Death of a Holiday

Thanksgiving used to be my favorite holiday. As a matter of fact, it was the only holiday I celebrated. Most of the other ones are religious, or more for children, and as I am neither, they eventually became like any other day to me. I always looked forward to Thanksgiving; sitting around, eating, drinking, chatting, and watching movies, all to wretched excess, and, of course, giving Thanks.

It seems that something else is replacing this very family-oriented holiday, and it’s called Black Friday. Flagrant and naked commercialism is increasingly smothering Thanksgiving and superseding it, turning it from a blessing to a curse. This horrible day, the aptly-named Black Friday, to me signifies everything wrong with people, and this country, in general.

Instead of celebrating Thanksgiving, they are literally camping out in areas adjacent to malls, shopping centers, and of course, Walmarts. No longer do people tell me what they ate, drank or who they saw on Thanksgiving. Now, it's all about the "deals" they got on Black Friday. Despicable. Disgusting. Deplorable. What is this country really coming to? I thought the blatant commercialism of Christmas was bad enough; perhaps we should change the name from "Thanksgiving" to "Thanks Walmart" or “Thanks Amazon”. Sad.

There's certainly no appreciation being shown, except maybe the merchants who designed this sorry state of affairs and watch their accounts go from red to black, hence the name, “Black Friday.” Let the suckers duke it out over parking spaces and big-screen TV's and clothes for their kids; I'll be at home, or at a friend's house, smoking pot, drinking cocktails, munching on something tasty, and laughing at them the whole time, but also kind of sad for them, too.

Comments

John Minehan Added Nov 22, 2018 - 8:30am
I've always been a fan of Presidents' Day.  By February, it is nice to potentially get a day off.
@ John M. - Sounds a little sarcastic there, John, which is atypical of you, lol. The co-owner of the company I work at makes a point of telling me "Happy Veteran's Day", but still isn't inclined to give me the day, or at least an afternoon off, lol.
Dino Manalis Added Nov 22, 2018 - 8:51am
 Happy Thanksgiving!  It should be a daily routine to give thanks to everyone and everything in our lives.
@ Dino - Thanks, and same to you! And you are absolutely right!
Steel Breeze Added Nov 22, 2018 - 11:52am
Happy Thanksgiving.....btw,i ALWAYS warned employers that no matter what,i dont work on Veterans Day and they can do what they want about it........neva got any flack...
George N Romey Added Nov 22, 2018 - 1:43pm
I agree. People beating the hell out of each other for a $200 lap top. I want nothing of this insanity.
Jeff Jackson Added Nov 22, 2018 - 5:48pm
Funny, everyone goes back to work on Monday, yet we have the unrecognized (at least in time off) cyber Monday. Is everyone ordering from their computer while they are working?
Flying Junior Added Nov 23, 2018 - 4:09am
I just ignore it.  Why the hell anyone would want to ruin their time off by going to the mall or some superstore?  Who the hell cares?  If I need a new TV in January, am I going to wait until Thanksgiving to buy it?  Maybe it's because I don't watch TV.

I don't need any of that shit that they are peddling.  Of course it's time to get busy with Christmas presents, but who wants a bunch of worthless electronics and cheap consumer goods?  Don't we just buy this crap throughout the year as the need arises?  I'd rather get something really far out for my kids.  Money is no object.  It is better to give than to receive.  In September I bought our daughter a super nice ladies' Liv entry level 21-speed mountain bike just because she needed a bike.  I bought her a nicer saddle.  Then I got her a nice French frame pump.

I would say that Thanksgiving is for kicking back and enjoying some beers and college football.  But unfortunately, someone has to do the preparation.  It's a mixed blessing when our daughter gets here.  Her help is invaluable.  And nobody is more cheerful.  But with two teenage boys, it's fucking panic mode for the next six hours.  I don't know why kids are so fucking spoiled today!  Don't get me wrong.  There was that one magic moment talking with my wife and my parents after the kids split.  I went about ten hours with my only break being dinner and driving my parents home.  But you know?  I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Minister Peaceful Poet Added Nov 23, 2018 - 6:14am
This is the time of year we all go in debt and I hate it.  I'm married and I can't stop my wife from spending.  We go into a buyer frenzy and forget that there are people in need and this is supposed to be the time of giving, not taking.  But so it, brain washed by bargains and commercials that teach us that we can't live without that thing or upgrade.  We would be sad and blue without it.
The Burghal Hidage Added Nov 23, 2018 - 11:03am
I’m with you Michael.... really little use for any holidays. No longer require the excuse for killing brain cells
one day sucks as hard as any other :)
Jeff Michka Added Nov 23, 2018 - 2:13pm
Gee, I guess we're just stupid, volunteering to help feed others as part of our "thanks."  Of course, if you believe Facebook, all holiday depression and unhappiness can instantly be erased by logginh into Facebook.  A couple of years back, Facebook ran an ad I called "Cool girl."  A 20 something female was sitting at a Tday table with apparent family around them, an elderly woman talking about holidays past, much to the obvious annoyance of "Cool girl," she gets up, and without a word, walks away from the table, goes into a nearby room, shuts the door and logs into Facebook with her phone and is instantly made happy with snowball fights and kittens filling the phone's screen.  Human interaction is sooooo uncool.  I mean, why would we NEED people when we've got Facedbook?  Why do we need to talk to "other people" that may not be like us?  Hmmm.  Folks like Ben Sasse in "Them" attributes many of our problems due to nhe new refusals to relate to people: our neighbors, our coworkers, our families.  Fuck them, they aren't cool.  We don't need them!!! Away!!!
James Travil Added Nov 23, 2018 - 4:15pm
I agree with you Michael. I enjoyed taking some time off to spend with my family and friends and being thankful for what I have. I'm not at all into the black Friday nonsense. It's funny because I remember how we use to get all there black Friday mail adverts now it's tons of email for the same. Only now the stores have gotten even more greedy and many begin their "black Friday" sales on Thanksgiving. Thanks but no thanks for that.
John Minehan Added Nov 23, 2018 - 6:48pm
"@ John M. - Sounds a little sarcastic there, John, which is atypical of you, lol. The co-owner of the company I work at makes a point of telling me 'Happy Veteran's Day', but still isn't inclined to give me the day, or at least an afternoon off, lol."

