2018 Midterms: A Mixed Bag

Now that the Midterms are over, I wanted to drop in and give some random musings.

First, the good:

Democrats regain control of the House of Representatives

For the first time since 2010 Democrats take over control of the House of Representatives.  This is very much a positive.  At least one branch of government will act as a brake on the orange toad currently squatting in the White House, well, besides the judiciary.  The Democrats in the House need to go on the offensive and force the Republican Senate to say no or be forced to compromise.  If I 'm Pelosi or whoever is Speaker of the House I immediately start working on healthcare and education.  I wouldn't waste time on impeachment unless Mueller (or whoever) finds evidence of a crime.  Impeachment isn't going to work out unless someone does find evidence of Trump actually committing a crime.  I'd let it just simmer.

Kansas elects a Democratic Governor

There are two positives with this:

1) It shows that voters actually decided that the same old/same old no longer worked after years of failure and;

2) It pissed off Anne Coulter.  When that pseudo-Nazi is annoyed it makes the world a brighter place.  Frankly if it had pissed off Ben Shapiro that would be icing on a cake.

The Mixed Bag

Speaking of Governors, Democrats also won some gubernatorial races yesterday.  Besides Kansas Democrats won Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Nevada and New Mexico.

The bad part in that is Democrats did not win Florida, Iowa and Ohio.  Florida was tightly contested but in the end DeSantis won.

The ugly:

The Republicans increase their lead in the Senate

This was not unexpected, even the most optimistic projection saw the Senate at 50-50 with Pence being the tiebreaker.  The bad part is that these midterms broke wrong with Democrats running for reelection in states where Trump ran away with the vote.  Democrats wound up losing some seats.  That's bad but again, not unexpected.

Cruz gets re-elected

Tying into that was Cruz getting re-elected.  I don't believe in moral victories so it doesn't matter if Beto got close, he still lost.

Oklahomans get the same old Stitt

After eight years of Republican mismanagement I figured Okies would learn a lesson.  Alas, it was not to be.  To paraphrase a certain orange ape:

"When you are a Republican in Oklahoma you can grab'em by the ballot."

The previous Republican Governor, Mary Fallin, had such a low approval rating when she left office you would think any Republican candidate would be toxic.  Alas, attack adds and the magical "R" proves that you can take an unpopular governor out of the office and Okies will still do something stupid.

As for me now that the Midterms are over I'm devoting myself back to history.  I'll probably cook up an article or two and comment on some others.

Comments

Minister Peaceful Poet Added Nov 8, 2018 - 1:56am
"orange toad"  Had to stop right there, can't read any further.  Name calling is not a sign of intelligence, nor does it make a valid argument.  - however - yes I do agree, I think it is a good thing that the Democrats have the house and equally happy that the Republicans have the Senate.  A balance of power is always good, as power corrupts and without balances, the people suffer.
Flying Junior Added Nov 8, 2018 - 2:01am
Take heart friend.  It's arm wrestling.  There were only ten Independent and Republican Senate seats up for grabs.  That's really light considering all one hundred seats come up for re-election every six years.  It was in the cards for the republicans.  54 or 56 doesn't mean much more than 50 unless we are trying to hit the magic number 67 it's a wash.  2018 was a huge victory.  The republican agenda was thwarted.  Hallelujah brothers and sisters!

I guess you don't love Nancy Pelosi the way that I do.  Just to see her dignity and grace filled me with hope.

The thing to worry about is the accelerated pace at which the not so lame-duck congress will attempt to ram through destructive legislation before Christmas.  Knowing that demon Trump he will probably make them work the week after Christmas.

Clearly the never-before-seen ramping up of voter registration and voting was quite lop-sidedly driven by those who would vanquish the Trump regime.  By 2020 that's going to be another one million new young voters.  This year on National Voter Registration Day over 800,000 people registered to vote on September 25, 2018.

You know that total is driven by young people that want to see Trump and the republicans eat some serious crow.

Flying Junior Added Nov 8, 2018 - 2:03am
It feels good to see the republican party once again condemned to accept the label of the party of old, white men.  Yay!

