideas.

I did some work recently on the issue of Talented and Gifted Student Programs in NYS and came away amazed by the vague and conflicting legal and regulatory guidance.  "

I know the unresponsiveness of the educational system. I was fired as a teacher in 189 and recently in 2016 for my challenge of the system. Seems there is a power that calls you out FROM YOUR COMFORT ZONE to do greater work via calamities.  My research will address the disparity in the talented  & gifted program that has Whites and Asian rejecting NYC Mayor and chancellor's efforts to get more Blacks in good and STEM-based schools., seeing Blacks as intellectually inferior--such blatant racism outshining any such if ever shown on WB.

Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 22, 2018 - 9:22pm
@ Thomas. "Sound great Dr Green and I hope it happens.  I would rather see the the blood in the streets of Chicago reduced further, and I know other cities have similar problems including Washington DC..  The focus after more then a decade of ignoring the problem has finally shifted a little.   The  present approach is just a stop gap that I hope will let the community start addressing the real problem of fatherless homes.  We want our children to concentrate on the tools so they can enjoy the fruit of their labors and not concentrate on the tools to survive the jungle of the neighborhood."

I am glad that we are on the same page regarding this issue notwithstanding your little jab about Blacks' lack of personal responsibility and their failure to pull themselves up by their bootstrap. You have overlearnt that talking point, so it just oozes out of you. You make a significant point that I bolded. It is a major shift in that for the years of regular school failure, NSF is allotting funds to organizations that are not regular schools to help. They are aware of the failure of regular schools. A major reason also is that in about 27 years Blacks and Latinos will assume majority status in combination with Asians. So you cannot have STEM dunces running our nation in an increasingly high Tech and dangerous world.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 22, 2018 - 9:38pm

@ Mustafa. As you are aware, the devil is in the details, so as a reviewer I would be very interested in seeing more details about how it might actually work in practice. In particular,  I suppose I would like to be tantalized in such a pre-proposal with your teasers about what I might read in the full proposal in this regard..  Moreover, I would be very interested in how you will assess its efficacy.  ...May you/we be successful!

Thanks for the advice.  It is basically a vocational/Career and Technical Education classroom on wheels, with virtual STEM capacity--using digital tools costing billions to develop that millennium use with their eyes closed and which teachers fear. This stage of the proposal is to build the project. The next stage for a next funding will be following a cohort of students who will be using the project from kindergarten to 7th grades and asses their state's third and fourth grades math, reading, or science scores. You made a significant point in bold. I am looking to include select individuals from WB and write them as co-researcher for a $80,000. My email is educateme5@yahoo.com

Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 22, 2018 - 10:27pm
@ Jeff.  "Wish you all the luck in the world, and glad to read about your personal efforts in good cause, but wonder why you squander pearls before WB swine.  I've yet to see MOFOSWILL show up and tell you STEM is all swell and good, but blacks are of lower IQ so can't be engineers, etc.  And he has said it, but cowers when called out.  I am very familiar with similar efforts in Kansas City, MO, that have lead to real results, so it can happen when will dictates outcome over the naysayers, racial statists and power grabbers.  Power grabbing in minority communities seems a greater problem in areas with extreme poverty and little hope for change, but that may be another story to write about when the dust settles.

Because I have demonstrated I am a Black that will have some 'shines with members of the KKK selecting a tree and preparing a noose, I have not been castigated as a worthless and threatening negro. As a matter of fact, one of my worse castigations is regarding how come I am such a stupid scholar.  I have learnt that if you are in the bar with the boys talking trash, the discreet scholar (likewise fool) buying liquor will loosen their tongues more than the one informing them they are talking with a scholar.
That being said, would you think that rewording that in bold above would lead to the development of greater understanding and more endearment?

Yes it can happen but the first step is the hardest. Invariably, swines could help advance it. I can't recall the story but it had the birds as well as the ants helping in the quest of the man who was kind to one. As I have stated, one of the best methods of teaching some students is not to have them believe they are being taught.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 23, 2018 - 2:44am
@Jeff. "Dr. Green, we need what you suggest. Technology will leave us (the U.S.) behind if we do not plan for it. I might suggest that the importance of education can be a cultural phenomenon. All the money in the world and all the classrooms will not make a difference if people do not value it. (That is why immigrant come to this country and outperform native born in STEM.  The immigrant effect is credited for the success of even black immigrants.)

