My Dog's Thoughts on Pink Floyd

Not long ago I was introduced to a meditation channel.  It is not the sort of thing I would seek out on my own, but I actually sat and listened to it for a few minutes.  Within a very short time it had formed a reminiscence of the Pink Floyd song from their famed LP Ummagumma, Grantchester Meadows.  I then forced myself to sit and listen to some more of this channel.  I came to a conclusion.  Someone identified the need to create one of these channels (actually there are several) and there are people checking in. This can not be a bad thing if it leads to more people finding their chill and not being such colossal dicks all the time. Or...they could just listen to some Floyd!

There are certain standout pieces from the band's portfolio which appear with regularity in my various playlists. Dark Side of the Moon in it's entirety, of course, and select tracks from their other LPs. As I was caused to make a review of these I made a discovery that rather surprised me. There were no tracks from the Animals LP on any of the lists. Naturally my reaction was to cue it up and give it a listen.

The first time I ever heard anything from the album was quite probably some time in February of 1977. We were in the midst of what was up to that time the coldest winter of the twentieth century. In my bedroom above the garage I huddled about the heat register in the floor, a blanket wrapped around to contain the warm air. It was probably in this fashion that I sat huddled in the dark, next to a small radio and listened to a WCOL-FM DJ introduce Pigs (three different ones). Upon revisiting the full LP I am still of the opinion that this is indeed the most striking track of the album, both lyrically and musically.

Though it is hardly February and nowhere near to record-breaking cold temperatures, the change of season has brought with it no shortage of grey, miserably damp, chill days upon which to spend contemplating these weighty matters.  I happened to have at hand an intriguing new strain from my botanist, the Montana Flowering Dogweed, which I employed to good use for the occasion. Both were consumed in the dark, save for the light of the fire. Pink Floyd has always served as a fine soundtrack for any blaze.

For those who are unfamiliar, and those who may have simply forgotten, Pigs (three different ones) was on side two of the original vinyl. The lead off of the LP is the plaintive Pigs on the Wing, followed then by the stark and brooding piece Dogs. Perhaps it is somehow connected to that cold place where I first listened to this work, but I found that the song Dogs takes me to a very cold, dark and distant place.

Beginning at the 6:14 mark of side one there is a segment of about 45 seconds where there are the barks and howls of various hounds. Where I sat enjoying this my dog, Matthau, was at my feet and I noted his ears prick up slightly at this point. In the idle chatter one often engages with their pets I asked " Well, old boy! Know what they're saying, do you?" He gave me one of those looks, as dogs sometimes will, which seemed to question my sanity. He raised his massive head to snuff once at the smoke billowing from the glass bong and then rose from the floor to pad across the room and take a seat in the chair opposite. I wasn't expecting an answer and his behavior, though somewhat odd, was not entirely out of the ordinary. Then he began to speak.

" The dogs, yes... they do go on there a bit, don't they? Rather funny, that...."

He was sounding a bit like Alec Guinness. "Matthau? I didn't know you could talk!"

"Of course I can speak, you pillock! I'm an English Mastiff, not some Neapolitan dullard!"

"No offense, Matthau! I just wonder why you waited until now!"

"It's the Dogweed, old bean. Otherwise you're too thick to hear it."

"Is that it?"

"You have a better explanation?"

"I do not."

"Well, there it is then."

" I suppose you're right, old boy. We'll have to ask Carlton to get us some more of this soon. So what are those dogs saying anyway?"

"Oh they're banging on about what worthless sods their agents were. Couldn't even negotiate a reasonable royalties contract, could they?"

"Really? You're having me on!"

"Am I? Perhaps you'd like corroboration from another hound?"

His point was well taken and I surely had no reason to doubt him. I have since learned of rumor that Roger Waters has advocated on behalf of the estates of these long departed canines. Mr. Waters has declined any comment upon the matter.

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:18pm
TBH

I always think of a dog when I hear this:

Pink Floyd - The great gig in the sky

It reminds me of that. I knew a neighbor's dog who started to howl when he heard that particular song LOL

BTW: I never liked Floyd in a sober condition. Die waren mir echt zu langweilig. Schlaf ein, Kindchen, schlaf ein ;-)
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:24pm
Na Jurg, dies war fur psykotropischen droggen genommen :)
Jim Stoner Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:27pm
I saw Floyd once, on the Animals tour.  The onliest thing I remember from it was a giant inflated pig that floated around the arena.  Must've been that dogweed...
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:33pm
I saw same tour, the infamous collapse of the foul ball netting at the old Memorial Stadium in Cleveland. One clever dick decided to climb out on the netting to snare one of the lower hanging balloons. Once he made it out there were a flood of others who looked on and thought "Hey look! it's holding that guy up, let's go". After about 50 or 60 of these fools got out there the netting, part of the framing...it all came down. No serious injuries and an ample supply of pain killers were readily available so the show went on
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:36pm
Yep.

