Super Bowl LIII and the price of toxic masculinity

It is time. Today it will all be decided. In a few hours it should be determined beyond any remaining doubt whether or not the New England Patriots, under the Belichick/Brady regime, are the greatest team in league history.  In any endeavor when one individual or organization dominates the field for as long as the Patriots have there will always be people gunning for you. Like the legendary gunslingers of the Old West, after so many years on top it leaves no place to just quietly fade away. The only way to exit is with guns blazing. It would be a perfect symmetry for the legend to end where it began, against a Rams franchise which appeared previously during their exile in St. Louis. I could not imagine any way possible to top the dramatic conclusion of Super Bowl LI. That would have been the perfect exit point right there. For the ride to end with anything less than another Super Bowl victory is completely anticlimactic.

In a little over a year we will reach the 50th anniversary of the passing of the Super Bowl trophy's namesake, Vince Lombardi. It is entirely believable to posit the idea that fifty years hence the very same trophy would bear the name of Bill Belichick. I am left to wonder, though: will there be an NFL in 50 years? And, if so, will it resemble anything like the NFL of today? Today's league looks nothing at all like the league of 50 years ago, 1969, the last year before the AFL-NFL merger. In the past decade the NFL has drifted, not navigated, into the murky waters of popular sociological trends. This is because the league's leadership has fallen away from the very capable hands of men like Pete Rozelle, a man who understood and revered the game, into the hands of technocratic types Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell.

The most pointed of controversies that the NFL has navigated in recent years is the whole stand/sit for the anthem fiasco. Goodell's helmsmanship has been akin to that of the ill fated Titanic and worse. After failing to miss that iceberg the first time around he actually reversed course to strike it once again! Even with the media's determination to make this the dominating story a league under the direction of a Pete Rozelle would never have allowed it to become a vehicle for an agenda. All of this began with the pink armbands and socks during the month of October for breast cancer awareness. The minute the NFL signaled that they were willing to be used as a platform for one cause they opened the floodgates to became fair game for any and all. The Washington Redskins. How racist. Where is the outrage for the Kansas City Chiefs? Then there was the domestic violence awareness program because of the ill considered actions of a few of the league's players. I do not for a second mean to condone any of those acts and it is proper for the league to have well established and uniformly enforced code regarding these behaviors. That does not entail making the league a vehicle for virtue signaling their advocacy on behalf of the victims. Oh, and the concussion protocol. Again, yes it is good to evaluate and monitor, but can we get real here for a minute? It's FOOTBALL, okay? It's a fucking game played by grown men for lots of cash because there are lot of people out there willing to watch. And with breast cancer awareness or no, at least 35-40% of that audience is female. Yes, there are actually women who like these rabidly toxic displays of masculinity on the gridiron every Sunday.

The way things are headed it is only a matter of time before the LGBTQ community is up in arms because of the homophobic use of the terms "tight end" and "wide receiver" used to designate certain player positions. I don't care to dwell on these questions in their broader social context, that's not my thing, but where it comes to football? The only toxicity I see is of a decidedly effeminate variety. Some might say that is a part of the pussification of society. I might be inclined to agree with some. These social trends will go the way they will, with or without their cheerleaders, but they are no matter for the NFL to concern themselves with. They should stick to football. Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots have done this for the past 19 years with pretty impressive results. Perhaps with a sixth ring at the end of the day we might someday look forward to a Commissioner Belichick?

Okay, that's my rant for this week. Regardless your partisanship let's hope this Super Bowl proves to be a great contest and that the most toxically masculine team prevails.

Comments

FacePalm Added Feb 3, 2019 - 4:33pm
i'm not as big a fan of football as i once was.
With the NFL's entry into politicization of various issues, even less so.
Most people watch(ed) just because it's an escape from the complicated realities of life for a few hours, where you can see men beat the hell out of each other, yet sometimes display incredible acts of leaping, catching, dodging, and faking out attempted tacklers.

Now?  Even ESPN feels like they have to socialize the game and relate politics to it.  Ugh.