You must also find people qualified to teach these things, when as a teacher of the technology they will not make anywhere near what they could make working for an organization where they implement it. Good idea, good luck with it."   If schools could help it, they would have a dance teacher teaching a shop class on electrical installation. That has been the way for teaching of academics course, where an art teacher would be found teaching maths. Teaching in the 'hood has transitioned to babysitting and providing mental health and social services. Hence, just on paper teaching credential, not the trade or industry-based ones are needed. A note, many individuals enter teaching to earn full-time income for half-time work and mad holidays.

Thanks.

Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 23, 2018 - 8:06am
Dr. Green I defined a situation that is not made by blacks.  Segregated housing started by FDR continued up until ~1965. That was done to blacks.  Demographics of the US after the Civil War the colored were in rural America.  Today the blacks are in the cities and if Chicago is any indication concentrated in neighborhoods in those cities, not an accident.

I discussed that welfare rewards single parent house holds. Colored didn't do the to themselves.   And the problem Dr. Green is that that still continues today, AFDC.  You can thank FDR for starting a lot of welfare programs including AFDC and you can thank LBJ for putting it rules under Federal control.  He made it more fair so that everywhere in the nation the poor were reward for being single parent house holds.

Black own voting almost as a block ~ 95% to the Democratic Party Candidates.  You own letting your once strong family frame work be taken apart by the politicians you put into office by their policies.

Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 23, 2018 - 9:03am
@Thomas. "So please continue Dr. Green in saying "jab about Blacks' lack of personal responsibility and their failure to pull themselves up by their bootstrap."  And I will continue to point out that ~95% of you vote to continue institutional racism.  Why is the party I haven't figured out."

A wife asked her husband-man to iron her expensive blouse as she had a big deal to close. Later the husband-man apologized revealing he had burnt her blouse where it would be visible. Its OK honey, I will wear a different one, she replied.

In another scenario, a wife asked her husband-man to make her a toast as she was rushing off to work.  She was heard shouting, you incompetent nincompoop, you burnt my toast.

Obviously, one situation depicted a loving wife and the other the opposite.

If my intention is about love and helping to solve a problem, then I would state the problem and advanced a solution. On the other hand, if it is about hate, I would harp on the problem them harp on it some.  Could the continual harping of the wife on the husband-man's ineptness serve to help correct it or to express her hatred for him?

Ps. I am glad you did not use "you people" in the bold in your preceding response I cited.
Mustafa Kemal Added Sep 23, 2018 - 10:34am
Dr. Rupert Green,
re:"You made a significant point in bold."
I appreciate the kind offer, but my current employer requires all my effort, and sometimes more. As for if my real world credentials could actually help you I kind of doubt that.  They are not in your area.

As for
" shoot them off to other members, including editors,  to tame, polish, and edit my words. "
LOL, That is a wise choice. I have learned the hard way not to "poke the bear" or at least I have learned that when I do I will pay, and I just accept it as a price to pay for my integrity.

Mustafa
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 23, 2018 - 5:20pm
Dr. Green when I want to jab you I will use the words of other black persons to do it.  Above I presented the barest of facts so I didn't appear as an idiot.   This is not a jab since you have seen it in my tests to you often.  I have never seen a rebuttal to it.  Dr. Walter E. Williams is a black George Mason economist and author of “Race and Economics: How Much Can Be Blamed on Discrimination?”  He says, "“[T]he welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery could not have done, the harshest Jim Crow laws and racism could not have done, namely break up the black family,”

I suggest you look into this article which backs up your goal to get more blacks involve in STEM.  I also know that Dr. Thomas Sowell, senior fellow at Stanford Univ., also black totally agrees with the above statement by Williams.  Here is one to back up your article.

"The government could double the amount of money it spends on food stamps or triple the amount it spends on housing subsidies, and it will mean very little if the next generation of young blacks goes out into the world as adults without a decent education.

The relations between the police and the black community are another issue that has gotten a lot of attention, and produced counterproductive results.

None of the most popular political panaceas for helping black communities has a track record of making things better, and some have made things much worse.

As you can see they also point to responsible voting.
Jeff Michka Added Sep 23, 2018 - 7:06pm
Dr. Green:  To answer your question posed, no I don't think rephrasing anything will get the "they are inferior" crowd to change their narrow little minds.  They see blacks as a people needing their permissions to be successful, and asking for their hand to do it.  Not that they'd do anything, but I see this as a matter of ongoing "white priv" under which those seen as minorities  need their ascent to do anything.  Afterall a successful STEM grad might "take a job" that should have "gone to 'them.'"  So it's almost a no win situation, not that taking on a no-win situation isn't wort trying.  I'd like to have a very specific discussion about this, but given some of what I'd have to say is currently tied up in a court of law, "wheels of justice" turning very, very slowly, so right now, feel restrained, as a matter of deep respect for both sides of this case.
Ward Tipton Added Sep 23, 2018 - 9:52pm
Grants.gov, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ... I doubt there would be anything under SBIR grants but you may want to check those out as well.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 23, 2018 - 9:57pm
@ Thomas. "Many things that are supposed to help blacks actually have a track record of making things worse.  Minimum wage laws have had a devastating effect in making black teenager unemployment several times higher than it once was.

