LUKE 4, VERSES 1 - 13.
- And Jesus being filled with the Holy Ghost returned from Jordon and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
- being forty days tempted by the devil. And in those days he ate nothing: and when they were ended, he hungered afterward.
- And the devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone that it be made into bread."
- And Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God."
- And the devil, taking him up into a high mountain, showed before him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
- And the devil said to him, "All of this power I will give you, and their glory, for it has been given to me; and to whomsoever I will, I will give it.
- If you will worship me, all shall be yours."
- And Jesus answered, "Get behind me, Satan: for it is written, you shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve."
- And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, cast yourself down from here:
- for it is written, He shall give you angels in his charge, to protect you, to keep you:
- and in their hands, they shall carry you up, lest at any time you dash your foot against a stone."
- And Jesus answering said to him, "It is said, you shall not tempt the Lord your God."
- And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.
As in Genesis, the devil tries to cast doubt in the same way he did to Eve.
GENESIS 3, VERSES 1-5.
1. Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2. And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3. But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5. For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
By not eating, Jesus is in the Spirit. Satan attempts to break this divinity. He questions Jesus authority by saying "If you are the son of God..."
Verses 5-7. If any part of the Bible illustrates where Earthly powers reside - this is it. Jesus is promised all the kingdoms of the world, if he will worship Satan. How many people throughout time immortal, have reached fame, success and power by, inadvertently or not, selling out to the devil?
Verses 9-11. Satan attempts to destroy Jesus by telling him to jump off the temple. How many times have we prayed for a miracle? It is not up to us. God already knows our needs. Miracles happen every day, but not on our command.