I consider myself a firm centrist

I absolutely, unequivocally refuse to support somebody that is a proven racist. As it relates to Trump, I just don't see proof of racism.

Because of the fact I don't consider Trump a racist, doesn't mean I'm a "Trump supporter". I didn't vote for him, and I won't vote for him. At this point, it's tough to think of a politician I fully support. I've always thought of myself as a Liberal, by the definition of the word. Recently though, it seems like the people in America that call themselves "liberals", are anything but. On the American political spectrum, I would consider myself a firm centrist, or as the leftists would say "Alt-Right, White Nationalst Nazi". I agree with both sides, on certain subjects.

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Nov 9, 2018 - 4:58am
Trump isn't any "-ist". He simply reacts to where profit can be made.
TreeParty Added Nov 9, 2018 - 1:49pm
He is definitely a narciss-ist and a misogyny-ist. Fixed that for you...
Koshersalaami Added Nov 9, 2018 - 2:55pm
OK, Trump and race.

The problem comes in what his constituency is upset about. What they’re mainly upset about is perceived threats to the current majority by minorities. They are afraid of illegal aliens coming in from Mexico, even though they don’t seem to ever push for penalties for Americans who hire them, which would end the problem more comprehensively than anything else, including walls. Added to this is myths about terrorists entering the country that way, when terrorists take the far easier path of flying in on student visas. They’re afraid of being displaced by minorities getting preferences, even though those preferences are just an inadequate effort to help those minorities catch up. They’re afraid of inadequate policing from the police having their hands tied by the efforts of such organizations as Black Lives Matter, ignoring why such an organization arose in the first place. And they’re thoroughly sick of being “censored” by PC.

When those concerns are addressed, the direct result is that bigotry becomes condoned in high places. This was started on the campaign by Steve Bannon, who oversaw such things as Trump online ads taking their blueprints from previous ads placed by antisemitic organizations, to the point where one anti-Hillary ad started out with a Star of David in the ad.

Trump vilified BLM. He vilified Mexicans. He vilified Muslims, even though Muslims routinely fight and die for the United States in our armed forces. And when Charlottesville happened, complete with guys in swastikas marching with torches chanting “Jews will not replace us!”, a few armed protestors hanging around across the street from a Charlottesville synagogue for intimidation value, and of course an actual killing, Trump’s comment was that there were fine people on both sides.

What happened? When bigotry was sanctioned, hate crimes escalated heavily. The latest bigotry-cat-out-of-the-bag manifestation happened in a Squirrel Hill synagogue to the tune of the gunman screaming “All Jews must die!”

Trump is not antisemitic. He’s done business in New York with Jews forever, including his late lawyer and close friend Roy Cohn. His son-in-law, daughter, and grandchildren are Jewish. I can’t tell you if he’s racist but I haven’t seen proof that he is in the same way I haven’t seen proof that he’s antisemitic.

The problem is not Trump’s bigotry, it’s that he was elected by bigots, continues to support them, and protects bigotry. The worst result is that people die.

How did Trump react to the Squirrel Hill murders? What he did was fly to Pittsburgh and visit the gravesites. Entirely appropriate - though there are people who didn’t want him there, that visit was necessary. What he did Not do was issue a statement to his supporters saying something like: “I am not OK with this. I don’t want anyone killing anyone using me as a justification or an excuse. Murderers are scum. Period.” He didn’t tell anyone to stop because he made his political career on telling them that their feelings were OK, just like a psychologist.

So no, we can’t be sure he’s a racist. What we can be sure of is that his election and Presidency have triggered a lot of racist actions and that he is responsible for that because he condoned it. That’s I think a decent summation of his innocence and guilt. Judge him how you will. Just don’t think that no racism means no responsibility for its consequences.
George N Romey Added Nov 9, 2018 - 4:04pm
I don't think Trump is anymore racist or non racist than any President from FDR on.  As noted he is an opportunist that feeds on what a target audience either fears or values.  He's been that way for life.  He is in the mold of B T Barnum.

While he has no "pc" filter which is generally a good thing he communicates in a buffoonish way.  There's a way to tell unspoken truths and Trump doesn't have the ability to be that blunt talker he sees himself to be.  Also, he has practiced a life long habit of never really revealing what he truly thinks.  He vacillates as he sees fit.

However, at the core he is not much different than other politicians.  He promises a lot and confers that he has the wisdom, the power and the ability to make all the needed change.  The differences that you see are superficial and people in general aren't smart enough to see past the surface.
John Minehan Added Nov 9, 2018 - 5:52pm
"Trump is, in terms of race, a political opportunist. In one respect, and only in one, he’s an unusually honest politician: He figured out what his constituency was upset about, talked incessantly about those issues (aside from draining the swamp and getting money out of Washington, where he’s made things worse), and did not give up on those issues once he reached office."

goldminor Added Nov 10, 2018 - 12:50am
@ koshersalaami ...the country is not afraid of illegals. Do you hear any outcry about the million plus legal entrants into the US every year? Of course not. Why? Because they are legally entering.

