Yearbook Photos and Quotes

I remember the quote I put on my picture for the high-school yearbook:
I had a good quote to put in, but I forgot it.
I wasn't actually being truthful with that quote: I had thought about it and decided that was what I wanted to put in, and further, I liked the way it suggested that my answer was spur of the moment.

What's the point?  A conscientious person is careful about what he says in public.  Even in that pre-Facebook era (early '70's), we knew, or should have known, by the time we finished high school.

To some extent, responsibility for publishing filthy yearbook material should devolve on the institution:  Eastern Virginia Medical School, who was in charge back then!?  Unless, of course, a yearbook is published entirely independently of the school by some local printer, which I think would be the exception.  The conclusion you must unavoidably draw is that these school institutions tolerated expressions of racial supremacy, while they would not have tolerated, say, nudity.

Knowledge of that should have conditioned the editors of the yearbook, and in the case of Governor Northam of Virginia, I would think it is critical to consult them as to whether "Ralph"* had been expected to provide, or to consent, to the stuff on his page.

In this sense, I think the best possible move in Northam's case was to announce his resignation effective in 30 days, giving the issue time to be fully understood.  It may turn out that way, anyway; he might end up resigning, and it could be just as well.  The same goes for Lt. Gov. Fairfax, who may or may not survive but deserves the opportunity to remain and defend himself if he so chooses.  If Northam is to resign, he should have the chance to control the succession.

One thing was clear in the 2017 election:  Virginia voters chose against racial attacks (see the campaign of Ed Gillespie, the Republican loser).  If the only reason Northam wants to stay on is to have the discussion regarding the deep-seated enablement of racism in Virginia's culture, that's worth ten full one-term gubernatorial administrations in "the Commonwealth".

Back to My Favorite Subject
I went to Jr. high and high school in Virginia, in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.  We wouldn't have put that kind of stuff in our yearbook, nor would we have it on our stages.  Why?  Because we had black people in our schools.  That's strictly-white-people stuff; the stuff some would do or say if they knew there were no blacks around,  such as in a segregated school or a private school.

Which is not to say there were no racial tensions where I was--there were plenty. Mostly they were below the surface, though a single incident could lead to big problems.+

So, there were a few people I knew who loved to make racial slurs.  Learned behavior, I'm guessing.  They sought to be careful, though, not to be overheard.  The rest of us, we didn't have to join in, agree or anything--just nudge them if they needed to shut up.  That's what I'm talking about when I say the problem--and I'm fairly sure it hasn't changed all that much--is the "enablement of racism".

I didn't get it for quite awhile afterwards.  It is the notion that it is not just a question of the safety of such talk, or of free speech; it is the need to challenge it.   What seems strange is that it isn't "on behalf of my'uns", but of course, that's just what it is!

I don't know about Northam's area--he is from the Eastern Shore, I've heard, which is a place unto itself--and, as I say, this medical school's yearbook thing is quite suspicious (as are the folks' motivations for turning this up just now), but he gets the chance to say what his experience was growing up, how people treated him, and how he responded.   Then, preferably, he resigns and goes back to his life in peace.

*His real name is Ralph?  Seriously?  (I always think of the actor Jeremy Northam, who could easily have portrayed the 'guvnor in the film biopic of this guy's tragedy.)

+We had about 20% blacks in our schools, typical of the area (Shenandoah Valley had less slaveholders than much of the South). Today, that population mix means "fervently Republican", for some strange reason.

Comments

Jim Stoner Added Feb 9, 2019 - 12:32am
Mogg,
If I understand what you're saying, and please believe me I have tried,  you are suggesting the blackface/KKK bit in the yearbook is ambiguous.  Certainly the comments I heard my acquaintances saying back then could only be taken one way.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 9, 2019 - 2:53am
Yes, of course, and there are many reasons why someone might join the KKK apart from just hating black people, but that doesn't make it OK.
Thomas Napers Added Feb 9, 2019 - 3:29am
I don’t think anyone should be castigated because of a photo taken 30 years ago.  Especially, if when the photo was taken, the photo was not considered racist.  As it relates to Fairfax, I think everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty.  Despite believing these things, accusations of racism and sexual misconduct never stopped Democrats from bringing down Republicans.  So I guess this is all a lesson in what comes around goes around.