What is even more astonishing is that charter schools [and your stem efforts if outside public schools] are being opposed, not only by teacher's unions who think schools exist to provide guaranteed jobs for their members, but also by politicians, including black politicians who loudly proclaim that 'BLACK LIVES MATTER.'. . . Any politician, of any race or party, who fights against charter schools that give many black youngsters [STEM should have a similar effect] their one shot at a decent life does not deserve the vote of anybody who really believes that BLACK LIVES MATTER."   Ref: http://www.investors.com/politics/columnists/thomas-sowell-if-black-lives-matter-why-doesnt-their-education/"

Thomas, I do not want to hear about Negro scholars such as Sowell, tell me about Leonard Jefferies and such and we will talk. Above is the most significant points I have seen you produced that could be treated as your original thoughts. I totally agree with you on bolded.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 23, 2018 - 10:21pm
@ Jeff. "Dr. Green:  To answer your question posed, no I don't think rephrasing anything will get the "they are inferior" crowd to change their narrow little minds. "

I respectfully disagree with you on above. I have done it here. Furthermore, you would be exhibiting learned helplessness if you adopted such a stance. Are you saying you do not have the capacity or the logical reasoning to generate a narrative to cause children saying no to say yes?   Consider: Do you want to go to school question of a child who does not like school as opposed to  Do you want to get ice cream on your way from school?

"Not that they'd do anything, but I see this as a matter of ongoing "white priv" under which those seen as minorities  need their ascent to do anything.  Afterall a successful STEM grad might "take a job" that should have "gone to 'them.'"  So it's almost a no win situation, not that taking on a no-win situation isn't wort trying."

Yes, 70% of the nation are White teachers teaching majority Black and Brown children. I have also written about a school system that is more geared to graduate Black and Latino to prison, and the paradox of having those teachers preparing Black students to compete with their children for professional jobs.  However, Americans are pragmatic people and I do not believe they would want the majority Black and Latino children to become majority ignorant adults in a dangerous and high tech driven America.
Also, Black did not ADVANCE BASED ON THEIR STRUGGLES ONLY. We would not have done so without the help of progressive Whites and reactionary ones who were made to see the light by individuals articulating positions I have been.
Tell me which position is better. (1) One stating White are racist and will do nothing to advance the plight of Blacks, so I will do nothing.
(2) Some Whites may exhibit racist principles but the ones who do not can be used to convince them to change their minds.

Note. In one of the ancient Greek or so plays, women were tired of their soldiers going off to wars so they decided they would not give them any box/cat/underneath/pussy. Imagine the backlash if women rose up and publicly stated they opposed wars. The detail is in the technique.

I too have shit tied up in the courts. Just paid $15,000 on a lost appeal. Have to find another to appeal to the next level. Still, I am not rolling over.
Ward Tipton Added Sep 23, 2018 - 10:36pm

The grants I listed above may also be willing to fund some of the efforts you are referring to, but you will need the right team to put it all together.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 23, 2018 - 11:03pm
 @ward. "A massive change in the educational structure would also seem to be beneficial, offering varied learning environments where the kids can "get their hands dirty" so to speak. Freedom to make more choices in their educational pursuits based on individual aptitudes, grouping students together in interests and ability rather than by age ... and the list goes on. "

I have given my email welcoming co-researcher (paid) educateme5@yahoo.com. I have 7 scholars in various areas from Guam, Canada, UK, US, and more. I also have technologists.

I am a vocational education teacher who supports the dirty hand and active mind approach.

Ability grouping posits that you put the brilliant children together and the not brilliant ones together.  Can academically blinds guide the academically blinds? Another approach posits putting some lower performers with brighter children. Socioeconomic integration posits its middle-class value as opposed to student race that causes Black children to succeed in suburban schools. It articulates that ghetto schools 75% or more poverty children are failure mills. A better approach is to have 70% middle-class students and 30% poor students in classrooms.
Do you still support ability grouping?

Ward Tipton Added Sep 23, 2018 - 11:47pm
You are conflating "intellect" with "aptitude" ... and in that regards, wholly disregarding the very limited and restrictive measure currently in use for the term "intellect" at that. Moreover, this has twisted what you infer from my comments to mean what you think I said rather than noting what I actually said. Thus, please allow me to quantify so that perhaps we can get back on the same page.