Lindsay Wheeler Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:05am
And does any person of righteousness want to work with the likes of Flying Junior. The venom and Hate dripping from these paragons of Tolerance and Diversity!  What Hypocrisy.
James Travil Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:43am
^racist alert
James Travil Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:45am
I kinda feel sorry for the people in Ohio (I got a couple friends there). They just elected a fascist who ran on the promise to govern AGAINST the will of the people and take away their health care. It's going to be rough long four years for them.
George N Romey Added Nov 8, 2018 - 8:08am
Trump is a buffoon but Pelosi is everything wrong with politics.  Some one as about sincere as a snake.  She gets in front of the cameras and talks about "the American people" then promptly returns to her world-the world full of rich uber SF and Washington DC elites.  Those in SF suffering because its gotten so expensive there and they can't afford to move.  She doesn't want to know they exist.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 8:21am
@Minister of Peaceful Poet:
I like to think that any lack of intelligence I have is balanced by an equal lack of sanity.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 8:24am
@Flying Junior:

I don’t have anything against Pelosi per se but the Democratic Party with her and others like her in charge managed to completely foul things up with the American people to the point where someone like Trump looks like a viable alternative.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 8:26am
@James Travil:
Then aren’t the people of Ohio getting what they voted for?  The majority, anyway?
My advice to them is take your lumps and learn a lesson.  The Lord helps those who help themselves.
;)
Liberal1 Added Nov 8, 2018 - 9:35am
I think Nevada may have gotten it right.  They resoundingly elected a dead pimp to their assembly.   When a dead pimp gets almost 70% of the votes that should tell you something.

I figure people responded to his honesty and I fully expect Joe Biden to try to convince the dead pimp to be his running mate in 2020.

Dead Brothel Owner, Cruises to Victory in Nevada State Election
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 9:44am
LOL
I saw that, Liberal1.  Apparently a dead pimp is the ideal candidate for the party of the Christian Right.
Even A Broken Clock Added Nov 8, 2018 - 10:44am
Jeffrey and Liberal1 - I actually drove through Pahrump on the way to Death Valley from Vegas. I cannot imagine living somewhere so dry. The denizens of the houses must use an awful lot of moisturizer to stay lubricated.

The Nancy Pelosi situation is a paradox. She obviously is held in high regard by the caucus, and is a very capable fund raiser. But she is toxic in Trump country. She needs to consider whether she should fall on her sword for the good of the party if it ever wants to make inroads further than 60 miles east of the Pacific.
George N Romey Added Nov 8, 2018 - 12:05pm
Pelosi won't leave.  Like HRC and DWS he thinks she's a Queen.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 1:02pm
I agree, EABC.  She’s a target.
Jim Stoner Added Nov 8, 2018 - 1:45pm
I am encouraged but not pleased by the overall result.  The popular support for restraining President Trump was real, evident through taking back control of the House, though somewhat moderated by the effects of gerrymandering.
My enthusiasm is tempered,  not so much by the Senate outcome, which was basically unavoidable, but by a couple of the Governors' races which didn't end well (Ohio, Florida, Georgia).  I would point out the success of Sherrod Brown in Ohio; he's the best candidate the Democrats could field for 2020.
We did get rid of some nasty Republican office-holders: Kobach, Steve Pearce (NM), Dana Rohrabacher, Brat, that Arrington woman.  But we still have embarrassing us in the halls of our Federal government the likes of Steve King, Ted Cruz, Rick Scott, the two indicted Congressmen (Collins and Hunter), and of course, the D-ckhead himself, our accidental President.
There may be a few months of temperate debate and attempts to work together, but the all-out political war of 2020 will start way too soon.
Jim Stoner Added Nov 8, 2018 - 1:51pm
To Even a Broken Clock:  The Democrats need to make no political concessions to Trump or his supporters, but they should make some efforts to bring in moderates that are Republican or Independents (or third-party supporters)--they must do so without deserting the Democratic base.  It will all be about getting Trump and his crew out in 2020.  Pelosi has basically achieved her objective in getting the House back under Democratic control; she will step aside willingly before too long.
Dino Manalis Added Nov 8, 2018 - 2:36pm
 Congratulations to all the winners, it's time for Democrats and Republicans to unite with bipartisanship to tackle problems effectively.
John Minehan Added Nov 8, 2018 - 2:49pm
First thoughts:

---Will Pelosi be Speaker when her last tour in the position lost the Dems 63 seats?