The media's claim that Rs are afraid of illegals is a lie, aka fake news. Can you explain how unrestricted illegal immigration would benefit this nation? What effect does that have on rental housing? Does that make rental housing cheaper for all? How about jobs. Does it make finding jobs easier for the bottom structure of Americans to let in millions of poorly educated arrivals to compete for lower end jobs?

Does rampant illegal immigration help the millions of homeless on our streets? What is about illegal immigrants that you like so much that you continually root for them?

Perhaps what this nation needs is to split itself into two semi autonomous groups. That way your side could allow for every hair brained feel good liberal idea, and the rest of us can get on with living our lives in the original American idea of freedom from repressive, or restrictive government overreach. The US government is supposed to be there to protect the nation from outside and inside threats to an orderly society, and not to remake society to fit some ideological fantasy of utopia for all.
Koshersalaami Added Nov 10, 2018 - 1:11am
If Republicans aren’t afraid of illegal immigrants, please explain what’s going on with all those troops at the border to fend off a group of unarmed refugees hundreds of miles away.

And no, my saying that does not mean that I favor just letting them all into the country. Immigrants should be vetted.

As to the consequences of illegal immigration, I find the descriptions less than honest because they carefully only show one side of the coin. Gross costs are not net costs. Whether or not I favor illegal immigration, which I mostly don’t, it does bring some advantages to the country, starting with affordable groceries because of cheap farm labor. Maybe I’m missing something, but I haven’t seen a big population of Americans claiming they can’t get jobs in agriculture because they’re all taken by illegals. Illegals also pay sales taxes for which they receive no benefits. They also spend a lot of the money they make here, stimulating our economy.

That still doesn’t mean we should allow illegal immigration, though I’d say the farm labor issue alone indicates that there ought to be some sort of legal status more accessible here for more of them. What it does mean is that the way to figure out the net cost is to subtract the savings from the gross costs. Ignoring those savings is great for advocacy but lousy for analysis.
goldminor Added Nov 10, 2018 - 1:45am
It doesn't take 20+ million illegals to harvest crops. There is already a migrant harvesting population which does that. So that claim of yours does not hold water. It is too bad that American youth didn't have a bit more gumption to go out and experience what it means to do hard work like that. It has its benefits. Heck, I spent a season in a pear orchard in Oregon one year as I needed a job, and I always fended for myself and had been taught not to shirk away from hard work. Instead I learned to embrace it.

So there I was at 50 years of age out in the pear orchard with a whole bunch of younger Mexican farm workers. They were very surprised that I was able to keep up with them, or even surpass some of them at laboring in the fields. My dad taught me that whatever I did in life, even if it was pushing a broom, that I should do it with dignity, and with respect for the person paying my wages. I lived my life doing just that. American youth could benefit from the same if they had the stones. Some portion of them still have that level of work ethics.

As to the troops on the border that has zero to do with fear. Do you lock your front door at night? If so, then why? Are you afraid? Or are you just being sensible?
Koshersalaami Added Nov 10, 2018 - 9:53am
Sure I lock the door, but I don’t call the cops. This is an overreaction.
goldminor Added Nov 10, 2018 - 5:32pm
Kosher s ...there is no door down there so someone needs to be there, or the border would be overrun. The current numbers are 2,000 caught every day trying to enter into the US. That is 720,000+ illegal entrants per year. Does that not constitute an invasion? Imagine if we just gave up as some of the top Dems would like to see happen. There would be then be many millions per year.

Where does the housing come from for all of them. Are water supplies adequate to handle such an inflow. How about waste disposal, etc , etc, etc.
Koshersalaami Added Nov 10, 2018 - 5:34pm
The question isn’t whether somone needs to be there. Obviously. The question is whether the resources being committed are anything but cosmetic for nervous voters.
Ken Added Nov 12, 2018 - 6:19pm

Apparently you know very little about presidential history.  3 of the most racist presidents in history  governed during that time.  FDR, LBJ, and BHO.

Just throw in Woodrow Wilson and Andrew Jackson and you have the top 5.  And note - they are ALL democrat
Ken Added Nov 12, 2018 - 6:21pm

They aren't unarmed and they aren't refugees.  they are 80% male, many identified gang and convicted criminals.  If they are refugees, why are they not registering in Mexico as international law requires?  They are invaders, intent on storming the borders of America.

Refusal to admit this proven fact shows you care nothing about the truth and are nothing but an ideologue.
Koshersalaami Added Nov 12, 2018 - 6:38pm

Neither one of these reports sounds like what you’re describing. What’s your source for this proven fact?