Ambient Snow Noise

At my chiropractor's the other day (her office, not her home), she was playing one of those ambient noise CDs that's supposed to relax you. At the time she was pushing my spine into my sternum, so you can debate how effective it was; all I heard was the sound of my own screaming.

Still, it got me thinking. I've heard ambient noise soundtracks of babbling brooks, sea shores, gentle rain, birds chirping, distant thunder, and I've just now realized how very loud nature can be.

Basically you can get ambient noise from any season ... except winter.

Why don't they have any winter soundtracks?

Howling wind, scraping snow plows. The sound of cars skidding off the road. The noise of snowblowers, bodies falling, people cursing. Surely people would pay to hear something like that, if only in the middle of July.

I think I've just hit on a new idea. Maybe I should start wearing a body mic ... I can put the recording on disks, and I'll be rich.

Or at least make enough money to pay the chiropractor.

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Jan 28, 2019 - 1:13pm
Brrr.....winter just gotta shut up and quit LOL
Dave Volek Added Jan 28, 2019 - 6:35pm
Market this like "pet rocks" and you will never have to work again.
opher goodwin Added Jan 28, 2019 - 7:02pm
I think you're on to something Mark! Add in the odd avalanche, swish of skies and the crack of ice as someone falls through into the lake! A winner!
Dave Volek Added Jan 28, 2019 - 7:03pm
Hurry up, Mark. I've got my tape recorder stuck outside recording winter. I'm going to corner the market!

Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 1:46am
Careful, Stone--insult winter, and she just gets revenge!
Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 1:46am
I wish I was better at marketing, Dave. You've probably got me beat already!
Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 1:47am
You know, opher, it occurs to me that this might be more of a nightmare enhancer ... especially when you add in the avalanche sound. If it doesn't work as ambient noise, you could play it for horror noises at Halloween, when people like me are starting to think about winter, anyway.
Dino Manalis Added Jan 29, 2019 - 9:44am
 People want to hear the beauty of nature!
opher goodwin Added Jan 29, 2019 - 11:56am
Mark - there you go! Multiuse!
Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 2:00pm
Or laugh at the people who get hurt by nature! Still, the more people who want it, the more money we make.
Logical Man Added Jan 29, 2019 - 2:09pm
Howling wind and snowplows pretty much described last nigh here!
I doubt you can get a sound recording of -30ºC though.
Even A Broken Clock Added Jan 29, 2019 - 4:55pm
Mark, I was just up in your neck of the woods this weekend for a memorial service. In Lafayette on Sunday morning, the thermometer on the car read 0 F. It was not a fun exercise trying to fit a full size electronic keyboard into my son's car that morning.

But as for ambient snow sounds? I think the sounds of tires crunching down on frozen dirty snow is one of the sounds of winter that all can agree upon. Also the sounds of the woodpeckers as they claim their space at the suet feeder is one that I only hear in winter. Finally, when it is really cold, the squeak of footprints as they walk across snow can't be matched anywhere else. Put those on a loop and you could use them as torture, at least as bad as waterboarding.
Leroy Added Jan 29, 2019 - 6:30pm
I heard that it was so cold in Chicago that politicians were putting their hands in their own pockets.
Logical Man Added Jan 29, 2019 - 6:37pm
Leroy, I doubt it ever gets that cold, even in Chicago!

In DC, they use all their hot air to keep warm.

Properly managed, politicians could be a great source of home heating.

Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 11:00pm
Logical Man, the sound of -30 is clothes crackling, I’ve noticed.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 11:02pm
Yeah that snow crunching noise is a big part of it, Clock. It’s minus 3 right now, so I’ll hear that in a second when I go out to start the car. Assuming my ears haven’t frozen.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 29, 2019 - 11:04pm
I tried to put a Congressman in my basement in place of the furnace ... but the hot air he generated seemed oddly ... dirty.
Ward Tipton Added Jan 30, 2019 - 5:17am
I have a natural curvature of the spine ... even had the forrest gump leg braces as a little boy ... and while I grew out of it, I still walk like a gorilla ... and the idea of a winter soundtrack is about as appealing to me as a chiropractor who treats my spine as if it were the same as anyone else. Never mind those wankers in work places who insisted I lift with my back straightened when I cannot even stand with it that way.
John Minehan Added Jan 30, 2019 - 11:03am
Let's hope for Spring (defined as anything above zero) . . . .
Ward Tipton Added Jan 30, 2019 - 11:07am
A balmy thirty degrees here today ... Celsius ;)
Mark Hunter Added Jan 30, 2019 - 1:38pm
Ward, I would assume most chiropractors would take that into consideration--at least, I would hope so! Mine is very young, and has a good touch.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 30, 2019 - 1:39pm
Thirty degrees sounds pretty good to me right now--C or F!
Logical Man Added Jan 30, 2019 - 5:45pm
Just got home having cycled at -30ºC. Had to lose my goggles as they were freezing up and I couldn't see too well. Problem was, my eyes were watering and my eyelashes were freezing my eyes shut!
The rest of me was toasty warm, however. I don't cheap-out on my winter gear.
I prefer summer!

Ward Tipton Added Jan 30, 2019 - 6:18pm
Hmmmmmmmmm

An American Spring ... why do I get a warm feeling inside when I think about that?
Mark Hunter Added Feb 1, 2019 - 2:08am
Logical, you’re a better man than I. Or insane.
Mark Hunter Added Feb 1, 2019 - 2:09am
Ward, after the last few days anything close to freezing feels like spring!
Ward Tipton Added Feb 1, 2019 - 4:57am
It was a take on the Arab Spring gifted by Obama ... a different type of warm and fuzzy if you will.
Mark Hunter Added Feb 1, 2019 - 6:44am
Guess I like the American one better, although they can both bring storms.
Ward Tipton Added Feb 1, 2019 - 6:59am
Look on the bright side ... if it stays that cold, it is too cold to snow at least.
John Minehan Added Feb 1, 2019 - 8:15pm
"But they're talking about the temperature going up sixty degrees in just two days this weekend, something I'm really looking forward to even if it does turn everything into a slushy mess."

The coldest I ever was anywhere was in the KSA during SHIELD/STORM when the temperature dropped 30 degrees in one day.

It just took it out of you and it was also raining in a freezing drizzle.

Guess it can always be worse . . . .
Mark Hunter Added Feb 2, 2019 - 3:18am
That’s true, Ward ... Friday it got up above zero, and we got three more inches.
Mark Hunter Added Feb 2, 2019 - 3:20am
It could always be worse, John! The coldest I ever was  came during a house fire in the mid 80s ... minus teens that night, and I couldn’t just go in.

Recent Articles by Writers Mark Hunter follows.