Being a President is like being a father

Being a President is a lot like being a father, both are expected to try and do what's best even when it's difficult, unpopular and not appreciated.  Both probably want to be liked but often have to do things that are obviously not appreciated, if they really care about doing a good job.

I think being a father is a lot easier because most of the decisions a father makes don't have a long term downside.  Practically every decision or change that a President makes will hurt some people, and often unjustly which is a heavy burden for them to carry even when they know what they did was or will be a blessing for most of the country in the long run.

If a President tightens up our border to keep out dangerous people and prevent our economy from being further strained by indigent immigrants, they are denying immigrants the opportunity to enjoy a better life in the US.   If they refuse to allow even more deficit spending to help lower taxes they are taking money out of budgets that create government jobs and provide subsidizes to the poor.  If they play nice with other countries business interruptions are minimized but some of those countries cheat us and cost our businesses billions of dollars.

I think every President has had almost everything they do condemned by their opposition, and I'm getting a little sick of hearing it.  Maybe we'd all be better off if we let them try it their way and see if it works.

Comments

Ryan Messano Added Dec 4, 2018 - 11:07am
Yes, and the reason why so many Democrats hate Trump is they aren't used to a Father in the home, no matter what past failings the father had.  It's interesting to note that 75% of black babies are born without a married father in the home, and the black community is the biggest racial group opposing Trump, at 90%.  Women have a great power over men, if they use it wisely.

That's why God made the man over the family and wife, and to be a leader.  He has a view of the good of all.  Women are fiercely territorial when it comes to family.  Also, women are easily dominated by ruthless men, and as such aren't fit to lead for the good of all.  Witness Islam.  When it takes over, it beheads the leading men, and within 2 weeks, the women are happily assimilated as sex slaves.  Women respect money and power.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 4, 2018 - 11:08am

That is exactly what they are afraid of and why they are bitching so loud.
Bill H. Added Dec 4, 2018 - 11:21am

To be a father is to be concerned with the well being of your family.
A Father can not only be concerned about his own well-being, he must put all efforts for what is best for the family.
A father cannot show favoritism to only one family member and turn on the rest.

Ryan Messano Added Dec 4, 2018 - 11:27am
Explain that to your Democrat puppetmasters, Bill.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 4, 2018 - 1:24pm
Actually Riley, as is so often the case with your articles, the title says it all. It is exactly like being  father, or being a parent period. It is a thankless job and the one's usually the best at it are those who never wanted the job
George N Romey Added Dec 4, 2018 - 1:32pm
Riley some of more successful Presidents had traits of dictators.  From Lincoln, TR, FDR, Eisenhower all stretched the power of their office.  The big difference was that they could control the press and the press was willing to along with their narrative.  Most had no hesitation on exposing dirt on their enemies. And they won the hearts of most of Americans.

Trump unfortunately for him while being savvy in many ways just hasn't got the swing of politics.  Its understandable in a way because he seems to hate ordinary politics.
Bill H. Added Dec 4, 2018 - 1:47pm
Trump's ego/self-worship is to me his worst trait.
When I was managing a group of over 50 people during my career, I made it a point to avoid hiring people with excessive egos (who were very easy to spot within a few minutes of the interview process). I found that people with excessive egos could not become team players, drove down the team morale, would rarely listen to (and accept) instructions, would see many tasks as being "beneath" them, and would tend to disrupt and upstage meetings.
Don't confuse excessive ego with self confidence. They are two totally different traits.
Riley Brown Added Dec 4, 2018 - 2:38pm
Burghal, my favorite all time President is Washington, who among other things really didn't want the job but accepted because like many of our founding fathers, thought he had a duty to serve his country.

I do think many men have been motivated to become President so they could attempt to "fix" things they thought were wrong with the country, but others just wanted POWER.

