Reagan Time Capsule

I was going through some stuff recently and re-discovered my cartoons and other drawings from my teenage years. As you’ll see, I’m not an artist, but it was fun to draw cartoon strips of the various characters and caricatures in my life at the time. Among the gems I found was this one, which I drew in late 1982:

I’m pretty sure I drew that while I was on detention at school. Anyway, I started to laugh out loud, as I had not realized I was such a leftist in my youth, but how does the saying go? “If you’re not a Liberal when you’re 20, you don’t have a heart, and if you’re not a Conservative when you’re 40, you don’t have a brain”. I’m relieved to know I have both, as that describes me these days with some accuracy.

One of the things that immediately struck me was that you could paste Trump’s head on this admittedly crude and shitty drawing and it would be updated without changing anything else. Because it’s such a shitty drawing, I’ll try to explain its elements if I can remember them:

Reagan is clearly a dictator, judging from his mustache. The slogan is all-too-familiar. His left arm is raised, and has several black armbands which signify the death of various leftist things.

The flags depict an arm, a Right arm, a White Right arm, flexing its muscles.

The stahlhelm-wearing thug on Reagan’s right is spraying copious volumes of water on the flowers of Corruption, while the one on Reagan’s left is machine-gunning Employment of the lower forms of life; notice the quantity of ejected casings. Reagan’s firing of the air traffic controller strikers marked the opening of Open Season on labor unions.

The stars on the flag have obviously been replaced by something more indicative, at least as I saw them. The anvil represents the lowering of interest rates, as if I understood that shit. Damn I've come a long way since then!

Comments

Cullen Kehoe Added Dec 5, 2018 - 2:01pm
I was much younger in the 80's, in primary school. But we all thought Reagan was awesome in school.
@ Cullen - I obviously felt different, lol.
Ryan Messano Added Dec 5, 2018 - 3:00pm
Wow, Michael, the school indoctrination was strong with  you.  It was on me too.  I was indifferent to politics, as my parents and church taught us politics was something we don't get involved in.  However, I wasn't taught the Christian foundation of our nation in school, that's for sure.  Would have had bad effects on Democrat control of my city if all the kids were taught this.  Just look at the liberals on here who were suckered by the media and schools into areligious views, and who blindly wander around WB in a agnostic haze, trying to make sense of facts that hurt their feelings.  LOL.
Jim Stoner Added Dec 5, 2018 - 3:01pm
Give yourself some credit--there is some likeness both to Reagan and Hitler in the facial depiction.
We don't need to debate Reagan's presidency, which was a mixed bag.  Personally, I was surprised he never got us in a major conflict and was able to negotiate some positive things with Gorbachev and the Soviets.
I guess I have no brain, because my political views have not changed much since the 1970's.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Dec 5, 2018 - 3:09pm
As Churchil said, when you are left-wing in your forties, you have no brain, if you are right-wing in your twens, you haven't gone to an American public school.
I mean, Alan Poe said that, eh, Orwell, of course.
@ Ryan - "Wow, Michael, the school indoctrination was strong with you."

Yes it was. I don't remember the majority of my teachers with much fondness, lol.
@ Jim Stoner - Thanks, and yeah, I agree with your surmising of the Reagan years. By the way, you avatar cracks me up every time I see it...good one! LOL
@ BG - Churchill is an eminently-quotable character for sure!
Jim Stoner Added Dec 5, 2018 - 3:52pm
Thanks, Michael B. It combines "lipstick on a pig" (a good philosophy for life, maybe) with "pearls before swine" (no offense to the WB community).
@ Jim Stoner - I got it, which is why it's so hilarious, especially in these parts, lol! Don't change it, ever!
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 5, 2018 - 4:48pm
Those flags look eerily like the logo featured in Idiocracy. OMG! You're prescient!
FreeEarCandy Added Dec 5, 2018 - 9:27pm
Just wondering what you would have drawn to portray "Trickle Down Economics"?
FacePalm Added Dec 6, 2018 - 2:23am
Michael B-
At first, i admit i really liked Reagan; the way he systematically took Carter apart during the debates was awesome, esp. the phrase, "There you go again, Mr. President..."  Watched 'em with a couple of drunk buddies of mine, long before i quit being a slave to that crap.

But despite all his fine words and promises as candidate, he didn't have the guts or power to follow through; for a man to say that "government is the problem" and PROMISE to diminish both the size and the powers it exercised, the numbers of government agents INCREASED during his administration.  So in the end, he was revealed as just another lying politician who'd say anything to get in office, then deliver a grand Fabulous Flying Fickle Finger of Fate to those who elected him.

Of course, he was forced to take the Poppy as veep, which i believe led to the assassination attempt (Hinckley was the son of one of his CIA colleagues; CIA ran mind-control programs for years, and still is).