"Warg, Torg, are you there ?"
"Yes, Stone."
"Do I see you and you see me ?"
"Yes"
"It's been a long time. Where have you been ?"
"YOU were lost. You were NOT in the greenhouse."
"No, but I'm now."
"As we can see. When are you leaving ?"
"When time ends money."
"Then you can wait for long. But if you stay in the greenhouse, it will be easier."
"Why ?"
"Because the great gig in the sky that you're listening to now will keep our bonds as long as you stay in the greenhouse and keep playing that gig.
"Ok."
"But remember, take another lighter with you, just in case."
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:45pm
das gefaellt mir :)
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 1:53pm
Dacht ich's mir doch LOL.

I actually wrote it for Ryan. It's a while he didn't accuse someone to use illegal stimulants LOL
FacePalm Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:14pm
The "Animals" tour was the only time i ever saw PF live.

Don't remember much from it; too busy getting stoned and drunk, as best i recall.  i think i saw it in SF, but i don't really have much of a memory, just a vague recollection of giant balloon animals floating overhead.

Many years later, i found a CD of that album someone had tossed, and i really like it, though i haven't bothered to learn any songs from it(yet).  It has a scratch in it that causes it to skip, unless i play it on a very high quality CD player, but maybe i can find an online source and dl it, haven't looked.

PF was being discussed on another thread, recently - Free Ear Candy's, as best i recall - and i mentioned to Mustafa that the only song worth listening to on "Umma Gumma" was Grantchester Meadows, so glad you remember it, as well.  He favored the one about the furry animals grooving in a cave with a Pict, but to me, that was just some experimentation, maybe fun to listen to once - but no beat, nothing to dance to.

The first time i ever listened to Dark Side, i remember sitting in a chair, slightly stoned, wearing headphones, just about to fall asleep - when all the clocks ticking on "Time" sounded their alarms, at which point i slightly freaked and yanked off the headphones...

Anyhow, an interesting story, TBH, a welcome respite from the political battles and endless posts on global warming and gun ownership.  Maybe the gun owners should shoot the carbon tax promoters, and kill two birds with one stone...
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:21pm
I try to lend a bit of levity now and then :) Actually Matthau should have credit here as co-author
Adolf Dick McMenace Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:35pm
Pink Floyd is another of those bands that I neither like nor hate. I like how Johnny Rotten auditioned for the Sex Pistols while wearing a Pink Floyd shirt that he scribbled "I HATE" over, lol.
Mustafa Kemal Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:36pm
Burghal Hidage, what a fantastic read.

When I got my first job in New Mexico, I lived with a family in a small town and at 9pm on saturday nights the sidewalks roll up so the other tenant and I would go out to my newly purchased 68 chevelle, light up and listen to Pink Floyd. Animals was one of our favorites, Obscured by Clounds and Wish You Were Here were also well played cassettes. At that time, we only spoke with humans, or I think my buddy was a human. He complained that he was trying to come to grips with the fact that he would get only a finite number of blowjobs in his life. I tried to console him by saying that there is big difference between a large finite number and a small finite number, but he was not having it. He was a geologist and I felt his math skills somewhat limited.

Anyway, it wasnt until 30 years later when I developed a rather personal relationship with a cat named qashang. Sometimes we would have similar converstions to yours, although he liked Turkish music, but I always felt a little outwitted. Nevertheless that did not discourage me and our relationship continued to evolve until my wife ran him over with the car.   Broke my heart, truly. Havent found my match since then. Mustafa talking to qashang

Mustafa
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:53pm
TBH

Another thought crossed my mind: Pink Floyd. PINK. Is that a hint to the sexual orientation of the band ? Are they like a forerunner of the pink gay movement ? And if that is so: Shouldn't their records be taken off the stores ? After all, when hearing "The great gig" - the singer seems to be in pain at some stages singing that song - might she have been abused by some male homosexual members of the band because she is a woman who is not lesbian ?