The office of President was never supposed to be an occupation it was an opportunity to serve your country and I think our forefathers were wise to limit that to two terms.
Riley Brown Added Dec 4, 2018 - 2:45pm
Bill H, I think a good father looks at the overall well being of his family, but tries not to make decisions that will unfairly hurt family members except when doing so is necessary to prevent what he believes would be a greater problem.

I also think the office tends to be best run by bold people with an overabundance of confidence, which clearly includes Trump because only those types of people have the almost scary credibility it takes to keep our enemies at bay and convince other people and companies to do what they think is best without having to actually follow though on most of their threats.

I don't want a President who is known as Mr. Nice Guy, their nice but no one takes them seriously.  I remember with Reagan everyone called him a cowboy and was afraid he'd get everyone nuked, but that's what it took to start the disarmament process with Russia.  Carter was nice as can be but everyone knew that and we got walked all over by other countries during his Presidency.
Riley Brown Added Dec 4, 2018 - 2:50pm
George, right now Trump is "the Republican", and I think most Hillary supporters would be condemning every move if the Republicans had won with Mother Teresa.  They condemn EVERYTHING he says and does.

Lots of people see the high turnover in his administration as a sure sign he can't get along with anyone but I see a President who operates his administration like a very successful business, and constantly looks for the best person for each aspect of the job instead of giving people jobs for life.  He is a project oriented President and donesn't care if he needs to put a different person in charge of each project and if they can't do things the way he wants them to, find someone else who can.  That worked for him in business, and it seems to have inspired the stock market and our economy.
@ Riley - " I think our forefathers were wise to limit that to two terms."

Friendly correction there Riley - Presidential term limits weren't imposed until the 22nd Amendment went into effect in 1951, as a direct result of FDR's four terms.

I gotta agree with Bill H. regarding people with excessive egos; they are nothing but bad news and trouble all around.
Dino Manalis Added Dec 4, 2018 - 2:57pm
 Trump is our president and Democrats and Republicans should advise him on doing a better job, because his success is our country's success!
Riley Brown Added Dec 4, 2018 - 3:06pm
Michael, Thanks for the correction, I had no idea that the 2 term limit was so recent.  I still think it's a wise idea.

As far as excessive egos, the duties of the office almost require that personality.  I could be wrong there too.

@ Riley - Can you think of any GREAT Presidents who were real nice guys and never threw their weight around?

None that I can think of, lol.
Cullen Kehoe Added Dec 4, 2018 - 6:27pm
I believe the press does everything possible to make people hate Trump.

If Trump says "it's a beautiful day now that the rain has stopped" the press would report that Trump thinks rain is bad.

Late night comedians appear to do the same. 20 minutes of bashing Trump at how stupid he is.

I used to get BBC World on my cable. About 2 years ago, in the final months of the Obama presidency, he did a tour of the U.K. and did a question and answer with some university students in London. I watched 20 minutes of it on BBC World.

He'd get asked a straight forward question. After a long pause, "Um, ah, I, ah, I mean, I want to, uh...". I'm thinking this guy sounds like an utter moron. Maybe he caught a bad question. Next one, The same. "I, ah....[loooong pause], I mean, um, what I'm getting at is...uh, um, ah [long pause]". Over and over. I had never seen Obama like that. I wondered if the dude had a stroke or something the night before.

Did you see that on Steven Colbert live? Did they play that audio and laugh at him? Probably not (I don't really watch these late night comics, not funny).

Just another example of the press traditionally reporting news and not EVERYTHING it can to make the president look bad, stupid, terrible, etc... like it does now with Trump.
Thomas Sutrina Added Dec 4, 2018 - 6:36pm
Trump wants to be on the top half of the ranking of presidents.   I would never have guessed from what I see on the TV, his tweets, and anything else I know about Trump that he would be a good father.  But I have to come to the conclusion that he is a good father.  The vast majority of the wealth seem to have problem protege and the fact the inheritance are lost after typically three generation say that this is a good assumption.  So when the camera is off he must not be such a jerk.

