DAME PELOSI AND MOBSTER VINCENT GIGANTE

In the article Will 2019 be a bad year for Lady Dems we discussed what five lady Dems may be facing in 2019.  We are a little bit over halfway through the first month of 2019 and Dame Pelosi is showing signs that she may be imploding.  Consider this:

With the partial government shutdown ongoing, Congresswoman Pelosi decided the optics was okay to leave CONUS and head to Hawaii for a vacation, refusing to negotiate  with President Trump regarding the shutdown and funding for border security.  To further muddy the optics waters, Dame Pelosi decided it was appropriate for her and fellow Democrats to take a junket to Puerto Rico, bask in the sunshine and watch a performance of Hamilton, again refusing to negotiate.

In what some consider to be a desperation move, Congresswoman Pelosi then decided that it was in her (and the Democrats’) best interest to dis-invite President Trump from giving his State of the Union (SOTU) address in front of Congress later this month, using the argument that because of the shutdown, Secret Service would not be able to provide adequate security.   When this claim was rebuked by the Secret Service and DHS, Pelosi’s response was “I don’t care what they said.”    Come on . . . seriously?  What are you trying to hide, Madame?

Additionally, just the other day, Dame Pelosi and a gaggle of Democrats were on their way for another junket to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan.  (As an aside, these junkets are paid for by the taxpayer.  Judicial Watch has recovered documentation, through FOIA, demonstrating that Pelosi spent millions on these junkets.  Here is just one example of the costs of one of these junkets, provided by Judicial Watch).  President Trump, in what some would arguably label a “tit-for-tat,” put a stop to this latest junket in a letter to Congresswoman Pelosi stating “Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan has been postponed.”

Congresswoman Pelosi’s seemingly out-of-touch approach to the situation she faces is bewildering, to say the least.  What strategy, if actually Dame Pelosi and the Democrats have a strategy, would make these above-referenced decisions by Congresswoman Pelosi acceptable?  What possible strategy would include Pelosi and the Democrats thumbing their noses at the general public at large and President Trump specifically, refusing to sit down to negotiate and, basically, saying they don’t give a hoot about our southern border security, while, from the other side of her mouth, Dame Pelosi postponed the SOTU address because she is concerned about security?  Security is good for Dame Pelosi and her ilk but not for the United States Citizen?

As previously stated, Dame Pelosi has been put in zugzwang by President Trump over the funding of border security and the shutdown.  Dame Pelosi’s actions certainly appear to be those of someone who has no clue what to do next – she seems to be flailing about and acting as a petulant child, possibly just overwhelmed at where she finds herself today; could we be watching in real time the ultimate “brain freeze” of Pelosi, in that she is unable to make a decision; could it possibly be the real-time degeneration of Congresswoman Pelosi into her second childhood; or is Congresswoman Pelosi just “acting” like an inept, out-of-touch Democrat, who is afraid of the backlash from the radical left if she so chose to finally sit down and act like an adult?  Taking the above into account, it could be argued by some that Congresswoman Pelosi’s actions are verging on the insane.

This reminds the writer of the old mobster Vincent Gigante, who would walk around in his bathrobe to make the Feds think he was crazy and therefore not of sane enough mind to run a criminal organization or, perhaps, to stand trial (it didn’t work).  Could it be that Dame Pelosi is following this same thought pattern and hedging her bets against possible future criminal liability or is this aged Congresswoman from California simply unable to accept reality and make a decision worthy of her standing in the government?

The stress is building for Dame Pelosi and the frayed ends are becoming more apparent as the year progresses.

Semper Fi

Comments

Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 19, 2019 - 10:24pm
edinmountainview Added Jan 19, 2019 - 10:32pm
Very astute observation, Doctor Green.  Of course, we will leave it up to the individual reader the option of who is who.  Thank you for stopping by.
Unrepentant Added Jan 19, 2019 - 10:32pm
I vaguely remember watching an interview with General Ky, one of the "leaders" of South Vietnam, and him recalling a discussion with fellow junta members about "Who wants to be the President?" It was clearly a thankless job, lol. Regarding Pelosi, we seem to be following the same model as South Vietnam and Israel, where it's essentially the same cast of characters and caricatures caught in a strange combination of elevators, escalators, and revolving doors, but the same relatively narrow clique still more-or-less running things. Nancy Pelosi sounds like the name of a disease:

Doctor: Good morning. Why are you here today, and why am I seeing you?

Me: Doc, I think I have...nancypelosi. Ughhh....
edinmountainview Added Jan 19, 2019 - 11:09pm
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  <GUFFAW> <GUFFAW> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!  ". . . I think I have...nancypelosi.  Ughhh...."  That is outstanding!!  Way to go, Adolph.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 19, 2019 - 11:36pm
@ Dick. "Doctor: Good morning. Why are you here today, and why am I seeing you?

Me: Doc, I think I have...nancypelosi. Ughhh...."

Unless I am missing something, was there not something regarding a paper bag trick? Still, I believe there is a back door style.
Unrepentant Added Jan 19, 2019 - 11:46pm
@ Ed - I'm glad you found that amusing, lol. Anyway, just today, while negotiating downtown traffic, a woman and her obviously pussy-whipped boyfriend decided to disrupt traffic by walking out in the middle of it holding signs that said STOP THE WAR ON WOMEN. I decided not to run her over. Who says I'm not a pacifist, lol.