Based on the standard Dems set for Kavanaugh, the entire Democrat Party looks like hypocrites and that makes me happy.  So the longer they stay, the better the Republicans look.
Flying Junior Added Feb 9, 2019 - 3:38am
Thomas,

Do you equate being photographed in black face with sexual assault?  Because that's what Kavanaugh did.  That's why republicans are so up at arms about the entire #MeToo thing.  They see no reason why a rising conservative star should have his career brought to a screeching halt just because of youthful sexual indiscretions.  That Brett Kavanaugh is just lucky that he didn't rape his intended victim or there is no way that he would be sitting on the SCOTUS today.
Thomas Napers Added Feb 9, 2019 - 4:01am
No…it would appear you have an issue with reading comprehension.  Allow me to help you out:

Northram was photographed in blackface.

Kavanaugh was not photographed in blackface.

Fairfax was not photographed in blackface.

Fairfax is being accused of sexual misconduct this decade from one highly credible person and it appears there are others.

Kavanaugh did nothing wrong, so he had no victims.
Flying Junior Added Feb 9, 2019 - 4:09am
Jim,

I am surprised that you feel that Governor Northam should resign.  To me thirty-five years is a very long time.  I am convinced that black people today are far more concerned about the character and deportment that they see from a democratic governor and about whatever help that they can receive from him than they are worried about a yearbook photo from medical school.

Mrs. Junior wanted to bring up Al Jolson.  I simply answered her that The Jazz Singer was from 1929.  I guess that the very latest instance of blackface in popular culture had to be Don Draper's boss, Roger, in blackface singing the popular racist ballad My Old Kentucky Home on the successful series Mad Men.  Anybody who is fifty-five years old has seen plenty of minstrel shows depicted on television and in old movies.

I think of my own 9th grade yearbook in 1974.  The yearbook editors, their friends and photographers were probably among the most aware of the students.  They took on the roles to put out the best representation of the class for posterity.  There was only one reference to drug use in my yearbook, a picture of three heads visible behind the tailgate of a truck.  You guessed it.  The caption was, "Three heads in a truck."  Those girls were, "heads."  It was a sub-culture.  I'm not ashamed.

My problem was all of the idiots who signed my yearbook.  My mom was so pissed off she basically shredded the entire thing.  Happily, twenty years ago, I found a 1974 yearbook from Muirlands Jr. High School in a used bookstore.  It really was a nice yearbook with a lot of interesting friends and characters.

People do stupid shit when they are young.  I almost went to jail or prison for an automobile accident in which I was involved in 1977.  (No one was injured.)  I couldn't care less about a photo of some guy in blackface when he was in his early twenties.  Virginia was a slave state, right?  There was active racism in La Jolla and Pacific Beach California when I was a kid.  It was no different.

People ask for forgiveness and move on into a bright future.
Flying Junior Added Feb 9, 2019 - 4:16am
Governor Northam was among those who actively condemned the violence at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville.
John Minehan Added Feb 9, 2019 - 7:35am
"The act of donning blackface may well be considered by some to be racist but that is only one opinion among several plausible explanations why a person might don blackface."

Unless you are trying to sneak into Luft Stalag 13 at night, that seems the most logical explanation.

John Minehan Added Feb 9, 2019 - 7:46am
Neither of the people in the photo looks like Gov. Northam and, given his background, I take him at his word.

However, why did the picture appear at all?

The '80s were an interesting time.  Reagan's election probably meant that many people thought we were going to re-think, and re-trench on, a lot of the progress and social change that came with the 1950s and 1960s.  In any time, young people test boundaries.

I knew Gov. Northam by reputation.  He was a 1st Classman (and 1st Battalion Commander and Honor Court President) when I was a Rat at VMI.  He was widely respected as a man of integrity and good judgment.

However, that does not mean he was right in this case or that he shouldn't resign.  At minimum, people have to feel you are their governor.
Dino Manalis Added Feb 9, 2019 - 9:09am
 Be careful and behave in those yearbook pictures, because you may be accused of something decades later!
Leroy Added Feb 9, 2019 - 9:11am
I've never been given a choice about the content in a yearbook.  I had a friend of sorts who was on the yearbook staff.  Without any permission, be made a comment about my future.  He bragged about it.   I thought the comment was so inane, that I had to ask, "Why?"  I was too dense to see the sexual innuendo.   Good thing that I have no aspiration to public office.