So many questions !!!

Can you ask Ryan for clarification ?

LOL
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:58pm
BTW:

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

I like that one. I wonder how much they copied from Philip Glass. Liste closely !
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 2:59pm
Ah Stone! Don't get that started, please. I have been doing my level best at every turn to insure that I am so repugnant to his puritan sensibilities that he would just stay away. Now you've gone and as good as invited him in!
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:02pm
As far as PF and sexuality, however.....

Wonder how many children have been conceived while Dark Side of the Moon was playing since the albums release?  I'm betting nearly as many as pregnancies aborted during the same time period
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:02pm
Philip Glass - Kooyanisqatsi 3/9

...for comparison.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:10pm
Sure I know Philip Glass. You would also perhaps enjoy Harold Budd and Ulrich Schnauss
FacePalm Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:14pm
Stone-
i went and read a wiki on PF yesterday, and it said that at the time, they were called the Tea Set, and another band was coming to play at their venue with the same name, so Sid Barrett ran home to his record collection, and combined the name "Pink Anderson" and "Floyd Council," two American blues musicians....so, no homosexual connotation with which to needle your favorite insane christian...
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:34pm
TBH

Thanks - hör ich mir an !
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:39pm
Face

I know the Tea Set ! That was 1970.

The Tea Set - Ma belle amie

That was no. 1 in Switzerland, I was about 10 or so :-) At that time I was into the Beatles. Black Sabbath just lurked around the corber LOL
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:41pm
Correction: 1969 as I just googled. Man, I haven't heard that ugly song for almost 50 years !
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:46pm
TBH

I checked the two......but they're....not enough weird ;-) It's more like some esoteric feelgood electronic sound. Glass had emotions, strange ones. These choruses he set up had some kind of mad magic. I love that.
Stone-Eater Added Dec 18, 2018 - 3:49pm
BTW:

Devil Doll

This is the Hitchcock of Rock. Try to listen to their whole discography. It takes time - but it's, although a bit old - very original.
TexasLynn Added Dec 18, 2018 - 4:00pm
Really enjoyed this.  I can't count the number of times I've listened to Pink Floyd on a cold lazy night.  I now suspect the experience is once again in the near future.  Love that Gilmour guitar. :)

A good friend introduced me to the band back in High School in the early 80s.  Knowing my friend, I suspect it was something from "The Wall".  Anyway, I was hooked.  My favorite album is undoubtedly "Wish You Were Here" with "Animals" or "Dark Side of the Moon" fighting for second.

I do have this memory of watching WKRP in Cincinnati in which Johnny Fever was playing "Dogs" from "Animals" and the manager pausing and asking, "Are those dogs?".  I think I remember the studio being dark and Johnny being really mellow in that scene.  That was before I knew of Pink Floyd and thought dogs barking in a song was stupid.  The memory was fresh enough in my mind when I later found myself listening to and really appreciating that very song.  See... we hicks can come around. :)
opher goodwin Added Dec 18, 2018 - 4:06pm
Hi Burger - I used to go and see them live quite often live around London. They did a lot of free concerts.
I think of the Floyd as having four phases - psychedelic Barrett, psychedelic post-Barrett, Dark Side - Animals and then post Waters.
I wish you were here is my favourite album - not just because it's got my mate Roy on Have a Cigar - I love the sound.
I met Gilmour and he was really a friendly guy.
Jeff Michka Added Dec 18, 2018 - 8:34pm
Dark Side was a remarkable recording and exceptionally well mastered in the A disc master room at Capitol Records in LA.  Dark side has complete 20-20K response and is perfect for trying loudspeakers.  Still is.
Mustafa Kemal Added Dec 18, 2018 - 9:46pm
For 4th of July in 1973 fireworks were shot over the Neckar River the year i graduated from Heidelberg American High School.

We went to enjoy the show down by the river and there was a group of GIs with a very loud stereo set playing The Dark Side of the Moon.

Far Out is what is was, far out!

Mustafa
Flying Junior Added Dec 19, 2018 - 2:31am
From the early albums...

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

(Featuring prepared piano!)

Even former mayor of San Diego, Jerry Sanders, was into Dark side of the Moon.  It's one of the prettiest albums ever recorded.