A joke that made the rounds goes something like this:

edinmountainview Added Jan 19, 2019 - 11:58pm
Yes, I did find it very amusing as I did with your latest.  Hahahahahahaha!  I am sometimes so tempted to run over people who run out into the street that it is very difficult to put my foot on the brake.
Unrepentant Added Jan 20, 2019 - 12:51am
How about this, which is a variation of an oldie-but-goodie:

"I told Nancy Pelosi that she was a two-cent whore, and she hit me over the head with a sack of pennies."
Flying Junior Added Jan 20, 2019 - 2:12am
Two cents.  Pun.

The State of the Union = Broken

In less than two goddam years.  Fuck you twats.
edinmountainview Added Jan 20, 2019 - 2:29am
hahahahahahahahahaha!  That was a good one, too.
edinmountainview Added Jan 20, 2019 - 2:31am
Flying Junior - why do you think the State of the Union = broken?
Semper  Fi
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 20, 2019 - 6:29am
@ Saint. "Q: A Marine with three rounds left in his pistol was stuck in an elevator with Osama Bin Laden, al-Zarquawi, and Nancy Pelosi...what did he do?

A: He strangled Bin Laden, threw Zarquawi out of a window, and shot Pelosi in the head three times."

Was Zarquawi thrown out the window on the 13th floor of the elevator?
Dino Manalis Added Jan 20, 2019 - 8:32am
 It's impossible to compromise with stubborn donkeys, Trump has to pay for the wall himself, gain politically and end the shutdown immediately!
Gus Martinez Added Jan 20, 2019 - 12:35pm
Actually I would have sent her to Afghanistan and then pulled the plane.... she could then realize her 2 cent ambition.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 20, 2019 - 1:19pm
"A psychological battle is being waged by a wily fox and political buffoon. I will say who is who."

Yet the American voting population will continue to support and to reelect the buffoons ... please note I did use the plural form as there are far more than one in office.
edinmountainview Added Jan 20, 2019 - 2:22pm
Dino - I agree.  President Trump should use some of that DoD money for the wall (border security).  I think right now President Trump is forcing the stubborn donkeys to "cut their own throats" with their obstructionism and inability to come to the table to negotiate.
edinmountainview Added Jan 20, 2019 - 2:23pm
Gus - I like that idea.  Make sure she is off the plane first before you pull it.  Hahahahahaha.
edinmountainview Added Jan 20, 2019 - 2:26pm
Ward - I think the voting is rigged; at least here in California.  On the ballot this past year there was a bill to repeal a big gas tax hike.  You probably guessed it, California voters "apparently" voted against keeping their own money.  I find that hard to believe.  And yes, the buffoons (plural) get re-elected the same way - they cheat.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 20, 2019 - 4:08pm
What was it? Proposition 208 that was voted on by the people and the State merely overturned their vote because apparently, they figured the voters just "didn't understand"?
edinmountainview Added Jan 20, 2019 - 5:00pm
I don't remember that.  If that happened in California, I believe it.  The government does just about whatever they please and the people here just let it happen.  The politicians don't care what their detractors say.  Here's an example, I sent Senator Harris two scathing letters, one of them is posted here in WB, I was cleaning out my email and found a Christmas Card from Senator Harris.  Even though I made my position clear when it came to my vote and her and how despicable I found her, my name was still put on her Christmas list.  You can't make this stuff up, man.
Dave Volek Added Jan 20, 2019 - 8:53pm
edinmountainview
I thought your last piece on the 5 dems was fairly non-partisan, but this one has moved significantly into the partisan world.

It seems strange to me that if this wall/closure issue needs the support of House to be resolved, then the House has the constitutional right to challenge in the way they currently are challenging. If the president cannot get the support and does not want to back down, then he has the constitutional right to draft up an executive order or declare an emergency (which he has already hinted). So why is he not doing either of those actions?

And the other question is: Why did he not do this in the first two years when the Republicans had control of the House?

My hypothesis to the first question is that he enjoys this kind of fight, where he can blame Democrats and CNN for all the things he failed to do. Had he put forth this issue in the first two years, he probably would have lost in a congressional vote. The blame would have come back directly on him for not being able to convince people in his own party.

My hypothesis to the second question is that he really did not control the House as many Republicans were unsure of his presidency. His gang needed one election cycle to ensure that those nominated in the Republican primaries were loyal to him. He now has that, but he does not have the majority in the House.

The real elections in the USA are the R and D primaries. But only a fraction of Amercans vote---and most of them are unaware of the backroom deals in their own party.

The Owl Added Jan 20, 2019 - 9:22pm
Of course, Pelosi has the constitutial right to reject Trump's proposal just as McConnell had the constitutial right to decline consent on Merrick Garland.  Pelosi also had a similar right under the Rules of the House as McConnell had under the Rules of the Seant.

The question becomes the calculus of the political consequences.

McConnell won his bet.

Power plays for the sake of power plays are dangerous.

Once again, she may well have failed to think things through...

