Three Generations of Talent

If the world of country music had royalty, Hank Williams would certainly be among its kings. Although dying prematurely and tragically in 1953 at the age of 29 (instead of 27, which seems to be the age that many talented musicians accidentally or deliberately pull the plug on the amp of life and go to that great backstage party in the sky), Williams found time between performing and partying to father a son he named after him. Born in 1949, Hank Williams Junior followed in his famous father's cowboy-boot two-steps, starting out as essentially an impersonator of his father before finding his own style and becoming another legend of country music in his own right. Personally, I'm not much of a country music fan, but much like my other arch-enemies of eardrum assaults, namely [c]rap, there are occasionally some songs I like.

Although Hank Junior inherited his father's musical talents, genetics worked against him in the form of alcohol and substance abuse. After nearly getting killed by a 500-foot fall while mountain climbing, Hank Junior suffered serious facial and skull injuries and had to go through a couple of years of physical and speech therapy. After more-or-less recovering, the perpetually bearded, hat-and-sunglasses-wearing Hank Junior went on to record a succession of successful and well-received albums, and continues to record and perform to this day. Once again taking cues from his deceased dad, Hank Junior found time in between being whisky bent and hell bound to father a son, born in 1972 and naming him Hank Williams III.

Talented, influential people don't necessarily produce talented, influential offspring, as anyone familiar with the work of Lisa Marie Presley or Tori Spelling can attest. There's no accounting for taste, and everyone is entitled to their own likes and opinions. Lisa Marie has the acting ability of a blue suede shoe and ain't nuthin' but a hound-dog when it comes to her singing. Speaking of dogs, Tori is ugly enough to scatter a blind leper colony into another ZIP code, and if not for her powerful late father, she would have never gotten a second look from a lecherous and rapaciously opportunistic producer lurking and trolling at a Hollywood bus station, much less a star turn on the casting couch.

Hank Williams III, on the other hand, explodes with musical talent. Taking a sharp turn away from the styles and traditions of his famous forebears, Hank III preferred punk rock and heavy metal to country and western, and wore Vans and concert t-shirts instead of Tony Lamas and Stetsons. Despite the change in attitude and style, Hank III, perhaps without surprise, also became a musician, and was a versatile and accomplished multi-instrumentalist by the time he was a teenager. Hank III evidently took after his grand-dad in more than just musical talent; when the perpetually price-tagged country comedian Minnie Pearl first saw him, she supposedly said, "Lord, honey, you're a ghost," as she was astonished by Hank III's striking resemblance to his grandfather, whom she knew personally.

From this:

To this:

To this:

What makes Hank III stand out, among other things, is the Jekyll-and-Hyde format of his live performances. The show starts out with Hank III and his band (The Damned Band, and/or Assjack) playing a combination of covers of the famous Hanks before him in addition to his own original country-western material, and Hank III plays it all in ways that would make his daddy and granddaddy very proud. Halfway through the show, Hank and his band transform from an authentic hillbilly band into an ear drum-assaulting, cranium-pummeling, hydroshock-inducing speed-thrash-punk-metal act. Hank III's hair goes down and the volume goes up. People who have come to see him for the countrified portion of his show start hitting the exits at a high velocity. Here are a few examples of the yin and the twang of his repertoire, listed by ratings of potential physical and psychological trauma:

Low - "Crazed Country Rebel":

Medium - "Long Hauls and Close Calls":

High - "Tennessee Driver":

Judging by all of the references to the copious consumption of drugs and alcohol, it looks like Hank III continues another family tradition, but as long as he can handle it and continues to produce good music, none of his fans care. I'm sure the great Hank Williams Senior continues to rest in peace knowing the family business is alive and well, even if his grandson gets him to twitch every now and then.

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:26am
Funky Opera Metal Faggot

Yess ! That "Log hauls" song is absolutely cool. Gotta lilsten to more :-)
Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:27am
...just woke up and have no glasses on. Really, When A Blind Man Cries LOL
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:34am
@ Stone - LOL, yeah, this is another oldie-but-goodie I thought I'd dust off before WB gets...dusted? Anyway, Hank III is the shit, huh!
Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:37am
For sure !
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 13, 2019 - 4:59am
FUCK YEAH, AND FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! KILL!!!! DIE!!! RAPE!!!! PILLAGE!!!! BURN!!!! NAPALM AND WHITE PHOSPHOROUS BURNNNN!!!!! DIE MOTHERFUCKER, DIE!!!!!!

I meant to say, it is very good music, no? lol
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 13, 2019 - 5:40am
Not since the Vandals have we witnessed such an utter desecration of the C&W genre. I give it 4 out of 5 electric banjos.

Unrelated ....question: why is that hippie smoking a number 2 pencil?
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 13, 2019 - 5:41am
Nice touch coloring the grill :)
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 13, 2019 - 6:07am
@ TBH - Oh no, the Vandals! Anarchy burger, hold the government! At the risk of sounding obsequious, you are high among the most awesome motherfuckers it's been my luck, privilege, and honor to have met, lol. I would love to meet up with some of you fellow maniacs one day!

