On Trump 1: Ecce Homini

! was prompted to write this by recent posts by George Romney and Koshersalami  on Donald Trump which appeared here recently and by an article by a Canadian journalist which was sent to me by an acquaintance of mine.

I agree with these articles in some ways and disagree In others, which is why I write.

My major disagreement with these authors is that I see Mr. Trump’s appeal to voters and the factors that made people susceptible to that appeal as being separate but related.

What I am writing is my personal opinion and not the opinion of any law firm of which I was an associate or a member or any military service to which I belonged or was attached or any of my clients.

Donald John Trump

If you do business or practice law in the City, on Long Island or in the Northern Suburbs, in fact, in the Tri-State area generally, Trump and the Trump Organization are a known quantity.

My personal impression (note the disclaimer above) of him and of his Organization generally (which seems to reflect him) is that he often conducts himself as a bully, even where it is detrimental to his objectives, and that he has (and employs others who have) deep knowledge of (and a genuine feeling for) commercial real estate in the Tri-State area.

That knowledge, especially early in his career, has let him do very impressive (and unlikely) things.  He built or renovated major properties, like Trump Towers, when New York commercial real estate was considered a risky proposition in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the days of ”Fear City” and the Escape from New York meme.  He was able to refurbish Wollman Rink, on time and under budget, when New York City could not.

On the other hand, it seems that Mr. Trump has appeared to feel that having that skill means that he has similar knowledge of other endeavors.  There is a long list of events over the last 40 years or so, the Jersey Generals, Trump University, a venture in legal gambling casinos, Trump Airlines, Trump Steaks, Trump Ties, etc., that tend to disprove Mr. Trump’s opinion,

In addition to his deep knowledge and instincts for commercial realty in the Tri-State area, Trump is a master salesman and like most such people, his best product is himself.  The Apprentice is prima facie evidence of this.  Trump is a huckster, which is an attribute of successful people and is a part of having a chance to be a successful politician.

So far, I would suggest, Mr. Trump performance as President has tended to conform to these observations.

In addition, Mr. Trump’s background of being a developer in the Tri-State area in general (and New York City in particular) probably has required Mr. Trump to cut corners in some areas to attain results.  That background has possibly meant that Mr. Trump has been required to deal with people in the underground economy and related demimondes.  That one of Mr. Trump’s mentors was the able (but infamous) lawyer and influencer Roy Cohn, also indicates he has been able to navigate these demimondes adroitly.

Given that, it should not be a surprise that there are investigations, part of which concern untoward ties.

Some Trends in Society

The obvious trend, which Koshersalami and the Canadian Journalist’s articles key on, is demographic change.  However, there are a two other trends which I think are less apparent but which may be more important: 1) the divergence between the coasts (and the major cities) and “flyover country;” and 2) a general hemorrhaging of legitimacy at all levels of  Government.

I will address the later points in separate posts.

Comments

Unrepentant Added Jan 3, 2019 - 1:53pm
I've always thought of realtors as a particularly low form of scum and slime. As Rodney Dangerfield said, everything they sell is two-story; one story is told before you buy it, and another story afterwards. Speaking of Rodney Dangerfield, for some reason, I'm reminded of one of my favorite scenes from 1986's Back to School:

Thornton Melon: Oh, you left out a bunch of stuff.

Dr. Phillip Barbay: Oh really? Like what for instance?

Thornton Melon: First of all you're going to have to grease the local politicians for the sudden zoning problems that always come up. Then there's the kickbacks to the carpenters, and if you plan on using any cement in this building I'm sure the Teamsters would like to have a little chat with ya, and that'll cost ya. Oh and don't forget a little something for the building inspectors. Then there's long term costs such as waste disposal. I don't know if you're familiar with who runs that business but I assure you it's not the boyscouts.

Dr. Phillip Barbay: That will be quite enough, Mr. Melon! Maybe bribes, kickbacks and Mafia payoffs are how YOU do business! But they are NOT part of the legitimate business world! And they are certainly not part of anything I am doing in this class. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Melon!