No wonder so many are tuning out, turning the teevee off, and finding something else/better to do.

i've heard the "free speech" arguments for the kneeling thing, and think they're bullshit; the players are well-paid(extremely, for the most part) to play a game and play it well; anything more than that, they should do on their free time, their own time.  Not take up the time of those who pay their salaries by going to the games or buying the products advertised on the broadcasts, or getting "NFL gear" (like any buyer is actually going to use it IN an actual game).  You go to a bank, and a teller feels like they have to make a statement, so they kneel instead of serving you?  Fired.  i'd be completely on-board with every owner firing every player who felt like they had to jeopardize their immense salary/benefits by kneeling.  Let 'em go kneel somewhere else.

Frankly, i'm glad that fewer and fewer people are watching, and i'll be indifferent when the revenues fall so low that players have to be laid off or be consolidated into unified teams.

For example, i've heard that the owners got together and decided that, as a cost-cutting measure, one team would have to have it's franchise ended permanently; however, after some reflection, they decided instead to merge the Green Bay Packers with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  The new team will be called the "Tampax," they're only good for one period, and there's no second string.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 3, 2019 - 4:38pm
What team is Donald Trump for?  I will root for the other one.

Of course I support "America's Team", because I am American.  If you don't know which that is, you don't get to ask--you're clearly a spy.  Hint:  They're not playing today.

If Tom Brady and Bill Belichick both promise to retire if they win, I could get behind that.  I assume D---head will go for "The Patriots", but he does have a hard head which he uses to 'ram' through logic and common sense.    I'm guessing his tactic will be to wait and say he was behind the "winner" all along (afterwards).
Jim Stoner Added Feb 3, 2019 - 4:44pm
Free speech is not bullshit.  Free expression is American, and I will agree the sport is TOO American, but I don't have a problem if he chooses not to stand for our sucky War of 1812 anthem.  (Let's change it to "America, the Beautiful"!)

More to the point, his contract would say he had to behave; on the question is whether kneeling is "bad" behavior, a legally testable proposition that he would have won.   The reality is the unspoken conspiracy not to sign him, despite his obvious talent.

To be perfectly honest, though, Kaepernick would have done better to protest the NFL's plantation policies and the toll of destroyed brains in the sport, along with the injustice of our justice and law enforcement.  That would've drawn more support from his colleagues.
FacePalm Added Feb 3, 2019 - 5:02pm
TBH-
Sorry; got so wrapped up in telling that little joke i forgot to address the "toxic masculinity" aspect.

IMO, this is generally an invented term used by socialists (and social engineers) to make men feel guilty for BEING men; meanwhile, women still find themselves attracted to the qualities men display; but there are programmed females today, just as there are the victims of the male programming, too.

The women have mostly been conditioned to believe in the "fairytale princess" idea, that they are to be pampered, catered to, and never disobeyed simply because they are women...that they are to be valued only for how pretty they can make themselves appear to be, while neglecting qualities of character which always outlast "pretty."
There are 2 types of conditioned men such as these deal with: the beta cucks, and the alpha dominators.  the conditioned woman will dominate the cucks, and prefer being dominated by the rough'n'tough, confident alphas.

None of the above are being real, genuine people, but are playing the roles society has programmed them to expect.  Most are desperately unhappy people pretending they've found the keys to successful lives, but they deceive themselves.

Both are being toxic to one another, and it's rare to find couples who still value, cherish, and protect familial bonds and gender-appropriate roles for the fair division of labor.
Mustafa Kemal Added Feb 3, 2019 - 5:31pm
TBH,
" In a few hours it should be determined beyond any remaining doubt whether or not the New England Patriots, under the Belichick/Brady regime, are the greatest team in league history."

I seriously doubt that. We may not even find out who is the greatest team this year.

However,  I suspect we will find out who won the Superbowl. I know alot of people who appear to care.

But for me I want to know what happens with that 80 million pounds of cheese.

Thats alot of Nachos!
Mustafa
Cullen Kehoe Added Feb 3, 2019 - 6:11pm
I think they need a government oversight committee for a professional league of sport that is inherently dangerous and for which the players are richly compensated to the tune of millions of dollars. Surely the players are being taken advantage of and discriminated against by the evil white capitalist owners.
FacePalm Added Feb 3, 2019 - 6:17pm
Cullen-
Yes, the slaves on the NFL plantations grieve all the way to the bank, then jump in their fancy cars and go home to their mansions, where i'm sure they cry themselves to sleep on their king-sized mattresses stuffed with Benjamins.

i think that if a few of these jackasses were fired right quick, the rest would wake up to the fact that they're not going to make that kind of dough anywhere else on earth, and begin to appreciate what they have.