The first two years he was on a steep learning curve.  He learned that the people working for him are just as likely part of a fifth column and being on his team.  And anyone that was there prior to him taking office is likely part of the fifth column.  Congress serve there own interest no matter which party and they have created a tyranny of the majority of Congressmen to serve their interests, more swamp money in their pocket and let the interest of the citizens be dammed.

Trump was saying he is today Reagan as just part of the sales pitch to get elected.  I think he is moving toward actually following Reagan's approach to govern in a hostile environment.
Jeff Jackson Added Dec 4, 2018 - 7:04pm
Think of history Riley. Teddy Roosevelt sent the "Great White Fleet" on a trip around the world. Congress objected. Teddy said "I have the money to send them halfway, and if Congress wants them to stay on the other side of the world, then so be it" or something to that effect. Teddy was truly a man of the people, and a lot of people (insert here, elites) didn't like him because of it.
Flying Junior Added Dec 4, 2018 - 7:21pm
Just playing the Devil'a Advocate here...  If you indeed are speaking of Father Donald Trump, please explain what he has done to refuse to allow even more deficit spending?  Because I didn't notice.  Did he cut corporate welfare?  It seems to me he had to increase agriculture subsidies to compensate for unintended consequences of the tariffs.  Are you talking about what's around the corner for 2019?  Because I have been warning people of the desire of the republican machine to make drastic cuts to entitlements.  I believe that sequestration can only cut a maximum of 4% to Medicare.  Is that enough for you guys?

Thank the Goddess they are no longer in a position to do that.  Presumably sequestrations will come which also hit military spending.  However, we all know for a fact that the Pentagon will always have a blank check against the full faith and credit of the U.S.A.
Flying Junior Added Dec 4, 2018 - 7:24pm
I would be a little bit circumspect with your love.  A loving Father is generally associated with a God or Deity.  Il Duce, perhaps?  Die F├╝hrer?
opher goodwin Added Dec 4, 2018 - 7:46pm
Riley - Or in the case of certain Presidents more like the demented uncle that everyone tries to keep away from public events because they know he will insult people, be rude to everyone and end up with a fight.
George N Romey Added Dec 4, 2018 - 8:13pm
Well of course the press hates Trump.  He was the Pat Paulsen candidate of 2016.  For those old enough to remember the press got a run of Pat Paulson, the 3rd party candidate in 1968 that was seen as kind of a joke.  However unlike Paulsen Trump got elected and it was the press that looked like total fools.

I was very young at the time but I've been told that Paulsen was actually a very intelligent man.
Mustafa Kemal Added Dec 4, 2018 - 11:31pm
Riley, being a father, of three, I really, REALLY, do not get the father-president thing. Who is the mother?

I cant even remember an executive order that I could give. Why? Because Im one(1) of the parents. Moreover, despite the standard narrative of male privelige, it is I who is the worker.   I certainly cant collect taxes from my citizenry, lol.

Moreover, trying to put this in the context of Trump is even more absurd. Narcissists dont make for good fathers or husbands. This one would not even make for a good home defense fighter. And as for chores around the house, lol.  MAGA sounds good, so does Hope and Change. Buy youve been conned.

Yes, he is trying rebalance the trade inbalances, not through diplomacy, through commands, sanctions and threats. Anyway if he is successful at not getting us into WW3, the surplus will not go into your pocket or mine.

As for
"I think every President has had almost everything they do condemned by their opposition, and I'm getting a little sick of hearing it. "

Are you a leprechaun? have you been around that long?

As for
"Maybe we'd all be better off if we let them try it their way and see if it works."

Hear hear, I have always said as much to my liberal friends' chagrin.

For some strange reason, it has gotten it into many heads that the Democrats are the only greedy corrupt ones. I say, let them destroy Obamacare and see the masterpiece they replace it with. Let them do it their way!