The professor went on to ask the class where to build their fictional "plant", to which Rodney (Melon) replied, "How about Fantasyland."
George N Romey Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:02pm
Here's the thing Trump has always been a go on your guts guy.  With that some things work, some don't.  Probably more of the latter.  As I said before he is the 1950s and 1960s mad man before "data" entering into marketing campaigns.
Leroy Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:13pm
I find nothing to disagree with.  Are you alluding to the investigations into Trump's personal life?  No doubt Mueller will discover something.  Who was it who said, "Show me the man and I will find the crime."  Mueller has plenty to work with in Trump's case.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:16pm
But the whole thing about Melon (and Trump) is that when you go into other things, it is wise to get someone who knows those things work to tell you what palms to grease.

If you don't . . . .
Unrepentant Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:17pm
From my perspective, Trump owes his office to people who feel that they're becoming, and have already became, fourth-class citizens in their own country. That, and the fact that he wasn't a professional politician.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:25pm
"Here's the thing Trump has always been a go on your guts guy."

There are smarter ways to go on your gut.

For example, if you know a business, you know where to look for signs something isn't working.  If some kind of data-driven plan isn't working, people familiar with the "Iron" will know what to watch for.

(Additionally, people with this kind of expert knowledge can be invaluable in suggesting what to measure and how to measure it, the downfalls of most data-driven approaches.)

That was part of why Trump had the success he did as a developer: he grew up in the business and studied real estate development it at Fordham and Wharton.

He has not demonstrated that he understands he is outside his knowledge base on other matters . . . like foreign policy.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:34pm
"Are you alluding to the investigations into Trump's personal life?  No doubt Mueller will discover something.  Who was it who said, "Show me the man and I will find the crime."  Mueller has plenty to work with in Trump's case."

I have no knowledge of any improprieties in Mr. Trump's background.

However, the endeavors he has been involved with over the last 50 years offer a wide array of opportunities to become involved (voluntarily or not) in something untoward.

Given that, why become a political candidate?

Possibly, because of a sincere desire to benefit the country but the potential to generate more light than heat potentially takes away from the value of the contribution.
Unrepentant Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:35pm

Good point. in addition to finding that ever-elusive needle, such people can also reduce or eliminate the number of haystacks needing to be searched, lol.

Trump is no Bismarck, that's for sure.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 2:49pm
"Trump is no Bismarck, that's for sure."

The "I knew Bismarck.  Bismarck was a friend of mine.  And, you,
sir, are no Bismark" moment.

I agree.  But, that prompts the question: "Who is?"

Unrepentant Added Jan 3, 2019 - 3:23pm
McCoy - Spock, you inhuman, green-blooded son of a bitch!

Spock - Doctor, you should control your emotions; they will certainly be your undoing.

Captain Kirk - Alright fellas, settle down...we have some Klingons to beat.

Ryan Messano Added Jan 3, 2019 - 3:26pm
Didn't know you were in law, John.  Interesting.  Sad you have to disconnect yourself from your military profession and business profession before stating a relatively moderate position, hardly controversial in the least.  This is the atmosphere of fear that cultural Marxists have created.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 3:38pm
Actually, it is a long standing cannon of both professions going back to the time of the founding of the Republic.

People's political beliefs are separate from their roles as either Soldiers or lawyers, accept as to the oaths you take in both cases to support and defend the Constitution.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 3:58pm
Your opinions will be given the weight they deserve, given your unwillingness to write under your won name.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 3:59pm
Sorry, "own."

But, perhaps "won" is another pseudonym.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 4:52pm
I'm not fishing for anything, I'm simply less than impressed by your failure to stand behind your opinions.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 5:19pm

"We need something like Captain Kirk. Spock and McCoy need to be kept in balance, lol. Trump seems to be more McCoy than Spock, which is odd, because the Righties are usually the colder ones."

Possibly, Trump is more of a counterpart of Commodore Matt Decker, which is interesting due to people talking about invoking te 25th Amendment . . . .

FacePalm Added Jan 3, 2019 - 6:34pm
Leroy-
Who was it who said, "Show me the man and I will find the crime."

Laurentia Beria, head of the KGB under Stalin.

And yes, Mew-ler is using those exact tactics.  He's on a "fishing expedition," and is growing ever-more stupid as he goes on finding nothing, regardless of the bait; he's taken to figuratively dynamiting the waters in his desperation...and probably sank his own boat, what with the deliberate and intentional obstruction of evidence in the matter of Strzok's and Page's cellphones.