But, like most younger people, they won't know what they've got 'til it's gone.
Stone-Eater Added Feb 3, 2019 - 7:33pm
Tried to watch that but don't know the rules, and Maroon 5's a teeniepop band by now :)
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 3, 2019 - 8:19pm
Aaauuugggghhhh! The  halftime show BLOWS!
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 3, 2019 - 8:20pm
Cullen - does the water really spiral the wrong way down the sink there?
TexasLynn Added Feb 3, 2019 - 8:45pm
Spot on TBH... I've always been a football fan but the NFL over the past decade at least is really trying my patience.  I largely blame Goodell and see him as an idiot; presiding over both 1) the unforced error of popular trends and 2) the pussification of the game.  See ESPN following suit I might add...

My stance on the NFL right now is let them do their thing as a private industry... but any special consideration they are given under the law should be revoked.

Jim Stoner >> Of course I support "America's Team", because I am American.

I knew there was a reason I really didn't like you. :) I had the displeasure of having three college roommates who were nuts (and I mean nuts) concerning that particular team.  It was enough for me to vow from that day forward that my beloved Texas (then the Oilers) would be my second favorite team; my favorite team would be... whoever is playing the Cowboys.
TexasLynn Added Feb 3, 2019 - 8:47pm
TBH >> Aaauuugggghhhh! The halftime show BLOWS!
LMAO... I heard who would be performing... put the TV on mute and entertained myself.  Most halftime shows blow in my opinion... I assume they appeal to the yougnuns or something.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 3, 2019 - 9:14pm
 We may not even find out who is the greatest team this year.

Mustafa -  you either genuinely don't care, or you may be a disgruntled Rams fan? Nah! Not you! (?)

at this stage in the game ( start of the 4th qtr) it would seem your statement is prescient given the lack of offensive output
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 3, 2019 - 9:35pm
7:00 left, Pats lead 10-3!   I'd call for number 11, Edelman for MVP of the game
Jeff Jackson Added Feb 3, 2019 - 10:06pm
Burghal, also terms like "fumble, touchback, offsides" and "illegal motion" won't be acceptable.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 3, 2019 - 10:07pm
Well, it wasn't pretty, but thats number 6. 9 trips in 19 seasons with a .667 win percentage. Unequaled
FacePalm Added Feb 3, 2019 - 10:11pm
Looks like the GOAT did it again.  Congrats, Pats.
Even A Broken Clock Added Feb 3, 2019 - 10:54pm
That game was a throwback to the days of the 1950's with no one able to break through on offense till very late. Burghal, you have identified many of the issues facing this league and analyzed them very well. To some extent all professional sports across the world suffer some of the same issues. To wit, the extortion of their host cities for public monies for vanity facilities to play their games. The NFL though has its other problems to deal with. By its very nature, over time, the game has gotten bigger (in its players) and faster - much, much faster. My father in law played football for Penn State at the tail end of the leather helmet era. He was 5'11" tall, and weighed 190. He played offensive guard. Now with his size he might be a kicker or a cornerback, but the latter only if he could run 4.3 in the 40.

Since the damage done by a collision is equal to the masses colliding x the square of the velocity, it is no wonder that the damages are so much more severe to the players than they were. Yes, the players are getting a lot of money, but it is becoming clear that they are sacrificing their later decades of life for the game. Trying to dial back that aspect while keeping the violence that satisfies in the game is proving difficult. Goodell is definitely not doing a good job at dealing with the multitude of issues.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Feb 3, 2019 - 11:16pm
With apologies to Autumn:

Yawn Yuuge.
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 3, 2019 - 11:20pm
After all, the big game really wasn't about Brady's golden arm or Belichik's wicked mind.  It was about basic, fundamental defense and rushing the football.  Gurley didn't exactly light it up, nor did any of the Rams' offensive players.  Edelmen deserved the MVP.

