Why We Need to Hear God When He Speaks to Us

On another blog, after I wrote that God informed me that Trump was to be president, an Anonymous commenter wrote: "What an awesome responsibility to have a direct, conversational linkage with god."

I don’t know if this commentator is my resident troll who sits in the seat of the scornful (Ps 1:1) But I took the question as serious. Anon, you are correct. Hearing from God is an awesome responsibility which requires action on our part.

As a matter of fact, the prophet Amos tells us that 3:7 "When the Lord God decides to do something, he will first tell his servants, the prophets. 8 When the Lord God speaks, a prophet must prophesy."

St Paul wrote that he wanted all Christians to prophecy ( 1 Cor 14:5) So Anon, it follows if you are to prophecy, you must first be able to hear God.

Prophecy has a number of elements. One includes foretelling. Another is prophecy as causative.

In causative prophesying, the believer hears what God wants. Then prophesying causes God’s will to be done. God created the universe by speaking it into existence. Now he does creative work by the spoken word of the prophet.

The Old Testament is full of stories of causative prophesying. One of the most dramatic account is when God told Ezekiel to prophesy over a valley of dry bones. The skeletons stood upright and became an army. I always believe God placed over-the-top stories to illustrate what is possible when we are operating at the top of our game.

In the case of Trump, the Lord began to alert the prophets in the early 2000's. He wanted Trump to be president. Several taped the prophecies. Others wrote books. I began supporting him  on my blog. It became the prophets’ work to take what was in the spiritual realm and declare it manifested in the physical.

Tens of thousands of us all over the world did just that. Trump won.

Yes, it is an awesome responsibility when God speaks to us.

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Feb 12, 2019 - 8:36am
Don

God informed me that Trump was to be president

Can you recommend me a hearing aid ? I have problems understanding god...
Don Added Feb 12, 2019 - 11:43am
Stone, you may not need a hearing aid.  You might be trying to listen on the wrong channel.
Eric Reports Added Feb 12, 2019 - 2:47pm
I thought Hillary was going to steal the election.  Remember John Podesta coming out on stage (instead of HRC, who was drunk), saying we're gonna count the votes, every vote counts, etc.
For Trump to win was a miracle.
FacePalm Added Feb 12, 2019 - 2:58pm
For one to hear God, first, they must a) believe that He exists; b) seek Him; and c) listen intently for that "still, small voice."

Of course, if He speaks like He did from Mt. Sinai, no one can say they DIDN'T hear, but many in that Day said they didn't understand, and further, that they didn't want to hear any more.

Interesting thought, though, Don, that when a prophet prophesies, it is the prophesy itself which is done through their words.  OTOH, since God knows the End from the Beginning, perhaps it is He who gives them the idea of the utterance ab initio.
Don Added Feb 12, 2019 - 3:13pm
Thanks for the comment Face. Prophesying as causative  is being discovered all over the world. That knowledge is empowering the disempowered. This discovery of prophecy as empowerment probably accounts for the explosion of Christianity throughout the Southern Hemisphere. I would not be surprised if people in these underdeveloped countries leap frog right over the tortuous route the Western world used to develop power.
Jeff Michka Added Feb 12, 2019 - 6:11pm
Ol Faced is just another bible banger like yourself, Don.  Perhaps, unlike Faced, you don't believe in UFOs and little grey men.  Maybe you do.  Ah, if we "all" only embraced Geezus, sighs Don. Faced didn't have scripture in his comments, so he must have stopped "believing."
Logical Man Added Feb 12, 2019 - 6:41pm
Talking to god is called praying, god talking to you is called schizophrenia.
I only believe in one less god than you do.
Don Added Feb 12, 2019 - 6:43pm
Nope, no UFO’s nor grey men—lizard people, well maybe.  And I do watch Ancient Aliens on tv.
Don Added Feb 12, 2019 - 8:15pm
Logical I am a board certified psychologist.  Hate to break this to you but hearing directly from God is normal for millions around the globe.
Jeff Michka Added Feb 12, 2019 - 9:37pm
Hmmm...are you really a trick cyclist, Don.  And your sky guy talks with you.  Great, and guess that means Ryan Messano's "whispering sessions" with the founding fathers."We want a state church, Ryan." And that is....in your professional opinion, sane?
Jeffry Gilbert Added Feb 12, 2019 - 10:28pm
For the umpteenth time:

When you talk to the imaginary guy in the sky that's called prayer, when the imaginary guy in the sky talks to you that's called schizophrenia.
Unrepentant Added Feb 13, 2019 - 4:00am
"Logical I am a board certified psychologist"

Did the board consist of hallucinating, certifiable morons, too?
opher goodwin Added Feb 13, 2019 - 8:55am
Hey Don - perhaps he ought to appear during the half-time Superbowl show and speak to everybody?
Don Added Feb 13, 2019 - 9:41am
Winger, all your physicians should be board certified.  I dare you to ask them if their certifying boards were hallucinating.
Bill H. Added Feb 13, 2019 - 12:19pm

Don -
What did God tell you about Trump's best buddy, Putin?
Spartacus Added Feb 13, 2019 - 1:55pm
What did God tell you about Trump's best buddy, Putin?