That said, i like the way Trump is running things, and admire his extraordinary patience in dealing with an aggressive and virulently hostile media, for the most part.  i might have blown my top at far less provocation.

At least Trump is not pulling a D'OhBama, and using intel agency resources to monitor his political opponents, nor is he using the IRS to go after them, either.

Not yet, anyway.  i heard today that at HW's funeral, envelopes were handed out to the Klintons, the D'OhBama's, the Bushes, and the Bidens, and whatever was in them caused some interesting reactions.  Speculation abounds, but nothing reliable, yet - and i'd wager a dollar to a doughnut that no MSM agent is going to ever ask any of them on the record - not that the envelope recipients would be over-eager to share...

But my hope is that the long-promised military tribunals are on the way, and that many criminals in the deep state are about to be done...in more ways than one.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 6:41pm
If Mr. Trump ran for office out of a desire to better the country, that is admirable.

However, doing that in a way that antagonized many people having made your fortune as a developer in New York City (with Roy Cohn as a mentor), may not have been the best judgement.
Dino Manalis Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:20pm
 Trump has a lifetime of business experience and fundamental to achieving his presidential objectives.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:22pm
At best he has, Dino, but there are some things that still trouble me.

And, given the context of his election, I have concerns . . . .
Eric Reports Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:27pm
Do you believe in God?  Do you believe in miracles?  Trump's greatest achievement, his raison de etat, was/is keeping the great satan Hillary Clinton out of the White House.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:33pm
Yes, and I think He calls us to  think critically and try to make the best we may of what we are given.

Let's do the best we may with these circumstances.  Lets evaluate what needs to be done with reason and with charity.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:34pm
As I stated before, I voted for neither Mrs. Clinton nor Mr. Trump.
FacePalm Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:37pm
ER-
At best, The Liar is an imp or a demon; she's definitely a practicing witch, and not of the "white" kind, either, but a malevolent, vile being that preys on others.  The evil one, satan, is in no sense of the word "great."  He's a loser.

And "etat" is french for "state."  You may have meant "d'etre," which means "to be."

What i have heard was that Trump was deliberately courted and essentially drafted to run for the presidency, for many loyal Americans knew exactly what the globalist/NWO/OWG/UN plan was going to do to America, and they wanted it to end.

i think it's entirely possible that Trump has many things going on behind the scenes, including but not limited to rounding up not only the human traffickers, but also those corrupted by being caught in "honey traps," who are being blackmailed or otherwise coerced to do the bidding of the globalist swine - and if Romney doesn't wise up soon, he'll be caught in the nets being spread for them.
John Minehan Added Jan 3, 2019 - 7:42pm
I would hope Sen. Romney is expressing what his conscience tells him is right.  I should hope we don't round people up for such things.  "This isn't Spain, you know."  (Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons)
FacePalm Added Jan 3, 2019 - 8:13pm
He's a backstabber.  A RINO.  Wait and see.

205 Trump accomplishments in less than 2 years.
Lindsay Wheeler Added Jan 3, 2019 - 9:30pm

What is undoing his presidency is the RINO and Marxist/Internationalist Cabal that run the Federal bureaucracy, Our Marxist Press, and demographics. Trump is the Last Mohican. He will be the Last Republican president.

It is just too late to save America. America is gone. It is a failed State.
Katharine Otto Added Jan 3, 2019 - 11:28pm
John,
I don't think anybody gives sufficient credit to Trump's masterful use of social media, i.e. Twitter, to keep anyone who cares in the loop.  He may be the most accessible president we've ever had, and this means a lot to the little guy, even if the little guy hates him.  I've never seen more national involvement, not from parties, or media, which you'd expect, but from people who probably couldn't find Washington DC on a map.

And even those who don't agree with his campaign promises respect that he is making an effort to keep them.

Ward Tipton Added Jan 4, 2019 - 2:41am
I hope I am proven wrong, but the recent push towards socialism does not give me any great faith in the future of our nation. Opher can brag all he wishes about the UK, and we do seem to take on their bad habits. Still, they are now actively trying to put people in jail for watching "right wing propaganda" ... seriously. It is not going to get any better in the USA any time soon.
Unrepentant Added Jan 4, 2019 - 7:55am
Possibly, Trump is more of a counterpart of Commodore Matt Decker.