Steel Breeze Added Dec 19, 2018 - 9:32am
yup,its all Floyd with me......i favor Shine on You Crazy Diamond.....me an my mutts listen pretty much every nite....
Even A Broken Clock Added Dec 19, 2018 - 10:10am
FJ - when the space probe was launched that is going to study the sun almost within the corona, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun  instantly came to mind, unbidden, racing across the years.

One PF album that I think is underrated is Echoes. That goes back to when you would have an entire album side devoted to a single track. Kind of like Relayer by Yes.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 19, 2018 - 10:31am
Meddle..... The one with reflection of the rain puddle on the cover. The song echoes is the entirety of side 2 if memory serves. Whale sounds and all! A favorite at halloween. I am also fond of wish you were here, the song and the album. Gilmours guitar is sublime
TexasLynn Added Dec 19, 2018 - 11:26am
If you don't remember this or haven't seen it before... this scene is classic.

WKRP - Plays Pink Floyd - Dogs
Dave Volek Added Dec 19, 2018 - 11:32am
It's been many years. Maybe I should listen to pink floyd with a straight mind!
Stone-Eater Added Dec 19, 2018 - 11:42am
EABC

Gates Of Delirium comparing to Echoes is like comparing a Filet Mignon to a Frankfurter LOL
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 19, 2018 - 12:05pm
Both songs similar duration
Spartacus Added Dec 19, 2018 - 12:21pm
I must confess, I have never listened to Pink Floyd -- until now.
Perhaps there is a mix of reasons why . . . age + religious upbringing.

Awesome music.  Thanks for sharing.

Lately, I have been listening to music from the 1970's which is perhaps the greatest music decade ever.
Moody Blues is now also a favorite of mine.  I had a girlfriend in the 1990's who loved to put on Moody Blues while making love.  I always thought that was strange but I understand her tastes better now.
Dino Manalis Added Dec 19, 2018 - 12:24pm
 Your dog reasons, how wonderful!
opher goodwin Added Dec 19, 2018 - 12:35pm
Burger - when those first two albums came out with those psychedelic masterpieces like Astronomy Domine and Saucerful of Secrets it was amazing. There hadn't been anything quite like it.
opher goodwin Added Dec 19, 2018 - 12:37pm
I think 1967 was the best year for music - some spectacular albums - Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Byrds, Mothers, Doors, Buffalo Springfield, Love, Fleetwood Mac...………………...
FacePalm Added Dec 19, 2018 - 12:37pm
William-
Yep, my favorite 70's band is the Moodies, too.  Curiously, though, most women i knew hated 'em.
i particularly liked how they'd often introduce a song with some narration, like:

"Blasting, bursting, billowing forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes, Man, with his flaming fire, has conquered the wayward breezes," etc.

i can play several of their tunes - Nights in White Satin, The Story in Your Eyes, The Actor - but one of my favorites, "Are You Sitting Comfortably?," i can't find anyone on youtube that shows the chord progression which makes the song properly, yet, and i can't seem to figure it out on my own, either.

i also do several PF songs, as well, probably the oldest being "Grantchester Meadows," but close in time to that one is "Fearless," off the Meddle album.
The one i'm working on now - though i'm having a little trouble singing over the "Who's gonna show this stranger around" mini-lead part - is "Young Lust," off The Wall.  i worked on "Goodbye, Blue Sky" for awhile, as well, but kinda gave up, as it really requires 2 guitars (at least) to do it well.  i can also do "Breathe" and "Wish You Were Here," the latter on the 12-string, which sounds pretty awesome...even though it, too, should have a second guitar and harmony vocals to sound right.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 19, 2018 - 1:58pm

Fearless is an acoustic masterpiece..... Whos the fool who wears the crown?
FacePalm Added Dec 19, 2018 - 2:06pm
"No doubt -  in your own way - and every day is the right day
And as you rise above - the fear lines in his brow - you look down
Hearing the sounds of the faces in the crowd..."

I figured out a way to play it in standard, but it sounds best if you're accompanied by someone who can do a parallel in open G.

