Well, apparently WriterBeat is at a turning point.

As one of the first contributors here I have seen the good and the bad both in others and myself -- a great learning experience for me.

I will say this about Autumn (of the few things I know about her) . . . she is a champion for free speech.  She and her benefactors have put in so much work and money into this site.  I hope it survives.  For all your hard work to maintain its existence for this long I send a wholehearted thank you.

Times change.  Things change.  This is life.  Autumn, please let us know where you plan to be next as I hope you do not disappear from our reach.

Warmest regards and thanks,

William

Comments

FacePalm Added Mar 12, 2019 - 11:11pm
Excellent tribute, Stockton.
She's been noticeably absent lately; i think the last post i saw from here was 5 days ago...

But as i recall, she has a couple of children; there could have been a family emergency or anything that has a higher priority, and that's completely understandable.

She could even be having a major argument with the one(s) she hired to help fix the site, because instead of fixing it, it got a bit worse.

It appears that the more patient among us have figured out the work-around, but for many newbies?  They're perfectly justified in thinking that the site is completely down.

And i am glad i was invited here last August, and got to meet so many of you fine folk - creative, intelligent, often more patient than i, and so on.

The one thing which i value most about this site is the ability to be our own moderators, which apparently may go by the wayside if/when the move to a disqus site takes place.  AFAIK, this is the ONLY website which offered that option...AND, no one deletes you or censors you or otherwise interferes with your ability to articulate your position as nobly or as epithet-laden as you choose(on your own articles) - which is another feature which may go by the wayside, as well.

i just hope that neither of these two great principles disappear, and this site becomes just another homogeneous, generic, "mommy may i" kind of site where invisible smiting hands remove your posts without explanation or recourse.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:34am
I sign William's post.
Neil Lock Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:58am
Thirded.

And yes, an incompetent "fixer," and a lack of back-ups and/or software version control, are my best guesses at what is going on.
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 13, 2019 - 5:14am
I sign William's post in the form of yellow snow, lol.
Dino Manalis Added Mar 13, 2019 - 8:47am
 Autumn is an angel!
Webmaster Added Mar 13, 2019 - 10:01am
I don`t disappear from WB but just wait for its recovery. In fact, WB is still working but in reduced mode. Michael, you`ve got a nice new avatar, lol!
Even A Broken Clock Added Mar 13, 2019 - 10:58am
William, you expressed my thoughts very well. I have not actively participated in this current form of only being able to access the latest submission category, and I hope that either we will be able to move as a community, or we hear from Autumn about the final status of this community. I prefer that we continue, but will accept it if we don't.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 11:49am
EABC

I prefer that we continue as well, but if not.....Owl is testing something new just in case that WB doesn't get properly up again. Would be a pity when everything falls apart after all these years we've known each other :-)
Webmaster Added Mar 13, 2019 - 12:52pm
By the way there is an opportunity to estabish subreddit "Writerbeat   posters" and post there links to the new articles which are posted here. They can be discussed there too.
The Owl Added Mar 13, 2019 - 11:01pm
Autumn...Rest assured that my efforts are only to provide a way for just to continue the conversation so that we have started, not cut you out of your own project.

WB was your idea you took the time to put it together and launched, you have nurtured it to where it is today.

But there is a time when the child out-grows the stroller.  That time is coming quickly.  That it is not allowed to try to stand and try on its own, it may never mature in the way you hope.

There are a number of qualified individuals on the board that are interested in helping WB take some steps..

Stone Eater notes that I have taken on trying to load up a test version of a board using Simple Machines Forum's open-source version trying to duplicate all of the features that WB is currently offering, and a number of other adminstrative control features that makes operating a board more administrator friendly.

This is to be a test platform to see if we can help you solve some of the nagging problems.

I would like you very much to be part of the reviewer contingent to offer kudos and complaints that will solve WB's operating problems.  If it works, we can all talk about migrating WB to a new format.  If it doesn't we haven't lost anything since the new sight would remain visible only to a limited number of users.

This would eliminate any personal legal liability exposure for Autumn and those working on the project and would make any contributions made to the organization deductible from US taxes.  It would create and enhance copyright and trademark efforts if those became desirable at later time.

WB would, in no way, lose any opportunity to monetize the operation, and it could be argued that it would even enhance those opportunities through trademark and copyrights...essay collections like the Best of Jeff Michka and the Ogg of Mogg, or even Opher's Spyglass.

If the organization makes has less than $25,000/year, the only IRS filing requirement is a one-sided N990 postcard form, and no donors names need to be released.

The site gets monitored by packaging and selling our conversations in edited for.  Editors a organization principals can get paid when the money flows. Authors and writers could get residuals.

It's a system that could work.  It means more deck chairs the and more people sharing the workoad.

Many of us have bought into WB.  Will you let us help WB begin to take it's first steps along the road.