---Dems did not gain enough seats to have the mandate that the GOP had in '94 or in '10 (or the Dems in '64 or '74).

---Real trick would be to compromise.  Trump has a workable health plan with the Association Health Plans and the Health Savings Accounts, work with him to build in more consumer protections.

---Someone needs to explain to them why Scandanavian Social Democracies work better than the general socialist state: 1) they aren't all that socialist in practice; and 2) there is a LOT of local control: it isn't so centralized and monolithic.

---O'Rourke proved his thesis ("Texas is not a Red State; it is a Purple State with Registration issues").  Also, in losing he had coattails in a lot of down-ballot races (e.g.,Harris County Court for one, which now has 5 Democrats as judges).  O'Rourke may have no future in elective office but he could do a lot of good as Texas Democratic Chairman.  (I'm a Right Winger, but believe you should leave one party states for the PRC).

---GOP economic success (outside of Kansas) means people are not pissed off and voting.

---The GOP model of regulatory reform and lower taxes work.  The Dems need to co-opt it but are still wedded to unworkable ideas.

---Everyone hates Bill Clinton, but "Triangulation" works (if you want economic growth and sound government).  Someone (on either side of the aisle, needs to start running that ball---but keep your paws off the interns).

Gerrilea Added Nov 8, 2018 - 3:10pm
Jeffrey K-- That's exactly what I said:

"...the Democratic Party with her and others like her in charge managed to completely foul things up with the American people to the point where someone like Trump looks like a viable alternative."

I'd add in that the D's got arrogant and exclusive of the rest of the party that I once considered myself a member of.

Then we'd have to understand that the R's wanted to lose, their corporate overlords want the "fresh" meat in the form of illegal aliens.

Status quo continues.

Neither party had anything to offer the majority of us, until Trump came along.

Flying Junior Added Nov 8, 2018 - 3:57pm
I wasn't so much advocating Pelosi again be elevated to the speakership.  But I do think she was the right spokesperson to take up the immediate cause of communicating to the people and the president.  We were celebrating.  But if someone younger and very different from Ms. Pelosi were chosen to be the speaker, the republicans would figure out a way to hate that person just as much in two or three weeks.  They hated Pelosi right out of the starting gate.  I remember.

Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:24pm
Just to see her dignity and grace filled me with hope.

Funniest thing I have read today (and even bigger lie than most of Opher's)

More wonderful constitutional understanding.  SEPARATION OF POWERS.  Trump has no say as to what the congressional calendar is.  It would not surprise me if McConnell holds off the recess though if there are things they can get through, now that they know they don't have to push through judgeships before the new congressional session
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:28pm

I'm sure that will excite the base of dead voters that regularly vote democrat.
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:30pm

she will never fall on her sword, it is all about the power for her, however many of the new democrats were elected on the promise they would NOT vote for her for speaker
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:35pm

All non-incumbet self proclaimed DS aside from Cortez lost their respective races. If nothing else came out of this election, America pretty roundly said NO to socialism.
George N Romey Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:41pm
I was in an airline lounge yesterday and Pelosi was speaking on the tv. She sounds as phony and fake as a pink three dollar bill.  The only Americans she gives a flying fig about are her rich, elite Washington DC and SFO liberal friends.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:49pm
@Jim Stoner:

It was a good start, the Senate didn’t work out due to circumstances but that’s the way it is.