But if one has to carry around that much Botox, thinking can be difficult.

How do I know?  I consulted Opher's zeitgeist and that is what it had to say...

You do believe in zeitgeist, don't you.  Our residents scientist believes it can be measured if one only has the right instrument for detection.

Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 20, 2019 - 9:27pm
@ Owl. "But, the only time that Nancy pushed an all-in bet, she won the pot only to have her chips removed by the judges of political bets in our nation, The Voter."

In the last elections, the court of public opinion--a court even more powerful than the Supreme Court- gave the balls to pursue the course she is--and rightly so.
Chris Brady Added Jan 21, 2019 - 1:23am
I don't think the radical left poses a threat to the Trump people. Gays, Blacks, Hispanics and women are not a credible threat except may to social norms.

The biggest threat the right faces will come from the center, center left and center right and the military. While the left hates Trump for what he is, the others hate him for what he's done and they are the ones with the real power.  When corporate entities become one's enemy and when the highest levels of government such as the FBI becomes one's enemy ones days are numbered.

Let sleeping dogs lie... i.e. Mad Dog Mattis, Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, The Koch Brothers, Steve Bannon etc.... Pelosi is like the rest of them in congress. She has no real power. The power elite are the rich.

Then we have the patriots and former and current military intelligence people who see Trump as a traitor and a Russian asset. They may not stop at Trump and his family. Keep in mind, all the right wing "hate" groups have been infiltrated. You can bet that they are on somebody's list. The already have heaps of intelligence on the Trump supporters many of whom are anti-government. The power elite is not the whiny liberals. The power elite operates independent of errand boys and girls like Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell. If they want to push a button on anyone, anywhere, it will happen.

The radical left are mostly feminazis and there are not many of them and feminists are inept. They whine a wear pink pussycat hats and look like fools.

The core of America is socially conservative. The liberals here look like conservatives compared to Europeans.
Chris Brady Added Jan 21, 2019 - 2:00am
@edinmountainview
Semper Fi

When you say "the government" don't you realize that the "government" serves the corporations. In 2004 Ron Paul called that corporatism and soft fascism. He was right but now the fascism is not so soft.

The is a word called Kayfabe. Kayfabe is an old pro wrestling term which is the fact or convention of presenting staged performances as genuine or authentic. Do you honestly think people's political beliefs have any affect on what happens in the US? Do you think anyone's petitioning of the government at the state or federal level actually does anything?

Here's proof. The Bible Belt votes Republican. The Bible Belt has the highest murder rates, highest teen pregnancy rates, highest divorce rates, highest lung cancer rates, highest opioid addiction highest obesity rates and lowest life expectancies. Do you think that their elected officials give a rat's ass about them? "Hey Senator Graham, the citizens of South Carolina have a horrible quality of life compared to those liberals in the Northeast. What are you going to do about it?" Crickets....

Lindsey Graham is getting too many bribes from big pharma to sponsor meaningful legislation to curb smoking, opiate addiction and obesity. He knows the answers are simple. Ban tobacco, jail doctors and big pharma executives and subsidize tobacco farmers to grow healthy food.

When you say government do you mean agencies like the FDA that are run by the medical and food global corporations like Glaxo-Smith-Kline and Monsanto? Were you aware that the medical industry in the US is 20% of our GDP? Do you think maybe now that corporations are people that they may have a little more influence on the direction of this country than us peasants?

Left vs right is KAYFABE and you and most other Americans have fallen for the hoax!
edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 5:30am
Thanks for the comments and food for thought.  I will respond soon, I hope.  My main computer is on the fritz and I cannot type very well on this mobile.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 21, 2019 - 5:44am
@ Chris.
"The Bible Belt Region
As previously mentioned, the Bible Belt region is generally believed to lie throughout the southeastern and south-central United States. This region includes most of Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, Kansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Kentucky, as well as the southern areas of Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana and the central areas of West Virginia and Virginia. In these states, the most commonly practiced religion can be divided into roughly 24 fundamentalist Protestant denominations, including Methodist, Southern Baptist, and Evangelical. While urban areas are statistically more likely to report less religious affiliation than rural areas, several studies have shown that this may not be the case in the Bible Belt. The most religious cities in the Bible Belt include: Chattanooga and Knoxville (Tennessee), Charleston (West Virginia), Charlotte (North Carolina), Jackson (Mississippi), Lynchburg (Virginia), Birmingham and Huntsville (Alabama), Shreveport (Louisiana) and Springfield (Missouri). These cities are sometimes referred to as the “buckles” of the Bible Belt.
Social And Political Context Of The Bible Belt
In addition to being one of the most fundamentally Protestant regions of the country, the Bible Belt can also be characterized by its unique social and political context. In terms of the social and cultural context, people living in the Bible Belt have distinct health and educational levels compared to individuals living in other areas of the US. For example, it has the lowest levels of educational attainment and the highest rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease, teenage pregnancy, homicide, and sexually transmitted infections in the country." Sources 1 2.