I have a hard time finishing the song, what with the English football hooligan stadium chant, and all; can't seem to find those notes on my guitar...
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 19, 2018 - 2:14pm
Football hooligans should be easy. Try looking in Salford, Lancs.....a bumper crop last I heard :)
FacePalm Added Dec 19, 2018 - 2:33pm
Yeah, but they're hard to pack into my guitar case...
Spartacus Added Dec 19, 2018 - 2:47pm

Yes, FP.  I roll out my bass and try to follow the bass lines.  It is very, very relaxing for me.
FacePalm Added Dec 19, 2018 - 3:55pm
Cool!
i have 3 favorite bass songs:
Pinball Wizard(the Who)
Ramble On(Led Zep)
Closer to Home(aka "I'm Your Captain," by Grand Funk Railroad)

When i first learned the Who tune well enough to perform it live, i went up to 3 guys i knew who could play bass, asking them to accompany me (sounds empty w/o that powerful bass line), and they all gave me variations on "Entwhistle?  He's a GENIUS!  I can't cover HIM!"

Anyway, i eventually found a guy who played it perfectly, and it came off great.

There's a band in my area which calls itself the "Hairy Karaoke Band," and they put out a songlist of around 300 songs audience members can pick from, then they're welcome to sign up and sing along with the band on that song; occasionally, there's a guy like me who'll show up and play with 'em, too.  The bass player was PERFECT on that song, and it sounded AWESOME with a full band...well, at least to me, anyhow.
Doug Plumb Added Dec 19, 2018 - 6:12pm
I may be the only one, but has anyone else howled at the moon with dogs? I'm not a dog owner but it is a good way to make friends with them. Other people laugh when I do this.
FacePalm Added Dec 19, 2018 - 6:30pm
Doug-
Other people laugh when I do this.

And they should.  What are you, like 8?
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 19, 2018 - 7:59pm
I know Doug and don't think that concerns him much :)

Other bassists among us? I shouldn't be surprised.....

Steve Hanley's bass with the Fall is phenomenal. Any of it. Hanley plays bass like a lead, even his chop. It's a joy to watch. My favorite bass line....don't know. So many I like. The Beatles I Want You/She's so Heavy, that's a great bass line. Yes's Chris Squire on The Fish. Don't know his name off hand but the bassist for the band Garbage impresses me. Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads and Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth. So many good ones...
Flying Junior Added Dec 19, 2018 - 10:45pm
So my hippie wife was always telling me about Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.

I finally gave it a bit of a listen.  Perhaps your dog, Matthau would enjoy it.

Most intelligent dogs enjoy music to some extent.  But I had one dog whose life spanned my greatest intellectual achievements.  He was a gash and faithful tyke...  You guessed it, a genetic throwback to the Scottish Collies of yore.

Back when I was in my prime, I practiced hours at a time on my little antique artist grand.  Beethoven and Gershwin.  I had audiences.  Duffy always laid at my feet.  Like children, the true music dogs have an incredible ear for music.  The only time that I ever saw him surprised by musical tones was once at my old church.  My synthesizer was hooked up to come out of the big P.A. speakers suspended so high above us from the rafters.  I selected a fairly nice string patch.  I played a little cadence.  Kinda loud.  For one shining moment that dog was experiencing wonder.

Mustafa Kemal Added Dec 19, 2018 - 10:49pm
Flying Junior,
"So my hippie wife was always telling me about Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict."

Your hippie wife and I have alot in common.

Mustafa
Flying Junior Added Dec 19, 2018 - 11:34pm
Far out

Ken Added Dec 20, 2018 - 12:36am
roger waters vision of "the wall" that he toured a couple of years ago (I could have gone to see in a box seat but didn't, I am sad now that I didn't take advantage of the opportunity), is now playing on cable.  It is quite well done, making me wish I had gone even more now
Ward Tipton Added Dec 20, 2018 - 7:47am
I have to take issue with you here TBH

"This can not be a bad thing if it leads to more people finding their chill and not being such colossal dicks all the time. Or...they could just listen to some Floyd!"

First, my phallus is my friend, not a derogatory commentary about crass people ... but that is perhaps a personal thing ... well ... ever since I got out of the movie business anyhow ...

Floyd? I just add the whole discography and hit shuffle ... some good bourbon or hooch ... good to go.