Theo Oule
Flying Junior Added Mar 14, 2019 - 2:56am
Owl,

You may not be genius.  But you have an active imagination.
Flying Junior Added Mar 14, 2019 - 2:56am
William,

I always knew you had a great deal to offer.
Passion Blues Added Mar 14, 2019 - 6:57am
Please don't go- I sign the post as well.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:02am
Likewise
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:51am
Fuck all of you mothafuckas!
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 14, 2019 - 9:15am
Michael - may be time that you go back to the Mr. Nice Guy avatar. Just dont use the rev's face
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 9:32am
All

Some of you will receive this mail:

Dear all

I have made a list of all which seem interested to carry on on WB or, if necessary, to be part of a new site. I've got 14 people who are likely (eventually, that is), and I send this mail to all of them, but as BCC, since I don't know who accepts that his mail is distributed to others. In case of interest, I can copy that list to any of you as long as all agree.

Thanks

Stone

Let's see :-)
Jim Stoner Added Mar 14, 2019 - 4:26pm
Thanks, Autumn.  I appreciate the opportunity I've had to exchange views with all the WB'ers.   Thanks for the salutation article, Spartacus!
Stone-Eater Added Mar 15, 2019 - 5:44pm
Autumn

At least you should have informed us a bit. We're kind of disappointed. At least I am - after all these years.
Bill H. Added Mar 16, 2019 - 11:07am
It's baaaaack!

Neil Lock Added Mar 16, 2019 - 11:15am
Yup, the ordering by recommendations is back, and... William has won the contest!
Michael B Bagala Added Mar 16, 2019 - 11:27am
Thank you Autumn.
your website is one of the few I know that where Jewish treachery can be openly discussed.
Even A Broken Clock Added Mar 16, 2019 - 8:39pm
Webmaster - can you expound on the possibility of using Reddit? My son is really into it, but I am not as familiar.

Autumn - many thanks for getting this forum back up and running. I was jonesing due to its absence.
Doug Plumb Added Mar 17, 2019 - 4:08am
re "Going beyond this, it might be best for WB to incorporate in a friendly state as a non-profit.  The new corporation could then seek IRS 501(c)(3) tax-free charitable status as an educational foundation."

Bad idea. Its like turning WB into a 501 c3 church. No truth allowed.
Michael B Bagala Added Mar 17, 2019 - 10:50am
Doug
Bad idea. Its like turning WB into a 501 c3 church. No truth allowed.
True, Truth and Profit is like oil and water. they do not mix.
Webmaster Added Mar 17, 2019 - 11:02am
EABC, today I have created the subreddit to post there links and comments to Writerbeat`s articles and may be articles of the same posters at other sites or just articles of the same topics to discuss. You can subscribe and start posting there links to get new readers for your posts at WB. If you or your son or someone from WB`s posters want to moderate this sub then I will give you moderator`s status.
Autumn Cote Added Mar 18, 2019 - 6:00am
Hasn't anyone ever told you not trample on the graves of the dead?  Writer Beat lives.  Not only that, I've met someone that can start fixing some bugs.
Even A Broken Clock Added Mar 18, 2019 - 11:01am
And Autumn, thank you again. I just posted and to my amazement saw the return of the Published Successfully page. It looks like that is one bug that may be fixed.
Michael B Bagala Added Mar 18, 2019 - 11:17am
Nobody's Tweetheart
Fuck all of you mothafuckas!
Was that a line you given in a movie that ended up being cut off in the editing room?
Spartacus Added Mar 18, 2019 - 1:53pm
 Not only that, I've met someone that can start fixing some bugs.

Autumn, this is great news.  Could you do WB another favor and please stop ghost-posting trash political articles?

Quantity does not equal quality.  I understand you need to get your "click counter" up but that is the wrong way to do it IMO.  People are click-bait worn -- which worked once but is a tired ploy to artificially keep websites viable.
There has to be another way to make this site viable other than you posting inflammatory words from authors who have no inclination to post their own articles here -- let alone "comment on other's articles" which is a rule you consistently require your LEGITIMATE authors to do.  The hypocrisy in your own rules and using click-bait is killing this site.  I appreciate you, Autumn, what you stand for and for your hard work, but it IS the wrong tactic for authentic free speech.
Autumn Cote Added Mar 18, 2019 - 3:40pm
I'm not trying to get my click counter up and I disagree with the assertion I'm posting "trash" articles.  The fact of the matter is that I don't read articles authored by newbies.  I'm simply looking for people that are either relatively long-winded and reply to their Disqus commenters (hopefully both).  I'm lucky if I read more than two sentences.

As for the rules, all newbies get a pass.  The reason is because the only thing they did was say "sure."  Take a look at this link to see exactly what I'm doing while you all get to have fun reading and writing.
FacePalm Added Mar 19, 2019 - 5:41am
Did you write the linked article, Autumn?
If so, it was well written, and i liked it.

Or, are you trying to persuade Linda to share her insights here?
FacePalm Added Mar 19, 2019 - 5:46am
Ok, i skimmed the comments section and saw where you invited "Zalm" here.
Autumn Cote Added Mar 19, 2019 - 8:44am
Here's another another link to where the whole process worked according to plan.
Spartacus Added Mar 19, 2019 - 2:46pm
Thanks for your response, Autumn.  Who am I to say.  Just an opinion.
This is not my website while I am grateful that it exists as a unique platform for free-speech.

Recent Articles by Writers Spartacus follows.