I say let us build walls instead of simply developing a cogent immigration policy and enforcing it.   I say let us make abortion illegal. And I mean really illegal, where if someone gets an abortion they go to jail for a capital crime.  I say kick out all illegal immigrants. In fact, lets kick out a bunch of legal ones too. We did it to a million mexican americans in the 30s.  We can do it again. While we are at it, lets kick out all the muslims. Most I know would love to go home ( of course only if we would stop bombing their homes, small caveat).

But most of all, I say lets keep watching the circus and not pay attention to who is ruling us and where this is headed.  I say ramp up those asset forfeiture laws!  I say make that national debt yuuuuge!
I say, dont worry about citizens united. I way dont worry about 21T$ that the pentagon cant account for, pfffff, its only money.
I say let the money changers, the neocon/liberals,  and the MIC keep on truckin! Its been workin great so far.

America,  come to Papa!
LOL

Mustafa

Thomas Sutrina Added Dec 4, 2018 - 11:45pm
Most of you do not remember the interest rates in the late 70s and early 80s, peak interest rates occurred in 1981 around 15%.  I remember being happy getting a 13% home loan.  They have been falling for the last 31 years.

Well we are at the bottom and every families portion of the national debt is $157,000.  At an interest rate of 2% not a big deal but raise that to 4% of 6% and everyone will be hurting.  The choices left our government is to A) increase taxes, B) decrease spending, and C) increase growth that increases income and decreases spending on welfare.  Interest rates can not decrease so they are going to go up and have started to go up.

Trump, not Obama, has used his pen to undue what Obama's pen did.  He has ended some of Regulations that the unelected bureaucracy have been added.    The level of regulations is still much higher then when Reagan left office in January 20, 1989.  So he has had easy pickings.

You can obviously see that outside of the public eye Trump and his multiple wives have created great adult children.  Trump was the constant person so he surely had a positive effect.  Parents act in the best interest of their children and patriots act in the best interest of their nation.  What is inside a person always comes out in multiple ways.  Trump may seem like an unlikely patriot, acting in the what he believes is the best interest of the nation, I think he is such a patriot.  The willingness to stand up to the negativity is for me a sign of a patriot.

So what will be see in the next two years?  A continuation of the reduction of regulation which will spur growth.  He will follow Reagan's approach with a house controlled by the DIMMS of the President and the House shutting down 20% of the government.  It takes three to agree so all of them will be held responsible.  That he needs to tell the people.  His first test will be the short term December Omnibus bill.  Will he challenge Ryan and Mc Connell.  The election is over Mitch.  This is the last chance to get a wall paid for.

He needs to decrease welfare spending by not opening the doors to more people, lowering the requirements.  And Obama used his pen to end work requirement by saying no jobs existed.  Trump needs to say I am reinstating the work requirement because jobs are returning.   A father never lets his children get away with being lazy and making excuses.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Dec 5, 2018 - 6:17am
Riley Brown - I like you and often like your articles - but - I think you're being a little to nice.  I find myself defending Trump because the hate is just way too much and you just have to push back - but Father - that's a bit of a stretch.  But good article.
Stone-Eater Added Dec 5, 2018 - 9:52am
If grown people need a father figure there's definitively something wrong....
opher goodwin Added Dec 5, 2018 - 10:04am
My father's dead.
Riley Brown Added Dec 5, 2018 - 10:53am
Jeff, I'm not sure where you're coming from but am speculating perhaps you wanted to say Roosevelt was a great President who did not throw his weight around???

Ol Teddy started and led the Rough Riders, he was not a man to be trifled with, that's why he's often quoted "speak softly and carry a big stick".  If you lived around his time you didn't want to cross him and that wasn't because he was a nice guy.
Riley Brown Added Dec 5, 2018 - 11:00am
Thomas, I agree with most of what you said and think Trump has done a very good job trying to lift oppressive regulations off businesses so they can hire more people, the stock market and employment numbers seem to show it worked.