Your report is very edifying and it sent me to perform research, which is found and sourced in preceding. Is there a Nothern Bible Belt? I could make an educated guess that the areas in question are mostly Whites (Republicans). Is there a change in Texas, for example, where young Latinx are increasing to change the state to Democratic?
Johnny Fever Added Jan 21, 2019 - 6:28am
While I can’t stand Pelosi, cancelling the SOTU and attempting to do something productive in her free time seems like the perfectly sane thing to do.  We don’t need the Trump, any president for that matter, to give us his biased version of the State of the Union.  Accordingly, let’s hope we never have to sit through one of those silly speeches again.  As for the optics of heading to Europe, another pointless meeting with Trump over the shutdown would be an even bigger waste of time.  Keep in mind, her base is going to go ape-shit if she gives so much as $1 for the wall.  Accordingly, Pelosi is as sane and rational as they come and is Speaker of the House for good reason.
Bill Kamps Added Jan 21, 2019 - 6:29am
No one in Congress should be paid a salary, or expenses while the government is in shutdown.  That would fix the problem in a few days.  These millionaires squeal like a stuck pig every time a $10 perq is taken away from them.

Of course this would never happen, because Congress would have to vote on this.

Is Nancy back to flying her personal 757 back and forth to California now that she is Speaker again?

Bill Kamps Added Jan 21, 2019 - 8:32am
Its tough to out maneuver Nancy politically.  As a teenager she kept track of the political favors and slights done to her Dad while he was mayor of Baltimore.  She is the ultimate example of what Washington produces from a lifetime on the job, and is the current poster person for term limits, having taken over the position from Robert Byrd.

Never having held a private sector job, she is worth more than $26M.  Guess she "invested" her money wisely :)  since her average salary in Congress was about $150K.
Unrepentant Added Jan 21, 2019 - 12:32pm
Oh yes, the dreaded limousine liberals, of which Nancy is a steroidal member of, splashing water on and nearly running over the homeless while on their frenzied way to a "Save Darfur" benefit, lol.
edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:05pm
Dave – You are correct, mea culpa.  It was very difficult for me to keep my frustrations in check while writing this latest article on Congresswoman Pelosi.  You should have seen the original!  Thanks for the input, Dave; I’ll work harder on keeping my feelings in check in the future.

Perhaps you are right here too.  I think President Trump does like a good fight; although he’s probably used to “fighting within the boundaries.”  He is a businessman and there are certain laws that one must follow when in business – he, President Trump, plays by the rules, as best he can, I would imagine.  His current opponents do not.   My opinion why President Trump beats up on CNN and the Democrats is because they open themselves up to his ridicule.  For instance, in 2006 the Senate, in a bipartisan vote agreed to 700 miles worth of wall.  Now, they are totally against it as “immoral, ineffective, and expensive.”  The Democrats have let off on the “immoral” part.  I would contend that hypocrisy draws ridicule.  CNN is just plain old fake news and seemingly “asks for it.”

To your first question, I don’t believe President Trump can just draft up an executive order (Obama did that with DACA and look where we are with that); also there was much discussion about the Posse Comitatus Act.  And, if he did, any executive order President Trump signed regarding border security (wall) would be hung up in the courts, courtesy of the Democrats and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal.  President Trump can, however, declare a national emergency, and will I believe, if the Democrats continue to hinder his agenda and don’t agree to a compromise . . . when the time is right.  Keep this in mind.  What did happen was General Mattis signed an order, for reasons of national security, sending troops to the border.  Remember, the troops set up the concertina wire, etc., assisting Border Patrol.  There has already been one extension to keep the troops at the border and there is the option to send more troops, if necessary.  I would venture to say that it will not be difficult to extend the troops current mandate and also, send more troops to the border, spanning a wider reach.

There are investigations ongoing that we are not aware of; possible investigations, as I mentioned in my article re: the five dem ladies that may be coming to an end, with possible indictments being issued; investigations into Comey, Strzok, Page, Yates, Brennan, Clapper, Carlin, the Ohrs, et al., are ongoing involving their alleged roles in Spygate.  Who in the current House or Senate will be implicated in these investigations?  That’s anyone’s guess, but the possibilities are there.  Will those indicted be removed from office or forced to resign?  Most likely “Yes” would be my guess.

We must also consider President Trump’s “weapons cache," which already consists of the option to fully declassify the un-redacted FISA docs, along with the other “buckets” of documents requested by Devin Nunes and the House Intelligence Committee.  These documents could be released by President Trump at any time and they know it.

I believe there will come a time, maybe in the not too distant future, when President Trump will unleash his arsenal, release everything they have found through investigation and the Democrats will be in turmoil.

That time may be closer than we think, considering the new caravan(s) coming up from the South.

The 115th Congress forwarded a bill, which included $5.6 or $5.7 billion for border security funding, to the Senate for approval.  Mitch McConnell would not put the bill on the Floor for a vote because he could not get the required 60 votes for the bill to pass.  President Trump and the Republican-held Congress did attempt to pass a bill so there was no need at that time to talk of national emergency or even an executive order.

I agree that there were plenty of R
edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:07pm
Chris Brady - You know, Chris, a lot of what you say in your first comment, I will keep an open mind to.  I really do appreciate other's opinions.  One thing did stand out for me though.  Where you say "Trump supporters many of whom are anti-government."  Really?  I support President Trump and am certainly not anti-government.  I am anti-BIG-government.  I am anti-CORRUPT-government.  I am also anti-DEEP-STATE-government.  Can you direct me to where you get your information on which you base this comment?