As far as the smoking No. 2 pencil goes, I modeled that on the aptly-named "Shatter Sticks" I get on occasion, which is essentially a Moonrock joint, lol.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 13, 2019 - 7:12am
We can all meet in Ladykillah's Bar (uh-huh uh-huh)

you mind if we dance with yo dates ?
Dino Manalis Added Mar 13, 2019 - 8:30am
 Party safely and stay alive!
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 13, 2019 - 12:02pm
@ TBH - That's usually when I would break out the BAT bullets...Blitz Action Trauma...BAT = SPLAT!!! lol
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 13, 2019 - 12:02pm
@ Dino - That's like admonishing a rapist to wear a rubber, lol.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 12:11pm
Baba The Oriental Country Hopper

Colt Ford

Laid back :-)

Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2019 - 12:20pm
And here is something that Rymess should recommed for his suday sermon.

Sorry, no country LOL
Bill H. Added Mar 13, 2019 - 12:33pm
Great article A.H.L.A.H. (got it!)
Moon Unit Messano is heavy, man!
My Grandfather was a Swedish steel guitar player who lived in Bakersfield (Oildale) back in the '30s and '40s. I was told that he performed with many of the local groups at the various "honky tonks" in the area with some soon to be famous groups. I remember him during his last years when he lived in the guest house on our property drinking a glass of Ten High bourbon, and playing his Dual 8 steel guitar with an unfiltered Old Gold hanging out of his mouth, long ash just waiting to drop on the floor. Somehow he made it into his late '80s.
FacePalm Added Mar 14, 2019 - 1:28am
i liked the turn of phrase "yin and twang."
Maybe you can work "sturm und twang" in there somewhere, as well; seems appropriate to the punk/thrash/metal thing, somehow...

Well-written article, Michael.  Caught my attention and kept it through to the end...and unfortunately, made me think of turns of phrase...
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 3:22am
@ Stone - LOL. I think the Swedish meatball band Ghost would also be on my homie's play list, lol. Someone was telling my rock critic friend about a certain band from there (or Finland, I can't remember), saying they played "symphonic Metal". My friend's instant reply was, "Sounds like they suck, but with class."
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 3:23am
@ Bill H. - Cool, thanks dude! Thanks for sharing that! It just goes to show that the less you give a fuck, the longer you live, lol.

Your mention of Oildale got me chugging down mammary lane. When I was a teenager, one of my buddies somehow got acquired a Polaroid shot of a certain neighborhood slut in a Hustler-like pose. Her tits reminded me of a mudskipper's eyes, her pussy looked like Chewbacca if he was passed out all fucked up, and her asshole looked like the end of a burnt hot dog. My buddy said he was going to send it in to Hustler, saying she was Ms. Oildale, and her fantasy was to have a drilling rig up her ass, lol.
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 3:23am
@ FP - Thanks dude, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:28am
Homeless IT Professional Playing With His Dick

Well, that's what bands like Nightwish or Royal Hunt are. Bombast stuff, high pitch singers (often women...terrible mix), some metal guitars and drums playing on 480 bpm LOL
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:43am
@TransientSwissSpongeProfessionalSlackerCommunistTitSuckingParasiteAfricanMonkeyFuckerWhoPollutesTheWorldAndSwallowsPutinCumAndLicksChe'sRottenAss;

I guess you have to take your final swipes at me before it all ends, lol.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:47am
Lovesick Housewife Stalker Screwing Hairless Police Officers While Praying Under A Christmas Tree

Yep. Will do, mate.
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:50am
How tragic, lol!
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 8:52am
Yep.

Driven To Tears - The Police :-)
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 12:15pm
Fucking cum stain, lol.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 12:26pm
Sensitive Child Molester Mourning Pet Rat

Nope. Police was a good band IMHO. When I was with Roxanne in New Zealand she's done me so good I thought I was walking n the moon :-)
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 12:34pm
The Damned - Love Song

I tried to do the in-out to the rhythm....but couldn't quite make it.
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 12:36pm
Nope. I meant you and your children, lol. Genetic sewage and that great band do not belong in the same sentence.
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 14, 2019 - 12:37pm
Oh, and your wife too, lol.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 12:41pm
The Jam - Down in the tube station at midnight

Does anything has changed in the last 40 years since that came out ? Fucking no.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 1:00pm
Horny But Choiceless Ameruglican Sexpert

When my wife sits on your face, you're as flat as a stamp LOL
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 2:45pm
Inconsistent Junk Food Addict Shredding His Pampers

Stromae - Papaoutai

Not ur style I know...but the lyrics are good. And the video too. Ok, the Mentors have nothing new, so what's it what makes you inconsistent ?
Stone-Eater Added Mar 14, 2019 - 2:47pm

Now who's the one in that video ? Take the milky way boys out and the chocolate makes it LOL
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 16, 2019 - 3:32am
@ Stone - Funny, as I have a thing for Power Trios, I was mulling writing something about The Jam...an underrated band as far as I'm concerned, even if they're such fucking Limeys, lol.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 16, 2019 - 7:40am
Yep. I quite like them.
John Minehan Added Mar 16, 2019 - 2:38pm
'Sounds like they suck, but with class.'  Which reminds me of something from Sophie's Choice . . . .
Nobody's Sweetheart Added Mar 19, 2019 - 12:43pm
@ John M. - I never saw that movie. It could also describe a Harvard-educated call girl who belongs to the DAR, lol.