You hold the record with a 13% home loan, min was 11.25% and I felt lucky to get it but paid it off as soon as rates dropped.

I am still not pleased about all our deficit spending and scared about what will happen when interest rates go back up to where they belong because I know what that will do to all  the debt we have financed with short term loans.  It would be easy for interest payments to become more than what we pull in with taxes.

I believe rates are still being subsidized with tax money and that's not right.  They should be a few percent up, the usual formula is 2% over loan rates, so 5% interest would mean 7% loans.
Riley Brown Added Dec 5, 2018 - 11:04am
Peaceful Poet, thank you for the compliment.  I was not suggesting Trump makes a good poster boy for a good father but rather pointing out that like a good father, he has to do very unpopular things that are often not even fair to lots of people, in order to do his job well.

It's easy to be nice, especially when your spending other people's money, but instead of doing that he's made many very unpopular decisions that I think are actually best for the country.
opher goodwin Added Dec 5, 2018 - 2:49pm
Riley - Trump does things to satisfy his ego and fill his pockets - he does not really care. It's a ploy. That is not what a father does.
Riley Brown Added Dec 5, 2018 - 7:03pm
Opher, after being President many contemporary Presidents have moved on to make small fortunes even after being broke when in office.  Often it's just by doing things like high paid speaking engagements.  I really really doubt Trump will make nearly as much doing that as he's loosing by not overseeing his business empire while he's in office.

I do realize that he's always favored doing business in the US and his administrative policies do favor companies that do that, but so do almost all American businesses, so if he's making things better for his businesses, he's also doing exactly the same thing for millions of other businesses that he doesn't own but also employ lots of Americans.

I always think its good when a leader has something to gain by doing a good job and in this case the better Trump's businesses do personally, the better off most of the US is so I call that a win win.

When things are not in alignment, like when policies are made or deals given to foreigners so they can profit by doing things like buying our Uranium, but only if they contribute to the politicians, "favorite" charity, I think that's very wrong.

I don't see Trump selling our the US for his own personal gain.
opher goodwin Added Dec 5, 2018 - 7:12pm
Riley - I do. He uses his hotels for foreign diplomats and has the most extreme nepotism. His business empire is profiting enormously. The tax cuts he brought in made him millions.
Trump's businesses do not profit American people. They profit Trump!
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Dec 6, 2018 - 12:17am
Riley - Trump is making financial sacrifices and as my father explained once - to make gains, you have to make sacrifices.  What other presidents have donated their salary to charity?  The media hardly touches on any good thing Trump does but every little thing they blow out of proportioner.  I don't understand the haters, why they keep hating so much and let the media drive them.
Ward Tipton Added Dec 6, 2018 - 1:36am
The drunk, alcoholic father who only cares about himself perhaps. When did any politician ever care about the people beyond their first term in any public office?
Riley Brown Added Dec 6, 2018 - 10:28am
Opher, if all the diplomats visiting the US only used Trump hotels they would still be a tiny fraction of the people those hotels service and Trump's personal profit would hardly be impacted.

Diplomats try to do things to ingratiate themselves to the people they want to influence and I would not be surprised if they consciously decided to use hotels he owns hoping he'd be impressed but I'd speculate he hardly cares or notices.  There just aren't enough to make a difference.

If Trump owned wineries I'd not be surprised to hear they ordered his wine for their functions, told him how wonderful they thought it was and bought a bunch to take home.  That's what diplomats do, they kiss asses and hope it pays off.

Just a thought are you equally upset by all the foreigners who seem to have bought influence during the Clinton years by making massive donations to the Clinton Foundation?  I think that was a much more egregious and quid pro quo arrangement for many of them and many of those who gave millions did got things done for them that were clearly extremely advantageous to them.  There too can you blame the Clinton s if people who want things from them just happen to make very public million dollar donations to their personal charity?  Evidently not, they aren't in prison.