Trump, OTOH, IS keeping his promises, to the best of his ability; i've heard many rumors about 50k+ sealed indictments, and my sincere hope is that most of them relate to the deep state scum who have been determinedly disobeying Trump's lawful orders, as well as those who have or are now engaging in any kind of human trafficking or pedophilia.  Arrest, try, convict, and fine the hell out of these people, and the wall is fully funded, for example.  AFAIK, most federal indictments are rarely for single individuals, but multiples, too, which may account for many retired military officers being recalled to active duty over the last couple of years, as well as the expansion of Gitmo's facilities.
@ TBH - I only saw that movie once, and only about two-thirds of it. The line I remember is "Your shit's all fucked up, and you keep talking like a fag." lol
@ FreeEarCandy - I did, but you can't see it; it's trickling out of Ron's ass and down his leg, lol.
@ FacePalm - Funny, one time I was talking to a retired Army colonel whose wife worked in the White House in some capacity I can't remember, but according to him, Reagan supposedly told Hinckley Senior something to the effect of "leave that weird-ass son of yours at home, don't bring him here any more."
FacePalm Added Dec 6, 2018 - 3:18am
Michael B-
From what i've read, mind-control only begins to work once the "subject" has been tortured to the point of creating split personalities - so i have a great deal of pity for John Jr., and if his own dad put him through that, extreme hatred for the dad...as well as all the other bastards (bitches, too, no doubt) who have played any part in these heinous and reprehensible practices.
@ FacePalm - I wonder Shooter Hinckley reacted when he found out that Jody Foster was fond of seafood, and didn't cook very well because she preferred to eat out, lol.
FacePalm Added Dec 6, 2018 - 4:56am
i imagine he was crushed by the reality that a) Jodie had no clue who he was and b) she despised him for attempting to murder the president...not to mention the whole "creepy" vibe...

The seafood thing and preferring to eat out would pale in comparison to the first 2, i imagine, though in his former state of mind, anything could have devastated him...and i don't get the seafood ref. anyhow.

But wotta plan!  Have the pre-programmed son of a friend of yours kill the pres. so you can put on a sad face and take over the presidency, similar to what you did for LBJ!  And the perp is stuck in St. E's, being medicated into zombie-hood!  Gas-lighted, too, into believing that any recall of his programming was the result of his insanity...

If i remember aright, Junior's been released, finally, but i have little doubt that should he recall what was done to him and try to inform anyone, he'll soon meet another patsy, Lee Harvey.
@ FacePalm - I was alluding to the fact that Ms. Foster is a lesbian, and apparently always has been...fuck, that rhymed! I could turn it into a haiku:

Jodie eats seafood
She wants no bullets from me
Now I should go fag
FacePalm Added Dec 6, 2018 - 6:47am
MB-
Ok, thanks.  i still remember when the speed limit in front of Billy-Jean King's house was "lickety-split."
Stone-Eater Added Dec 6, 2018 - 7:06am
Hey, nice cartoon Michael ! Wish I could draw...
@ Stone - Thanks! That was around the time I started listening to the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and, of course...The Mentors!

Wish I could draw...

But you can play guitar, so you're an artiste one way or the other, lol. I've also complimented you on your poetry in English, so don't be so hard on yourself, mein Herr!
Rusty Smith Added Dec 6, 2018 - 11:21am
I remember Reagan well and think he was the best President during my lifetime.

He made me feel proud of America when he was in office, and other countries respected America because he was strong.

He was great at representing his own opinions, and convincing most of America he was on the right path.
opher goodwin Added Dec 6, 2018 - 1:02pm
Michael - I like that!
Yes - it was the right-wing that wrote that quote. They were wrong though. The Left has all the best brains and they aren't under 40.
Michael Dolan Added Dec 6, 2018 - 2:04pm
T
Leroy Added Dec 6, 2018 - 6:03pm
Thanks for sharing!

Yep.  Change faces and you would be right there with the fanatical left today.  I'm not too proud of my youth for voting for Carter, formerly the worst president of my lifetime.
Flying Junior Added Dec 7, 2018 - 1:58am
I think you got the hairline down well.  It looks like a rough sketch of Butthead.

We used to call Reagan the Fascist Gun in the West.  The truth is, however, he was an able Governor.  Being part of the University of California, we didn't personally appreciate cuts to the budget.  But it was a simple and fair-minded idea.  Any system that was bloated could probably afford to cut the fat by 10%.  Maybe that's why tuition stayed so affordable so many years after the end of his term.  He also signed a landmark law that required auto shops to provide a written estimate and save any bad parts for inspection by the consumer.  Now that the Aryan Nation-John Birch Society-Jerry Falwell-Newt Gingrich-Rush Limbaugh faction has distorted this once proud and noble American political party, it is easy to see Reagan as a great American.  He held these destructive forces in check and paved the way for a successful GHWB presidency.

He also did pretty well with Brezhnev and Gorbachev, particularly his one-on-one in the ring with Brezhnev was quite manly.

Reagan was a good guy.  In his native Ohio, he made his young way in life as a radio sportscaster.  The legend is that one time his audio feed from some guy actually attending the game broke off and he kept on broadcasting an entirely fictional second half of the game making up plays, hits and outcomes, scores and all from his own fertile imagination.