I must say, that is a very good analogy -- WWE and government.  When I say "government" I mean politicians.  Of course corporate America has a lot of pull.  Of course, machinations behind the scenes are happening with the "movers and shakers."  There is not doubt about that.  The majority of our current politicians do what they do for the money.

"Do you honestly think people's political beliefs have any affect on what happens in the US?"  Yes, if we are able to have an honest election.

"Do you think anyone's petitioning of the government at the state or federal level actually does anything?"  Yes, but one must be willing to fight to the end.

"Here is how it works. We are the wrestling fans and the wrestling promoters have 2 heels trying to win over the fans. Politics in the US are as fake as WWE with few exceptions."  So I hear you saying that the "Super Rich Elite" are using President Trump and Congresswoman Pelosi as show pieces to keep the masses engaged, while the "Super Rich Elite" carry on their business as usual, behind the scenes?  Is that what you are saying?  Are you also saying that President Trump is a pawn for these "Super Rich Elite?"

I will accept your "proof" at face value here regarding the Bible Belt, although I would appreciate some reference to where these facts can be substantiated.  If true, they are quite revealing.

I'm not sure where Lindsay Graham comes into the picture here, but, I will agree that he is a politician and he most likely enjoys many dollars from many individuals.

Finally, I don't think President Trump is a hoax.  It would seem to me that President Trump is trying to clean up a big mess he inherited.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your views.
edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:13pm
Dr. Green - Thank you for your comment and sharing your research.  I had requested that info from Chris.

edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:25pm
Johnny Fever - ". . . cancelling the SOTU and attempting to do something productive in her free time seems like the perfectly sane thing to do."  Really, Johnny?  Going on a junket, which is basically a taxpayer-paid-for trip to go party and hobnob, while the government is in partial shutdown, is "productive" in your estimation?

"We don’t need the Trump, any president for that matter, to give us his biased version of the State of the Union."  I wonder if you said this about the previous President of the United States, or the one before him.

"Accordingly, let’s hope we never have to sit through one of those silly speeches again."  You never HAD to sit through any of these silly speeches, Johnny, you could just turn it off.  Have you considered that there are people out here who would like to hear President Trump give his State of the Union Address?  Pelosi is afraid of what President Trump will say; she knows things are bad for her.

"As for the optics of heading to Europe, another pointless meeting with Trump over the shutdown would be an even bigger waste of time."  One of Dame Pelosi's talking points is that employees are not getting paid and the President should re-open the government.  Having said this, you think it is okay for her to go on a junket and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and party while these "poor employees" don't get paid?  Have you considered that it might not be "another pointless meeting" if Dame Pelosi were to actually sit down to negotiate and reach an agreement so we can move on?

"Keep in mind, her base is going to go ape-shit if she gives so much as $1 for the wall."  This is true.  I would contend that her "base" is not all that large (although Dame Pelosi is afraid of them); they are very vocal and we all know, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.  There are Democrats who do not agree with Pelosi and the far left; remember, that is how President Trump was elected.

"Accordingly, Pelosi is as sane and rational as they come and is Speaker of the House for good reason."  This coming from the same person who says "cancelling the SOTU and attempting to do something productive in her free time seems like the perfectly sane thing to do."

As always, Johnny, thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:28pm
Bill Kamps - Yep, I agree, Congress should not be paid if there is a shutdown.  And, yes, it will never be voted on in the Congress.  No doubt Madame Pelosi is flying on her taxpayer-paid-for luxury liner, lapping up the taxpayer-paid-for booze and living the high life.  Pelosi was raised a swamp rat, go figure.
Thanks for stopping by.

edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:32pm
Mahatma Oogala Boogala Ooota Zoota-Zoot - Hahahahahahahaha!  I'm not sure if I am laughing at your name or your comment.  Thanks for stopping by and it's always good to see you.
Dave Volek Added Jan 21, 2019 - 3:57pm
edinmountainview

Once again, a great response. When I saw your response to Chris, it reminded of my visit to Ottawa in 1982. Of course, I had to go see the Canadian Parliament buildings, and I was surprised that the public could attend sessions, looking from the gallery. So I got me a ticket.

Canadian Parliament has a half hour session each day called Question Period. This is when the opposition throws all sorts of hard ball questions to the government, and the government sometimes responds in a rational way, but often ducks the questions or chastises the opposition for their ineptness when they were in government. Lots of catcalling and insults and shouting down. Snippets of this stuff makes it in the TV news hours. But I got the full show, and saw all the well known politicians in action, dragging each other through a field of barbed wire.

Then question period was over. The TV crews were packing up, and the MPs were crossing the floor to their opponents and having little chats here and there. Smiling, laughing, shaking hands, etc. It was then I realized that politics is mostly theater.

One thing Mr. Trump and Ms. Pelosi have in common is both enjoy their job. They like the theater and the maneuvering around each other. There is an adrenaline rush many times over, each time they score a point (or think they score a point). Each has a base that is happy with their performance. Whether this is good for Americans is another point.