The commercials, which of course take up a huge chunk of the SB air time, made me feel like I was in a liberal, Black-history propaganda loop.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Feb 3, 2019 - 11:24pm
One fails to see how the machinations of billionaire owners and their millionaire players has any relevance to middle class and poor people.

Football? Misnamed. Should be pass ball or carry ball. Stand around on commercial break ball. Bore me to death ball.
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 4, 2019 - 12:12am
...Yeah, Goff made a beautiful pass to a Patriots' defender in the red zone too, in the second half.  What a throw.
Flying Junior Added Feb 4, 2019 - 12:15am
Did the referees throw the game to the Patriots?  It seemed to me that Goff was just hitting his stride on the Rams' greatest offensive drive in the fourth quarter.  He made a beautiful long pass with about eleven minutes on the clock.  Then he made another nice complete for the second first down and lo and behold out of nowhere there is an offensive holding call against number 65.  Fifteen yard penalty and a do-over.  Sure enough a few seconds later and Tom Brady had the ball all over again.  What was that all about?  The sportscaster initially had no idea upon whom the call was made.  Mrs. Junior used to always tell me that at least the big bowl games and playoffs were fixed, but before tonight's game I never would have believed it.

Jim Stoner,

As much of a football pussy as Trump no doubt truly is, surely his money was on the Patriots.  Tom Brady is a big Trump guy and supported Trump's nonsense all the way through the kneeling controversy.  Remember, Trump tried to take on the entire NFL and got millions of formerly red-blooded American males to inexplicably renounce their love for football.  Negro Felon League?  Of course none of you lovely Writer Beaters would ever engage in that kind of talk. Maybe not here.
Flying Junior Added Feb 4, 2019 - 12:16am
I guessed which team the White Supremacists supported, didn't I Tom?
Don in Odessa Added Feb 4, 2019 - 5:08am
Haven't been into much football the last couple of years. The politics of the NFL really has soured the whole thing for me. But I was rooting for the Rams. The owner donated a million bucks to the MAGA campaign. Kraft is a Democrat and supported Obama, although he did donate to the Trump campaign this go around. Then there were the cheating incidents of the team. That last one with the underinflated balls? There is no way Brady didn't know those balls were underinflated. He may not have been responsible for it but he had to know as soon as he squeezed one.
Ward Tipton Added Feb 4, 2019 - 6:38am
The very idea of living my life vicariously through the acts of grown men playing kids games and being exorbitantly compensated for it, actually bores me to sleep. That being said, I think Jimmy The Greek ... is that a racist name or what? ... was on to something before he got fired for making a note of historical relevance and scientific fact.

"The Washington Redskins. How racist. Where is the outrage for the Kansas City Chiefs?"

I think the Redskins should be renamed to the Homeland Homies. It has a nice ... semi-automatic ring to it.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 4, 2019 - 8:36am

You know that reminds me....I should solicit the aid of one of our resident Albertans here on WB.....Oh Mr. Volek?

What say the PC culture in Canada with regard to the Edmonton Eskimos?
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 4, 2019 - 8:38am
Who were incidentally, at one time in late 70s early 80s, like the Patriots , their league's perennial champions. What was that....like 5 consecutive Grey Cups?
Steel Breeze Added Feb 4, 2019 - 12:32pm
was one of the better bowls...a good ol fashioned defensive battle......and if there was any doubt; Brady IS da man....
opher goodwin Added Feb 4, 2019 - 12:33pm
I lived in LA and supported the LA Rams! Looking forward to the clash!
I love American Football!
TexasLynn Added Feb 4, 2019 - 12:47pm
Ophr G >> I lived in LA and supported the LA Rams! Looking forward to the clash! I love American Football!

Ummm Opher?  Do you realize the game was yesterday?  Or are you predicting a repeat (Rams vs Patriots) next year?