And about Trumps businesses not doing America any good, they employ 22,000 employees.  I bet they are glad his business is good.
Riley Brown Added Dec 6, 2018 - 10:34am
Peaceful Poet, the first President I remember who donated his salary to charity was John F Kennedy, but Herbert Hoover did too.

When it comes to Trump I think that gesture is about as impactful to him personally as all the business he gets from foreign diplomats who stay at his hotels, (Opher's concern), almost not at all.

Trump is worth billions, and probably loosing millions or more a year by being President and not being in full control of his bushiness empire.  A few hundred thousand dollar salary is really a drop in the bucket to him.
Riley Brown Added Dec 6, 2018 - 10:37am
Ward I think many past Presidents tried very hard to make America better and create a good legacy for themselves for doing so but "Lame Duck" issues got in their way.  Too many of the other people they need to get cooperation from know they are on the way out and start refusing to cooperate with them to they become ineffective.
Ward Tipton Added Dec 6, 2018 - 11:21am
If only all politicians could be so effectively negated ... well I can dream right?
opher goodwin Added Dec 6, 2018 - 2:18pm
Riley - directing State visits and diplomats to his hotels is really crass.
22,000 people is a pinprick.
Flying Junior Added Dec 7, 2018 - 3:02am
Okay, now that we have all agreed that Trump is a nice father, let's focus on the damage so far.  I volunteer that we start with the tariffs on imported steel and aluminum.  The good news for the two or three companies that actually profited from this is that miraculously both prices for raw steel and aluminum have gone up!  Yay!

Well...  Maybe not so good for American manufacturing interests that actually need to buy these essential metals.  Of course there are many different methods of casting, rolling, stamping and extruding these precious industrial metals.  Sadly, many American manufacturers were using sources in Canada, Mexico and China for certain types of steel.  In addition certain manufacturers of fine tools needed very specific types of steel to produce their products.  Most of these companies had already looked at the U.S. market before deciding to use foreign suppliers.

So we have 30,000 U.S. manufacturers of everything from autos and auto parts to aluminum and steel packaging and guitar strings, wire and steel-belted radial tires that have been hurt by the destructive tariffs.  Since April of 2018, these 30,000 American employers have filed applications for the much-hoped-for exemptions from the mismanaged and careless Trump administration.  As of October less than 5,000 so far have received answers.  It's hard to tell from the graph.  But it looks like in September less than four thousand manufacturers had received decisions.

One thing is clear.  They aren't exactly rubber-stamping requests.  These companies have been forced to lay off employees, tighten projected budgets, in most cases they simply have to accept higher costs for materials.  So far we have Harley-Davidson accelerating a planned opening of a plant in Thailand, Chevrolet announcing the closure of two plants  and untold havoc wreaked on the very heart and soul of American manufacturing.

There are no geniuses working for Trump.  It is all as haphazard as a turkey shoot from a blind.

Oh yeah.  This just in.  The new price for seventy-five square feet of Reynolds aluminum foil is $4.99.  5$ for aluminum foil, twenty-five yards by 12".  I just bought some on sale for $4.49.  At least they had enough love to wait until after Thanksgiving.  But right in time for Christmas.

I guess I should consider myself lucky.  I have two aluminum bike frames for my grandsons in storage.  I own a car that is less than five years old.  Good luck affording a new car in 2020.  Prices have already gone up 40% just in the last five years.

Honey Badger don't care.  Thanks Dad.

Like as a Father pitieth his children, the Lord pitieth those that fear him.

Bill H. Added Dec 7, 2018 - 11:10pm
And to put salt in the wound, down goes the stock market!
Biggest drop in 8 years today.
MAGA.....yeah, right!
Riley Brown Added Dec 8, 2018 - 1:48pm
Bill, the stock market has been up and up and up for so long that it's scary because it normally fluctuates and that's what I'd call the dips.

If you had you put your money in a general stock fund at the beginning of the year you'd be doing very very well, even if there are several more dips before the end of the year.