Your 2006 review of history is a moot point. These days in American politics, the two sides are so vitriol towards each other that if one side has a good idea, the other side will fight to the edge of the cliff (but within the rules(so far)) to defeat that idea--even if the other side has a history of supporting that idea. The opposition to Mr. Trump is escalated from what Mr. Obama experienced. But remember, very few R's would give Mr. Obama any credibility to tie his own shoes. And we should expect the culture to get worse.

And we do have this the-other-party-is-nothing-but-fools attitude in Canada, but it is more on the civil side. I don't think it has escalated over the decades.

The American system is breaking down--and faster than other western democracies. I have developed an alternative system of governance, one without political parties (which is what the founding fathers had originally intended.

The TDG will require a new culture that has a different way of coming to decisions. It will take at least a decade for the early builders to experiment and figure this out. And I have developed a four-stage process where we move from western democracy to the TDG, something many writers of utopias do.

You might be interested in this new way.

Ward Tipton Added Jan 21, 2019 - 5:54pm
"But remember, very few R's would give Mr. Obama any credibility to tie his own shoes. And we should expect the culture to get worse."

But Obama did have two things Trump never had ... partisan support and a super majority for two years. He could have passed DACA or anything else the Ds wanted ... but did not? Why? Because as you noted ... all kabuki theater.
Dave Volek Added Jan 21, 2019 - 6:11pm
Ward

You are alluding to another problem with western democracy: its inability to create new laws and repeal old laws to address the needs of the times. Our legislatures, when they become so deadlocked (and not for the right reasons), leave the law-making to the courts, executive orders, and/or "emergencies."

I suspect that both Mr. Obama and Mr. Trump needed to two years just to figure how to get things done. Mr. Obama lost his majority; Mr. Trump is still learning. But I think the days of presidents being able to be great deal makers to get things done in Congress is long gone. Mr. Bush the 2 was the last "great" with his Iraq war, and we know how that turned out.

It's time for a new system.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 21, 2019 - 6:33pm
"You are alluding to another problem with western democracy:"

One of the biggest problems is people trying to run the nation as a democracy.

As for the Bush legacy, I would say there are those in the shadows who would contest it ... but such is naught more than the realm of crazy conspiracy theories as far as most people are concerned.

I agree that it is time for a new system, but I must admit you have far more faith in the existing powers than I do. Mine is geared towards a much more balanced system between the powers that have exhibited themselves throughout history and the people who have been oppressed throughout history. Getting it implemented however, means building a multinational inc to fund it from the inside out. That is the current quest and has led to my search for capital investment firms that I am currently pursuing more in earnest.
edinmountainview Added Jan 21, 2019 - 6:39pm
Thanks, Dave, I will check out your book.  I am still having connectivity problems with my computer.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Dave Volek Added Jan 21, 2019 - 9:13pm
Ward
I have been at my TDG project for 21 years. I can count its fans on one hand. I categorize the vast hordes of unfollowers as:

1) not caring much beyond one's self interest and social circle.
2) belief the current system will somehow fix itself
3) belief that western civilization is regressing and there is not much anyone can do about it.

Anyways, you are a good writer. I'm sure you can communicate your concept well.

Anyone that is challenging the toe-hold the political parties have is good in my books.

I like the Confederation of States movement, but at this point I can't see them abandoning the political party.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 21, 2019 - 10:37pm
I am happy to send you a copy of the book, as I think I have noted before. You could then see more clearly all the places where we agree and how I have worked around those areas where we disagree. We also have a global presence. Some, like you, believe in government ... but they still do not trust government ... but still think government is the only one that can fix anything ... but do not like government ... ach. We established more of a tripartite system of checks and balances, as I also noted before.

As for the average person in the industrialized world? My recommendation would be to move on past that ... they are either too obsessed with gaining more personally and/or trapped in their delusion of freedom and unwilling to shake the branches for fear reality may drip down and rain on their parade ... so to speak anyhow. I seriously doubt anyone will leave any of those parties there. They are so far within the system that for them, looking in from the outside still places them well within the existing parameters of their enslavement. They are, for the most part, incapable of realizing that there is anything outside of the proverbial box.
Dave Volek Added Jan 22, 2019 - 9:03am
Ward

If you have a pdf, send it to volek333@telusplanet.net. Remove the 3's.

The parties serve a purpose today, but we need recognize that they need replacement. Today's players in the political world will not be able to recognize the need for change. They enjoy the game too much.

Unfortunately the vast bulk of the population is in the same boat. British Columbia just had its third referendum to replace its obsolete westminster system with something that is more in tune with the people's wish in how power should be allocated in its provincial legislature. The people recognize something is terribly wrong. But if people cannot make this simple change, the TDG is far too radical.

I shall keep plugging along.

Ward Tipton Added Jan 22, 2019 - 12:18pm
The powers that be however, are not going to be inclined to accept any change that threatens their control.
Dave Volek Added Jan 22, 2019 - 12:58pm
Ward
No they won't.
But the British system did not accept the decision of the 13 colonies either. Yet important changes happened.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 22, 2019 - 1:08pm
At great expense to all involved, including far too many innocent civilians from both sides.
edinmountainview Added Jan 22, 2019 - 2:30pm

Dave Volek Added Jan 22, 2019 - 3:10pm
Ed

As someone who tends to overthink things, I would say an assassination or attempt would cause a lot more problems in today's divided USA. And the assassination could happen to a prominent D person to the same effect. But if things are to go to the ballot box, that sort of sorts things out in a good way, at least temporarily.