Just like a liberal... looking forward to something that has already happened. :)  Please tell me you recorded the game and just haven't watched it yet... :)

TBH >> The only part of the Washington Redskins name that is offensive is the word "Washington"

Amen... At least when we had the Washington Senators (baseball before my time) we could be objectionably offended by both parts of the name.
Dino Manalis Added Feb 4, 2019 - 1:31pm
 Tom Brady is getting older, but he's still a phenomenal athlete and knows how to win!
Spartacus Added Feb 4, 2019 - 10:53pm
Nice writeup, TBH.
You inspired me to write an article about my own experiences with US football.
Ryan Messano Added Feb 4, 2019 - 11:14pm
Totally did not watch at all.  Very happy that I did not.  Once I was a big NFL fan, today, I am repulsed by grown men playing a little boys game who make millions of dollars and don't have the sense enough to keep their big mouths shut to refrain from revealing that they have no idea about America or our history nearly at  all!
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 5, 2019 - 3:57am
There ya go rev. There's your mission. Literally. You can form a "missions trip" to the NFL to make sure all those heathen football players hear your American gospel. You may have better luck there. Run along now and why don't you get back to us in, oh I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 years, and let us know how that's working out?
White Hair'd Added Feb 5, 2019 - 10:09pm

I happened to have watched Super Bowl I, which was the Green Bay Packers vs somebody.
I can't remember knowing much about NFL teams prior to that time, but was a fan of and intrigued by the name, Green Bay Packers, since early childhood, when I had pajamas emblazoned with the team logo.

Thanks for the pajamas, Mom.

Flying Junior Added Feb 5, 2019 - 10:28pm
Do you know what the name means?
White Hair'd Added Feb 5, 2019 - 10:42pm
Nope, I've never really looked into the team, or any NFL team, despite those cool pajamas.
FacePalm Added Feb 5, 2019 - 10:49pm
WH-
Allow me to refer you to the joke at the end of the first reply on this thread...
Jim Stoner Added Feb 5, 2019 - 11:23pm
With a few exceptions, the NFL owners are  jerks who have no rapport with their players.   So it's hard to root for any of them and their interest.

The game was definitely a snoozefest--at my neighbors', we managed to skip right over the halftime show (using the DVR, and some pauses to talk).   The highlight of the whole thing for me was the Gisele-cam.
White Hair'd Added Feb 5, 2019 - 11:32pm
That joke definitely earns a facepalm along with a big laugh.

Back in the 70s, wasn't there a famous line from a popular sci-fi book;
Do you Gronk?
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 6, 2019 - 8:36am
It was at one time rumored that the Packers would leave Green Bay. This of course fostered discussion that such  a move would be akin to the Browns exit from Cleveland: the team would leave, but because of their great history the team name would remain with Green Bay. When it was learned that the new home was planned to be San Francisco Bay the community said " no, thats ok. Let them keep the name"
White Hair'd Added Feb 6, 2019 - 11:45am
Noooooo you didn't just say that... hahahahahaha
Unrepentant Added Feb 6, 2019 - 3:13pm
In 50 years, "NFL" will stand for Neanderthal Fairy Lickers.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 6, 2019 - 4:05pm
Sort of a " Mr. Lombardi, we BEARly knew you" eh?
Katharine Otto Added Feb 6, 2019 - 9:33pm
TBH,
In the last 40 years, I have watched two sports events, the Super Bowls last year and this year.  It was a great game last year, but this year, it was painful.  We didn't watch the half-time show.  My sister wanted to see the commercials ($5 million/30 seconds), which are reputedly art forms in themselves.  They made me acutely aware of how much I've diverged from popular culture, as I don't have a cell phone, play video games, watch TV or movies.  I didn't understand the ads and wasn't sure what many of them were trying to sell.

As far as the kneeling controversy goes, I wonder why they play the national anthem at football games anyway.  Are we supposed to believe that brutal, head-bashing, barbaric example of toxic testosterone is patriotic?  If so, the US can afford to be pussyfied.

Finally, the players and their owners wouldn't make so much money if this modern version of Christians-to-the-lions entertainment weren't so popular.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 6, 2019 - 10:08pm
Touche! It is indeed about the Benjamin$ :) They make the money they do because Geico, Cialis, GM and AnheuserBusch (and the networks, of course)  pay $hitton$a money

I think the league should get smart....say screw the networks and all of the cable outlets and go to a direct subscriber system.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 7, 2019 - 2:03am
White Hair'd:  It was "grok"--close enough, I'd say.
Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land.  That book was so popular back then--I wonder how it reads now.

