The case for Glenn Beck

After the 9-11 terrorist attacks, I became a news junkie wanting as much information on how it happened, who did it and what would be our response? I quickly found myself listening to Sean Hannity on a regular basis through my AM stations when I was coming home from work.

Fast forward a few months to the middle of summer 2002. I was driving from New Jersey, where I lived, through Pennsylvania to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri on my way to my Army Reserve annual training event. There were no satellite radio then, only iPods, CDs and whatever noise came out of the local stations.

After Hannity’s show ended, I left the station on and began to hear “The Glenn Beck Program”. I truly enjoyed it. Very much different than Sean, a little more relaxed, funny and at the time, not very political. He and his crew (Pat & Stu) mostly talked about current events and silly, uplifting home grown stories. The further west I got, I lost the signal and that was it. Back to my old fashioned iPod and CDs. I was a little disappointed.

Eventually, Glenn Beck’s show did become syndicated and also produced a podcast I would tune in to regularly. I remember he adamantly promoted his show as the “Third most listened to radio talk show in the America” behind Hannity and Limbaugh. He was clear to point that out and content with the ranking because the theory of being the higher you got, the more pressure there was to stay on top. I respected Glenn’s humbleness, and became one of his regular “Sick Twisted Freaks”.

As time went on, Glenn’s radio program and listeners continued to grow and I along with it. He became more political (as did I), but still stayed true to his principles, values and reporting style. Glenn went from a simple radio talk show host to a syndicated giant who produced his own television network. As one of his original fans (as I like to call it), I am very proud of him and all that he has accomplished. As he grew and progressed in life and politics, I too did the same.

Of course Glenn Beck is not everyone’s cup of tea, even too many Conservatives and Libertarians. Some think he is a loon, nut-job, “Mormon” or a crazy conspiracy theorist, like, say, Alex Jones? Anyhoo…..I have to admit, if I turned on Glenn’s radio show right in the middle of one of his loud rants, I could see how someone (who doesn’t listen to him) might think he is certified crazy. Fortunately, I know better.

So why am I writing this? Certainly Glenn can defend himself, right? To be clear, there are those who will never like him or his views, but this is not really for them. Over the last couple years, I’ve been more disturbed not by his detractors, but by those who used to be his fans and supporters, then turned their backs on him when he wouldn’t, or more like, couldn’t support Trump. Why? What happened? Did Glenn change or did these (so called) fans change? In my opinion, the latter. Glenn’s principles, loyalty, values and integrity have not changed much. It was these (so called) fans that did.

I understand many Trump supporters on the Right were tired of being pushed around by the Left under Obama. However, that doesn’t mean you should vote for a President that will push around the other side now. I don’t believe that is the right way. There is a time and place for fighting fire with fire, and the manner in which Trump (at the time) employed his tactics was not very good. That was Glenn Beck’s main point and what divided many Conservatives and Tea Party Patriots who supported him. These people are hypocrites in a sense because when Obama bullied the Right there was a huge outcry by these “conservatives” of unfairness, but when Trump does the same thing, it’s a beautiful thing. Why? Because-Trump!

Today, some former listeners and fans might be surprised to find Glenn supports Trump now. Not like a blind less fool as many do of their “team” leader. Not because he had a change of heart or because he has “seen the light”, but because he wants our President to succeed and do good things, as he did Obama. He still criticizes Trump when appropriate, but also praises him for the good things. Just the same as he did for Obama. No one should want to see their President fail. Beck is not everyone’s cup of tea, but Glenn Beck has done so much for the Conservative movement than many others.

V/R

A Sick twisted Freak

Comments

Flying Junior Added Feb 11, 2019 - 3:54am
Are you serious?  Was Glenn Beck truly friendly to Barack Hussein Obama?  Because if you tell me that he was, I will have little evidence to refute your claim.  It was during the Obama presidency that Beck enjoyed his greatest fame and, of course, endured his fall from grace.  Honestly it seems doubtful to me that he ever said one nice thing about Obama.  Maybe he called out Limbaugh for calling for a failed presidency no matter how many people were killed or vanquished to lifelong poverty.  Like Rodney King said, "Beats me!"

I'm not surprised that Beck has softened his stance against Trump.  There is no money in a conservative radio show that does not support the monster.