Mr. Trump's may be running the White House like he runs his companies. But he seems to be playing by the formal and informal rules of politics when dealing with the public and Congress. The US constitution is working well in this regard.

If he truly has the constitutional power to call an emergency to build the wall, it would be within his right to do so. Whether you or I agree or disagree, is irrelevant.

USA has big immigration problems. Maybe the wall will reduce the illegals. Who knows?

Ward
Chapter 6 gives a peaceful transition. Part of the mandate of the TDG is to state the thresholds to evoke the change from western democracy to the TDG. In my opinion, the transition should have the approval of the parliament(s) plus a referendum of the people that is considerably higher than a simple majority. In other words, if the non-TDG citizen can see the TDG has put high standards on itself, then the citizenry should not fear the TDG taking over by some revolutionary process.

The TDG really needs to communicate with the public as it evolves. This will allay a lot of fears and suspicions.

Ward Tipton Added Jan 22, 2019 - 3:23pm
"Ward, Dave - because the United States is so polarized at this time, do either of you think we are heading into a possible civil war?  I think if President Trump were somehow removed or an attempt at assassination were made, we could very well find ourselves fighting each other again.  Possible?
Semper Fi"

I do believe it is a distinct possibility that we need to face up to, not only based on any assassination. I think the ideological divide itself has reached a breaking point, and when one side has clearly demonstrated, and some of their followers have begun stating that disagreeable speech is an act of violence against them, and justified a violent physical response from them ... the powder keg has been lit.
edinmountainview Added Jan 22, 2019 - 4:21pm
Thanks, guys.

Dave Volek Added Jan 22, 2019 - 6:06pm
Ed

I read the "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire." What I got from this epic is that the Empire took a long time to fall. It wasn't an overnight process.

In his Foundation series, Isaac Asimov prophesied that democracy only has a shelf life of two to three centuries. It eventually falls in on itself, then reverts to some version of oligarchy to maintain social order.

And history has repeated itself too many times. After the Roman Empire came the Muslims as the next superpower. Then Spain had their time in the limelight, to be eclipsed by English. The English lost their empire and ability to shape world history after WW2. It is only natural that the USA is going to fall.

I'm not too sure where the western world is on this cycle of decline. It could last another century. While we can point to the today's division, USA has been divided for a very long time. There never has been a golden age of American politics.

I'm not seeing anything tangible in a state of ascendancy to replace the declining system. Hopefully the TDG will get some traction soon.

An assassination of any high ranking politician would not be good for USA at this time. I hope the USA can muddle through these times without much serious incident.

edinmountainview Added Jan 22, 2019 - 6:48pm
There is just so much hate in the United States today, and the World, for that matter.  I never would have thought the downfall would be caused from within, as we seem to be heading toward.

I appreciate your insight, both of you.

Jeff Michka Added Jan 22, 2019 - 9:31pm
Well, grateful Ed, of course, you've done EVERYTHING to change the amount of hate in the US.  And I don't like being critical of Dave Volek, but I don't think we have a decade to try (operative word)TDG, particularly when there's no clear path or examples to follow, just dictat via "The Book," so you aren't quite fair or real as to why someone may not find your ideas a panacea.  "Gee, we're getting overwhelmed and over run, let's take a decade to try the untried."  I couldn't go to my neighbors with a "solution" to our "ills" that are problematic TODAY for a "possible" solution taking a decade or so.  I see TDG as a great idea, but functionally impractical factoring in time and effort.  For example, TDG won't help feed laid off federal workers today, and think those folks will get a little hungry in the decade of "changing human behavior."  I'll use people and resources I can get now, thank you.
edinmountainview Added Jan 22, 2019 - 10:24pm
Jeff Michka - Why do you call me "grateful Ed"?  I have never told you I was grateful for anything.
Johnny Fever Added Jan 23, 2019 - 11:54am
Yes…really.  You calling what Pelosi was doing as a junket or party, just shows your hyper-partisanship.  Our National Leaders should visit our troops and meet foreign dignitaries.  As for the shutdown, if Pelosi won’t give one dollar for the wall and Trump insists on the wall, what’s the point of meeting?  Should one of them change their position, there would be a reason to meet.

It wasn’t until the shutdown that I realized a State of the Union address before Congress and the Supreme Court was optional.  Now that I know it is, let’s get rid of it once and for all.  If you want to hear President Trump or any future president speak, there are many ways to do so.

Much like there are fractures in Pelosi’s base there are fractures in Trump’s base.  I voted for Trump, but he didn’t get my vote because of anything he said on immigration reform or the wall.  Oh and by the way, if the election were held again, I would vote for Trump again.
Dave Volek Added Jan 23, 2019 - 12:40pm
Jeff

Building the TDG will be a four-stage process. In the first and second stage, the TDG cannot get involved in the day-to-day operations of government. It needs to focus its limited resources on its electoral system and its new culture.  When these are working well, it moves into the third stage, when it will have the maturity to comment wisely on societal issues. Maybe the political parties and citizenry will listen--or maybe not.  But there is still more work to be done to further the TDG evolution. It won't be taking over responsibility and authority until the end of the fourth stage.