The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 7, 2019 - 7:23am
From one stoner case to another, Jim, pick it up again. A timeless classic. Heinlein was a master
Unrepentant Added Feb 7, 2019 - 1:33pm
Yeah, speaking of toxic masculinity, why not mention Mr. Heinlein! Although I've never read any of his books (I'm not a sci-fi fan; like many other things on this planet, I neither love nor hate it), I was intrigued by the movie Starship Troopers and the concept of a meritocracy, which the military is in many ways. I instinctively knew that whoever wrote the original story had a military background, and sure enough, Heinlein was a 1929 Annapolis graduate. Starship Troopers also has the distinction of being the only work of fiction on the Commandant of the USMC's reading list.
Ward Tipton Added Feb 7, 2019 - 3:11pm
Ummmmm, the movie was scarcely recognizable as having come from the book in that case.

This is a thirty second bomb. You now have 28 seconds to live. The book was great, and Heinlein was ... intense in his views of governance.
FacePalm Added Feb 7, 2019 - 5:27pm
Loved Heinlein.  i have a lot of his "intense" citations in re: governance, many of them from the "Lazarus Long" series, but i think my favorite is:

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
-- Robert A. Heinlein(1907-1988) American writer

As to the "toxic masculinity" demonstrated by American football, it's important to remember, i believe, that this is the last empire foretold by the dream of Nebuchadnezzar, the kingdom of iron mixed with miry clay, the "mystery babylon" where the bread and circuses serve exactly the same purpose as during the Roman gov't, but with a "kinder, gentler machine-gun hand," to cite Neil Young ("Rockin' in the Free World").  In the end, it's a show, it's a game, a distraction, a sop, a divertissement, a way to beguile and hypnotize audiences away from serious concerns coming down the pipe.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 7, 2019 - 5:54pm
Or it could just be a bunch of 13 year old boys trapped in grown men's bodies, hopped up on testosterone and performance enhancers got together and decided to make a club where they could act out their aggressions "constructively".  Then some clever prick comes along and figures out he can sell tickets :)
Katharine Otto Added Feb 7, 2019 - 10:39pm
Heinlein lovers,
I recently re-read Stranger in a Strange Land and found it as interesting as it was before.  I remembered two things from the first reading:  1) "grok," which is a great word and has no equivalent.  I'm so glad other people grok it; and 2) humor is always derisive, which I didn't believe then and still don't.  On re-reading the book, I didn't find that idea again.  In any case, I have thought about it for years and decided puns are not derisive, so that makes Heinlein wrong.

I recently also read Hellstrom's Hive, which was eerie, very different from other sci-fi I have read.

Jim Stoner Added Feb 8, 2019 - 5:07pm
I was a big Heinlein fan there for awhile (early '70's?); I especially loved the timeline he had developed for his Lazarus Long stories, and the 'future history' idea he had for that group plotting and executing the first interstellar migration.  Of course, that could only launch from the good ol' USA!
Starship Troopers:-- the movie, in six words:  Giant cockroaches, Buenos Aires, Denise Richards.
the book:  Early, no?  Can't remember.
Hellstrom's Hive:  Kinky bees.
In retrospect, I like the fact that his characters were full of life, and he didn't shy away from bringing sex into it.

Katherine:  ''humor is always derisive' - I don't recall this from Heinlein, sounds more like Hobbes.  It's an interesting statement.; and I agree with your disagreement with it; but too much of it is.  I try to avoid laughing (or even taking enjoyment) from others' misfortune, but it's hard to succeed at that.
A variation:  "humor is always derivative"?

White Hair'd Added Feb 8, 2019 - 8:19pm
@Jim Stoner-
"Do you Gronk" was a play on words.
Ron "Gronk" Gronkowski is a tight end for the New England Patriots.
He made a couple of great catches in the game and helped his team win the Superbowl.

I (very) briefly dated a cutey in 1989 or '90, who told me that she was in therapy and suggested that it was so good for her that she thought everyone should try it. On a lark, I accompanied her to a "group therapy" class. The psychologist in charge was pure dingbat. The class was bizarre, as were a number of vocal participants.
The lady shrink kept asking people, "Do you grok?"
Jim Stoner Added Feb 13, 2019 - 1:02pm
Sounds like a good lark.
Gronk is pretty much an unstoppable force, as he showed in the Stupid Bowl.

Recent Articles by Writers The Burghal Hidage follows.