Not being sarcastic, but it is nice to have when you have it.  And as one of the bosses, it is partially my fault when we don't!
Jeff Michka Added Nov 23, 2018 - 8:41pm
I've never envisioned either Michael B  or John Minehan as mall rats, green, blue or puce Friday.  Why would they be?
Katharine Otto Added Nov 23, 2018 - 9:53pm
Michael B.,
It occurs to me Americans have been conditioned to be chronically dissatisfied.  To designate only one day a year for appreciating what we already have seems backwards.  We should dedicate only one day a year to taking what we have for granted, and be thankful the rest of the year.

Now that you mention it, it does seem odd that "Black Friday," the day after Thanksgiving, becomes one of frenzied acquisitiveness, as if to atone for being thankful.
Lindsay Wheeler Added Nov 23, 2018 - 10:29pm
It's a three-ring-circus! The vulgar class will be petty!
James Travil Added Nov 23, 2018 - 11:14pm
So says the resident antisemite hermit!
Mircea Negres Added Nov 24, 2018 - 1:53am
Michael, we don't have Thanksgiving in South Africa or much to be thankful for even if we did- apparently the distillery or distribution center of my favourite brandy's manufacturer went up in smoke a few days back, so I'm not happy ;-). What we do have for the second year running though, is the rank stupidity of Black Friday. I wanted to buy cigarettes and cold drink, perhaps some "sev and nuts" (an Indian snack made of spicy roasted noodles, peanuts and lentils(?) ) for the moments when Rex, my friend's dog, does not object to me watching a little TV, but valued my physical and mental health more than a trip to the shops nearby. I'll go later today (Saturday) for what I need, after I take Rex for a spin around the neighbourhood and a moment of reflection upon the fact that we can't take with us that big ass TV and computer we just got a great deal on when we die. After all the Egyptians tried it and all that happened was their graves got looted and mummies displayed for the world to see in all their desiccated glory... Nah, to hell with consumerism.
Flying Junior Added Nov 24, 2018 - 2:07am
Thanksgiving will never die.  Even homeless people can feel the love.

George N Romey Added Nov 24, 2018 - 10:36am
Well we celebrated with the Indians then butchered them all. Today Americans beat the hell out of each other for a $200 laptop. I’d say a very fitting holiday indeed.
Thank you all for your valuable comments! I see that I'm not alone in being against mindless consumerism. One of the things that I like about WB is that, for better or worse, it's full of independent-minded people, lol.
The Burghal Hidage Added Nov 24, 2018 - 11:15am
True dat
Yeah, especially Cali-phobic east coast assholes like TBH here, lol.
The Burghal Hidage Added Nov 24, 2018 - 11:33am
LOL..... is that like supercaliphobilistic?
@ TBH - Actually, no...you're pretty mild, I've heard much worse, lol. Please tell me what state you're from, so I can attack it, too, lol.
The Burghal Hidage Added Nov 24, 2018 - 12:44pm
Born a Buckeye, but I’ve been all over. I currently reside in the republic of Kush :)
The Burghal Hidage Added Nov 24, 2018 - 12:45pm
About time to change that avatar again, isn’t it? Might I suggest the Grinch?
@ TBH - A Fuckeye! LOL! Even worse than the fucking east coast; the lame-ass midwest! Actually though, most Fuckeyes I've known have been OK.

Regarding the avatar, how's this one? lol
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 24, 2018 - 11:43pm
It occurs to me Americans have been conditioned to be chronically dissatisfied.

Perhaps that is the reason they're at each other's throats all the time.

It occurs to me Americans have been conditioned to be chronically dissatisfied.

Perhaps that is the reason they're at each other's throats all the time.

Sad but true. Add jealous and resentful, not to mention misinformed, disinformed, misled, disled, and outright USED.
George N Romey Added Nov 25, 2018 - 10:29am
Get rid of all these silly end of year holidays but still allow workers the days off. We could celebrate that we no longer celebrate stupid inane holidays.