We hear that in Northam's case, the students submitted photos in sealed envelopes.  I don't trust people's memories from that long ago.  I can say beyond a doubt that the person in the KKK hood is not Northam.  They say that an associate of Northam had pants like the one in blackface.  I had pants like that too--in 1972-73.  It was well out of style by 1976.  One wouldn't be caught dead in sometime like that in the 80s.  It leads me to believe that the photo is very old.

In any case, we should understand the context of the photo.   I'll throw out this scenario.  What if he and a black friend got together and he agreed to dress blackface and the black friend in KKK gear?  That would have been consistent with my cynical generation.  The hand extending from the white robe seems awfully dark.

It's all moot.  He admits to being in blackface.  He says it was to emulate Michael Jackson.  My guess is that he is trying to rationalize the behavior.

The Lt. Gov has a second accuser.  There seems to be a movement to hang him high without a trial--a modern day lynching.
Steel Breeze Added Feb 9, 2019 - 9:17am
strange.....if someone black dressed in 'whiteface'.......i couldnt care less.......
TexasLynn Added Feb 9, 2019 - 9:44am
Yes, this has a lot to do with Governor Ralph Northam... but to me it's more about the left and the standards (or actually the double standards) they employ.  Take the three men involved here...
1) Governor Ralph Northam (D) in black-face
2) Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) with sexual assault (x2)
3) Attorney General Mark Herring (D) in black-face

Now use your imagination and pretend that those (D)s were (R)s... would the lefts reaction be the same?  Not just no... but hell no.  We're talking about (in this post) Northam having a chance to reply or prove something.  Why?  Because he's a leftist Democrat.  Right or wrong, the left decided they wanted zero tolerance on this stuff... and NOW some/many are rethinking that.

Look at Megan Kelly... she didn't wear black-face, all she did was ask a question about it... and ... she's gone.  Why?  Not a leftist Democrat.  How much of a chance to explain or prove anything did she get?  And I'm not a Megan Kelly fan... just an impassionate observer.  Kavanaugh?  It (explaining or proving) was never going to happen?  Any other Republican or conservative?  That question was rhetorical.

Me?  I'm all for stepping back and looking at the facts and the situation.  You know what I'm for even more than that?  Consistency.

To me... that's the story here.

Looking at a slightly more important subject concerning Governor Ralph Northam... He should resign, IMO... for his stance on infanticide.
George N Romey Added Feb 9, 2019 - 9:45am
This will become the new normal. Digging up dirt from one's youth. In 20 years it will become nearly impossible to get elected to a national office because the Internet and social media will so have your life archived.  The same for any company CEO or entertainer.

It will be for small infractions.  A picture of someone drunk, sucking face with some chick (because you must have then raped her), doing a bong hit.  Morons that think social media is so wonderful won't be thinking so when they are kicked out of the big corner office and the big paycheck that went with it due to a post of them in college kissing 2 chicks/guys at the same time (including same sex).

No wonder young guys have become such wimps.  Their scared to death to get drunk, high or laid.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 9, 2019 - 11:01am
Megan Kelly's a bit different case--it was a commercial decision to end her show; it didn't appear it was a good fit.  She got well paid off, I'm sure.

Mr. Junior:  I didn't say Northam had to resign, and I don't think he does.  I can't imagine his being impeached for the "crime".  What I intended to say is, if he chose to sacrifice the rest of his term to take on this pervasive racial issue in his state (he can't be re-elected, under Virginia law), that would be honorable.  And, if it turns out that he really had nothing to do with it, that he was pranked (as appears to be the case with the 'coonman' epithet found elsewhere), then he's only guilty of turning a blind eye to it and (apparently) forgetting it happened, a much lesser sin.  I think, with a little time, the facts will out.

George,  I am quite certain young guys still get drunk, high, and/or laid.  A couple things have changed, though: people don't care about that stuff much if no one else was harmed, and there's a little more accountability these days if someone was harmed.

Dino, As so often happens, I agree with you!