There is no shortcut here. But I will say that the TDG could be built in a decade, but I suspect it will take two decades.

To solve today's problems, we need to solve them with today's tools. If you believe that commenting on WB is the way to force the politicians to do what you think should be done, then that is what you have to. I am looking for the 1% who recognize that these ways are not effective--and are willing to put in a few hours a month into this long-term project.

From previous posts, you are well connected in your geographical community. Even if you don't agree with the TDG, maybe someone in community might be. Drop them a note about the TDG--and see if they are willing to do a little heavy lifting.

In the meantime, expect more boondoggles and band-aid solutions. We still need to muddle through our societal issues until the TDG is built. There is no shortcut. Our biggest choice is to decide what role we are going to play in this transformation.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 23, 2019 - 3:13pm
You need to figure in at least four decades before anything new becomes common thought and a societal norm. In the first two generations, it will be trying new things and new things, followed by the way things are and only after that, just the way things are. Sociology 101.
Dave Volek Added Jan 23, 2019 - 4:52pm
Ward
You may be right. The movement to make senators directly elected (which I think both you and I agree was a mistake) was a process that took three decades. I was quite amazed at that.

The sooner the world starts the TDG, . . . .

Eleanore Whitaker Added Jan 24, 2019 - 11:10am
The author of this article must have ovary envy problems. Someone has to act like a president because that half wit in the WH isn't.

When men slam power women like Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters, they asking for the blowback from women you'll get.

This is not longer a "MAN's World." Get over it. How is the Russian sleeper in the WH any icon of virtue when he entered the job with a fine for $10 million for money laundering?

Get off the meds little boys. Nancy Pelosi has had Trump on the ropes more times than Mohammed Ali used that strategy. Get over it.
Dave Volek Added Jan 24, 2019 - 12:13pm
Ed
Just got thinking a little more about your "USA-going-over-the-edge".

When I read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, the life expectancy of a Roman Emperor was not very long. Assassinations or dying under mysterious circumstance were normal operating conditions. Yet the Empire trundled on decade after decade, albeit slowly decaying.

On a smaller scale, the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire also did not live to see an old age. There was always some palace intrigue as royal family members did each other in or an upstart aristocratic family usurped the royal family. Despite all this royal turmoil, the Ottomans managed to maintain a strong enough society to be a big thorn under the saddle of the Europeans for several centuries.

Ward Tipton Added Jan 24, 2019 - 12:56pm
"If history is to repeat itself, the USA will survive the catastrophe. The constitution is still well regarded enough to  establish who really is in charge--and the boundaries they have to operate in. "

The Constitution has been largely disregarded ... or at least selectively so, since shortly after the inception of the Constitutional Republic.
Eleanore Whitaker Added Jan 24, 2019 - 1:46pm
I hope so. I worked as a professional tech writer/accounting manager for an environmental engineering company for 24 years and 10 months. The guy who owned it wasn't an engineer. He had a degree in biology. His father who bought our then 20 year old plus company died 2 years after he bought it. They owned a laboratory. They only bought our engineering company because we had the only license in  the US for biofiltration at that time in 1989.

His son was a disaster. I am used to smart ass guys. Maybe those two plus decades working with a PhD from MIT in ChemE and a Cambridge England educated Brit MSME toughened me.

But, if there was one thing they taught to me always do, it was to prove what I wrote in their articles. This is where the right wing gets it wrong. They try to prove negatives. How? It isn't possible.

What they want is unlimited power to rule over the rest of us. They just do not want to put one dime towards that power they want.

The US Constitution was written at a time when the Founding Fathers were still men who understood the concept of respect for law, honor, freedom and rights.

I am as much a part of the resistance to these right winger traitors as our Colonial Revolutionaries had to be to fend off King George's Oppression.

The sum total of the intent of Constitution is found throughout it ...We, the people. Not we serfdom ruled by a handful of too wealthy men who know how to bullshit their way to the top using profits earned not by them but by their employees.

Trump is now the ranking Most Wanted White Collar Criminal in the US. He's even got Madoff beat.
Dave Volek Added Jan 24, 2019 - 2:24pm
Ward

I would have to agree. Changing the indirect election of the Senators and President to direct elections has significantly altered the vision of  the founding fathers. But we have to realize that these changes occurred within the confines of democratic due process. In the case of the Senators, the advocates for a direct election waged a 30-year PR campaign--and the constitutional allowed the change. As for the electoral college, it's been a while and I should re-study this part of American history before commenting.

Mr. Trump would like to run the country the same way he as he runs his companies. He barks; the business decision is made; the loyal minions carry out the orders. But he is not doing that. He is working within the rules as far as I can see. Something is guiding him not to be a dictator. Could it be the constitution?

Dr. Rupert Green Added Jan 25, 2019 - 3:46pm
Seems Pelosi packed a more powerful pecker and won the pissing contest.

Recent Articles by Writers edinmountainview follows.