As for bass players ... am I the only one willing to throw out Primus into this mix? Certainly not anywhere near Floyd and a whole different genre ... but he could make it sing and dance.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 20, 2018 - 7:54am
As a devout follower of South Park I have a profound appreciation for Primus. Ah yes....Ramonas angry beaver! Good times
FacePalm Added Dec 20, 2018 - 7:17pm
Is Primus the band - especially on Ramona's Angry Beaver - that dresses up in plastic cowboy costumes and masks, including hair?  If so, do they always dress like that, or just for that song?
Doug Plumb Added Dec 20, 2018 - 8:41pm
re "I know Doug and don't think that concerns him much :)  "

That's true, but the dogs really get into it when they see a human doing it.
Ward Tipton Added Dec 20, 2018 - 11:42pm
I believe it was only the one song. They were not exactly a one-hit wonder, but may have been close. Still, the way he thumped that bass was impressive ... to me at least ... unique and notable.
Stone-Eater Added Dec 21, 2018 - 5:34am
Ward

Primus ? Ah I see, a "connaisseur" of Progressive Rock/Metal :-)
Ward Tipton Added Dec 21, 2018 - 5:53am
I was a great fan of the alternative movement of the nineties.
Leroy Added Dec 21, 2018 - 8:03am
Perhaps Matthau can play the guitar for us on his next trip.  "Hound Dog" comes to mind.  If he can just the gyrations right...
Ward Tipton Added Dec 21, 2018 - 8:40am
My little male mutt does pretty well with the gyrations when he is feeling wanton and there is no female companionship around. I do not know whether to laugh or to cry, but my wife just wants to castrate him which I truly find to be cruel and unusual punishment, even for old dogs like us ... but for such a young pup? Ach.
Doug Plumb Added Dec 21, 2018 - 5:06pm
  BH, since you know me and I don't know who you are, I would like to qualify my above statement when I say that I don't care what other people think. I do care if people think I am a thief or murderer or something - unless they heard rumours and choose to believe them.  I have absolutely no respect for people who listen to gossip that are my age, I have no interest in hearing from them unless they wish to ask me about what they heard.
  If people object to my politics, I can live with that. I have lost many friends over questioning the master race, certainly more friends that I would have lost if I peed on a crucifix or pooped in the isles of a Catholic church. Questioning the master race is now sacreligious among the idiot class. They were never really friends in the first place. Like real food and the entertainment without hidden propaganda, real friends are rare, much more rare than I thought.
  I do care what people think in social settings and I conduct myself in a conservative manner, but unafraid to speak truth when someone pipe up with nonsense. You say the moon landings were real to me and you will be corrected on that. Twenty years ago I was an extreme liberal, and an idiot.
  I have howled with dogs at the moon and I play with little kids whom I am friends with their parents because I think little kids are fun and sometimes maybe I look like one when I do it and I don't care.
  I am a man and I have put away childish things and childish ideas. Many people my age haven't, I'm not interested in their company.
Mustafa Kemal Added Dec 22, 2018 - 12:00am
"I may be the only one, but has anyone else howled at the moon with dogs?"

I have. Where I live in Norrthern New Mexico dogs are not fenced -they run loose. And on full moon nights, especially if they hear coyotes they will begin to howl. Some of us humans would often drive around  on the dirt roads in our little valley, in our cars without headlights on. It was a magical time.

I had a black lab named espresso and when this howling began he would get into it and I could never get him to stop, so one night I just went outside and joined him.

Espresso had this thing for fireworks. Every fourth of july when we would light fireworks in the yard he would run up to the fountains and repeatedly snap his jaws into them with the sparks flying into his mouth. When not doing that he howled. There was nothing you could do to stop him. He was a hoot.

"Twenty years ago I was an extreme liberal, and an idiot."

Did you howl with dogs while an idiot or afterwards?

Aha! a recovering liberalidioticus.  Those are some of the worst.

Mustafa
Doug Plumb Added Dec 22, 2018 - 12:05am
re "Did you howl with dogs while an idiot or afterwards?"

Actually during, but I would do it again. I'm not a huge fan of dogs but I make friends with the creatures around me, human or not. I like other peoples dogs. I also think its cruel to keep a dog. If I was a dogs pet, I would be screaming during our walks whenever I saw another human.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 22, 2018 - 5:23am
I have one dog, a solid companion, but there are other dogs about and I will spend time with any. I have to confess that I have little fondness for the the little yip-yap breeds - I call them drop-kicks. To me that form of breeding is an abomination. If you want something that fits in your purse get a fucking cat! I like the honesty of dogs. No nuance to read, no subterfuge or obfuscation. I talk with them, will bark or howl with them. Many dogs dont know how to react to this initially, but rarely have I encountered a dog who would object to joining their chorus. The only point upon which Matthau and I find serious disagreement is in travel. He rides well and enjoys it, however I like to play music on the ride. Depending upon the selection he may object to the volume. Some people like to listen to things like the Who with the volume loud. I like to listen to them VERY loud, which is uncomfortable for his sensitive ears.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 22, 2018 - 5:25am
Doug-  Perhaps I assume more familiarity than I should and would revise the comment to:  I get Doug and don't think he'd be too worried about that.  Turns out I was right, though :)

Never profits a man to suffer fools gladly; least of all the fool :)
Ward Tipton Added Dec 22, 2018 - 6:04am
"I call them drop-kicks."