Steel Breeze:  It's not exactly the same, but you might want to check out Spike Lee's movie, "BlacKKKlansman".  It features a black cop "talking white" to infiltrate the Klan.  Actually, "Sorry to Bother You" has a similar meme--it seems quite funny to me at this point in time--but I hesitate to recommend it because its ending is totally bizarre.  I guess this is that moment, when white people begin to see how some African Americans really see us.
TexasLynn Added Feb 9, 2019 - 1:58pm
Jim S >> We don't have to wonder about what happens if a guy has a (R) in front of his name--now the expanding melodrama includes a prominent Virginia Republican (Tommy Norment) who ran the yearbook at his school (VMI) and allowed blackface (and racial slurs) in it.

Jim S >> No plausible deniability there--let's see what he does.

The question isn't even what HE does... it’s what the left does and the "standard" applied.  There is little doubt in my mind the left would hang him (R guy).  And... we're back to the (D guys) and... and... and... and... not a whole lot happening.  Why?  The Ds.

Jim S >> Megan Kelly's a bit different case--it was a commercial decision to end her show; it didn't appear it was a good fit.

Oh?  I missed that part.  All I heard was the bit about the racism.  You are right as for the reason... it wasn't a good fit.  But her leftist bosses couldn't just say that.  They went the race route instead.  There's a word for that... hypocrisy.

I'll say it again... that (hypocrisy) is the story here.

Jim S >> She got well paid off, I'm sure.

Not that I was a fan of Megan Kelly... but good for her.  She screwed a bunch of disingenuous assholes.  I always consider that a karma induced win.  Let's hope we see a repeat here.
John Minehan Added Feb 9, 2019 - 4:27pm
"Texas Lynn:  We don't have to wonder about what happens if a guy has a (R) in front of his name--now the expanding melodrama includes a prominent Virginia Republican (Tommy Norment) who ran the yearbook at his school (VMI) and allowed blackface (and racial slurs) in it.  No plausible deniability there--let's see what he does."

He was Class of '68.

That was a good Class.

One of my TACs was Robert I. McPherson'68 then Major of Marines (later Colonel of Marines).  I was Fire Support Officer for Steven Wilson '68 then LTC, AR (later COL, AR).

Not everything was perfect.  Not everything was done as it should have been.

But '72 was also a good class, that provided several of our TACs.
TexasLynn Added Feb 9, 2019 - 6:46pm
John M >> He was Class of '68.

I know right... Half a ^%$#ing century ago.  And the guy edited a yearbook.  And THAT was the best thing the asswipes (referring to Dem operatives, not present company) could come up with.  THAT is what they hung their hat on?

John M >> That was a fraught time.  Vietnam.  The first Black Cadets were admitted in the Fall of 1968 with the Class of 1972.

I was barely out of diapers.  I was never in the armed forces.  All I can do is thank each and every man and woman who ever served.  We owe a debt of gratitude we can hardly even comprehend. IMO.

Some of us not only don't have that appreciation but would throw such men under a bus on a political whim.  It makes me sick.

John M >> Not everything was perfect.  Not everything was done as it should have been.

Exactly... that true of any time... especially now.  Can you imagine what will be said about this day and time 50 years from now.
TexasLynn Added Feb 9, 2019 - 6:47pm
I'll say it again, I'm all for sanity in this mess.  Giving some benefit of the doubt, giving some benefit of defense before one's accusers, getting to the bottom of what happened and the times it happened in.  But this is a monster of the lefts own creation that has gone mad with the Trump administration (best evidenced by the Kavanaugh hearings).  Now that monster is flailing on the Democrats.  Good.  Karma I say.

If the left is ready to subdue what they have wrought, OK... let's do that.  Let's even start here and now with these guys in Virginia.  But I'll be dammed if I'll be silent when the monster applies to the right... and not the left.  It applies to all, or it applies to none.
Flying Junior Added Feb 10, 2019 - 12:38am
You need to hang out with more black people.  Maybe watch them on TV?  Black Studies at the University of California Los Angeles...  Podcasts.  Anything.  Black people are not that different than white people.  You are plugged into dangerous media.  They have all lived here in the United States as long as anybody else.  You would be surprised to find out how willing black people are to welcome white people as friends.  I can always find the love that I need, baby.
Cliff M. Added Feb 10, 2019 - 11:18am
Sad to say but high school year books are a place that some real stupid shit usually written or posted by asshole friends ends up.It depends upon how liberal or what era the schools people went to as to what the editors let go to print. I do not condone bias or racism but year books are not one of the best barometers of evaluating a persons character.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 10, 2019 - 8:48pm
Texas: A desperate, manufactured false equivalence for some ass covering.  He was an editor for a yearbook, vs guys who did the deed. ( Regarding the Republican majority leader--old guy who blackfaced in '68)