Michiu Kaku rightly noted that the biggest killer of dreams is the public educational (though indoctrinational seems a better term, even if not grammatically correct) system. You likely have people that are intimately familiar with the Steiner/Waldorf Programs in New York, but as has often been noted, these, while successful to a degree, are severely lacking in any real focus on scholastic pursuits.

I will not say that what we are working on here is the ultimate solution, much less that it is one you should pursue, but I think you will discover after four hundred plus years of foreign occupation, many of the cultural challenges are strikingly similar ... and thus, so are the solutions ... if and when they can be implemented at least.

The long and short is a separation of students based not on intellect as you perceived ... but on aptitude ... based on the skills of the individual student and their individual aptitude. You may very well have students like one of my brothers who could barely read or write, though he could look at complex machinery and tell you generally within fifteen minutes how it functioned and what its  purpose was ... was he intelligent? Not according to most "IQ" exams ... but his aptitude was focused in different areas ... his personal strengths did not allow him the luxury of reading comprehension to the extent that he could do well with the limited and restrictive IQ exams in place.

Furthermore, the students are then grouped in accordance with their aptitude and given such scholastic studies as are necessary and relevant in whatever individual fields of study they pursue within the given parameters established for their individual aptitude. Rather than being stuck in a classroom, they would study in "real world" environments and so long as they kept up with their scholastic pursuits, they would also be able to enjoy hands on experimentation and work within their chosen field of study allowing them to see why their scholastic pursuits were important. Being surrounded by people with similar interests should, from a psychological standing at least ... though I am hesitant to put too much faith in that "art" ... should allow the students to ask questions among themselves and experts in their respective fields, and foster and encourage their dreams rather than the current classroom environment where the kid who loves rockets is "weird" or otherwise ostracized for his dreams.

Granted, it is much more convoluted and complex than that, but I hope that at least paints a clearer picture.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 24, 2018 - 7:06am

Your points will contribute to my current proposal. We are not in disagreement regarding the need for change.  We have aptitude tests to gauge what children like. However, because of the US' college for all mantra, vocational placement is the outcome of such test. In America, Vocational Education (VE) is for dummies, in Germany there are  3 years waiting list to get into the vocational programs. Because VE has been renamed Career and Technical Education and for the use of technology, VE in its new name is making a come back. The wise educational system would teach to your brother's strength and use it to elevate his weaker ones. I have advocated the need for a vocational education for gifted students as they have vocational education for academically gifted students.
Ward Tipton Added Sep 24, 2018 - 7:35am

Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 24, 2018 - 8:25am
Do Dr. Green you do not want to hear other black Doctors that have a different opinion the yours.  The problem is that they are credible.  We both know that I do not live in a black neighborhood that is mostly black.  My Charlotte neighborhood YMCA played hip hop for Zumba.  You would say I am not credible.  We both know that.  I agree with the opinions of these black doctors of economics.  You see they make sense with my experience.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 25, 2018 - 7:21pm
" I agree with the opinions of these black doctors of economics.  You see they make sense with my experience.  "

Your agreement is of insignificance if you are not producing scholarly work. Many scientists agreed that cigarette was not dangerous.  There are audiences for those negroes as there is the audience for radicals.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 25, 2018 - 7:23pm
@Ward. "The US college and university systems are ... broken at best ... and that is about the nicest way I can phrase it.

Then again, they are no longer truly about education so much as helping people to feel good about themselves, regardless of their ability to reason or to compete in "the real world". "

Dont be misled. American colleges are great for the foreigners who are granted the majority of the STEM degrees issued by our universities.
Ward Tipton Added Sep 26, 2018 - 1:47am
I would not be so sure ... "good enough", "sufficient" ... "better than what they had at home" perhaps ... but that does not mean that the system is not broken.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 26, 2018 - 9:17am
Sure the secondary system is a mess, but "they" still come to America, receive the most advanced STEM degrees and go back to build their countries
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 26, 2018 - 10:14am
Dr. Rupert Green Added Sep 26, 2018 - 11:10am
@Thomas. "Here you go again Dr. Green, we both know that the given enough money people will say anything.  So any doctor that says, "Many scientists agreed that cigarette was not dangerous. " are bought off.  The data and even personal experience is so different that an idiot knows they are paid off.'

We agree, but many Americans still die from smoking and cigarette price is sky high.

Recent Articles by Writers Dr. Rupert Green follows.