We call them punters ... or ankle biters ... but one thing is for sure, they will wake you up if someone comes within thinking distance of your home.
Doug Plumb Added Dec 22, 2018 - 6:50am
BH you were not right. I would not like it if people thought of me as a thief or something, but if they got the idea from gossip... Life is not a teenage popularity contest for me.
Adolf Dick McMenace Added Dec 22, 2018 - 6:55am
I just recalled an incident when I was 15 or 16, watching two proto-Beavis-and-Butthead-Metalheads beat each other to a bloody pulp over who was the better guitarist, Blackmore or Gilmour. A retro poem:

Blackmore or Gilmour?
I'll beat you black-and-blue!
What's it all for?
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 22, 2018 - 8:34am
Right or wrong, good or ill, I judge you to be a man of clear conscience, Doug. Anybody who can bark with the hounds is ok with me.
Doug Plumb Added Dec 22, 2018 - 11:15am
Why do you think I am wrong? You implied that I am a fool, why?
Ryan Messano Added Dec 22, 2018 - 11:20am

Kind of sad when WB knows more about a worthless Pink Floyd than the Document this nation was founded upon, the Bible.  I've never listened to Pink Floyd, and have no intentions of doing so.  BTW, the Bible has a talking ass, TBH, and we have one on here too, his name is Flying Jackass.

That said, I was a huge fan of Hugh Lofting's Dr. Doolittle.  Quite an enchanting tale that every child should read.   I suppose he was the father of PETA.
Doug Plumb Added Dec 22, 2018 - 11:20am
Remember that Alice Cooper song "No More Mr. Nice Guy?". I feel like I should be that sometimes.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 22, 2018 - 11:42am
Did not mean to imply either Doug. Im merely saying that youre at peace with your own mind. I dont agree with all of your conclusions but I appreciate your logic. We are perhaps both guilty of overthinking things at times
Ryan Messano Added Dec 22, 2018 - 12:17pm
Passion and logic are invincible, Doug. That said, the passion from pop culture is not to be relied upon.  Witness today's liberal for proof.
Ryan Messano Added Dec 22, 2018 - 12:22pm
I didn't plan on doing it, but at the 17:03 minute mark, Doug, it felt glorious.  And I don't feel bad at all, everything I said was 100% correct, and needed to be said.  It's really going to touch off here in a few meetings or so when a homosexual school board member takes their seat.  Rather than sitting on WB spouting off, as a keyboard warrior, it's time to get in the public square and let our voice be heard.  As for the liberals, no one should listen to them at all, they are like little children, still in diapers.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 22, 2018 - 2:15pm
Speaking of little children, Rev, dont you have some tn go molest? YOU are sad, but hey, looks arent everything
ChetDude Added Dec 26, 2018 - 9:24pm
Too funny!  ROFLMAO!

Ryan: "Kind of sad when WB knows more about a worthless Pink Floyd than the Document this nation was founded upon, the Bible.  I've never listened to Pink Floyd, and have no intentions of doing so.  BTW, the Bible has a talking ass" <-- named Ryan Messano...

A) Pink Floyd's music is much more important and useful for humans than the book of sky-god myths and Jewish fables (funny how you prefer the fables -- too much forgiveness in the latter part, eh?)...

B) The Documents this nation was founded upon are NOT the holly bibbly -- They are the Secular Enlightenment inspired Declaration, Constitution and Bill of Rights written mainly by Deists and Non-theists...

C) Your loss...
ChetDude Added Dec 26, 2018 - 9:30pm
I got to see Pink Floyd live and in quadraphonic sound at Pepperland in San Rafael in California in October of 1970.  Hell of a show!

Hard sitting on the bare floor though...

Pepperland - Atom Heart Mother World Tour
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 27, 2018 - 1:34am
Atom Heart Mother was a fine collection!  Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast......still one of my Sunday morning favorites

Recent Articles by Writers The Burghal Hidage follows.