This is why the Democrats need to go on the offensive in the House.  Push, make the Senate and Trump the bad guy, never stop until you at least get a decent compromise....then pull a Trump and declare victory.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:53pm
“---"Democratic Socialists" (like Rep. Ocasio-Cortez) have the potential to muck it up.  "The perfect is the enmy of the good enough" and "Better a good plan today, vigorously executed, than a perfect plan long delayed."  George S. Patton.”

She doesn’t really have enough backing to muck things up, not yet at least.  Give her a say, let her add things, work with her.  There’s nothing wrong with that and frankly the Democratic Party needs the energy.

She’s a very junior member so she starts at the bottom.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 4:55pm
@Ken:
”I'm sure that will excite the base of dead voters that regularly vote democrat.”

Well, maybe it’s better to have dead voters than the Republicans who vote for a dead pimp.

:D

That is just still so damn funny....LOL
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 5:00pm
@Gerrilea:
What does Trump have to offer?  A fake fresh perspective from a New York billionaire who claims to speak for the “forgotten men and women?”

Please.  He’s a clown, always has been, from the 80’s when he was tabloid fodder to now.  He used to be mildly entertaining but somewhere along the line Bannon took him under his wing and made him a pseudo nationalist.  Now he just fumbles around with his sweaty little hands on the reigns of government.  I still don’t know if I should laugh, cry or vomit.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 5:03pm
@John Minehan:
”GOP economic success (outside of Kansas) means people are not pissed off and voting.”

John, on a macro level I can tell you that you are wrong.  The Republicans tried the same thing in Oklahoma.  They made it a red state paradise...for a time.  Then they broke the budget.

Trust me, it doesn’t work.  It never has, never will.  I’ve got the scars and T-shirt to prove it.
Jim Stoner Added Nov 8, 2018 - 5:15pm
Vomit.  We must reject the Drumpfian infection from the body politic, but like a bad cold, it can settle into the lungs, it takes time to recover.  Tuesday was the first step; getting him out by Jan. 2021 will be the next one.  There is no chance he will be removed from office via impeachment; maybe some chance we will make him so miserable he will quit, or his head or his heart (if he has one) explode--we can deal with that robot tool, Pence, if that happens.
One thing that we should all agree on is:  Good riddance to Jeff Sessions!

Jeffrey:  You are so right about Trump since the '80's--we lived in NYC at the time so we were way too familiar with his BS to fall for it--that's why it was so hard to believe that so many Americans would (fall for it).
    Ocasio-Cortez is an atypical Democratic office-holder:  there are not many districts like hers.
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 5:38pm

However, one is legal the other is not....
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 5:40pm

Because the democrats have been so successful with the economics in the big cities they have run for half a century or longer and are in desperate straights, because of their corrupt policies, right?
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 6:04pm
@Ken:
”Who knows if it was republicans who voted for the guy?  maybe he was beloved or maybe they decided no representation better than anyone?”

LOL, sure, Ken.  He got 70% of the vote, I’d say there were a large percentage of Republicans who voted for him.

“However, one is legal the other is not....”

Sure.  But there’s never been any proof of widespread voter fraud.  That’s a Trump dream to salve his wounded pride over not getting the popular vote.

Frankly I admit that’s skewed but Trump is too stupid to get that.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 8, 2018 - 6:12pm
@Ken:
”Because the democrats have been so successful with the economics in the big cities they have run for half a century or longer and are in desperate straights because of their corrupt policies, right?”

Hey, all I know is I live in red state with a Republican supermajority.  They turned this into a Petri dish to prove their economic policies work and broke the state economy.  It’s all fun and games until oil prices broke wrong and there were no revenues to fix the deficit.

You tell me, Ken.  According to the Republican economic model we should be rolling in cash from the tax breaks and the kowtowing to big oil.  Instead schools are falling down, textbooks are 20 years old (or more), we had to freeze daycare subsidies for three months, cut services to the elderly and children and we lose our best teachers who go elsewhere for better pay.