Yet, I find elements in your article that I enjoyed.  I always thought that Beck was channelling Mussolini, much the same as most liberals have accused Trump of channelling Benito and his 1930s style of fascismo.  Beck was a fascinating character because from what I heard from older conservatives, one of his most salient features was that he was sure to piss off liberals.  He sure as hell pissed me off every time I watched five minutes of his spiel.

Believe me, Beck seems pretty tame in comparison to the caricature that is our president today as far as making my eyeballs explode with red, bloody veins and foul smoke emanate from my ears.  Still, I have seen in Beck some humanity.

Good for you for standing up to the monster.  He is no conservative.  His selfishness alone makes him unfit for office.

Welcome to the Writer Beat.
Allen William Added Feb 11, 2019 - 4:05am
Flying Junior,  go back and read this again.  I never said Beck was friendly to Obama.  I said he gave credit when due.  However,  there was little credit to give to Obama compared to Trump who deserves some.

Thanks for your comments.
Thomas Napers Added Feb 11, 2019 - 4:20am
People have been turning their backs on Glenn Beck way before Donald Trump became President.  His show was cancelled in 2011 and it’s been a slow downward slide ever since then.  Actually, prior to 2011 his ratings were in free-fall, so it was even before 2011 that his popularity was on the decline.

As it relates to Donald Trump, it doesn’t surprise me one bit his lack of support for him was the final straw.  Beck’s reputation was that of an extreme right of the Republican Party.  It was this group of people that comprise Trump’s main support network.  To say negative things about Trump was essentially like slapping his fans across the face.

I never liked him because I found him to be arrogant and preachy.  However, I agree he did a lot for the conservative movement.
Flying Junior Added Feb 11, 2019 - 4:21am
You're welcome.
Allen William Added Feb 11, 2019 - 5:03am
Thomas, I would be curious to learn of your sources regarding Beck's decline...  It is quite the opposite...

Considering most media and fact checking outlets out there are is biased against ANY Conservative, it's not likely they will report accurately.

..Yes, he can be a bit preachy...and he admits that...

George Kocan Added Feb 11, 2019 - 9:21am
To understand Beck, a person has to understand the Democrat Party and its ideology.  Democrats cheat.  They do what they want and call it good.  The party rejects the moral law.  They have no interest in fairness and justice for conservatives and Republicans, as their abuse of Judge Kavenaugh recently showed.  They try to enforce laws that do not exist and ignore laws that do exist.  This is all true because of their ideology, which combines fascism with socialism.  This is all a matter of history, which Beck has over the years exposed to the public.  And I suspect, that is one reason that Fox News got rid of him.
Michael B Bagala Added Feb 11, 2019 - 10:10am
First Glen Liked America and I liked him. then Glen liked himself more than America and I did not like the change.
Anyway, Glen Beck continued to blame 13 men for 9/11.  A Mission impossible job which penetrated NORAD and all the security around the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and downtown New York
-Buildings collapsed in perfect symmetry as if a professional demolition team is working.
-Tons of Gold disappeared
The Men who carried out Mission Impossible were easily subdued and its leader was hiding in hole in the ground in Pakistan.
For some reason, their "mission impossible" skills could not save their lives.
Bill H. Added Feb 11, 2019 - 10:55am
What we really need is a President who puts forth some effort to reunite our country and actually make some real efforts to create and return jobs to our country. What we don't need is a bunch of blowhard radio hosts who's goal is to constantly piss off "the other side" and supply fuel to the fire of Trump's effort to further divide us.
Trump's only priorities are to appease his base by being a catalyst for even more division and to enhance his ego and empire. He has sold out to the very corporations that he said he was going to reign-in and is a puppet of both Big Oil and Putin.
Kocan - You should actually research the definition of Fascism before you try to combine it with Socialism. Let me know if it rings a bell!
Dino Manalis Added Feb 11, 2019 - 10:59am
 Hannity insanity!
Thomas Sutrina Added Feb 11, 2019 - 2:17pm
Allen Williams, as I write this the Blaze TV morning program is ending.  I started with podcast of Mark Levin and wanted the two TV cast to join together a year ago.  Great that they did.  The Fox News 'Life Liberty & Levin' has taken away for me Levin from the TV cast, takes too much time to prepare.   I find the Steve Deace is my preferred person on the Blaze and Glenn is right after him.

We have a our socialist that try to turn the dogma of the socialist religion into arguments, but as dogma's go a belief is not a fact or the basis of an argument talking point.   You hardly find any citations in there comments because beliefs citation seldom exist.