It was all manufactured for this "event" (except possibly the first Lt. Gov. Fairfax accusation, I think that was out there in the arena already).  The proximate cause was the offense given by Northam to anti-abortion activists, who put it out for him.  The Atty. Gen. spoke up after some reflection; smart, and he should survive the moment.  There might be a few more who come forward; now (or soon) would be a good time, though it adds to the madness.

Bottom line, from my view: Much of Virginia's dominant political culture needs some re-education.  I'm guessing the same is true of the Carolinas, too, though they are not yet in the "reformation".
Jim Stoner Added Feb 10, 2019 - 10:33pm
I found that some people here didn't get what I was saying about my experience in my town in VA.  People's stance with regard to racist attitudes and behaviors fell inito 4 categories:
1) Actively racist in speech and deed (your "deplorables");
2) Tolerating group 1)'s activities (providing cover, you could say)
3) Had no contact with group 1); and
4) Actively challenged 1) when it came across their activities (some African-Americans--"blacks"--were among this group).

Group membership was somewhat fluid, but I found it hard to be in group 3); maybe that has changed somewhat.  Group 4) is the one that was too small, and it probably still is.  The Charlottesville riots (less than 50 km from my town) were  a classic 1) vs. 4) confrontation, which is how the violence usually started then, too.
Allen William Added Feb 11, 2019 - 1:22am
Jim,

You've provoked a great discussion and debate.  I'd like to be clear on one thing about Northam before I dive in.  Based on his position on abortion alone, I am not a fan (putting it mildly), but that's for another discussion.  It is not my intention to "defend" him here, although I'm sure someone will take it that way.  Here' goes....

I have often mused when I here of some celebrity/politician in the news being called out for a previous post or yearbook pic from years or decades ago.  Fortunately, I have nothing like that in my past.  However, I do look at some of my previous FaceBook posts from years ago and ask myself, "who was that guy?"  The point is, I am NOT the same person today that I was 10 years ago and certainly not the same person I was 32 years ago!! (When I was graduating H.S.)

Don't get me wrong.  Northam's yearbook pics do not look good.  Granted, things like that were somewhat "the norm" back then, and need to be considered.  It was the culture of the time, as wrong as it was.  The way he handled it was just as bad though.  Instead of admitting it was him and how wrong it was - he tried to deny it was him.  What a mess...

Let's say he was "racist" back then.  Maybe he looked at African-Americans in a bad way, but now he has grown and matured.  Shouldn't we all get the chance to do that and grow as a human?  Shouldn't we be given the benefit of the doubt?

So the question to ask oneself here is....  What if you were called out on something you said many years ago and you are not that same person today?

Jim Stoner Added Feb 11, 2019 - 2:02am
Allen William
Thanks for your comment.  Northam will have the chance to show he's a changed guy.   The probability has shifted to him not leaving at all now; we'll see if the cries for him to quit will abate.  It now looks like Lt. Gov. Fairfax may be the one to go.
Allen William Added Feb 11, 2019 - 2:09am
Jim,  you may be right on Fairfax.  It doesn't look good, but shouldn't he be given his day in court? (So to speak?)  I am not following this that much but is there any evidence other than the women's accusations?
Jim Stoner Added Feb 11, 2019 - 2:28am
I think you realize that it won't ever go to court, except that of public opinion.  I would rate the accusations against him as stronger than those against Kavanaugh and weaker than those against Trump or Clinton.   Of course, none of those guys surrendered in the end.
opher goodwin Added Feb 11, 2019 - 9:41am
Jim - I think you are right. It is revealing of the attitudes to race that prevailed back then.
If a girl had wanted to appear with bare breast I am sure that the school authorities would have soon stepped in but to go black faced or in a KKK hood was just seen as a bit of fun.
Except it wasn't fun, was it? It was revealing of an underlying culture of racism that persists to this day.
TexasLynn Added Feb 11, 2019 - 7:30pm
Jim S >> Northam will have the chance to show he's a changed guy.