John, I strain to see it that way. Robert Wise directed both Run Silent, Run Deep and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and they both had the element of an experienced officer, deeply familiar with both the ship and its crew, on the verge of command of the same, only to be usurped at the last minute by a superior officer who is regarded as a has-been at best, and a loser at worst. Trump would have been well-cast in both movies as someone that had a torpedo dropped on them, and then was dumped along with an oil slick and garbage in order to save the people, lol.
opher goodwin Added Jan 4, 2019 - 10:06am
Is cutting corners doing stuff like tax evasion, limiting health and safety, exploiting workers, using migrant workers on low pay, ignoring environmental legislation and stuff like that?
opher goodwin Added Jan 4, 2019 - 10:08am
Ward - who have we put in jail for watching right-wing propaganda??
Ward Tipton Added Jan 4, 2019 - 11:01am
Read what I said again ... attempting to make it illegal ... should make you warm and fuzzy in your love of big government however, as it is actually the tory party seeking to accomplish this ... search amber rudd and right wing propaganda ... she may be coming over to your side.
John Minehan Added Jan 4, 2019 - 4:55pm
Actually, I was thinking of the older Matt Decker . . . .   I'm old school.  (Also, the part, actually played by William Windom, was originally written for Robert Ryan, who was an old Merchant Marine friend of my dad.  It's a small world . . . .)
John Minehan Added Jan 4, 2019 - 4:57pm
"President Trump is going down as one of the greatest, if not the greatest President America ever had. He is also probably the Last of the Mohicans. He is a True American hero and patriot. I am truly impressed by his leadership skills, his policies and his stamina."

Mr. Wheeler, I really hope you are right.
John Minehan Added Jan 4, 2019 - 5:08pm
"Also, his decision to get out of Syria has generated grudging support even from confirmed Trump haters.  I'm interested in your thoughts, John, on getting out of Syria and maybe Afghanistan, too.  Are you planning to write about that?"

Wow,  Dr. Otto, that is a question to which I still have no answer.

On one hand, although I was Army, I have a lot of friends who are Marines and I was attached to a Marine unit in my last war.  Both of these incline me to think Sec. Mattis has the better argument.

On the other hand, I think having troops in Syria in any numbers, even if they are SOCOM, risks putting our hand in a buzz saw.

Afghanistan will probably have a negotiated solution (not unlike the long war against the Apache in the 19th Century).  A certain force level is needed to "keep everyone honest."  It will take some thought (and trial and error) to determine what that number is,
FacePalm Added Jan 5, 2019 - 2:24am
i can see Trump having a great deal of trouble from deep-state globalist cia, as they're going to kick like crazy against the president shutting down their retirement/black projects funding from the opium/morphine/heroin trade.

John Minehan Added Jan 5, 2019 - 6:47am
"Did you ever find it curious that under the Taliban, opium growing had almost been eliminated, but as soon as Americans came in, opium poppy growing/processing expanded dramatically, to the point where US soldiers guard the fields?"

Well, it had been eliminated where the Taliban had firm control (Kandahar).  That was less true in areas they did not control or had looser control of and it was no surprise that it came back once they were suppressed.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 27, 2019 - 6:21am
"On Trump 2: Demographic Change (We Will Replace You---And Always Have)"

Hey John, I like the quality of your work. Please contact me regarding the following.

educateme5@yahoo.com
Public Scholar Program

Division of Research Programs
The Public Scholar Program supports the creation of well-researched books in the humanities intended to reach a broad readership. Some humanities scholarship is necessarily specialized, but the humanities can also engage broad audiences in exploring subjects of general interest. Such scholarship might present a narrative history, tell the stories of important individuals, analyze significant texts, provide a synthesis of ideas, revive interest in a neglected subject, or examine the latest thinking on a topic. Books supported by this program must be grounded in humanities research and scholarship, making appropriate use of primary and/or secondary sources. They must also be written in a readily accessible style, addressing significant humanities themes in a way that will appeal to a large audience of general readers. Applications to write books directed primarily to scholars are not appropriate for this program. Applicants may seek support for the creation of digital or Web-based products intended to supplement the book that they propose.

Grant Snapshot