The other problem and the weak point of our socialist members of WB is that they have to deal will a dogma that is fluid.  Since the dogma is based on 'man made morals' and the leadership are so weak in character, lack any moral foundation that we get contradiction that they must try to hid, excuse, egnore, and just say I as a master mind lead choose to change the moral because it is no longer useful.

Since Trump has entered office there has become almost a weekly changes to the dogma.  Our socialist members can not even keep up with them so how can they argue with us.  They just have to mindlessly present the new dogma.

The border wall, Virginia racism, women always are telling the truth,  criminals aliens are upright citizens without papers, and it is a crime for anyone but the pregnant women to kill the baby within her and now the Governor of Virginia open said that the babe is her property to do as she will until she chooses to get a birth certificate.  I know a lot of parent that believe their teenager is not human.   That crossed my mind more then once.   .
Jeff Michka Added Feb 11, 2019 - 6:32pm
Oh, and now we got more rightists coming aboard and trying to make Glenn Beck into another Edward R Murrow.  An we got decayed particle Sutrino telling us about his ERW media habits, probably to impress super trooper Williams.  You rightists need to organize a MAGA hat rally.  Something you actually understand, because obviously, you don't understand media and how your fascist strings are getting jerked around to keep you all as part of "The Base."  I'm sure everything but thoughts crossed your mind, Sutrino.  Didn't your parents want retroactive abortions after you were born?  Or are you a good case of what happens in a post birth abortion?
Doug Plumb Added Feb 11, 2019 - 7:48pm
Love him or hate him, he has done the Truth movement a hell of a lot of good. he got people thinking, the Left hates that.
Doug Plumb Added Feb 11, 2019 - 7:53pm
re "and it is a crime for anyone but the pregnant women to kill the baby within her and now the Governor of Virginia open said that the babe is her property to do as she will until she chooses to get a birth certificate. "

She is right. Mom has subject matter jurisdiction and the government doesn't. When the government takes this jurisdiction is when the problems start. The government has no authority to tell a woman what to do with her body. The government has jurisdiction over commerce.
If we need a moral guide, and we do, it has to be OUTSIDE of government. Reason is to be separate from the empirical needs of government and the fleeting needs of the people. This moral guide has been the church and always will be the church, like it or not. The church will be one of monkeys (the scientists) or one of God.
Logical Man Added Feb 11, 2019 - 10:32pm
What America (and the rest of the world) needs is an educated electorate!
Will happen long after hell freezes over.
Allen William Added Feb 12, 2019 - 12:21am
Thomas Sutrina, thanks for your support.  A shame what happened to Doc Thompson last week.  I am still waiting on Thomas Napers to provide me with HIS sources showing Beck's demise....  As for the rest of those here trying to poke holes in this piece fail to do with facts.  But this is an opinion outlet.

Speaking of opinions, what on God's great Earth, Michael Bagala, were you just ranting about?  Are you the President of Alex Jones' fan club?
What the heck is all this????  What are you talking about?

"Glen Beck continued to blame 13 men for 9/11.  A Mission impossible job which penetrated NORAD and all the security around the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and downtown New York
-Tons of Gold disappeared
-Larry Silverstein walks away with a cool 4 billion on an insurance policy he took 2 months prior to 9/11."

I would like to see where you got this information from and how it related to Beck.  Until then, I can't actually take this seriously.   I'll wait....

A. H.
Spartacus Added Feb 12, 2019 - 1:53am
Allen, I didn't see you making any case for GB.  I heard more apologetics for the man here.
In my mind, the idea of Trump divides people ideologically.  For or against.  If you were for Trump (from the beginning) you clearly understood the political climate and dangerous path for us if HC was elected.
Those who were against trump, which GB certainly was (see his Cheetos-face episode), is on the wrong side of me and will always be.  There were many on the right that had big concerns because he had never had any political experience.  These concerns were valid.  But that was not GB's concern.  GB was merely attacking Trump because HIS choice of candidate was defeated.  That told me that GB doesn't really understand or give a shit about America.  GB is a political opportunist and, quite frankly, a complete moron.
The only reason he shows any Trump support now is that he has no other option for his media platform that is economically viable.
Ward Tipton Added Feb 12, 2019 - 6:53am
I honestly believe Alex Jones is a government shill ... but to be honest, I do not have enough experience with any of the major radio hosts to offer any viable opinions.

Recent Articles by Writers Allen William follows.