I realize children and education aren’t high on the list of Republican priorities, they love the unborn but that stops after birth but don’t you think screwing over future generations a really bad idea?
Jeff Michka Added Nov 8, 2018 - 6:18pm
I'm sure Kenny was trying to get around to implying, Ds bused in illegals to vote for the dead pimp to make Ts "look bad." And all these Geezus lovers cut from whole cloth, awash in virtue and purity, like Lindsay claim he is, are so proud of the "moral choice' of electing a dead pimp, it's another reason to laugh AT these clowns.  I guess the caravan didn't make it in time to sway elections in Texas.  So where were all those millions of illegal voters there were two years ago?   You've got one of the ERW crowd here talking about the dead voting again, again, and again.  Oh yeah, they just couldn't find enough buses to bring 'em all to the polls.  George Soros' checks were late!!!
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 6:21pm
But there’s never been any proof of widespread voter fraud.

Only because it is very hard to detect and there have been quite a few places it has shown up that have been previously documented

And now it appears Broward country is at it again just as they did before, suddenly coming up with more votes 48 hours after the election was over, and shockingly they all seem to favor democrats!
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 6:24pm
What exactly is the "Republican economic model"?

How about cutting spending?  while cutting taxes broadens the tax base, if isn't enough if spending just keeps going up.  Until all governments get tired of spending your money, it will be a disaster everywhere.  This isn't Keynesian economics vs Austrian Economics, this is a bastardization with unlimited spending and then asking for the federal government to come in and save them.  It is irresponsible leadership which we have at virtually all levels of government and why we need to shrink government, get it out of our day to day lives and give it minimal to do - because it does nothing as efficiently as the private sector.
opher goodwin Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:04pm
Step 1 - put the brakes on Trump - a good thing.
Step 2 - bring back compassion.
Ken Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:22pm
Step 1 - put the brakes on Trump - a good thing.
Step 2 - bring back compassion.

Go fix Britain, you have plenty of your own problems.  You have no understanding of U.S. politics yet you constantly want to comment on them and look the fool.

1- that's it, put the breaks on the best economy in 20 years with more people working then ever and record unemployment across most demographics, and those that aren't records are the lowest in decades.  Put the breaks on foreign policy that actually has the world paying attention again and respecting (although you will wrongly argue otherwise).  Let's not forget put the breaks on judges that actually adhere to the constitution - oh wait, nothing they can do about that!

2 - the only ones lacking compassion are the violent radicals on the left that still can't accept that Trump won.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:31pm
Yeah, we're back to Kenny telling us all about the violent leftists, because that's his primary narrative.  Uh huh, it's that bad old left without compassion, not advocating kids and parents be separated, and not advocating women pushing strollers be subjected to air strikes.  Kenny only advocates tiki torches to illuminate the path while chanting "Jews will not replace us."  First of all, it's a leap suggesting a Jew or anyone sane would want "your place," and with luck Muslims will replace you.
John Minehan Added Nov 8, 2018 - 7:45pm
I live in upstate NY.

The effects of a socialized economy are dire.  As a lawyer, I can tell you that a lot of the regulatory structure looks like an attempt to collect money from small businesses for technical infractions.

Mr. Kelly, possibly, too much of anything is too much.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 8, 2018 - 11:05pm

Bwahaaaaw!!!!

David Montaigne Added Nov 8, 2018 - 11:47pm
There is not so much a mixed bag in the 2018 elections as a failure by Republicans to accomplish much in the two years since 2016 in which they had somewhat of a popular mandate.  Draining the swamp of corrupt politicians now seems like even less of an impossible dream.
Ken Added Nov 9, 2018 - 12:26am

Jeff, you really are pathetic and I don't believe have had an original thought in your life.  I notice you started running with a phrase earlier today that someone else said and you must have said "cool, I can use that to attack and your next several poss all referenced it.

I know you don't care, but Obama split more children and adults be separated than Trump ever did, and Trump also signed an EO to bring them together IF determine they are actually parent and child - you know - because most aren't?  oh, you don't give a damn about that right, just tell your lie...

and not advocating women pushing strollers be subjected to air strikes.

give a single bit of evidence to this, but I know you won't because you can't and you throw out accusations all the time but never defend a single thing with facts.  You are lucky someone like autumn runs this site rather than me, because if it were me, I would cut off your constant unsubstantiated attacks rather than lose users to build the site.  You should be grateful someone like her is actually allows your hostility and never once able to defend your comment.