Jar Jar, those voices you are hearing in your head -- it is not God.  Get help, quick!
Don Added Feb 16, 2019 - 11:23pm
Thank you.  I am sure you are learning that if you are on a sincere spiritual quest, if you persist He gives you everything you ask for to help you along the way.
Logical Man Added Feb 17, 2019 - 11:12am
Does god tell you how to treat your patients?
Scary, if that's the case.
I think, if the board are not hallucinating, certifiable morons, they should reconsider certification, and quick, if they read your posts.
Logical Man Added Feb 17, 2019 - 1:31pm
If you find the concept of demons logical there's little help available.
Don Added Feb 17, 2019 - 1:45pm
Jake
As a psychologist and as a priest, whichever was appropriate for the situation, I have done  both.

Jake, hope you will be able to read my post on the intellect.  It was posted last night, then buried to the upper 20’s position.  After one works so hard on an article, only to see it buried, it is ver discouraging.

Fortunately, I have three to four times more readers to read it on my own blog.

The fun of writing on writerbeat is the large number who have psychological problems with God.  They are very entertaining.
Logical Man Added Feb 17, 2019 - 1:52pm
I have a tendency to reject that for which there is no solid evidence.
Silly me.
Logical Man Added Feb 17, 2019 - 2:05pm
I do.
Having seen the effects of psychotropic drugs on someone close to me when it was suggested I start taking them I refused. I'd rather struggle as myself than have something make me someone else. Some days it's hard, others not so bad.
Don Added Feb 17, 2019 - 2:27pm
I started in the field when all we had was Freud.  when the meds came along we had a whole new ball game.

One problem with psychosis is it hits the part of the brain that allows the person to realize something is wrong.

So one of the first great help of meds was the patient became lucd.  Realizing they were psychotic, they began to work with us to get better.   They also began to form advocacy groups for themselves.

I do believe that psychosis is a brain disorder.  That belief led me, with the help of stakeholders,to start our local advocacy Alliance For the Mentally Ill.

I became state president and appointed by the governor to several state and national commissions.  Some of which I headed.

NAMI’s success has been to convince people that psychosis is neither a psychological problem nor demon possession.  Because it is a medical disorder, it deserves not to be stigmatized any more than any other.

As a medical disorder it can now be paid for like any other.
Don Added Feb 17, 2019 - 2:30pm
Logical, the meds don’t make you into something else.  They restore the real you.
Logical Man Added Feb 17, 2019 - 2:40pm
I would disagree.
Big Pharma hides so much that any results they publish cannot be believed. It's all about the money.
The real me struggles with my place in the world because the world I am forced to live in is seriously messed up. I don't think there's a pill for that.
Don Added Feb 18, 2019 - 9:58am
I have to run right now and can’t respond like I would want to.  But so you will wait for me, as a priest I have been in deliverance sessions.  Demons are real.

I wish you would expand on your last sentence.
Don Added Feb 18, 2019 - 11:44am
Thanks
Don Added Feb 18, 2019 - 11:47am
Jake, back to brain disorders.
Jake, your metaphor of being between two stools is a good one. Discovering emotional problems are brain disorders, the question arose for us psychologists "Would there even be a future for us? Or, would the medical profession take over and make us irrelevant?"

We are past that debate now, realizing treatment requires both psychological and chemical interventions at the same time.

During that time though, along with the patients, many of us seized the opportunity to convince the general public that now that we know emotional disorders are physical, than it is wrong to stigmatize the illness. Just as it is wrong to stigmatize people with Parkinson Alzheimer, Cerebral Palsy, Dementia etc. it is totally inappropriate to stigmatize anyone with a brain disorder, including psychosis.

In an amazing short time, we won. People with brain disorders no longer have to be ashamed. Parents no longer need to feel guilty that they had harmed their children growing up.

And, best of all, brain disorders have parity with other physical disorders. Insurance pays for it!
Don Added Feb 18, 2019 - 11:48am
Jake
Sorry about the bad trip on your med, but as you know all meds have side effects and even different effects on different people. The same medicine that2can heal one person can kill another. Because that can happen, it is really scary to read the cautions that come with them.
Don Added Feb 18, 2019 - 11:52am
Jake
As to the demonic causing types of mental disorders, as a priest I have had them speak to me. The first time, every hair stood up on me. In large deliverance services, as they come out, the stench becomes unbearable.

Unfortunately however, it is a subject that can’t be talked about in polite society. And as far as being a psychologist is concerned, if I had dealt with them when they manifested in my office, if I botched it, I could have been sued for malpractice. So I never tried.

Listening to an exorcist last night, he does his work in sacred locations.  It is safer.

Recent Articles by Writers Don follows.