Yes he will.   And THAT is the point.  No such chance would ever be afforded a Republican or conservative; proving the double standard on the left.  Proving this is all about politics; not truth, not racism, not morality.

Northam should have the chance he'll have... so should your Republican victims.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 12, 2019 - 12:43am
I would not agree that there is a double standard.  I would say that the way these things play out is mostly about politics.   Contrary to what the PR guys say, there is little gained by owning up and doing the honorable thing if the evidence is not manifest, and most politicians opt out.  Defy and deny if possible seems to be the usual strategy.
Ward Tipton Added Feb 12, 2019 - 7:04am
"In 20 years it will become nearly impossible to get elected to a national office because the Internet and social media will so have your life archived. "

Unless you are part of the American Aristocracy and/or the Establishment Elite.
opher goodwin Added Feb 12, 2019 - 12:31pm
People make mistakes. If it is a one-off then they should apologise, be forgiven and move on.
If it's more than that well - no public office.
TexasLynn Added Feb 12, 2019 - 2:23pm
Jim S >> I would not agree that there is a double standard.

Other than this statement... I agree with what you say. But it isn't a question of what people do on both sides (defy and deny), it's a question of if that strategy has any hope of working. One the left it does on the right, it doesn't.

I don't see how anyone can honestly say that if the scenario taking place in Virginia were duplicated with Republicans (instead of Democrats) these three gentlemen would be given ANY benefit of the doubt, that the media reaction would be the same, that the level of indignation would be the same, that they would still be in office this long. None of these things are even remotely plausible.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 12, 2019 - 3:16pm
Well, I could mention our current President, who resisted calls for him to drop out from many in his own party in 2016, defies and denies the sexual allegations, and....well, let's just say hasn't exactly had a clean nose in his business and personal affairs (despite being a germophobe).   It is a hostile environment out there, and lots of people are put off from ever running for office by it.
TexasLynn Added Feb 12, 2019 - 4:15pm
 Jim S >> Well, I could mention our current President...

You could, but I would remind you (again) that the double standard isn't in the predictable actions of the accused but in the reaction of the media and the left towards the accused.

Your example may actually be a good one to prove my point.  Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are guilty of sexual impropriety.  From day one Clinton was given the benefit of the doubt and defended by both (media and left) ... even after it was obvious, he was guilty and lying.  Trump was hounded with zero benefit of the doubt from day one.

Kavanaugh?  Hounded and assumed guilty from day one with zero benefit of the doubt, no chance to defend himself.  The standard was "He's guilty, we believe his accuser, he needs to go away in shame".

Northam, Fairfax, and Herring (Democrats)?  Well... we're three weeks into this and it's looking like they'll be fine.

Benefit of the doubt?  Extended.

Are they different now (not racist or predators)?  Are they reformed?  Let's give them a chance to prove it.  Let's not be hasty.

Name one Republican in recent history (30 or 40 years) such open-minded fairness has been extended too.  There isn't one.  Yet we can name three "lucky" Democrats in just the last month.  If that doesn't scream double standard, I don't know what does.
Jim Stoner Added Feb 13, 2019 - 12:48am
TL:  I'm talking more about the outcomes than the strategy.  Slick Willie, Kavanaugh both stayed the course and came out the other side.  Trump will not fall because of his sexual impropriety--it's just one more example of his disgusting standard of behavior toward others.

If he falls it will either be due to corrupt activity by himself or by his children (and his taking a sacrifice to protect them), or, most likely, both.   And if any of the "Virginia boys" go down, it will be for something criminal (like former VA gov. McDonnell), or because they no longer care to stay the course.  And I don't blame anyone for calling out that this is B.S. and taking their briefcase back home if they feel unfairly treated.  (see Al Franken)   I would encourage Trump to do that: get out while the gettin' is good.

The media was all over every single one of these cases, wreaking plenty of havoc.  That's what they do, on both sides, and they are like sharks when there is a sniff of blood.
Flying Junior Added Feb 13, 2019 - 5:11am
The best of sentiments, my brothers.

Recent Articles by Writers Jim Stoner follows.