Yea, because I have been so totally anti-semite, right?  I am so afraid of being replaced.  Again, you will never provide a single shred of evidence because that entire paragraph is a complete lie and I have never said any such thing about Jews or Muslims, or any faith.
Flying Junior Added Nov 9, 2018 - 2:38am
Can you fucking bitches just put to bed for once and for all this lie about undocumented voters?  Infantile, baseless idiocy.

Jeffrey,

I haven't seen you this fired up for some time.  You seem to be cheering up!

Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 8:12am
LOL

Well, not all bad news lately.  Okies are still damn stupid but the rest of the country is starting to realize what a cluster this is.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 8:27am
@Ken:
”What exactly is the "Republican economic model"?”

Well, in laymen’s terms it’s cutting taxes on those who can afford them in vague hopes that these generous people will pass the largesse down.  The great part is that this shifts the tax burden on those least able to afford it while cutting services those people need.

I know this sounds counterintuitive but this is balanced by fear mongering, appeals to to patriotism and sucking up to people’s religious beliefs.  It’s weird but apparently it works really well.

“How about cutting spending?”

How about adjusting tax rates so that those who can afford it pay more than those who can’t?

BTW Ken, Oklahoma cut the hell out of spending.  Oddly this just made things worse, weird, huh?

“while cutting taxes broadens the tax base,”

It does?  Funny, Oklahoma did that and things, again, got worse.  Kansas did the same and it got worse for them.

“if isn't enough if spending just keeps going up.”

Well, we see what happened with the great “Welfare for the Rich Donors and Corporations Tax Bill of 2017.”  The deficit skyrocketed.  Understandably this is alarming to Thud and McConnell but don’t you worry, Ken.  They’ll come up with another Caravan to distract everyone while they take a knife to the budget.

They’ll try, anyway.
;)

Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 8:31am
BTW, Ken, in your defense I’ve never seen you say anything in the least antisemitic or advocating violence against Muslims.  Or anyone else for that matter.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 8:55am
@John Minehan:
”Mr. Kelly, possibly, too much of anything is too much.“

I agree.
BTW in spite of assumptions made about my belief system (Yer a Socialist, Mr. Kelly because all liberals are Socialists!!!!) I consider myself a moderate.  Unbridled Socialism doesn’t work, neither does Communism.  What is needed is a balance.

I have nothing against capitalism and people making money.  If you are successful, why, good for you.  What I expect you to do is pay your fair share.

I also believe in funding education because we need our kids smart and prepared for the future.  That’s all kids, rich, poor, middle class.  If you can afford to send your kids to private school, good for you.  But that doesn’t mean some kid who can’t gets the shaft.

Yes, I believe in universal healthcare.  It may not be a right but it makes a hell of a lot of sense.  Healthy people contribute more to society than sick ones.  Preventative care early on means healthier people as they get older.  This means less burden on society.  Why should someone who gets sick have to lose everything?

I also believe in helping people out when they get in a jam.  In that I’m actually more of a Christian than most Christians I see.  I also think that giving the working poor access to things like daycare and healthcare means they will stay employed.

Now, this isn’t a magical fix.  Not everyone will stay employed, people get hooked on drugs and alcohol, whatever. I know.  But I think these things help more than cutting taxes and hoping for the best.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 8:56am
@David Montaigne:

Trump is a swamp monster who is busy digging the swamp deeper.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 9, 2018 - 10:10am
You seem to be cheering up!

Thanks for noticing.

Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 9, 2018 - 10:12am
Mr. Kelly, possibly, too much of anything is too much.“

The mantra is: "Excess in moderation"
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 10:20am
Wrong, Jeffrey, Jeffry.  I imagine you can’t feel very happy, with the House going back to Democratic control in January 2019 your fevered expectation of the destruction of America will have to wait.
Kristen Foley Added Nov 9, 2018 - 4:05pm
Prior to the Democrats taking control of the House, it was already painfully clear the President didn’t have the votes to pass his agenda.  You see, unlike Democrats who vote in unison on virtually everything, Republicans think for themselves.  For example, many of those Republicans chose not to pass Trumpcare and because of that, Obamacare remains in place.  Only a few days ago Paul Ryan said this about Trump’s proposal to end birthright citizenship:

As a conservative, I'm a believer in following the plain text of the Constitution and I think in this case the 14th Amendment is pretty clear.

I would also add that calling the president names, isn’t very mature.  However, you do sound a like every liberal I’ve come to know.  That is, and seeing that we’re calling people names, you sound a lot like a whiny little schoolboy.
John Minehan Added Nov 9, 2018 - 4:44pm
One explanation for Kansas . . . .
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 4:50pm
Thanks, John.  I do think that the Republican record in that state worked against it, plus Korbach is a bit repulsive.
John Minehan Added Nov 9, 2018 - 4:50pm
Mr. Kelly: You are not a socialist but NYS has slipped part being a bastion of rational, moderate policy (as I suspect OK has in the other direction).

It may be time for people to do something, however, before the two collide coming from opposite directions.

As a friend of mine from both Libertarian and Health Law circles keeps saying, "It really is time for a 'Purple Party.'" (Political rather than social event, as I know.)
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 5:03pm
@Kristen Foley:
”Prior to the Democrats taking control of the House, it was already painfully clear the President didn’t have the votes to pass his agenda.  You see, unlike Democrats who vote in unison on virtually everything, Republicans think for themselves.”

You seem to forget those Democrats who did vote with the Republican Party on things like Kavanaugh.
You also forget that the opposition party often votes in a block when they are out of power, for example when Democrats held the House and Senate or while Obama was president.  It’s the only way to get their point across when they have no chance of getting things passed.  The Republicans voted as a block to repeal the ACA a few times when Obama was president because they knew there was no way to get it passed.

“For example, many of those Republicans chose not to pass Trumpcare and because of that, Obamacare remains in place.”

Because they knew to an extent that it was political suicide to repeal something to which they had no solution in place....a couple, anyway.  McCain is an example, he voted to repeal when Obama was in office.

“So you couldn’t be any more wrong when you assert that “At least one branch of government will act as a brake on the orange toad currently squatting in the White House, well, besides the judiciary.”

I don’t think I am.  I also call it a toad when it is a toad.

“I would also add that calling the president names, isn’t very mature.”

I have my moments.  Besides, I’m just acting like the president, are you saying that he is not a good role model?

“However, you do sound a like every liberal I’ve come to know.  That is, and seeing that we’re calling people names, you sound a lot like a whiny little schoolboy.”

Big, big words from a Trumpling that has commented for the first and last time on my article.

BTW, no, that does not mean I’m going to delete your comment.  I never delete comments, unlike Thomas and others.  I let them stand because I have no issues with anyone saying what’s on their mind on any of my articles.  I think everyone needs to be heard.
John Minehan Added Nov 9, 2018 - 5:04pm
"Now, this isn’t a magical fix."

No, man, it is a process, which always needs adjusting.  That "adjustment is called "politics," which is "the art of the possible."
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 5:06pm
Yes, John, it is a process.  I have no idea if anyone will ever come up with a perfect solution because all political systems/ideologies are flawed.  People are flawed.  This is why I favor a mix.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 5:07pm
I think they’ve already collided.
John Minehan Added Nov 9, 2018 - 6:10pm
Vox had an interesting article on this.  The basic thesis was that this was a big victory for the Dems.

It is certainly a victory, but less than '94 or '10 or '74 or '06.

Let's see . . . .
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 6:43pm
Yes, we won’t know the true implications for some time.
Ken Added Nov 9, 2018 - 6:48pm

It is certainly a victory

Of course Vox would say that.  vox probably said the same thing when they lost 62 seats in the house and 6 in the senate in 2010.  Vox is nothing but left wing propaganda.