In 1937, he packed up his worldly belongings in a Chevy coupe and headed for California.  God bless you, Mr. Reagan.
@ Rusty - Yeah, as you saw, I was pretty hostile toward Ronbo, Ronnie Ray-Gun, etc, but my attitude toward him, not surprisingly, changed significantly when I was in the Army. The military as an institution absolutely adored him for obvious reasons, but the Iran-Contra scandal stained him pretty bad in my view.

Every former citizen of the USSR that I've talked to said that Reagan had nothing to do with the collapse of European Communism; they actually took offense, saying it collapsed under the weight of its own banality and corruption, although some admit he hastened it somewhat.
@ Opher - I'm not sure how to respond to that, lol.
@ Leroy - I disagree. Considering the times, the whole fucking Vietnam-Watergate-Everything-That-Sucked-in-the-60's hangover in the 70's, I think that anybody would have had a tough time. This is the Leftie coming out in me; President Carter did what he thought was the right thing, in attempting to show the world that we aren't a bunch of warmongers, robbers, and murderers.

@ FJ - I'm mildly shocked at the testimonial, lol.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 7, 2018 - 5:46pm
Reagan was actually a native of Dixon, IL

YO DOG......tried to find your awards thread and missed it. A new category and nomination : Best screen name and avatar for an FNG

The winner entered today: Weed Lord Boner Hitler

There is something in there to offend everyone. Almost :)
@ TBH - No, it's still there, you're just a lazy-ass motherfucker, lol.

Weed Lord Boner Hitler. Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one too. I'm thinking of renaming myself Pharoah-God-King Che Gordo Grosso Tuco Benedicto Caudillo.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 8, 2018 - 4:13am
Hmm.....on the right track there Michael.....the Tuco Benedicto part no doubt a tribute to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Or are you a BAD fan? You need to work in something Teutonic.....perhaps add a Thor somewhere?
@ TBH - Knowledge of that movie is a litmus test for coolness as far as I'm concerned; as if your creds needed any further burnishing, lol. OK, how about this one: Pharoah-God-King Che Gordo Grosso Tuco Benedicto Caudillo Himmler Heydrich Mengele Josef Mao Pot Hussein Pelosi? On second thought, I better drop the Hussein; I shouldn't appear to be too pretentious, huh?
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 8, 2018 - 8:10am
There you have it!
Fucking dickhead! LOOL
Autumn Cote Added Dec 8, 2018 - 9:37am
According to the rules of this site, it's within my power to ban any user over foul language and I've officially had enough of your foul language.  So this is your official warning to clean it up.
@ AC - I gotta ask who I offended this time on "The Wild West of the Internet".
Autumn Cote Added Dec 8, 2018 - 10:22am
Hi JC! You're an ass-fucked fag, lol.
FAG FAG FAG

It was the comment above that put me over the edge.  I have no problem with foul language.  However, I do have a problem with foul language if it’s only intent is to call someone names or to be nasty, which is all that comment does.  It’s especially bothersome to me when you do it to someone new to the site.
@ AC - It's funny how I always manage to be held to a higher standard than others around me who do much, much worse over much, much, more extended periods of time, lol.
Autumn Cote Added Dec 8, 2018 - 11:03am
Kindly show me one other participant who’s language is worse than yours.  If you can, you’d be right.  If you can’t, you’re totally wrong in saying you’re being held to a higher standard.
Stone-Eater Added Dec 8, 2018 - 11:07am
Autumn

Sometimes a hidden and vicious comment can be much worse than a blunt "fuck you". For example when someone calls everybody who doesn't have the same opinion as "leftists" or "commies". That's putting a person into a drawer without knowing them. A "fuck off, asshole" does not. It leaves room for a later discussion. It might be a shot to the head but can make people think IMHO.

You remember the fights Michael B. and I had here ? Because I was as stubborn as he is. But at one stage both of us thought independently: That leads to nowhere. Sometimes we all have to rethink and refigure our POV. And find - common ground on other points and let others live. And maybe one day get pissed together in a pub LOL

Maybe Ryan and others arrive at that point too.
Autumn Cote Added Dec 8, 2018 - 11:27am
Stone,
I obviously don’t read everything written here and outside of Michael B., nothing has risen to what I think should be moderated by me.  So if you think I should target anyone else on account of particularly vicious comments, kindly share one of these comments with me.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 8, 2018 - 4:08pm
There, you hear that Michael B ?  You are a problem child! Probably not the first time you've heard it....

Normal people don't act that way! You're on drugs! :)
Yeah, I guess so. In order to prevent censure, I should get much more religious, with cleaner language and purer thoughts.
Mustafa Kemal Added Dec 12, 2018 - 10:26pm
Women, actually I do think you are prescient, and a good artist.

Not bad for the grand pubah of assholes!

Mustafa
@ Mustafa - Thank you sir...whether they're praising or damning me, I always appreciate both comments and compliments from someone of your caliber.