How is this a victory for the left?  They only gained slightly more than average seats in the house and lost seats in the senate.  This is a fairly typical midterm first term presidential election where the democrats fared slightly worse than average.

And that's a victory?  Ok.  I guess if you compare it to recent lumps they have taken, you take it where you can get it...
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 7:40pm
@Ken:
”How is this a victory for the left?  They only gained slightly more than average seats in the house and lost seats in the senate.  This is a fairly typical midterm first term presidential election where the democrats fared slightly worse than average.”

I suppose if it comforts you to think that......

The Democrats now control the House, Ken.  That’s a big deal.
Ken Added Nov 9, 2018 - 7:43pm
It is, but it is hardly a "victory"  It was a pretty standard number of seats changing parties in a typical midterm, and the senate slipped farther from their control.  In a typoical midterm they would have gained 2-3 senate seats which in this case would have given them control there as well.

Hardly anything to crow about.  It is a mixed bag at best
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 7:55pm
That’s what I said, Ken.  Pay attention to the topic.

Actually there were more Democrats up for re-election this year in red states.  It was hardly unexpected, I even said that the best the Democrats could hope for was a 50-50 split.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 9, 2018 - 7:56pm
Look, Ken, it’s even in the title:
2018 Midterms: A Mixed Bag
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 10, 2018 - 2:14am

your fevered expectation of the destruction of America will have to wait.

We all have our crosses to bear.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 10, 2018 - 9:15am
Jeffry, I live in this country, so does my wife and family.  Your fervent desire for this country to destroy itself would doom me and more importantly, them.  So pardon me when I tell you to go fuck yourself.

On a lighter note I always enjoy your avatars.  Don’t ever change.
Jim Stoner Added Nov 10, 2018 - 10:10pm
David Montaigne:  If what you mean by that is that the "Drain the swamp" promise of Trump's campaign was somewhere between a bald-faced lie and a hypocritical pretense, I agree (let's call it "an impossible dream").
We have gone from transparent and clean to hiding information and dispensing lies by the bucketload.  I could follow the Lindsay Wheeler approach and say that all who support Trump's undermining the US Constitution are treasonous (or that Trump, by corruptly advocating the objectives of an adversary over our own nation's interests, is committing treason), but I will not.   Instead, I will appeal to all Americans who love their country to reject Drumpf's insanity.    While examining his tax returns may make his motivations more clear, I don't really care: everything he does is either wrong or done badly, usually both.  There are no exceptions.
Ken Added Nov 10, 2018 - 11:38pm
Pay attention to the topic.

I did, the response was making it sound like this was  a big win, and I was simply bringing it back to the reality.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 11, 2018 - 12:55am
Ken, it’s in the title.  I called it a mixed back.  There was good and bad.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 11, 2018 - 12:56am
Jim Stoner:
Trump is just digging the swamp deeper.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 11, 2018 - 7:20am

Several times I have mentioned that you're tied to that sinking ship by your own thoughts.

YOU CAN change that.

On a lighter note I always enjoy your avatars. Don’t ever change.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 11, 2018 - 10:26am
I am working to change that, Jeffry.  I start by never voting Republican.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 11, 2018 - 4:06pm
Where it was a victory, it was in states.  Things really happen at a state level, and officials are accessible if you want to access them.  Obviously, there are exceptions, but to me, I see it better in states than trying to move disfunctional institutions at a federal level.  Fortunately, I guess Faced, Lindsay, and other neo- or just cryptofascists don't live where I do.  Mogg Turd doesn't either.  Move to Iowa, gateway to Nebraska.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 11, 2018 - 7:47pm
 I start by never voting Republican.

You perfectly illustrate my point of being tied by your thoughts.

Getting your kids out of there is the most responsible thing you can do for them.

Anything else is failure.

Good luck.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Nov 11, 2018 - 7:51pm
Thanks, Jeffry but I think I’ll stick it out here.

Recent Articles by Writers Jeffrey Kelly follows.